Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I watched a bit of Critical Role when Rothfart was on the show and was pleasantly surprised that he can like, roleplay without being terrible and obstructive. It wasn't at all the kind of person I thought wrote this dribble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's a joke cover right? Like he's going to reveal the real cover and laugh about how no one called him out on it right?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The cover is great because it's exactly as sloppy and slapped together as the story but since you're forced to consume it in a single image instead of over a million words, there's no friction to blunt the impact

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The cover is great because it's exactly as sloppy and slapped together as the story but since you're forced to consume it in a single image instead of over a million words, there's no friction to blunt the impact
Yes but when I finish looking at this cover it is a complete experience, which is more than one can say of what's behind the cover.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Malpais Legate posted:

I watched a bit of Critical Role when Rothfart was on the show and was pleasantly surprised that he can like, roleplay without being terrible and obstructive. It wasn't at all the kind of person I thought wrote this dribble.

That's a shift from how he's always been when he does Acquisitions Incorporated. He was worse than Wil Wheaton.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BananaNutkins posted:

The tenth anniversary cover is a huge mess, which I suppose is an accurate representation of the text within.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2017/06/10th-anniversary-edition-cover-reveal/

It needs a reference to the several hundred pages of boring Harry Potter fanfic.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
We're probably lucky he didn't just publish reams of lovely LOTR slashfic and yell on Twitter at how genius his parodies are.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
That 10th anniversary cover is like the picture a kindergartner brings home that their parents have to pretend is nice.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Nakar posted:

Yes but when I finish looking at this cover it is a complete experience, which is more than one can say of what's behind the cover.

Hmm, this is a good point. I need to revisit my theory

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
trash bandicoot

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

BananaNutkins posted:

The tenth anniversary cover is a huge mess, which I suppose is an accurate representation of the text within.

holy lmao

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shout out to this dude:

quote:

I’m curious to know who exactly wanted this special edition: you, or your publisher?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Confusingly that cover is by a guy who does covers for Neil Gaiman, Ken Liu, and a bunch of other major people. I wanna know who the art director approving this stuff is if we're seeing all these problems but editorial is totally missing it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Maybe Rothfuss is being punked and we just don't know it

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Ccs posted:

Confusingly that cover is by a guy who does covers for Neil Gaiman, Ken Liu, and a bunch of other major people. I wanna know who the art director approving this stuff is if we're seeing all these problems but editorial is totally missing it.

Speaking as someone that has done a fair bit of art commissioning and can spot bullshit I would wager that Rothfuss micromanaged the design by vomiting up a list of specific :siren:VERY IMPORTANT NECESSARY:siren: elements he wanted present and demanded the artist "make it work."

This is what you get when you have someone that does art for a living and your client has both terrible taste and enough money to make you not care.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is the cardinal the bird that landed on the Ctheah(sp)? I thought it was something else.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It was a butterfly and also not in that book.

I expect the cardinal is supposed to symbolize something about Kvothe because mumblemumble redhead mumblemumble amyr

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The cover makes perfect sense if like me, you're a New God from the future and have read the third book, due in 2034

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Reene posted:

It was a butterfly and also not in that book.

I expect the cardinal is supposed to symbolize something about Kvothe because mumblemumble redhead mumblemumble amyr

Yeah, I know it wasn't in the first book, but I thought maybe he was putting things from all three into it somehow. Like, maybe that doorknocker/handle embedded into a stone wall for no loving reason other than to have a lute strap tied to it at ground level is from the third book or something.

edit:
Is it the Door of Stone!?!?!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, I know it wasn't in the first book, but I thought maybe he was putting things from all three into it somehow. Like, maybe that doorknocker/handle embedded into a stone wall for no loving reason other than to have a lute strap tied to it at ground level is from the third book or something.

edit:
Is it the Door of Stone!?!?!

Yes.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it was suppose to be elements from all three books. Like, the cover for the first book has Voldemort standing in front of the Cthaeh, two 'characterss' who I don't think have been in the same book together, and the Cthaeh wasn't in the first book at all.

EDIT: Well, to be honest, Voldemort really wasn't in the first book either. One short scene.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 7, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
What I don't get is the pile of garbage the lute is lying on. What does it mean.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

HIJK posted:

What I don't get is the pile of garbage the lute is lying on. What does it mean.

Look at this philistine who thinks that things have to mean things in the context of real, deep, and nuanced Art :smaug:

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

HIJK posted:

It played a note. And the note was SAD.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
perhaps only those who are truly poor will understand what a lute sitting in a pile of trash means!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

HIJK posted:

The pile of garbage is the Kingkiller Chronicles

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The pile of garbage is the Kingkiller Chronicles

New thread title. Right there.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

seconded

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BananaNutkins posted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thats a good one.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
"The name of the wind" was a Jeopardy category today.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

HIJK posted:

it means kvothe done went and hosed up his dang lute the same way patty roth hosed up books

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 19, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

"The name of the wind" was a Jeopardy category today.

Were any questions about the book, or was it stuff about language and gods or something?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

SpacePig posted:

Were any questions about the book, or was it stuff about language and gods or something?

They were about the name of winds. Trade winds, chinook, etc.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Someone involved with category names for Jeopardy is a turbo-geek. Last week the last two Final Jeopardy categories on one episode were "Shaka" and "When the Walls Fell" (Star Trek: TNG reference for those not familiar with it).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Patfuck Rothfuck

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Patfuck Rothfuck

Revise this to Patfuck Rothass.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Avshalom would've been in here with a few Trashrick Rothfarts by now. I almost miss her.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 19, 2017

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I like Rothfart. It's silly but not in a malicious way.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Pat-gently caress, raw-fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Bad-dick Rough-gently caress.

I honestly can't believe how much time and effort he seems to be putting into doing anything but writing, editing, or talking about Book 3. Special edition of 1, writing for failing Kickstarter games, answering fan questions about how cool and good he is at things, etc... I don't know why people still follow him so closely or regard themselves as genuine fans.

• Locked thread