Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

http://www.fairstone.com/property/or/portland/97231/-/14125-nw-germantown-rd/57d1fa7e30e08a73a0000144/

wait for it...

wait for it...

It was built in 2014, listed for sale in 2015 (hence the date on the MLS photos) at $7.175 million and 2 years later they're still trying to sell the monstrosity.

This looks like what someone would do if they wanted their house to look like a castle, but their only exposure to castles was through amusement parks.

Seriously, it's like the Magic Kingdom but without out all the attention to detail to balance out all the cheap materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The huge "The Oasis" text on the wall made me 100% assume it was some sort of little resort hotel. It's really peak "residential decor as tacky commercial design".

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Baronjutter posted:

The huge "The Oasis" text on the wall made me 100% assume it was some sort of little resort hotel. It's really peak "residential decor as tacky commercial design".

It's definitely proof that money can't buy taste.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

The track lighting looks incredibly out of place.
Apart from an art gallery, is there anywhere track lightning doesn't look out of place?

If you're going to go the industrial fan route, at least go all in. http://www.bigassfans.com/

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 6, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I saw that and was like "this is a Howard Johnson, right?" Do people really want their homes to look like tacky conventioneer hotels?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Has anyone ever ordered from Article, Interior Define, Benchmade Modern, or Joybird? They have some really cool looking couches and stuff, but it's a leap of faith to order from internet only companies.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Collateral Damage posted:

If you're going to go the industrial fan route, at least go all in. http://www.bigassfans.com/

That site led me to this: https://www.haikuhome.com/artisan-collection

Custom big-rear end fans with patterns on them! Because you know, just having a big-rear end fan isn't enough. You want to make sure people notice that poo poo.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Apart from an art gallery, is there anywhere track lightning doesn't look out of place?

Along a train line? :v:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

paternity suitor posted:

Has anyone ever ordered from Article, Interior Define, Benchmade Modern, or Joybird? They have some really cool looking couches and stuff, but it's a leap of faith to order from internet only companies.

Ordered a couch from Joybird.com a week ago. I'll report back in 2 months if everything went OK.

Swatches were nicely packaged. Seemed OK so far.

I think delivery is going to be the tricky part of this transaction.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

http://www.fairstone.com/property/or/portland/97231/-/14125-nw-germantown-rd/57d1fa7e30e08a73a0000144/

wait for it...

wait for it...

It was built in 2014, listed for sale in 2015 (hence the date on the MLS photos) at $7.175 million and 2 years later they're still trying to sell the monstrosity.

This place is so tacky is loops all the way around to being awesome. Wanna drink that wine next to my suit of armor and indoor/outdoor terrace.

gently caress those haters, I bet parties there would be awesome.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would absolutely stay there if it were a B&B and I had money to burn. But a library with no books . . . a shameful library

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

I would absolutely stay there if it were a B&B and I had money to burn. But a library with no books . . . a shameful library

Can we post good sort of interior designs in this thread, or is there another thread for it? Because this bit reminded me of a house / interior that I super duper love the aesthetic of 'library-ish but empty shelves-ish'. Though it's only part of the house, tbh.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Just post, dude.

I'm really down with Giant Mansion House. Hell, just give me a leather-clad high-backed chair next to a gigantic marble fireplace and a suit of armor, and I'm home.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

value-brand cereal posted:

Can we post good sort of interior designs in this thread, or is there another thread for it? Because this bit reminded me of a house / interior that I super duper love the aesthetic of 'library-ish but empty shelves-ish'. Though it's only part of the house, tbh.

Please post good design.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

There's plenty of good design out there... it's almost more fun to find the turds. It's architecture centered and less interior design, but Archdaily you can pretty much count on having good interior shots with the projects they feature.

