Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I gave up waiting for another crash to make houses affordable so we just bought one among the goats and horses in Irving. Mortgage dudes were waaay too eager for us to empty our 401k and move into a house well beyond our means. Every house goes for at least 10 grand more than it is worth, even if it reeks of dog piss, and all anyone says is "yep it's a ~crazy~ market!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Friend posted:

I gave up waiting for another crash to make houses affordable so we just bought one among the goats and horses in Irving. Mortgage dudes were waaay too eager for us to empty our 401k and move into a house well beyond our means. Every house goes for at least 10 grand more than it is worth, even if it reeks of dog piss, and all anyone says is "yep it's a ~crazy~ market!"

There are so many houses in my neighborhood that used to be rentals that the owners are now putting up for sale. Think the record was the house was on the market for a day before the contract pending sign went up.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
When I started hearing ads on DFW radio about how to make money house flipping, that's when I knew... I KNEW.

Also the beast's belly is starting to strain:

quote:

Up. They’re going up. You heard it right here. Again. This very magazine—which declared the year 2015 to be “The Hottest Dallas Real Estate Market Ever!” then, last year, declared 2016 to be “The Hottest Dallas Real Estate Market Ever! (Still!)”—is telling you that 2017 will be even better than 2016—for sellers, anyway.

Prices have continued to climb by double digits in parts of Dallas. The Park Cities and DeSoto posted 22 percent price gains this year. Sales of homes offered for more than $1 million are particularly robust. And CoreLogic has reported that Dallas was third in the nation in sales gains earlier this year, trailing only Seattle and Portland.

But keep looking at the data, and a curious picture emerges. The number of houses changing hands is only slightly up overall from 2016. Plus, sales were actually down in the early part of this year in several previously hot places, including Southlake and East Dallas. In once-white-hot North Oak Cliff, prices declined 3 percent through April.

[...]

Since Dallas-Fort Worth median incomes have only risen 5.7 percent as median home prices have spiked more than 60 percent, some are worried that buyers will soon be forced to balk at further price increases. Anecdotally, some real estate agents say buyers have already started to push back against sellers, leading to longer time on the market for available properties.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2017/july/curb-appeal/is-dallas-housing-market-cooling-off/

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/879349533431537667

Also SB 4 hearing in SA federal court today. Cell phones banned so updates should start coming out around the noon break.

We ain't going to secede, I wish news in general would loving shut up about it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Iunno man, Boys' State has some clout

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
MAKE TEXAS BOYS AGAIN

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I still don't understand what Boys State is after four years of seeing them all over campus.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Isn't there a girl's state? I swear I've heard of that. That sounds like a much more useful thing.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I did Boys State in 04. Hated it at the time. I would probably like it more now though, since I'm more politically minded.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dear lord

quote:

The owner of "Unbarlievable," located at 76 Rainey Street in Downtown Austin, had been accused in a Reddit post of sending a racist and sexist response to a negative review of the bar on Google. The waitstaff is also accused of bringing out a large beer order to a customer in the shape of a swastika.

Rainey Street is bad, folks. Also, Unbarlievable UGH

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

zoux posted:

Dear lord

I can't help but wonder if that means they complied with a customer request to arrange the beer into a swastika, or if they just did it on their own initiative. Both possibilities are horrible, but each adds a unique texture to the event.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Dear lord

I wonder how this guy thought this would work out for him

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I wonder how this guy thought this would work out for him

Well he apparently he got his shares of the Goodnight bought out. Maybe he wanted out entirely. But seriously wtf did he expect was going to happen?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jiro posted:

Well he apparently he got his shares of the Goodnight bought out. Maybe he wanted out entirely. But seriously wtf did he expect was going to happen?

When you're the boss, you get away with a lot of poo poo because the people under you will just put up with it (or people who won't put up with it quickly quit and you end up surrounded by likeminded assholes). Combine that with the fact that everyone is in their internet bubble right now and constantly sees memes/STDH/news posts about how their view is right and everyone who disagrees with them is a moron, and you end up with a case where a guy can legitimately think it's okay to say that kind of poo poo.

Oh yea, and being a bar owner means you're probably drinking much more than the average person...

EDIT: Also, this applies...

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 29, 2017

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Texas keeps being Texas...

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/880515732257296385

It's going to be interesting if there is a stay on DACA renewals. Not a lawyer, so I don't know what that will look like. But any stops put to renewals will wreak a lot of Dreamers' lives.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dawnna Dukes, who is the worst, is being arraigned today:

https://twitter.com/AutulloAAS/status/880828642376515588

e: trial date set for October

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 30, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

I can't help but wonder if that means they complied with a customer request to arrange the beer into a swastika, or if they just did it on their own initiative. Both possibilities are horrible, but each adds a unique texture to the event.
Right-wingers in Austin seem to go hard loving right in a kind of mirror of how liberal Austinites tend to be more left while surrounded by the rest of Texas. It's like a Russian nesting doll.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:ughh:

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Right-wingers in Austin seem to go hard loving right in a kind of mirror of how liberal Austinites tend to be more left while surrounded by the rest of Texas. It's like a Russian nesting doll.

