Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Baronjutter posted:

I love how UFO poo poo has almost totally vanished from the conspiracy mainstream since cell phones became a universal thing everyone in the world pretty much has.

Holy poo poo, you just reminded me of some threads I took part in at abovetopsecret about how the governments of the world would be forced to admit the existence of aliens within the next ten years because the expectation was (this was around 2005 or so) that when everyone had a video camera on them UFO videos would become so utterly prolific that the reality of the alien presence on Earth would be undeniable.

Hell, back when I was still posting as Truckin A Man I ate a couple probations for posting UFO related material. I certainly believed that the smartphone would force the existence of ET's/Ghosts/various other paranormal phenomena out into the open once and for all.

Course, things seem to not have worked out that way. Sometimes I wonder how many embarassed former conspiracy theorists are out there versus how many of my former conspiracy peers are still hammering away on their keyboards, just now at The_Donald instead of GodLikeProductions?

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

they are using their smartphones to record other conspiracy-driven things though. I bet you there are tons of videos of planes leaving behind natural contrails chemtrails

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Ghosts seem like a future proofed supernatural phenomenon since they supposedly cannot be filmed with ordinary cameras. So whack jobs will always have a cover for that one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I love how UFO poo poo has almost totally vanished from the conspiracy mainstream since cell phones became a universal thing everyone in the world pretty much has.
There's still plenty of it floating around - I mean, Ancient Aliens is probably in season, like, 11 by now, as are shows like UFO FILES EXPOSED and the like. It's always the same dozen or so people, but that doesn't stop them from churning them out.

UFOs and ghosts and psychics and cryptid-monsters have all been kind of mushed into a big ball of woo - in this particular "documentary", in addition to aliens, we have ghosts, shadow-people, 'orbs' (for real, have these people not seen laser pointers?), and random prank poo poo.

It's gotten to the point where - because of the undeniable lack of any convincing physical evidence of any of it - UFOs and Bigfoot have turned into spiritual entities for a lot of devotees. I mean, people are even swearing that SA-originated-meme Slenderman is a real thing, and that all of these are "tulpas" - figures from our subconscious and imagination made real by our beliefs in them. That's why people talk about "experiencers" these days instead of abductees or contactees. I mean, if they are just experiencing it, who's to say it's not real, eh?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

dwarf74 posted:

It's gotten to the point where - because of the undeniable lack of any convincing physical evidence of any of it - UFOs and Bigfoot have turned into spiritual entities for a lot of devotees. I mean, people are even swearing that SA-originated-meme Slenderman is a real thing, and that all of these are "tulpas" - figures from our subconscious and imagination made real by our beliefs in them. That's why people talk about "experiencers" these days instead of abductees or contactees. I mean, if they are just experiencing it, who's to say it's not real, eh?

While I was homeless I must have sat through at least a half dozen detailed accounts of personal encounters with Slenderman from other homeless people. It was an experience that stands out for having seemed pretty surreal at the time- and that is saying something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WampaLord posted:

And yet there's loving searching for Bigfoot shows on actual television. And ghost hunter shows.

That's an interesting point. I guess Bigfoot is somewhat human-sized hiding in a forest, vs a space ship flying around in the sky. And well... ghosts. Anything that you can't easily create recordable evidence for sticks around as a popular myth. So we can expect Ancient Aliens to stick around basically forever since you can't outright go back in time

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had the TV in my cabin over the long weekend tuned to the History channel, and it was playing a thing about USOs: Unidentified Submersible Objects.

The real aliens are underwater, guys.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

I had the TV in my cabin over the long weekend tuned to the History channel, and it was playing a thing about USOs: Unidentified Submersible Objects.

You ever see some of the poo poo that lives in deep sea trenches?

Pity the lobstermen. :stonklol:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

QuarkJets posted:

That's an interesting point. I guess Bigfoot is somewhat human-sized hiding in a forest, vs a space ship flying around in the sky. And well... ghosts. Anything that you can't easily create recordable evidence for sticks around as a popular myth. So we can expect Ancient Aliens to stick around basically forever since you can't outright go back in time
One thing that I've heard is that a whole lot of these sorts of folks you'll see on H2 and the like are young-earth creationists on the down-low.

You see, the existence of Bigfoot something something disproves the theory of evolution. (A lot of cryptids do, somehow - Mokele-Mbembe is a favorite for this crowd. So is Nessie. Because you see dinosaurs being alive today means that ... uh ... they didn't all evolve or something? I honestly don't get the connection.)

