Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I can understand to a degree, but I guess I'll never understand fully because in my mind, I basically think "if I'm able to tackle the content I want to tackle, who cares what gear I have or how I got it." And I don't think about it beyond that. Not to say anyone is specifically wrong in how they feel. Just different opinions and viewpoints.

Yeah, I think you're looking at it in a purely results-oriented way. The other way is sort of reward-oriented, if that makes sense. If you know that the great gear you raided for is cool and prestigious but ultimately won't actually be that useful for the next tier of challenging content, it sort of dulls the feeling of reward. Yeah, you got a cool thing, but it would be cooler if it also meant you were in the best position going into the next raid tier that you could be.

Mordiceius posted:

I do feel, however, that the crafted gear probably helps more people than it hurts.

I agree that having crafted gear as a way to catch up and stuff like that is fantastic, and it's one of the things I like about FFXIV. That's why I wonder if just altering the timing for when it's available might help alleviate some of the concerns people have with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I like getting loot drops from dungeons

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
On a completely different note, I have a question for anyone who plays a bard -

How do you have your hotbars set up? My wife plays a bard and is trying to get her abilities set up on her hotbars and can't find a way that makes it feel natural for her. I've never played bard and can't really give advice on that but I'd love to see how other bards set up their hotbars.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Fister used to talk about how people who did savage mode deserved extra story content because they put in the extra work. Shouldn't those who put in the time gearing up their DoH/DoL and playing the market board deserve to have their own advantages for putting in the extra work?

The other thing about the post you quoted--seeing extra story content doesn't deprive anyone else of anything, but being able to skip doing Creator Normal negatively affected Creator Normal for everyone who was doing it. You hear horror stories about the last healing check in A11N with propeller wind a lot, but nobody complained about A8N despite the latter being a way more challenging fight when it came out. There's a reason for that.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I hate giving other players resources since it gives them an advantage over me.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

How do you have your hotbars set up? My wife plays a bard and is trying to get her abilities set up on her hotbars and can't find a way that makes it feel natural for her. I've never played bard and can't really give advice on that but I'd love to see how other bards set up their hotbars.

the biggest piece of advice i can give is to think holistically not just about button placement, but about the chords in which you're likely to hit those buttons. the big ones for bard are making sure that bloodletter's keybind is accessible regardless of what other button you're pushing before or after (i have strafe unbound and use Q), that it's easy to hit barrage + empyreal arrow or refulgent shot together, and it's easy to hit empyreal arrow immediately after hitting straight shot

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

I have GCD shots and dots on 1 thru 4. 5 and 6 are AoE.

I have four extra mouse buttons and bind OGCD shots to those. Utility stuff is in shift plus extra mouse buttons. I do have Iron Jaws on one of these as well.

Songs are on R T and G.
MP and TP regen are V and B.

Self buffs are Shift R T and G.

That covers most of the main things. I don't have access to my PC or I'd screenshot it.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Reiterpallasch posted:

the biggest piece of advice i can give is to think holistically not just about button placement, but about the chords in which you're likely to hit those buttons. the big ones for bard are making sure that bloodletter's keybind is accessible regardless of what other button you're pushing before or after (i have strafe unbound and use Q), that it's easy to hit barrage + empyreal arrow or refulgent shot together, and it's easy to hit empyreal arrow immediately after hitting straight shot

I definitely agree with this and it's why I have bloodletter and emp arrow and barrage on mouse buttons. I'll make room for refulgent shot when I get it. I like OGCD buttons on mouse since it let's me use both hands to weave GCD and OGCD stuff.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Unless I'm brainfarting my ability names:

Bar 1 1-5 Heavy/Bloodletter/Straight/Storm/Caustic, M3 Repelling, M4 Stun/Silence/Invigorate, M5 Empyreal Arrow, Keybound Mouse side button Refulgent Arrow
Bar 2 CTRL-1-4 Iron Jaws, Peloton/Second Wind, Refresh, Tactician, CTRL-M4 Palisade, CTRL-M5 Wardens, CTRL-Mouse side button Minne
Bar 3 Shift-1-5 Sidewinder/Pitch Perfect/Barrage/Raging/Battle Voice, Shift-M3 Troubadour, Shift-M4 Quick Nock, Shift-M5 Rain of Death, Shift-Mouse side button Limit Break
Bar 4 Alt-1-4 Foe Requiem/Minuet/Paeon/Ballad

I use Keypad 1 for my keybound mouse button.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Anyone have a decent guide for a post-70 miner? I just hit max level, my gear is awful, and I'm sort of at a loss.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
I played this a bit before Heavensward, just got back into it and boosted a bard to 60 and transferred to Excalibur.

