Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

In the heyday of Castlevania HD, six of us would juggle divekick off that yorric skull all the way up to cheat a level. Man that game was fun.

Here's a dude that kills at at.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kwZUnl_HikQ

Wish I could've gotten into this game. Was it ever released for anything other than PS3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

360 as well but that's it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wish I could've gotten into this game. Was it ever released for anything other than PS3?

It seemed like such a no brainer to re-release it for the PS4 and Wii or WiiU...but Konami is more interested in cell phone slot games these days.

As for the game itself, some of the characters were great fun, others were hot garbage, but they all played in a unique way that stood out from the others. You really wanted to pick one and then grind grind grind. And that's where they game got old. The drop rates on the god tier items were very bad. It became a tedious soul sucking grind. I've beat the symphony of the night Dracula so many times that I can almost do it in my sleep...

Still, I miss this game, it deserved more love than it got. It needed ongoing developer support and QOL patches/fixes. It got abandoned by Konami pretty fast after they released the last of the DLC for it.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 24, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
drat shame too because it had some great potential. Having a small army of 8 bit Simon's beating up SoTN Dracula was super funny. It was also pretty awesome that they made the entirety on CV 1 into a stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56xxrmWRw8Y

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ah right I totally forgot they changed Castlevania into an MMO like loot grind

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

It was XBLA-exclusive for a while but eventually came to PS3. The PS3 version is the only one with local multiplayer and it has some of the DLC included as part of the base purchase but it runs a little worse and I think they fixed some of the more fun bugs from the XBLA version.

They teased a Vita port but it never came.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The game was genuinely a mess, and despite beign a person who loved it the feeling of absolute hardcore nickel and diming over it killed it for me really, really quickly as well as fracturing the playerbase nearly instantly. The idea of balancing characters frankly just didnt exist and map layouts ranged from fun to "why????"

Id buy it again if they brought it back.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Barudak posted:

The game was genuinely a mess, and despite beign a person who loved it the feeling of absolute hardcore nickel and diming over it killed it for me really, really quickly as well as fracturing the playerbase nearly instantly. The idea of balancing characters frankly just didnt exist and map layouts ranged from fun to "why????"

Id buy it again if they brought it back.

:same:

Would own on the Switch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A Despair-style multiplayer mode was one of the stretch goals for Bloodstained.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Magnes cancelling was the poo poo. Shanoa was the best.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I remember playing it on the first Friday night since it was released and having an absolute blast. Just talking to fellow castlevania bros (actually they might have been goons) and playing the maps for the first time was an amazing experience.

Back when castlevania was good and we could expect new games from Iga.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shanoa was the best.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
In the last month or so there have been randomizer mods released for the DS Castlevania games which change up enemy spawns, items/weapon drops and stats, and enemy health and damage values.

If CVHD had included something like that along with randomized level rooms like Rogue Legacy it would have been amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

All the chars were fun to play.

Except Yoko. She sucked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The funniest thing in the game was the glitch with Charlotte which let you infinitely spam heal.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Which was actually one of the things that they bothered patching, along with balancing out some of the weapons a bit more and making Dual Crushes less of a waste of MP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite part of harmony of despair was the balls hard classic castlevania level where me and 5 of my buddies tried to cheese dracula by leaving the door open and running away to heal when we got low.

so we run back down the stairs, dracula nearly kills all of us, friend goes 'i think we're safe' over voice chat and then immediately dracula spawns a giant ring of fire that oneshots us all

beat, then julius's 'drat' voice clip before it kicks me back to the main menu. it was beautiful.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVBl5n-TU6Q

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Castlevania Netflix should be going up right about now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This show is giving me major "Ninja Scroll knockoff OVA" vibes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This show is giving me major "Ninja Scroll knockoff OVA" vibes.

so its bad?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's overly vulgar and gruesome at times, but I thought it was pretty dang good on the whole. It's super gorgeous and the character writing is entertaining, at least.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Watched the first two episodes and it seems like a weird choice for Dracula to be more sympathetic than any of the other characters so far. It's entertaining though and good enough that I was annoyed to find out there's only four episodes total for the season. I want more!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GodFish posted:

Watched the first two episodes and it seems like a weird choice for Dracula to be more sympathetic than any of the other characters so far. It's entertaining though and good enough that I was annoyed to find out there's only four episodes total for the season. I want more!