Giants? That's pushed almost entirely by young-earth creationists, because there are giants in the Bible, so if we find giants, the Bible is true.

Also a whoooole lot of that "hidden history of America" is specifically about putting ancient middle-eastern people like ... ohhh, I dunno ... a lost tribe of Israel maybe? ... in the Americas.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Prester Jane posted:

Course, things seem to not have worked out that way. Sometimes I wonder how many embarassed former conspiracy theorists are out there versus how many of my former conspiracy peers are still hammering away on their keyboards, just now at The_Donald instead of GodLikeProductions?
Oh definitely a ton.

My brother who has an SA account has posted before about this, but we had a community college government professor who taught Alex Jones in the early 90s. While talking about right-wing politics, I remember asking him if he had heard of Jones, and his eyes got really wide and he beamed "Ohhhhh Alex!" The prof was very liberal, but he seemed to remember him fondly on a personal level. (Prof was a good guy: I can't imagine him hating anyone.)

He also recalled that at the time, Alex Jones was really into UFOs and would go on UFO rants in class.

I think the big shift occurred during the 1993 Waco siege, which I think is a major, major, major event in American history for the role it played on the mad-dog nationalist right.

Technology plays a role as well, but I think ghost-hunting, Ufology and so on, reflect broader cultural trends. Through World War I one of the big paranormal phenomenons in the Western world were angel sightings, such that British forces would be "visited" by angels or spiritual archers who would help slay their enemies. In the 1950s with the rise of the atomic age, science fiction, the beginnings of space exploration and jet transportation, UFOs emerged.

Now we've moved onto ... well, I don't know, exactly. Cyber cults and geopolitical skullduggery?

dwarf74 posted:

Jones also still espouses some of this stuff. Trans-dimensional beings and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUIcCyPOA30&t=2s

dwarf74 posted:

Also a whoooole lot of that "hidden history of America" is specifically about putting ancient middle-eastern people like ... ohhh, I dunno ... a lost tribe of Israel maybe? ... in the Americas.
Also Mormonism.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

QuarkJets posted:

That and searching and hunting are the keywords there. Oh sure we didn't get any actual proof, but we're just trying to look for them!! We don't claim we have them!

Meanwhile it's a lot harder to do a "hunt for ufos" show because it's not like aliens live in some common area/type of structures in the developed world. You'd be stuck just like, going to some of those places that have weird light effects going on like Marfa or something, but those aren't very impressive other than to make a debunking show.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah.

It was kind of deflating when I learned how many of these anomaly-hunters aren't simply sincere kooks exploring their weird area of interest for its own sake.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
My dad is a huge ancient aliens true believer and nothing will ever sway him.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I read the Ancient Astronauts and the like when I was a young goonlet. Totally bought into it. Then the claims got even more extreme, I grew a skepticism gland and started seeing the "anti" evidence.

Now all that (UFOs, USOs, rods, ghosts, cryptids, etc.) gets eyerolls from me due to lack of even reasonable evidence. Plus, I'm a little embarrassed about having bought into it even as a tad.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I found the rabbit hole of whatever the hell this is.

http://www.reformation.org/

http://www.reformation.org/page2.html

Even by conspiracy theory standards it's unique. Some random excerpts include:

quote:

REMEMBER, REMEMBER, THE 22ND OF NOVEMBER.
THE THERMONUCLER TREASON AND PLOT.
I KNOW OF NO REASON WHY THERMONUCLEAR TREASON SHOULD EVER BE FORGOT.
LYNDON JOHNSON, LYNDON JOHNSON, T'WAS HIS INTENT.
TO TURN WASHINGTON CITY INTO RADIOACTIVE RUBBLE AND CEMENT!

Nothing gets a Jesuit more excited than an explosion. That is why they teach that the universe was created by the 'big bang." For over a century, the Militia of Jesus has been intimately involved in the splitting of the atom and atomic research. Not for peaceful purposes . . . but to produce the biggest explosion.

Following the coup d'etat in Dallas, Texas, Lyndon Johnson was planning to decapitate the entire U.S. Government and reestablish the Confederacy with its capital at Richmond, Virginia!!

quote:

As a reward for services rendered, Hitler was rescued from Berlin by commandos led by Ian Fleming (Operation James Bond) and he spent his last years at the Berghof in Argentina.

