Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What's a sweet potato head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowy posted:

a head shaped like a sweet potato. Not symmetrical from the front

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Snowy posted:

Do you know what a sweet potato looks like? Imagine someone's head looks like that.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

LentThem posted:

i enjoy that it's easier for her to chip bollards out of the road with a pickaxe than it is to operate a car in reverse

Or even just drive straight through the gap that is wide enough for her car? It looks pretty close, anyway.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This came up when I searched for Adele's tour bus.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
http://komonews.com/news/local/delta-flight-returns-to-seattle-after-passenger-ties-to-enter-cockpit

quote:

SEA-TAC AIRPORT, Wash. - A Delta Airlines flight bound for Beijing had to return to Sea-Tac Airport Thursday night after an in-flight disturbance with an unruly passenger in first class.
According to Sea-Tac Airport spokesperson Perry Cooper, it happened on board Delta flight 129. He said a man assaulted a flight attendant about 45 minutes into the flight. Multiple passengers then helped restrain the man until the plane landed safely back in Seattle.
In a statement Delta said, "The passenger was restrained on board and was removed from the flight by law enforcement without further incident."
Two people, including the flight attendant were injured and taken to the hospital. No word yet on their conditions of the extent of their injuries.
The suspect was also injured but refused treatment and was taken into custody by Port of Seattle Police.
Delta said the FBI is now investigating. They said the incident does not appear to be a national security threat.
All passengers on the flight were deboarded from the plane and kept behind security in the terminal.
According to the flight tracking website FlightAware, Delta flight 129 was scheduled to leave again for Beijing around 12:09 a.m. Friday.

Really wanna hear the details about this...

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/luluyilun/status/882835222487851010

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's the flood version of "This is fine"

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This came up when I searched for Adele's tour bus.

I lol'd hard irl. Superbowl to you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://streamable.com/hvf2q
To be fair, this would be my reaction to walking on a glass bridge in China too.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"We want to risk illness and permanent disease for food that tastes like that one pepper!"

Though I went out during a monsoon in India to get a thali from a place I liked. I was walking barefoot for 5km and realized at one point that the stuff up to my ankles was from an overflowing sewer. I didn't get any Hep, so I guess I was lucky to not have any split feet. When I got home (super full), I realized how dangerous and stupid it was, even if the food owned.

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair, this would be my reaction to walking on a glass bridge in China too.
Fuckin ROFL

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sweet potato head is my own original description for lumpy heads after working in kindergarten for 10 years. I give it to this thread to sow across the internet whenever asymmetrical skulls are discussed.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

And iirc Mini Jack Ma was found living in shoeless poverty, barely educated because his disabled unemployed parents couldn't pay for school. His skull:face ratio endeared a wealthy patron who is now paying his school fees.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

peanut posted:

His skull:face ratio endeared a wealthy patron who is now paying his school fees.

The kid better have the lobes for business! :females:

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

thinking on it, i think my favorite chinglish is "middle school student" and "senior high school student."

"I remember when I was in 17, and in middle school..."

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

china has CLEARLY marked in mspaint where the border is, it's so hosed that India is still rabblerousing and stirring up trouble after 3 weeks

https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/883270197569875968

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

angel opportunity posted:

thinking on it, i think my favorite chinglish is "middle school student"

But...middle school is a thing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

chinese people will often translate "high school" into "middle school" which can make some really or confusing sentences

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

blame Australia for calling public schools gymnasium.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

beep-beep car is go posted:

But...middle school is a thing.

Not when you're 18. Unless you're really special.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

peanut posted:

Or the British for calling private schools "public schools" and 12th grade "6th form" and high school "college" and all the other indeceipherable gibberish you wonder why their benighted islands are so hosed up.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

peanut posted:

Yes, lets bring all the children to the naked training place.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/ChrisDerps/status/883274496009842689

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

china has CLEARLY marked in mspaint where the border is, it's so hosed that India is still rabblerousing and stirring up trouble after 3 weeks

https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/883270197569875968

One thing I've noticed is that the word "should" in any headline instantly identifies it as trash CCP propaganda.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Shenzhen man = Florida man?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

JaucheCharly posted:

Shenzhen man = Florida man?

florida:us::henan:china

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Baronjutter posted:

I doubt you'd want to hold on to the guard rail made by the same company, though.

hakimashou posted:

Or the British for calling private schools "public schools" and 12th grade "6th form" and high school "college" and all the other indeceipherable gibberish you wonder why their benighted islands are so hosed up.

That poo poo's infected Canada, too. I went to a high school that had "college" in its name.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
For those playing at home:
Elementary school 國小 or 小學
Middle school 國中 or 中學
High school 高中
University 大學

小 means little, 中 means middle or China, 高 means tall, 國 means national or country, 學 means study or school, 大 means big.

So elementary and middle school are pretty self explanatory, with 國 implying that it's a national/government school (which are the good ones and harder to get into). University again is pretty on the nose as an interpretation of the end of most students' academic careers.

That leaves high school as the odd man out and because it uses 中 just like middle school and is where the confusion comes from.

Graduate school is 研究所, which is literally "intensive study institute", and doesn't quite fit the pattern.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 7, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Taiwan has different terms it looks like. The only names I've ever seen here are 小学 elementary 中学 for middle/high and 大学 is university. I'm assuming that loving insane mess of a character is 学.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I just love this Donald Yeltsin character at these GX type meetings

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

having some fun on twitter this morning

https://twitter.com/ChinaCrisisNow/status/883309290370609154

https://twitter.com/levonwei/status/883302809793421312

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

謝謝,同志。

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm 14 and I'm moving to China for 6 weeks to develop games

Is this kid going to get the opportunity of a lifetime or be turned into hamburger parts?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm 14 and I'm moving to China for 6 weeks to develop games

Is this kid going to get the opportunity of a lifetime or be turned into hamburger parts?

quote:

Thanks for the info. I'm not worried about being scammed or anything, the company is Netease if you want to check it. To get my visa the company had to provide all the information to the embassy so I'm all good when it comes to that. The scholarship money is still getting sorted but I believe it will be finalised once I get over there as the company informed me that one of the things I'll be doing over there is preparing for university applications. It's not a school, it's a large campus in Hangzhou, and I know nothing but 'hello' in Chinese. I live in Ireland and I met the guy at the airport, as he was in Ireland meeting up a Minecraft dev called Hypixel Noxy. I'm definitely nervous about it but there is no chance I'm turning down an opportunity this big, I'll try and keep people on this sub updated when I'm over there :)

He is gonna get hosed over, worked like a mule to program, and have his source code stolen. Or that scholarship is gonna require he give up his source code of his game or work for the company for a set amount of time.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i love china

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm assuming that loving insane mess of a character is 学.

Please do not criticize. You cannot understand.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Grand Fromage posted:

Taiwan has different terms it looks like. The only names I've ever seen here are 小学 elementary 中学 for middle/high and 大学 is university. I'm assuming that loving insane mess of a character is 学.

lmao we got a pro prc laowai right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Modest Mao posted:

lmao we got a pro prc laowai right here

*sighs as he unsheaths his lockpick and pizza oven*

• Locked thread