Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Also the Borg Queen tries to tempt Data with poo poo the Borg don't even care about, like physical sensations, and sexy times, she just makes no sense.

The most straightforward assumption is that the Borg made the queen in order to do some social engineering on Data since apparently they couldn't just crack his system. Easy enough for them to pretend to give a poo poo about how good having skin feels or whatever for long enough to get him to punch in the access codes on the Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Miles Obrien explaining how Sisko and them got transported back in time like he's reciting a bullshit recipe

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Price, and an answering machine just mentioned Troi's mother. :stonk:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching The Price, and an answering machine just mentioned Troi's mother. :stonk:

Don't worry, she's not in that episode.

I do love the one that opens with her log of "My mother is onboard" and then we see Picard trying to sneak around and avoid her.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi getting philosophical about what constitutes a "real" ice cream sundae

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is this whole episode gonna be from Troi's perspective? That'd be interesting if they did it right

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This creep and Troi keep staring at each other forebodingly

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They're making a big deal about a stable wormhole's value but you'd think it wouldn't be as big of a deal if they already have FTL travel. I dunno maybe if it goes outside the classically observable universe or something.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They're making a big deal about a stable wormhole's value but you'd think it wouldn't be as big of a deal if they already have FTL travel. I dunno maybe if it goes outside the classically observable universe or something.

"Classically" observable because in Star Trek the whole universe is observable (I think)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh boy, Ferengi.

Picard's exasperated face is making me crack up

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

By the way the Ferengis' body language is like the group dynamic the Robbie Rottens had in We Are Number One

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Serenity now, Deanna.

Insanity later.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wow my read of him as a creep was 100% right

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lmao it's so over the top

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Space equivalent of the advent of commercial air travel. Sure, you can take a boat that will get you from London to New York in 6 weeks, bobbing up and down the whole time. Now you can get there in a day.

Also, the wormhole is like 50+ years worth of travel, one way.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Not that I don't also want to touch Troi's hair but I have a little self-control and I don't wear a sparkly knit jacket

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Ferengi are so clownishly evil I actually like them now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hahahahahaha Picard's distressed reaction to the Ferengi is so funny I can't take it, I can't even find a specific screenshot that does it justice, just his eyelids twitching and his mouth slowing drooping down as he shudders and as they make all these accusations of him

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

He just looked directly at the camera, it's killing me

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Geordi: "If this doesn't work, the thought of spending the rest of my life in here is none too appealing."
Data: "There is a bright side Geordi. You will have me to talk to."

This is the funniest episode so far

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I didn't know Quentin Tarantino was guest-directing this episode

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Creepguy is disappointed to learn he's not cucking Riker

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Troi: "I don't hide that I'm an empath."
Creep: "Oh, so you announce it to every alien culture you encounter?"
Troi: "..."

Gotem

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I've always thought that there was something about this actor that reminded me of Paul Ryan. Am I the only one (probably so)?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

FTL still has relative speeds, until Janeway pillages her way through the Delta Quadrant there was a practical top speed/range limit on Federale ships since they burn antimatter to run the warp drives. I figure the Romulan ships also have some degree of crew endurance problems.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They made such a big deal about the advantages you can get as an empath but has there been a single time Troi gave the Enterprise an advantage in anything so far? Seriously. Even in this episode where she owned Creep at the end it didn't even matter because the wormhole was a dud and the agreement was already made.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The galaxy is about 100 years across at Warp 9 in TNG.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

FTL still has relative speeds, until Janeway pillages her way through the Delta Quadrant there was a practical top speed/range limit on Federale ships since they burn antimatter to run the warp drives. I figure the Romulan ships also have some degree of crew endurance problems.

It's heavily implied that the ships don't really have a range limitation: they have ramscoops to pick up fuel for the fusion reactors and I think they just make antimatter out of the energy from that? The Kelvans were also able to modify the Constitution-class Enterprise to get to Andromeda in 300 years, and there was no concern about fuel, only about running out of food supplies which was why they turned the crew into papermache shapes.

The only limitation we've every really seen is that no one wants to be cooped up on a starship for decades, and maybe that there's not enough energy to replicate whatever you want and go warp 9 all the time so Voyager has to start stocking real food.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 7, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's also the limitation of poo poo breaking down; if you're running with enough energy to power replicators and getting raw matter and all your components are easily replicable that's fine if you have a crew to install poo poo.

Voyager supposedly didn't have much energy to spare for that, presumably because she wasn't willing to meander at Warp 5 in order to leave enough spare. Also, Voyager had some non-replicable components and occasionally would run out of critical rare elements or whatever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MikeJF posted:

There's also the limitation of poo poo breaking down; if you're running with enough energy to power replicators and getting raw matter and all your components are easily replicable that's fine if you have a crew to install poo poo.