The Berghof in Argentina was modeled on the Berghof in Bavaria!

quote:

As long as Canada is a part of the British Empire, the Canadians will not be allowed to have friendly relations with their next door neighbor, namely the great Russian nation.

President Lincoln was about to enforce the Monroe Doctrine and the flag of freedom was about to fly over all of the North American continent....That was the main reason for his assassination....Ending slavery was not such a radical idea because slavery was officially outlawed in 19 states prior to the Civil War.

Had he lived, President Lincoln would have annexed British North America to the Union, and French would have been the 2nd language of the U.S. because Mrs. Lincoln spoke fluent French.

quote:

Grant's Presidency was one of the most corrupt in U.S. history. All of the Presidents that followed Lincoln were mediocrities because none of them dared enforce the Monroe Doctrine.

Grant never made an attempt to enforce the Monroe Doctrine, but he did try to annex the Dominican Republic instead. Grant dealt with a dictator named Buenaventura Báez, who was very anxious to annex his country to the U.S. in order to flood the country with voodoo and drugs

quote:

With the U.S. policing the New World . . . and the great Russian nation policing the Old . . . the nations would have been forced to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. The Republican form of government would have prevailed all over the world and monarchies would have been relegated to the bust bin of history . . . where they rightly belong.

There never would have been a Spanish-American War, a First World War, a Second World War, a Cold War, a Korean War, a Vietnam War, etc., etc. The number of men, women, and children killed in wars since 1865 is probably approaching 1 BILLION . . . and there is no end in sight!

Because of the unguarded 3,000 mile border between the U.S. and Canada, British spies are more ubiquitous than the plague of frogs on ancient Egypt:

The Pentagon—the standing British army headquarters in Washington City—is also filled with Fenians.

The U.S. State Department is also filled with Fenians . . . not to mention the U.S. Congres . . . and all other departments of the U.S. government.

quote:

In 1861, 11 states out of a total of 33 left the Union. This is no marvel, because, according to the Bible, 1/3 of the angels were dissatisfied with the perfect environment of Heaven and joined Lucifer in a failed rebellion against JEHOVAH:

The number 11 ranks right up there with 13 and 666 as one of the prime numbers of Lucifer the Devil.

None of the leaders of the rebellious states dared to let the people decide by vote or referendum if they should leave the Union.

These rebellious states did not want to live under the greatest system of government ever devised but rather desired to be annexed to Mexico and live under an emperor!!

The leaders of the CONfederacy despised the U.S. Constitution and desired to live under a despotic Habsburg monarchy.

quote:

It is almost beyond belief but the U.S. Navy ceased to exist in 1901. The CONfederates failed to conquer the North, so they decided to substitute the CONfederate Navy for the U.S. Navy. The U.S. Navy played a pivotal role in the suppression of the rebellion . . . so now it was time for revenge!!

The defining moment came for the U.S. Navy on Sept. 6, 1901, when President McKinley was assassinated.

Arch rebel Theadore "Teddy" Roosevelt was McKinley's Vice President.

The assassination made "war hero" Teddy Roosevelt President.

This audacious coup d'etat by the CONfederates also gave them control of the White House.

President Roosevelt's bust is next to President Lincoln on Mount Rushmore....This twist of history is almost beyond belief....Imagine if one of Adolf Hitler's descendents became President of the United States . . . or Russia!!

The only Presidents who should be on that mountain are President Jackson and President Lincoln.

quote:

Even with his handicap, FDR was no Russophobe, and as World War II raged, he came to realize that he could trust the Russians a lot more than the British. This idea was anathema to the CONfederates because Russia was the only ally of the United States during the darkest days of the Civil War.

:psyduck:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's beautiful. :allears:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

"Fenians"???

For gently caress's sake, Ireland got it's independence almost 100 years ago!

And the repetition of "great Russian state"... :psyboom:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

quote:

With the U.S. policing the New World . . . and the great Russian nation policing the Old . . . the nations would have been forced to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. The Republican form of government would have prevailed all over the world and monarchies would have been relegated to the bust bin of history . . . where they rightly belong.

There never would have been a Spanish-American War, a First World War, a Second World War, a Cold War, a Korean War, a Vietnam War, etc., etc. The number of men, women, and children killed in wars since 1865 is probably approaching 1 BILLION . . . and there is no end in sight!

