Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
New friend Naruto just showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So in skypeia Luffy gets eaten by a big snake and I'm 95% sure he punched its butthole from the inside

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Haha oh man Eneru's face

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I've finally gotten around to starting this series and am currently at the beginning of Arlong Park, I'm also thinking of doing what the creators should have done and split it up into two seasons to be watched concurrently with each other as I do at least have some knowledge of the series and its characters going in. (The first being the initial 516 episodes and the second being everything after the timeskip).

Once I'm caught up I plan to start reading the manga from where the anime left off. To streamline this process a bit (as after all the anime is close to 800 episodes and the manga isn't much shorter) which episodes can be safely skipped over and are there any filler arcs that are worth watching?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 3, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think there's a list of all the filler, but for what's worthwhile, basically:
- the thing coming up with Coby and Helmeppo is 100% canon
- Naverrou/G5 is some good poo poo
And there you go.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Haha oh man Eneru's face
Welcome to one piece

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I think there's a list of all the filler, but for what's worthwhile, basically:
- the thing coming up with Coby and Helmeppo is 100% canon
- Naverrou/G5 is some good poo poo
And there you go.

Thanks, and related to that do any of the movies/specials get referenced in the series besides Strong World and Film Z or are they all pretty much standalone (and if it's the latter, are any of them worth watching)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 4, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No and Strong World/Z are the only ones worth watching

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Plutonis posted:

No and Strong World/Z are the only ones worth watching

That's what I figured, when's the best place to watch Strong World? After Thriller Bark or after the little mini-arc later on that ties directly into it? If it's the former, then is there a similar case for Z as well?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Strong World is good and you can watch it any time after Water 7 and before the Paramount War

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Larryb posted:

That's what I figured, when's the best place to watch Strong World? After Thriller Bark or after the little mini-arc later on that ties directly into it? If it's the former, then is there a similar case for Z as well?

Strong World can only happen after Thriller Bark. Z basically can't fit into the timeline at all but it's neat and has early post-time skip stuff like Aokiji. Gold is also worth watching since it's a fun heist movie. Baron Omotsuri is movie worth watching on its own merits, but it's also very unlike the usual One Piece stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh I forgot about Gold. Gold was good as hell also.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

just watch the mini filler arcs and then watch the movies. I think there's only anime tie in filler for Strong World, Z, and Gold though.

Also watch the Baron Omotsuri right now, because it's the best One Piece movie by far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

just watch the mini filler arcs and then watch the movies. I think there's only anime tie in filler for Strong World, Z, and Gold though.

Also watch the Baron Omotsuri right now, because it's the best One Piece movie by far.

I'm only on Arlong Park currently, what's the best place to watch Baron Omotsuri after?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Larryb posted:

I'm only on Arlong Park currently, what's the best place to watch Baron Omotsuri after?

Anytime after Alabasta is fine

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Holy loving poo poo. I looked up the (Funimation) dub of One Piece for shits and gigles and it is loving horrible. Jesus Christ!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Holy loving poo poo. I looked up the (Funimation) dub of One Piece for shits and gigles and it is loving horrible. Jesus Christ!

I think it ranges from decent to good, but regardless of anyone's opinion it is literal multiverses better than the previous dub.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
The Funi dub actually rules

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I finally got back into One Piece after being on hiatus with it for years. I ended in the middle of the Summit War Arc. I'm almost at the end of it now with like 7 episodes left of the arc.

I'm currently using Crunchyroll and while the translation is good, I will say that I do miss some of the things from the fan subs. Most notably how instead of calling crew members "friends" they were called "nakama" to emphasize the importance and uniqueness of the relationship.

The singing is good but everything else is bad.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm currently using Crunchyroll and while the translation is good, I will say that I do miss some of the things from the fan subs. Most notably how instead of calling crew members "friends" they were called "nakama" to emphasize the importance and uniqueness of the relationship.

Are you serious
Nakama just means friend or comrade depending on the context. "Crew" is usually the most accurate translation. Some fans left it untranslated because they're weeaboos and assigned some made up extra importance to the word.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

punk rebel ecks posted:

The singing is good but everything else is bad.

I know you're not talking poo poo about dub Brook.

The only dub voice that isn't even in the same ballpark as the original is Franky. Because there's no way to be anywhere near as good as the original.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, I'm more or less cool with all the dub VAs except Franky cause his voice direction's super off, but moonspeak Sanji is pretty great for NAMI-SWAN and almost making you believe Sanji's a badass. Also Luffy's VA pretty much has consistently perfect delivery on all his lines but it's pretty clear that after like ten years she's straining to keep up the actual voice.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've been watching the dub lately and I like it a lot, I think Nami's voice is absolutely perfect. Franky's voice isn't as bouyant as expected but I guess they went their own way instead of trying to mimic the inimitable. Brook is spectacular too and I like Zoro's a lot as well. Smoker was pretty bad though. Luffy's VA is pretty good but the original is one of those irreplaceable voices and I can always easily hear her gasps of wonder and happiness when I imagine her voice in my head.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Are you serious
Nakama just means friend or comrade depending on the context. "Crew" is usually the most accurate translation. Some fans left it untranslated because they're weeaboos and assigned some made up extra importance to the word.

I don't care, it was better, whether that was the word's intention or not. :colbert:

Gyges posted:

I know you're not talking poo poo about dub Brook.