I haven't watched it yet, but aren't they loosely basing it off Castlevania 3 and SOTN? In SOTN at least, Dracula was a bit sympathetic. Alucard reminded him of his mother in that oh so inspired speech at the end.

Edit - Besides, can you really root for this guy?

Medullah fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 7, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I really enjoyed that. I hadn't realised we were getting so little at this point though, feels like we cut off just as it was really getting going. Like the first third of a twelve episode series or something. I also didn't expect quite so much gore or goat loving.

And as much as Dracula's Curse is already perfect the way it is, I could go a new game reimagining it based off this show. Bomberman Switch was pretty decent after a little bit of ongoing support so there's still the potential for okay games at Konami.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Konami didn't make Super Bomberman R and probably wouldn't make a hypothetical Castlevania The Anime The Game, either.

It can be very edgy

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Konami didn't make Super Bomberman R and probably wouldn't make a hypothetical Castlevania The Anime The Game, either.

Okay, well the potential to outsource decent games and provide them with enough funding to support build on them post-launch is there at Konami then.

Wayforward's "licenced games that are really pretty and much better than they probably have the right to be" style would fight a Castoonvania game I guess

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 7, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Box of Bunnies posted:

Okay, well the potential to outsource decent games and provide them with enough funding to support build on them post-launch is there at Konami then.

See you think that, but come join us sad Silent Hill fans. :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

epsilon posted:

This looks really fun, when is it releasing on 3DS?

Next week!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMm4CeMlFIA

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Medullah posted:

See you think that, but come join us sad Suikoden fans. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried playing Downpour again recently because I decided it can't have been that bad but it was

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ah right I totally forgot they changed Castlevania into an MMO like loot grind

I played as Charlotte. I got all the spells.

Don't do that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

As far as I'm aware, SBR was made by former Hudson employees who are currently employed at Konami, making SBR a game made by Konami.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Takoluka posted:

As far as I'm aware, SBR was made by former Hudson employees who are currently employed at Konami, making SBR a game made by Konami.

They supervised the game but the actual work was done by Hexadrive, the studio behind Wind Waker HD, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, the update that fixed Zone of the Enders 2 HD, etc.

As far as I know, the game only exists because Nintendo greased their wheels and Konami did the bare minimum to make it happen, but it does seem to have reminded them that people will still buy their games if they bother to release them, so maybe they'll start making more of an effort again.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't want to really split hairs on the issue, but they're also listed with having worked on Wonderful 101 on their own website, so are we saying that W101 was a HexaDrive game and not a Platinum-developed game?

Konami does a lot of terrible poo poo, but it's my understanding that the Hudson side was way more involved than just "supervision," so credit where credit's due. Bomberman is Hudson's baby, after all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"Would you please leave my testicles alone!?" - Trevor Belmont, 2017

Seriously wtf am I watching?

EDIT: So episode 1 was a bit choppy and episode 2 was...odd, but I think I liked episodes 3 and 4 quite a bit more. The season ends in a bit of an odd spot, so I'm curious to see if and when the show continues.

It's a kind of weird show all around. I'm not sure what I think about the Game of Thrones-style religious conflicts, and it's weird seeing that kind of story with internet video style cut-away jokes (Like the Speaker guy that wonders if the Cyclops Trevor killed previously is still moving). The big action scenes were cool at least.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 7, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

I tried playing Downpour again recently because I decided it can't have been that bad but it was

Don't do that, only true Silent Hills are 1-4 and in an alternate universe Silent Hills.

Raxivace posted:

"Would you please leave my testicles alone!?" - Trevor Belmont, 2017

Seriously wtf am I watching?

Yeah watched the first two episodes...seems very "HEY LOOK WE'RE EDGY AND HAVE BLOOD AND SWEARING". Not super impressed so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's not good

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wait it's only 4 episodes, at 25 minutes each? Sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Medullah posted:

Wait it's only 4 episodes, at 25 minutes each? Sheesh.
Like three of those four episodes are closer to 22 minutes.