Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

So why did Darkness. decide to not show up for the hull timer last night? Seems bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
What I want to know is why the constant railing against ~asset safety~. Which if removed from nullsec would kill nullsec because gently caress being able to lose all the random poo poo you've collected. Just make the assets locked away longer.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

lucifirius posted:

What I want to know is why the constant railing against ~asset safety~. Which if removed from nullsec would kill nullsec because gently caress being able to lose all the random poo poo you've collected. Just make the assets locked away longer.

retards with no structures of their own think that existing structure havers will continue to store everything and anything in a citadel if it is full loot, and seem incapable of understanding the basic risk avoidance behavior of keeping poo poo in NPC

they're also wrong about it driving PVP -- engineering complexes are already partial loot, right now, yet no one seems to care about that

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I like how a post double posted a couple hours later

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

it doesn't, it's a great idea

i need several friends to do it with me though, so if you're interested pm me here or evemail uninstall 01

pinged you a mail

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

retards with no structures of their own think that existing structure havers will continue to store everything and anything in a citadel if it is full loot, and seem incapable of understanding the basic risk avoidance behavior of keeping poo poo in NPC

they're also wrong about it driving PVP -- engineering complexes are already partial loot, right now, yet no one seems to care about that

If you could loot assets from Citadels i think it would eventually result in one alliance dominating all nullsec. As it stands you can't really "defeat" a large alliance entirely, because a large portion of their wealth/ships are safe when docked. If you could loot citadels this would change.

It would be possible to break the back of an alliance by stealing all of their wealth generating ships/blueprints. It would also give the conquering alliance a huge boon in resources. These resources could then be used to continue conquering, until only one alliance remains.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rutibex posted:

If you could loot assets from Citadels i think it would eventually result in one alliance dominating all nullsec. As it stands you can't really "defeat" a large alliance entirely, because a large portion of their wealth/ships are safe when docked. If you could loot citadels this would change.

It would be possible to break the back of an alliance by stealing all of their wealth generating ships/blueprints. It would also give the conquering alliance a huge boon in resources. These resources could then be used to continue conquering, until only one alliance remains.

It would mean a return to staging in NPC lowsec stations. Full stop.

The REEEEEEEEEEEEEing about citadels is (in part) because some idiots want it to be even easier to clear citadels in hisec (think market hubs) and more idiots (there's an overlap, though) belatedly realizing that invading the Imperium is rapidly becoming an exercise in futility.

PS: This stuff already happens, it's called 'stealing everything not nailed down' and is why more competently run alliances often have multiple altcorps for the important bits, with people siloed to the stuff they actually need access to. See also TEST in Fountain for a cogent example of what happens to alliance assets when poo poo goes bad.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

nah

we'd just put all our trash in NPC stations and shrug dismissively at the concept of using a player-built structure for anything more than a safe cyno spot or supercap logoff spot

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Rutibex posted:

No one would put anything worth losing into structures like that.

It seems to me that all major Alliances are so rich now that loss of ships, structure and space is just an inconvenience.

I think the only way you can kill an Alliance is to target the key spergs who hold it together and make their Eve existence a living hell until they quit the game. Ie make FCs spend a lot of human effort only to end up disappointing their whole fleet. Make logi staff perform endless busywork until they burn out. Fuel internal conflicts to get diplomats and directors to flip tables (The test NIP is a good example)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wibla posted:

It would mean a return to staging in NPC lowsec stations. Full stop.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

nah

we'd just put all our trash in NPC stations and shrug dismissively at the concept of using a player-built structure for anything more than a safe cyno spot or supercap logoff spot

Catberry posted:

No one would put anything worth losing into structures like that.

This problem could be solved by making HiSec NPC stations conquerable as well :black101:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

nullsec citadels being full loot would mean NC PL and probably even goons would just sit in lowsec and farm retards forever. There are a lot of problems with citadels but them not being full loot isn't one. Timezone tanking, citadel spam, and not having a hard cap on how many can be in a system (towers limited to number of moons in system, stations limited to one per system) really gently caress things up far more than full loot.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rutibex posted:

This problem could be solved by making HiSec NPC stations conquerable as well :black101:

:laffo:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
The defender setting the vulnerability timer is garbage. I guess in theory it means people set their citadels to their strongest timezones. But in practice everyone just seems to set one where as few people as possible are playing. Which doesn't exactly encourage fights for them.

Edit: If the attackers got to set the timer then you at least have the prospect of people showing up in force to wreck poo poo and people like wrecking poo poo.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 6, 2017

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
there needs to be structures that are desirable and produce defenders when attacked

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

CCP Seagull jumping out a window?