The only dub voice that isn't even in the same ballpark as the original is Franky. Because there's no way to be anywhere near as good as the original.

Uusop and Luffy are terrible. American dubs have an extremely hard time getting the child-like feminine yet masculine Japanese voice down as they always go for a young chainsmoker type voice. Uusop voice and character is so specific that it would be difficult to get his voice and persona right. Brook's voice matches the characters look but not exactly the character's personality. However, Robin and Nami sound good.

EmmyOk posted:

Luffy's VA is pretty good but the original is one of those irreplaceable voices and I can always easily hear her gasps of wonder and happiness when I imagine her voice in my head.
Pretty much this. Luffy always sounds a specific way in my head. The Japanese voice actor is PERFECT for him.

EDIT - I realize that I may come off as a diehard "sub forever!" type. And while I do prefer sub over dub a majority of the time, there are some dubs I strongly prefer to subs because I felt that the Western team did a better job in matching the voices and bringing out the characters (e.g. Steins;Gate, Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball & Z, etc.)

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 4, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't care, it was better, whether that was the word's intention or not. :colbert:

it actually undercuts some major stuff later with Whitebeard who is like "all I've wanted is a family and that's what my crew is to me they're more than just nakama". It's really really bad. Here's a discussion from the fanwiki where a guy who can speak Japanese explains why it is so bad and meaningless while morons disagree with him

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Nakama_Translation

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

it actually undercuts some major stuff later with Whitebeard who is like "all I've wanted is a family and that's what my crew is to me they're more than just nakama". It's really really bad. Here's a discussion from the fanwiki where a guy who can speak Japanese explains why it is so bad and meaningless while morons disagree with him

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Nakama_Translation

Oh wow this is a great read. I still think it's cool to use "nakama" as a deep meaning of a strong crew member. However, I agree Whitebeard and a lot of contexts ruin it. I've pretty much been converted to thinking using the word was wrong.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I've been watching a few post time skip episodes. The only character redesigns I like are Luffy, Usoop, and Sanji. I don't like anyone elses too much, ESPECIALLY Frankie.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The nipple lights and hair change mode will change your mind

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
No, I agree. I miss pre-timeskip Franky. I think he went full retard with the redesign.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I definitely miss Franky and Brook's original designs. New Franky is a bit of a tradeoff - he does at least have some moments that justify his new look even if I prefer the original - but new Brook is a straight downgrade.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A coworker of mine says they are planning on doing another timeskip? Not sure how true that is.

Anyway, I'm kind of bummed that this show didn't blow up in America like the other "Shonen" Kings" have/had (DBZ, Bleach, Naruto). I could see why Hunter x Hunter never became popular in the States, but not One Piece. I've heard it's more popular in Europe though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
People like to blame the old dub, but imo it's really as simple as One Piece being far more open about being a kid's cartoon/comic. Plus I've heard of the art style being off-putting to some.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Holy poo poo! Oda has no life...

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/10/09/one-piece-manga-creators-work-schedule-is-absolutely-insane/

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's slightly better now; Oda typically gets a week off every 3 weeks or so

But yeah, the Manga industry is insane (and not in a good way). Most mangaka put up with similar conditions, and it's part of why having assistants can be invaluable.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn't Oda admit once that he doesn't have a real plan for the series and just kind of makes stuff up as he goes along? Also, I'm not caught up yet but has the manga shown any signs of getting even close to a conclusion at this point (I know they've at least reached the Grand Line by now)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 7, 2017

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Larryb posted:

Didn't Oda admit once that he doesn't have a real plan for the series and just kind of makes stuff up as he goes along? Also, I'm not caught up yet but has the manga shown any signs of getting even close to a conclusion yet (I know they've at least reached the Grand Line by now)?

Yes things are gearing up for the end, I mean it's not ending soon but the endgame has been laid out and they are literally working on getting the map to One Piece itself. And yes they got to the Grand line like what 15 years ago?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Yes things are gearing up for the end, I mean it's not ending soon but the endgame has been laid out and they are literally working on getting the map to One Piece itself. And yes they got to the Grand line like what 15 years ago?

Ah, I only just started this series recently so I didn't know that. I'm enjoying it but it's still good to know things are finally starting to approach the endgame by now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The only worse design post-timeskip is Robin's because I really liked her weird fringe. I like nami's long hair a lot but sadly since the timeskip Oda only draws women as watermelons rolling around in bikinis. I wasn't that into Frankie's at first but over time I much prefer it to his old design, it's SUPERRRRRRRRRRRRR. Luffy's is definitely my favourite though because with only a few changes he went from a design I was never huge on to one that's one of my favourites in the whole series.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

Didn't Oda admit once that he doesn't have a real plan for the series and just kind of makes stuff up as he goes along? Also, I'm not caught up yet but has the manga shown any signs of getting even close to a conclusion at this point (I know they've at least reached the Grand Line by now)?

Oda had the outline for where the series was going from the beginning. He just structured it in such a way that he's also been able to add poo poo along the way that he thinks up or that his editors suggest. You may be thinking of Dragon Ball where Toriyama has gone on record that he flew by the seat of his pants the whole way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Julias posted:

It's slightly better now; Oda typically gets a week off every 3 weeks or so

But yeah, the Manga industry is insane (and not in a good way). Most mangaka put up with similar conditions, and it's part of why having assistants can be invaluable.

I actually looked it up, and found out that the average manga artist/creator makes like $30,000 a year....