Ah, Horseshoe Theory :twisted:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Texas Supreme Court ruled today that Obergfell actually only means gays can get married, not that they can get anything else. So a case challenging the City of Houston's granting of spousal benefits to same sex couples goes back to court.

The Court originally declined to hear the case but was then intimidated into doing so by a bunch of social conservatives (including Abbott, Paxton, and Patrick, natch).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Badger of Basra posted:

The Texas Supreme Court ruled today that Obergfell actually only means gays can get married, not that they can get anything else. So a case challenging the City of Houston's granting of spousal benefits to same sex couples goes back to court.

The Court originally declined to hear the case but was then intimidated into doing so by a bunch of social conservatives (including Abbott, Paxton, and Patrick, natch).

Well, the good news is that in a couple of years we'll have a SCOTUS ruling that confirms that you can't deny benefits based on the type of marriage.

The bad news, well, that's everything between then and now...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LanceHunter posted:

Well, the good news is that in a couple of years we'll have a SCOTUS ruling that confirms that you can't deny benefits based on the type of marriage.

The bad news, well, that's everything between then and now...

Depending on what happens to SCOTUS between now and when a relevant case finally makes its way up there, that might not be true. I'm honestly spooked that they might take away gay marriage depending how the next 7 years go.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

It is a bit more complicated than that. It is more they are playing political hot potato and don't want to make a ruling on it either way. They kicked it back down to try to keep their hands clean come reelection and are most likely desperately wanting a federal court to step in and save them.

Still lovely of them to use the Gorsuch defense of "was not spelled out explicitly in the SCOTUS ruling" as their excuse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump's Voter Fraud Commission is going extremely well so far.

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/880888655547650049

Buddy, if we aren't cooperating...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Trump's Voter Fraud Commission is going extremely well so far.

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/880888655547650049

Buddy, if we aren't cooperating...

The letter was always for all public information. Texas is providing public information:

quote:

"The Secretary of State's office will provide the Election Integrity Commission with public information and will protect the private information of Texas citizens while working to maintain the security and integrity of our state's elections system," Texas Secretary of State Rolando Pablos said. "As always, my office will continue to exercise the utmost care whenever sensitive voter information is required to be released by state or federal law."

Information such as name, address and political party are public information in Texas. Social security number is not, according to Pablos' office.

The confusion is that the letter asked for anything publicly available and then listed things that may or may not be public information:

quote:

The letter, sent to the secretaries of state of all 50 states and obtained by The Hill, directs states to turn over “publicly-available voter roll data including, if publicly available under the laws of your state, the full first and last names of all registrants, middle names or initials if available, addresses, dates of birth, political party (if recorded in your state), last four digits of social security number if available, [and] voter history from 2006 onward.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/340117-trump-election-integrity-commission-requests-years-of-voter-data-from

So it sounds like Texas is doing exactly what was asked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/880901528311267328

Well the SOS of MS doesn't think it's so innocuous

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/880901528311267328

Well the SOS of MS doesn't think it's so innocuous

I don't think it is innocuous, just that red states are enjoying being able to play both sides. Smugly declare they won't share anything illegal while still turning over as much as they can.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cubbie9000/status/880927243899482112

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

hahaha get hosed

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I don't get it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grouchio posted:

I don't get it.

Bar whose owner has been a giant shitbag.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Bar whose owner has been a giant shitbag.

An unbarlievable shitbag.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I don't get it.

Scroll up.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

An unbarlievable shitbag.

Someone who forgot being edgy and counter culture with your friends does not translate so well to running a successful business.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There's a massive piece on the Texas Legislature in the New Yorker and it's pretty good.

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/881838881238208512

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Badger of Basra posted:

There's a massive piece on the Texas Legislature in the New Yorker and it's pretty good.

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/881838881238208512

Reading it now, and yea. If you ever need to explain Texas politics to anyone (or if you need to understand them yourself), this article is a very good starting point.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

Reading it now, and yea. If you ever need to explain Texas politics to anyone (or if you need to understand them yourself), this article is a very good starting point.
Runs very contrary to the usual news from Texas on my BBC feed. If I'm not mistaken.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah this should be stuff any lifelong Texan already knows but I sent it to a friend in Vermont and he's loving loving it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/882791885059829760

:whitewater:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9LJ-Hc2QmU

It's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012