Or you looking for this? I guss It matched more in context of the talk atm :devil:

Seagull Manager

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I get the necessity of having 'vulnerability windows' what with eve being a 24/7 game with players across all kinds of time zones, but it's just silly really. It seems just a gag to let tiny localized corps keep ahold of a structure by having it be totally invulnerable until the clock strikes :insert time:.

It would make a good deal more sense to have a powerful customizable automated defense system that can hold up to an attack of a certain intensity as long as stored resources were available. Resource group A to keep the weapons firing, group B to run repairs, group C to manufacture wings of drones or whatever.

Corps would have to keep everything stocked up in case of attack in addition to regular upkeep, and there'd be incentive to hit and run now and then to cause them to use up resources which would be essential.

Like a siege! :haw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lucifirius posted:

Some people think they can force other people to fight by raising the stakes for loss and not-fighting. Literally "the beatings will continue until morale improves" thinking.

Basically a lot of pvpers look at the (terrible, moribund) state of nullsec & w-space and don't see how the game mechanics over the last 3-5 years have created it. Instead they think that more of the same will somehow fix it.

Blasphemaster posted:

I get the necessity of having 'vulnerability windows' what with eve being a 24/7 game with players across all kinds of time zones, but it's just silly really. It seems just a gag to let tiny localized corps keep ahold of a structure by having it be totally invulnerable until the clock strikes :insert time:.

They're not great but a super-complex system isn't great either unless you're good enough at designing it to catch all the edge effects. Auto-defenses are not the solution, people are already using tactics to avoid manned defenses.

I think that a good compromise on citadels could just be making them vulnerable 24/7 for the first timer. That would remove the dumb 2-week invulnerability trick and let opponents generate timers whenever is convenient for them. Then the next 2 vulnerable cycles are on the schedule set by the owner (and can't be changed once the first reinforcement starts).

This takes away a half-step in how stupidly long it takes to kill a citadel. It makes moon timing less attractive to anyone who can actually fight (because they have to alarm clock themselves for it).

The downside is that there's more randos ringing doorbells with flaming poop by poking at citadels they can't hope to kill. But if that happens, put some fuel in your asshouse and man the drat guns.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
delete sov, who ever gets the most bounties per month owns that system

remove citadels

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

citadel status: cool + good, more = more better

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hello I'm a giant idiot that also played eve when I was like 15 and now I have an itch to fly cool space ships around. I'd like to carve out a little niche mining and then producing stuff, maybe even build up a cool blueprint or two or something.

Is this naive and hopeless and all the best stuff is already done? Should I just rush a bunch of combat skills and join a corp to be fodder or spend the rest of my days getting suicide dunked mining in high sec for the killmail until I move on to another game?

I don't need a full guide, I just want a veteran take on whether within a month or two I could manage an industrial presence that's not meeting ore Buy Orders. I'll probably join a corp once I have a handle on what the poo poo I'm doing, but I don't want to feel like I'm wasting time if I join some corp that just goes "yeah we've got a guy for that already."

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Run away. Or join GSF if you're dead set on getting blown up on sight by just about everyone worth mentioning until you make it to GoonSov.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Hello I'm a giant idiot that also played eve when I was like 15 and now I have an itch to fly cool space ships around. I'd like to carve out a little niche mining and then producing stuff, maybe even build up a cool blueprint or two or something.

Is this naive and hopeless and all the best stuff is already done? Should I just rush a bunch of combat skills and join a corp to be fodder or spend the rest of my days getting suicide dunked mining in high sec for the killmail until I move on to another game?

I don't need a full guide, I just want a veteran take on whether within a month or two I could manage an industrial presence that's not meeting ore Buy Orders. I'll probably join a corp once I have a handle on what the poo poo I'm doing, but I don't want to feel like I'm wasting time if I join some corp that just goes "yeah we've got a guy for that already."

Come to Delve and start building medium tech 1 blasters so I can buy some.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

industry and mining is boring and poo poo do some pvp

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

lucifirius posted:

To a lot of the people railing against it removing asset safety would mean:

1)They can destroy people's assets, which has a chance of making them unhappy and producing chat/forum logs with people crying in them

2) More ISK is destroyed then just what was fitted to the structure. Large sums of ISK destroyed makes their penis become the big penis

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

there is nothing to take away from someone any more, and the act of taking away someone's sov is totally not worth the effort

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Is it not time for a new thread yet? This one's starting to get a bit ripe.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Oodles posted:

Is it not time for a new thread yet? This one's starting to get a bit ripe.

Maybe gsf should make the next OP as the last surviving Eve guild. So someone active in the game can keep the OP up to date.

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Catberry posted:

Maybe gsf should make the next OP as the last surviving Eve guild. So someone active in the game can keep the OP up to date.