I really don't know poo poo about this game but I like it.

Which goon guild will take me and help me not suck so I can be rich and powerful?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Reiterpallasch posted:

kinna weapons were literally never competitive with alexander savage weapons, everyone could get a kinna weapon relatively easily if they wanted to, and kinna weapons weren't released at the same time as a raid tier

Fister Roboto posted:

Kinna weapons were barely competitive with Sophia weapons, which were available months before kinna weapons were.

Oh well shows how much I paid attention to cutting edge content. Oops.

I do remember people being pissy about them existing though... for some reason. Same thing with Diadem Gear, despite that gear being horrendously subject to RNG.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
well, if someone was using a kinna weapon at 255 when 270 options were easily available, the suspicion was that they either played their class very little or had leveled entirely through POTD, neither of which really inspire confidence.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ciaphas posted:

I know MCH is at the bottom along with BRD as far as DPS output right now, but how's their playstyle? Did the change to gauss barrel and their newfound mobility prove to be a fun mechanic? It seemed at first to me that managing heat would just kind of be a pain in the arse alongside managing your turret, but that was before we had any 70s reporting in.

I really like MCH but it feels like a hold over from pre Stormblood optimization and as if it didn't get any of the culling love every other class good.

You still have to watch for shot procs, on top of managing heat, on top of keeping track of ammo. In your mind you're always juggling those 3 "this is X so I should Y while my Z is what it is" variables while keeping Hot Shot up still while making sure off global attacks are always on cooldown.

Sometimes I forget to deploy/hypercharge turrets because I'm checking on those other things. I honestly wish they would get rid of them.

In PVP it feels so much more slick and streamlined due to abilities being baked into the combos and not having to worry about procs. You pay attention more to your character doing cool Matrix style flips to know what shot you just used and where you are in the combo instead of glancing down at your hotkeys to see if you got a proc to advance the chain.

Then you get Flamethrower and everything is ok because you just run up to roleplayers and fill their screens with glorious hellfire graphics.

I personally still like it despite it having a high skill ceiling still but the honest answer is you can poo poo out a ton of DPS easier by going with any other DPS class. If you play the numbers game then look elsewhere. If you like complicated poo poo from pre Stormblood, this class will be your jam still. I say this meaning the class is not hard, just complex.

Givin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 7, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the feedback. I might take MCH to 64 to see if I like how it feels at that point.

I like high mobility DPS classes, which is why RDM became my main at first :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

forums release my post from limbo

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I do remember people being pissy about them existing though... for some reason. Same thing with Diadem Gear, despite that gear being horrendously subject to RNG.

Kinna weapons are just people being idiots. Diadem on the other hand (at least pre-blue gear gaining materia slots) would be because you'd have to do a very terrible grind in a very boring and terrible event zone for a slight chance at best in slot loot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So are all these blue scrip tokens I have going to just rot in my inventory forever or is there a way to turn them into red scrip tokens? (I know you can turn actual blue scrips into red scrips).

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

So are all these blue scrip tokens I have going to just rot in my inventory forever or is there a way to turn them into red scrip tokens? (I know you can turn actual blue scrips into red scrips).

Yeah tokens are just pointless hold overs right now as far as I can tell.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i hope everyone has been saying their nightly prayers that Eureka is actually good instead of poo poo. if you missed a night you've doomed us all

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doji Sekushi posted:

I played this a bit before Heavensward, just got back into it and boosted a bard to 60 and transferred to Excalibur.

I really don't know poo poo about this game but I like it.

Which goon guild will take me and help me not suck so I can be rich and powerful?

Any of them. Head on over to catgirl.bargains (no, really, that's the site) and you can see the whole procedure to get invited to any of them. The guilds are all pretty much the same, though Third Party Tools has the strictest no spoilers rule.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TheRagamuffin posted:

I really hope Fray returns for more DRK story, someday.

He does

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

i hope everyone has been saying their nightly prayers that Eureka is actually good instead of poo poo. if you missed a night you've doomed us all

Eureka is good and strong and my friend.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its getting a little crowded on that soup crystal though

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Mordiceius posted:

As someone who raided back in Vanilla, how the gently caress did we ever manage to get 40 people raiding at the same time? It's loving baffling to me.