Because of the unguarded 3,000 mile border between the U.S. and Canada, British spies are more ubiquitous than the plague of frogs on ancient Egypt:

The Pentagon—the standing British army headquarters in Washington City—is also filled with Fenians.

The U.S. State Department is also filled with Fenians . . . not to mention the U.S. Congres . . . and all other departments of the U.S. government.

What the hell does he think a Fenian is? Does he actually think a Irish-American group that disbanded in 1880 has spies in the American state department and Congress?

Also, he seems to be a little confused as to whether the Brits are spying on the States or controlling the Pentagon.

edit: ^^^^^ that's why I'm wondering if it's code for something else.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 7, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The hatred of the British sounds LaRouche-esque, but it's not obsessive enough to be pure strain. Hints of other stuff in there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's me, I'm the precise geopolitical configuration that would have prevented all further wars from 1865 onwards, and this configuration was undone by... conspiracy.. something something

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Prism posted:

What the hell does he think a Fenian is? Does he actually think a Irish-American group that disbanded in 1880 has spies in the American state department and Congress?

Also, he seems to be a little confused as to whether the Brits are spying on the States or controlling the Pentagon.

edit: ^^^^^ that's why I'm wondering if it's code for something else.

I think he means Catholic/British spies, I guess. This guy is all over the place.

quote:

In the 20th century, at least 5 states were created by Gog and Magog. They were: Irish clerical "Republic", Nazi Germany, Saudi Arabia, the Crusader state of "Israel" and the Islamic "Republic" of Iran. Unfortunately, only one of these states (Nazi Germany) has disappeared from history,

It is beyond belief but the Irish clerical "Republic" was founded by 2 British spies.
A true Republic next door to an absolute monarchy is as impossible as mixing iron and clay

Eskine Childers was the quintessential upper class Englishman.....Public school (private school) at age 10, and then Trinity College, Cambridge. He was a super-patriotic British imperialist . . . and the co-founder of the Irish clerical "Republic."
He was the forerunner of the Ayatollah Khomeini and the "Republic" he had in mind was not a "government of the people, by the people, and for the people," but a clerical "Republic run by the Latin hierarchy!

http://www.reformation.org/president-lincoln.html

quote:

...The Vatican viewed the growth of these 2 great countries with alarm and jealousy. Russia was the main bastion of the Orthodox Congregation which the Vatican had been vainly fighting for almost 1,000 years.... The U.S. was the home of Protestant Christianity, republicanism and . . . liberty!!

In 1854, Britain and France—normally deadly rivals—joined forces with the Terrible Turks to fight against Mother Russia. This alliance was also the precursor to NATO: North Atlantic Terrorist Organization.

This history is repeating itself today with the CONfederates at the Pentagon intent on destroying Russia FIRST before they renew the Civil War and destroy the Union.

...Imagine if the United States had a Lincoln DYNASTY dedicated to the propositions that guided the great President....The CONfederates would never have been able to hijack the nation with their Roosevelts and Rockefellers.

The CONfederates have CONNED the entire nation into believing that their military is "United States" . . . instead of CONfederate!!

Ground was broken for the CONstruction of the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 1941, during the administration of another Roosevelt—Franklin Delano Roosevelt or FDR as he is commonly called.

The CONfederates with their standing army now control 5 acres of the U.S. known as the Pentagon. From that fortress, they completely dominate Washington City and the rest of the Union!!

Russia is their final target before they can resume the Civil War and their mad dream to annex the United States to Mexico.

quote:

Richard Nixon was almost guaranteed the Presidency in 1964. He was cheated out of that office in 1960, but now he had a good chance of ending the Kennedy-Johnson nightmare for good.

At the 1964 Republican National Convention in San Francisco, Nelson Rockefeller "bought" the nomination for a senator named Barry Goldwater.

Goldwater's real named was Barry GOLDWASSER, and he was an Edomite, whose ancestors came from Eastern Europe.

Goldwasser was a LOSER to begin with and everybody knew it....The political views of "Mr. Conservative" were to the right of Attila the Hun.

http://www.reformation.org/british-dust-bowl.html

quote:

Weather warfare is the most diabolically clever form of warfare because no nation can prove beyond a doubt that it is under attack. What is required to nail the war criminals is motive and method....The British have never lacked a motive to destroy the United States . . . and Tesla Technology gave them the method.