Corp! In EVE we have Corps no deals with Orcs and Trolls in the spaceship game buissnes. Ok you can sell them Jita Contracts but thats an diferent storie :cheeky:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Lets eve it up yall.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

XenJ posted:

Corp! In EVE we have Corps no deals with Orcs and Trolls in the spaceship game buissnes. Ok you can sell them Jita Contracts but thats an diferent storie :cheeky:

Guild is just a name for a large enough gathering of nerds.

One nerd
Two nerds
A bundle of sticks
A guild of nerds.

On top of that snoobies and ascholes (ascendants?) lose their poo poo on the behalf of goon culture when you call it a guild on jabber. Like old victorian lady "dear lord" with the dropped teacup levels of indignation. It's pretty funny.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Lets eve it up yall.

have you been freed yet?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Catberry posted:

Seems a bit of a poison chalice, who ever writes the OP stops playing, much like being on the CSM.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Catberry posted:

On top of that snoobies and ascholes (ascendants?) lose their poo poo on the behalf of goon culture when you call it a guild on jabber. Like old victorian lady "dear lord" with the dropped teacup levels of indignation. It's pretty funny.

Now I'll have to try this.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

nex posted:

have you been freed yet?

There is no escape, freedom is an illusion.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Oodles posted:

Seems a bit of a poison chalice, who ever writes the OP stops playing, much like being on the CSM.

Great. Xenuria and Joe Barbarian can make it together then.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Klyith posted:

Some people think they can force other people to fight by raising the stakes for loss and not-fighting. Literally "the beatings will continue until morale improves" thinking.

Basically a lot of pvpers look at the (terrible, moribund) state of nullsec & w-space and don't see how the game mechanics over the last 3-5 years have created it. Instead they think that more of the same will somehow fix it.

They're not great but a super-complex system isn't great either unless you're good enough at designing it to catch all the edge effects. Auto-defenses are not the solution, people are already using tactics to avoid manned defenses.

I think that a good compromise on citadels could just be making them vulnerable 24/7 for the first timer. That would remove the dumb 2-week invulnerability trick and let opponents generate timers whenever is convenient for them. Then the next 2 vulnerable cycles are on the schedule set by the owner (and can't be changed once the first reinforcement starts).

This takes away a half-step in how stupidly long it takes to kill a citadel. It makes moon timing less attractive to anyone who can actually fight (because they have to alarm clock themselves for it).

The downside is that there's more randos ringing doorbells with flaming poop by poking at citadels they can't hope to kill. But if that happens, put some fuel in your asshouse and man the drat guns.

This is a good set of ideas, shame CCP will never put them into practice.

Randos ringing doorbells is nothing new, honestly, and can easily be dealt with.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

I'm hardly much of a veteran but I can tell you that mining and industry are not things that share a lot of skills and don't really go together as well as many people seem to think. If you find you like mining, do mining, and if you find you like building stuff, do industry, and if the market part of those activities is what you really like, do that instead. It's a terrible mistake to think that you have to do the not-fun thing in order to do the fun thing, because chances are your not-fun thing is someone else's fun thing and they'll do it fairly cheaply for you.

Most solo non-pvp is extremely tedious, or becomes tedious usually about a week after you renew your subscription. It doesn't have to be this way, but the tendency to minimize risk and maximize profits pushes it in that direction. If you're willing to live more marginally, you can find a little more fun.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I think the problem with industry is that you're competing with people who have been gathering blueprints for a decade. People who earned their original investments several times over and now consider a 5% profit a good haul on their perfect manufacturing jobs.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I'm hardly much of a veteran but I can tell you that mining and industry are not things that share a lot of skills and don't really go together as well as many people seem to think. If you find you like mining, do mining, and if you find you like building stuff, do industry, and if the market part of those activities is what you really like, do that instead. It's a terrible mistake to think that you have to do the not-fun thing in order to do the fun thing, because chances are your not-fun thing is someone else's fun thing and they'll do it fairly cheaply for you.

Most solo non-pvp is extremely tedious, or becomes tedious usually about a week after you renew your subscription. It doesn't have to be this way, but the tendency to minimize risk and maximize profits pushes it in that direction. If you're willing to live more marginally, you can find a little more fun.

That's good advice. I want to be able to do a little bit of everything, but I figured I could train up a decent Cruiser for missions and to re-learn the game after so many years, but focus a lot of my effort on building and selling stuff because the economic side of the game seems pretty cool. I sold some of my initial plex for a skill injector so that gave me a minor head start toward a base level of combat competency.

I just didn't want to dump a month of training and learning into the industry or markets to find out that there's no money to be made because 10 dudes who've been playing 10 years can blow you out of the market and there's no room to compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
That, and if you're selling in hi-sec, some of the industry people there mine their own minerals because mining your own makes them "free" in their minds.

• Locked thread