At one point my guild was running simultaneous Molten Core runs. 80 loving people raiding at once. I don't know how we did it.

because Molten Core was incredibly easy and you only needed maybe 15 of those 40 people to be actually good and the rest were basically dead weight.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

you are remembering this entire thing wrong. no one itt at least gave a poo poo about kinna weapons because kinna weapons were never even competitive with old weapons. people were pissed about the diadem weapons because it was possible to get bis weapons via rng and entirely possible to never get them despite tons of trying.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bleh I hate this rescheduled maintenance time. I wanted to MCH :(

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you are remembering this entire thing wrong. no one itt at least gave a poo poo about kinna weapons because kinna weapons were never even competitive with old weapons. people were pissed about the diadem weapons because it was possible to get bis weapons via rng and entirely possible to never get them despite tons of trying.

Oh no, sorry if I wasn't clear I didn't mean this thread was angry about Kinna. Just pubbies. Of course that was a long time ago so I could just be a dumbass with bad memory. I know this isn't the first or last time people have gotten mad about "x gear is a better for less effort" though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eureka is going to be incredibly good. Here's my evidence: Stormblood dungeons are great -> they're making one less dungeon on the patch that Eurkea will come out -> that missing dungeon energy will be transferred to Eureka via the law of energy transference -> Eureka is good.

This is also why Blitzball is going to be sick.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Skaw posted:

Yeah tokens are just pointless hold overs right now as far as I can tell.

That sucks, I had 54 gathering ones saved up as vain progress towards the next book

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Are we getting Deep Dungeon 2.0 in 4.1 or is it completely unknown now

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

That sucks, I had 54 gathering ones saved up as vain progress towards the next book

You can't even get red scrip tokens anymore. You buy the gathering books with blue scrip tokens (which you buy with red scrip).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

cheetah7071 posted:

You still use them for books.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

homeless snail posted:

Eureka is going to be incredibly good. Here's my evidence: Stormblood dungeons are great -> they're making one less dungeon on the patch that Eurkea will come out -> that missing dungeon energy will be transferred to Eureka via the law of energy transference -> Eureka is good.

This is also why Blitzball is going to be sick.

That depends, if they let whoever was responsible for Diadem within 2 miles of it, we are all doomed. If they beat that person within an inch of their life so that they are hospitalized for the duration of its development, then we're fine.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Bleh I hate this rescheduled maintenance time. I wanted to MCH :(

:arghfist:

Just realized with my PLD that I hadn't done the 52 quest when I hit 54 because I forgot to check and I'm not far enough along in the MSQ. That said, I have just one piece of Ironworks left to get, a ring.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cythereal posted:

This isn't even cutscenes, it's generic meteor quests.

The number one weakness of the FF14 story so far, I feel, really is that I feel like I'm trying to save a bunch of obnoxious, lazy asshats who can't be bothered to get a snack from the buffet table without hiring an adventurer to do it. Counting the class quests I've done, the only NPCs I feel like are even trying to pull their weight in this story are Y'shtola, Thancred, and loving Sylphie.

*bursts into the thread way late*

You... hah... should.... huff.... you should level.... *wheeze* dark knight...

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

funkymonks posted:

Now i want to see 8 person crafter content where you have to coordinate touches and only one crafter can finish an item per week.

didn't FF11 actually do this

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

The Electronaut posted:

:arghfist:

Just realized with my PLD that I hadn't done the 52 quest when I hit 54 because I forgot to check and I'm not far enough along in the MSQ. That said, I have just one piece of Ironworks left to get, a ring.

Not sure if you knew this but:

You can technically get two rings of the same type. Buy the first, then upgrade it, (I forgot how to do this with ironworks gear) then buy a 2nd base ring. Vola. Two good rings.

This may not be important for you since you're already trucking through the 50s, but later when you're making GBS threads Poetics it's not a bad thing to grab for another class set. Means a bit more for 60 gear than 50.

Givin fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 7, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FisheyStix posted:

*bursts into the thread way late*

You... hah... should.... huff.... you should level.... *wheeze* dark knight...

Would if I had the expansions and dark knight wasn't a tanking class. :v: Yes, I've heard about Fray.

But drat do I hate tanking, so I doubt I'll ever touch warrior, paladin, or dark knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

didn't FF11 actually do this

I don't know about ff11, but that sounds like hamlets from 1.0