Beginning in 1930, unprecedented dust storms and drought struck the Louisiana Purchase Territory.
This weird weather originated in British controlled Canada.
These bizarre electrical storms were caused by the British army using Tesla's technology stolen by the Edison Company

...A "Constitutional" monarchy is an oxymoron . . . just like an Islamic "Republic"....Monarchs are dodos and belong in Charles Darwin's unnatural history museums....Canada is the only colony in the New World that is controlled by the corrupt Old World.

On a less amusing note besides being crazy he's also a Sandy Hook Truther

http://www.reformation.org/fascists-hijacked-constitution-state.html

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

dwarf74 posted:

For the record, "bigfoot/UFOs/etc are extradimensional" has always been a thing. It's an idea that's been on the fringes of those circles for... decades at least, I think.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is also an idea that's been around awhile, Ivan Sanderson wrote a book about it in the 70s.

dwarf74 posted:

You see, the existence of Bigfoot something something disproves the theory of evolution. (A lot of cryptids do, somehow - Mokele-Mbembe is a favorite for this crowd. So is Nessie. Because you see dinosaurs being alive today means that ... uh ... they didn't all evolve or something? I honestly don't get the connection.)
Honestly, the creationists usually avoid Bigfoot and its ilk like the plague and focus on supposed prehistoric survivors because they think it would disprove the theory of evolution somehow (it wouldn't).

(I like reading about this stuff, and have run in cryptozoological circles and the like in the past)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I got really really high once and thought I talked to Bigfoot but it was just a homeless man

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Prism posted:

That's what they want you to think! :tinfoil:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I got really really high once and thought I talked to Bigfoot but it was just a homeless man

OR WAS HE!?!?!?:iiam:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Are UFOs topic-appropriate?

My wife for some reason put on this thing on Netflix called Extraordinary: The Stan Romanek story.

It's utterly baffling that people can believe this kind of poo poo. This particular hoaxer has obvious puppets, uses obvious laser pointers, and clearly synthesized voices. And oh yeah, child porn - but of course that's because the government put it on his computer to silence him.

I watched this and after a while assumed it was a mockumentary, then the pedo stuff pops up at the end and :stare:

UFO stuff is fun but the people who post it are always into extra crazy stuff like hollow earth or biblical end of the world predicitons

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Goon Danton posted:

The hatred of the British sounds LaRouche-esque, but it's not obsessive enough to be pure strain. Hints of other stuff in there.

Oh speaking of LaRouche, when he's railing against British influence he's using code words for the Rothschild's, his antisemitic conspiracy says Britain's under the control of the Jews and its a key base for there global plans. Its kinda clever, he knew outright attacking Jews publicly would close a lot of doors to him but if he used an old cover word he could still attract members of the far right fringe whilst being looked at as a harmless eccentric by mainstream society.

The guys had quite an eventful life and unlike many conspiracists brought up in threads like this, has clearly done a lot of harm to people in his career and is still pretty influential as a subcurrent of Fascism, his network even has seats in Sweden's parliament. http://laroucheplanet.info/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Library.UnityNow

I recommend everyone in this thread, (well maybe not some of you it might give you ideas) read that biography some of the stuff he got up to is pretty interesting, and its kinda frightening how successful he's been so far.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

U.T. Raptor posted:

For the record, "bigfoot/UFOs/etc are extradimensional" has always been a thing. It's an idea that's been on the fringes of those circles for... decades at least, I think.

Since at least UFO abductions are linked to sleep paralysis episodes, I can buy that. I used to suffer a lot from SP, and going to other dimensions were definitely on the table when I tried to explain what I had seen.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Has this thread ever caught a moon truther? They are my favorites.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

zakharov posted:

Has this thread ever caught a moon truther? They are my favorites.

Moon landing or mere existence of the moon?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tias posted:

Since at least UFO abductions are linked to sleep paralysis episodes, I can buy that. I used to suffer a lot from SP, and going to other dimensions were definitely on the table when I tried to explain what I had seen.
I have hypnogogic hallucinations myself. I've been convinced there were bugs all over my floor, that there were people in my room (usually sleeping), snakes, rats, etc. I'm totally convinced they're real until I touch them at which point the whole illusion just melts apart. It's weird how convinced I am, even though part of me knows it's absurd.

Scares the hell out of my wife, but I'm used to it.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I have hypnogogic hallucinations myself. I've been convinced there were bugs all over my floor, that there were people in my room (usually sleeping), snakes, rats, etc. I'm totally convinced they're real until I touch them at which point the whole illusion just melts apart. It's weird how convinced I am, even though part of me knows it's absurd.

