Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i usually tell people thdt i touch the computer and then health-care happens

but only for 1 more day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

i usually tell people thdt i touch the computer and then health-care happens

but only for 1 more day.

i've recently started reading the tp thread starting at 2017 and seeing all your posts knowing where you end up is so :3:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I like to say that I'm like the guy that designed your transmission, an IT guy is the guy that fixes it. :iiaca:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm the guy that keeps the traffic lights working then, I think, :iiaca:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
recruiters are The loving Worst

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I used to try to explain like 'so you know what a saas is?'

I don't do that anymore

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

I like to say that I'm like the guy that designed your transmission, an IT guy is the guy that fixes it. :iiaca:

I go with "I make the chips talk to each other".

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
SaaS my PaaS with your IaaS, then smoke GraaS

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Agreed, JewKiller 3000.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

SaaS my PaaS with your IaaS, then smoke GraaS

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I usually just say "computer stuff" and that satisfies the majority of people

The worst is when people don't know "tech" insist on more information

*long explanation*
So...software or hardware? :smug:
How long has it been since that was a relevant question for most jobs

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

ShadowHawk posted:

This is a Linked In request yes?

The reason for this is that they don't have to pay the linked in fee if you respond, positively or negatively, to the message. If you just ignore it then they have to pay.

Could've fooled me. My LinkedIn inbox looks more like a spam email account then a career networking inbox at this point.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

e:

cheque_some posted:

I usually just say "computer stuff" and that satisfies the majority of people

The worst is when people don't know "tech" insist on more information

*long explanation*
So...software or hardware? :smug:
How long has it been since that was a relevant question for most jobs

My dad does consulting work directly with business owners and when I was looking for my first internship in college I made the mistake of agreeing to interview with one of his clients that "did stuff with computers".

Turns out they were a 3rd party helpdesk company and they tried to offer me a 12 week unpaid internship rather than just part ways when we realized that the position had very little to do with my education.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 7, 2017

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

ThePeavstenator posted:

Could've fooled me. My LinkedIn inbox looks more like a spam email account then a career networking inbox at this point.

What do you have in your profile that has recruiters hitting you up?

I've been developing software for about 10 years now. I get a request from a recruiter a couple of times a month, but nothing like the deluge some people complain about. My guess is its because I have no front end experience (that I advertise on linkedin)

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ADINSX posted:

I've been developing software for about 10 years now. I get a request from a recruiter a couple of times a month, but nothing like the deluge some people complain about. My guess is its because I have no front end experience (that I advertise on linkedin)

It might be the webdev stuff but I'm guessing it's just because I'm really young so recruiters see that as me being more likely to be willing to relocate and also be less attached to a technology or industry.

Also I'm in the Twin Cities, Madison/Milwaukee, Chicago belt which apparently has almost no unemployed devs but tons of dev positions. The only problem for me is that a ton of the positions I'm finding want people with 3+ years of experience which I can sort of say I have if I include internships.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ADINSX posted:

I get a couple a week. C++, C#, games.

most of it is "opportunities with one of our clients" etc

I was curious, so I took some calls once. almost universally they have nothing to do with my experience.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

When I was in London I'd get several recruiters a week hitting me up on LinkedIn. All of the jobs were with banks or hedge funds though so I was never interested.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

financial IT is not what it once was, but there is a lot of rather fun stuff in there. need to find the right entry mostly

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

financial IT is not what it once was, but there is a lot of rather fun stuff in there. need to find the right entry mostly

Pretty much. There's some cool work but I still know plenty of people who went to work for HSBC or whatever and left soon after because it wasn't what they had hoped it would be.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
my experience with bank IT is going to some training with some of them and their phones were ringing off the hook. i dont think any of them stayed in the room for more than 10 minutes

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

literally on a conf call with hsbc right now

it bad

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
c#/c++ is The Worst

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

c#/c++ is The Worst
easiest multiple choice question ever

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

c#/c++ is The Worst

definitely throwin away a resume with that on it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

c#/c++ is The Worst

c#/c++/cli/ohgodkillme

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i'm a java/javascript expert

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
bye bye epic

lol @ the hr guy begging me to send him an email explaining my comments in even further detail because they make him "very worried".

a phrase from the meeting : "so they just have a whole different dimension of compensation then?"

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

cis autodrag posted:

bye bye epic

lol @ the hr guy begging me to send him an email explaining my comments in even further detail because they make him "very worried".

a phrase from the meeting : "so they just have a whole different dimension of compensation then?"

welcome 2 da fig dimension

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

bye bye epic

so would the further details include "do you know if they're hiring for hr?"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

bye bye epic

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sweeper posted:

definitely throwin away a resume with that on it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I work on internal tools so my "customers" have no choice but to use them

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

cis autodrag posted:

bye bye epic

six whole dimensions of figgies, to be precise

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

ADINSX posted:

welcome 2 da fig dimension

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

anyone who lists that many things on their competencies better be a loving google architect or else i'm just gonna assume they're an idiot hipster

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
how did i know that guy would have 10,000 stickers on his laptop before scrolling down

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the skills list is where you write down every utility you've ever used once and can remember the name of, don't you know?

then you wonder why you keep failing interviews

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the skills list is where you write down every utility you've ever used once and can remember the name of, don't you know?

then you wonder why you keep failing interviews

you list all that crap so you can get past hr and find the real requirements from the hiring manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i knew a girl that would put everything possible on hers. she called me once 5 minutes before an interview to ask me how to do a bunch of complicated biochemistry stuff. she did not get the job.

• Locked thread