Voyager supposedly didn't have much energy to spare for that, presumably because she wasn't willing to meander at Warp 5 in order to leave enough spare. Also, Voyager had some non-replicable components and occasionally would run out of critical rare elements or whatever.
Even then, you'll eventually probably get to a point where something insanely important breaks and you just can't make a Warp Coil or a Multiphasic Relay or whatever other poo poo because of Rare Materials or complexity of systems.

Voyager should have been SOL within 10 years thanks to their insanely 90s additional of Biological Component Thinkpacks in the computer system. Guess you can turn the aeroponics bay into a cloning bay as well!

Fed ships still need to refuel their Trilithium stocks from time to time, otherwise no matter/antimatter reaction in the warp core, so that's also a limitation. I think that also powers life support so even if you can potentially have the impulse engine putter along , everyone gonna be Fedsickles after they run out of juice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lmao it's so over the top

I reckon a good 90% of Troi episodes involve her getting seduced and/or mind controlled by a crooked telepath or sleazy ambassador; in this picture, I have to assume Sirtis is thinking, "Well, at least it's not Death Wish 3."

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

vermin posted:

Kirk, Spock, and McCoy land on a planet full of Irish stereotypes

Did

A). an alien visit ancient 18th Century Ireland and decide to base their entire culture around it?
B). an alien abduct an Irishman a long time ago and is now making an attempt to make humans feel more comfortable?
C). the studio have left over sets and props from a St Patty's Day sketch on Johnny Carson?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hahahahahaha Picard's distressed reaction to the Ferengi is so funny I can't take it, I can't even find a specific screenshot that does it justice, just his eyelids twitching and his mouth slowing drooping down as he shudders and as they make all these accusations of him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNKrHsYXZ0s

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Even then, you'll eventually probably get to a point where something insanely important breaks and you just can't make a Warp Coil or a Multiphasic Relay or whatever other poo poo because of Rare Materials or complexity of systems.

Voyager should have been SOL within 10 years thanks to their insanely 90s additional of Biological Component Thinkpacks in the computer system. Guess you can turn the aeroponics bay into a cloning bay as well!

Fed ships still need to refuel their Trilithium stocks from time to time, otherwise no matter/antimatter reaction in the warp core, so that's also a limitation. I think that also powers life support so even if you can potentially have the impulse engine putter along , everyone gonna be Fedsickles after they run out of juice.

Probably, yeah, but it seems like most stuff can be repaired with time. On one episode it started with Voyager landed on a planet with her engines opened up and warp coils being pulled out and people working on poo poo, before the rest of the episode was about adventures on a shuttlecraft somewhere else. I always did like that little acknowledgement that they had to do stuff like that.

They also say at one point they're ripping the gelpacks out of what they can and replacing them with chips at the cost of performance.

Dilithium is recrystalisable in TNG and after, it was deliberately never meant to be an issue for 24th century ships.

Life support runs fine on impulse power, but good luck getting anywhere on that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 7, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

It's heavily implied that the ships don't really have a range limitation: they have ramscoops to pick up fuel for the fusion reactors and I think they just make antimatter out of the energy from that? The Kelvans were also able to modify the Constitution-class Enterprise to get to Andromeda in 300 years, and there was no concern about fuel, only about running out of food supplies which was why they turned the crew into papermache shapes.

The only limitation we've every really seen is that no one wants to be cooped up on a starship for decades, and maybe that there's not enough energy to replicate whatever you want and go warp 9 all the time so Voyager has to start stocking real food.
I don't know about the Kelvans. The TNG tech guide took pains to say that making antimatter in the field, while possible, was a losing proposition, even if it might be worth it because it meant you "inefficiently" got to a Starbase at Warp 6 instead of "efficiently" limping there at sublight speed for thirty years. If you're wondering how the fleet got antimatter, the answer was "big ol' solar powered conversion stations."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume the Kelvans had space magic reactor tech they plugged in when they overcharged the 1701 to warp 13 or whatever.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 7, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Also, Voyager had some non-replicable components and occasionally would run out of critical rare elements or whatever.

Plotonium--when you have to tech the tech, accept no substitites!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VitalSigns posted:

Also the Borg Queen tries to tempt Data with poo poo the Borg don't even care about, like physical sensations, and sexy times, she just makes no sense. Like, is she an ant queen banging all those drones all the time? Or does being in the collective just feel like a constant orgy and that's why everyone who is assimilated surrenders immediately because it just feels that awesome to be a Borg. Which come to think of it might have been a more interesting horror than what Trek actually did, if instead of feeling repulsed and violated because he was forced to help the Borg against his will, Picard admitted that being in the collective was the most amazing incredible experience ever, betraying the collective was the hardest thing he's ever had to do in his life, and he has to struggle with this constant craving to get back in there and become Locutus again.

You mean like in the Nexus?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jeb! Repetition posted:

He has Shannon Doherty eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The only thing I know that guy from is him being the Mahony replacement in the later Police Academy movies.