Scares the hell out of my wife, but I'm used to it.

Have you touched your wife though?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I watched this and after a while assumed it was a mockumentary, then the pedo stuff pops up at the end and :stare:

UFO stuff is fun but the people who post it are always into extra crazy stuff like hollow earth or biblical end of the world predicitons

I remember years ago watching a several hour long movie debunking the Ancient Aliens TV show by a guy who used to believe in it. It was really interesting, well researched and informative. It's the only documentary I've watched that had a twist ending too; near the end of the film the documentary maker's reasoned skepticism slowly cracks until finally the mask slips off and you realise that the narrator was a fundamentalist Christian all along, and is just as crazy as the ancient aliens guy.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

That's Ancient Aliens Debunked, and the twist would be a brilliant move if it were done to prove a point. If the idea were to teach the viewer that being skeptical about things you don't already believe doesn't make you immune to bias and error, you couldn't come up with a better premise. But no, Chris White is completely sincere about it, which really just makes the point all the stronger.

Also when I was making sure I remembered the title right, I found the IMDB reviews!

Well done! Bravo! (10/10) posted:

The delivery of the audio speech is quite boring, honestly, but the data and debunking are on point, which is what matters in this age of countering so much B.S.

The diagrams and pictures of ancient manuscripts are very well thought-out and the author's writing in the script reads like a quality research paper.

Well done, Sir, I salute you!

Keep up the good debunking work, may we ever seek the truth, though it is most often shrouded.

~ Everett from Seattle, Washington, USA

oops, let the mask slip a little there at the end, Everett.

Waste of time. (1/10) posted:

Garbage. You cannot debunk Ancient Aliens, all you can do is disagree with them & only believe the mainstream theories that have been accepted for years, which is bullshit. Of course AA wants you to believe everything is Aliens, but anyone with half a brain can figure out what to take them serious on, and what not to. In many episodes,you can absolutely see there was Alien intervention, it's obvious, unless you are in denial. Not because they said so, but because there was real evidence long before AA existed. It must take someone with no life whatsoever, to waste time making this debunking film. These so called filmmakers are not intelligent. Get a life.

Meanwhile, Phil here wants nothing to do with masks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also on the subject of History Channel bullshit, a Japanese military historian has a criticism of their Amelia Earhart special.

In case you missed it, their only evidence that Earhart survived her crash and was picked up by the Japanese was a photo showing a woman about 100 feet away from the camera, facing away from the camera, and "analysts" insisting that it must have been Earhart after being picked up by the ship in the picture.

Only problem is, there are library records showing the photo was published in 1935, 2 years before she disappeared.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
What was supposed to be the motive for Japan capturing her again?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

That's Ancient Aliens Debunked, and the twist would be a brilliant move if it were done to prove a point. If the idea were to teach the viewer that being skeptical about things you don't already believe doesn't make you immune to bias and error, you couldn't come up with a better premise. But no, Chris White is completely sincere about it, which really just makes the point all the stronger.

Also when I was making sure I remembered the title right, I found the IMDB reviews!

oops, let the mask slip a little there at the end, Everett.

Meanwhile, Phil here wants nothing to do with masks.

I've seen quite a number of people claim that there are only certain things you should believe from Ancient Aliens. Like they hide true information in a mess of fake alien poo poo.

Anyone know what is actually true from Ancient Aliens or have they just used this phrasing to get out of explaining what's "true"?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

What was supposed to be the motive for Japan capturing her again?

That she was a prisoner of war, being an American in the area around the time of WW2 starting.

This, of course, ignores the large amount of evidence (like various recovered artifacts from an island that was uninhabited in 1937) that suggests that she just crashed and either died in the crash or died as a castaway on a deserted island.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

That she was a prisoner of war, being an American in the area around the time of WW2 starting.

This, of course, ignores the large amount of evidence (like various recovered artifacts from an island that was uninhabited in 1937) that suggests that she just crashed and either died in the crash or died as a castaway on a deserted island.

It should be noted as well that she disappeared 5 days before the outbreak of the Second Sino-Japanese War. There was really no reason for the Japanese to secretly execute an American celebrity at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It should be noted as well that she disappeared 5 days before the outbreak of the Second Sino-Japanese War. There was really no reason for the Japanese to secretly execute an American celebrity at that time.

I think the argument is that she was executed in the 1940s, which would mean she was held for years.

• Locked thread