Though every once and a while I have to scratch my head... the stupid bean bag-ish chair in this stark minimal home: http://www.archdaily.com/804561/residential-unit-at-the-paluzza-inner-service-ceschia-e-mentil-architetti-associati

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ok! This was the big library with the empty shelves I was thinking of. I think, even without the tall ceilings it would still function well as an aesthetically pleasing room.

quote:

Sp Penthouse in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Project by Studio MK27

The celebrated Brazilian Studio MK27, founded in the early 80′s by architect Marcio Kogan -renowned as one of the most worldwide influential persons on the scene of design and architecture- designed the architectural interiors of this stunning penthouse in Sao Paulo. The goal was to create fluid open spaces with a cozy and solemn atmosphere, where the fixed custom contemporary furniture should be in perfect harmony with the design classics from the Brazialian, Scandinavian and Italian signs, such as Hans Wegner, Franco Albini and Gio Ponti.

Text and images from here: http://madabout-interior-design.tumblr.com/post/162047776616/sp-penthouse-in-sao-paulo-brazil-project-by

More pics, of the nice library living room area, and parts of the house.

I assume this is.... the bathroom????

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Holy poo poo that floating fireplace...and the window...plunge pool...bookcasesssss

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

That's gorgeous though, and I appreciate that they were able to include a couple big ol' comfy-looking couches in an otherwise ~modern~ living room. The empty library shelving gives it an almost Brutalist vibe.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Youth Decay posted:

That's gorgeous though, and I appreciate that they were able to include a couple big ol' comfy-looking couches in an otherwise ~modern~ living room. The empty library shelving gives it an almost Brutalist vibe.

Yeah to be clear I love it all

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's sort of reminiscent of the acoustic baffles you'd see in an opera house, at least to me.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

i was about to say "of course, in fact, right now i'm..." before realizing i'm doing the install spec for... an art gallery

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think, even without the tall ceilings it would still function well as an aesthetically pleasing room.

I dunno, the way it drifts on up to infinity has serious wow factor, if it was a normal-height room it'd feel like you were in a sound isolation studio (without the sound isolation).

That room is really stunning all over, shame the rest of the house looks like a 1970s hotel meeting room.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My parents used to have wall to ceiling book cases and shelves in every of the house, even parts of the kitchen were not immune. Everything had to come down when the electrics had to be redone and 10,000 books were given to charity because the attic was full.

It wasn't as nice looking as you would think it might be, Library rooms only look good when you have leather bound or matching sets, my parents house looked like an actual library.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bookshelf swag & our suburban castle.

Yeah it got messy fast.

vvv as someone who worked in a public library I totally understand how "looks like a library" isn't always good (000s are ridiculous)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 7, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

My parents used to have wall to ceiling book cases and shelves in every of the house, even parts of the kitchen were not immune. Everything had to come down when the electrics had to be redone and 10,000 books were given to charity because the attic was full.

It wasn't as nice looking as you would think it might be, Library rooms only look good when you have leather bound or matching sets, my parents house looked like an actual library.

You say "looks like a library" like that's a bad thing...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is a thin line between having a nice collection of books and weird hoarding I fear :) if you have run out of wall and still have to double shelve then it's time to start taking boxes of books to a charity shop (goodwill/thrift store) so others can enjoy them.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

There is a thin line between having a nice collection of books and weird hoarding I fear :) if you have run out of wall and still have to double shelve then it's time to start taking boxes of books to a charity shop (goodwill/thrift store) so others can enjoy them.

Ok, that I can give you. I enjoy a room full of neat shelves, even if they're mostly old paper backs. But when the book collection doubles as insulation it's gone to far.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gonna build a plinth surrounded by velvet curtains and put a kindle on it.

Why even bother with regular paperback novels?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Picture boooooookkks never end

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

peanut posted:

Bookshelf swag & our suburban castle.

Yeah it got messy fast.

vvv as someone who worked in a public library I totally understand how "looks like a library" isn't always good (000s are ridiculous)

Tell me more about that built-in den you have there on the left? Is that custom? Really bold color choices. I love the interior window as a nod to early 19th c. urban breezeways.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

We don't have our financing together yet, so I'm really just noodling around. I found two houses I love and am trying to explore why I love them so much.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Ijamsville/11302-Windsor-Rd-21754/home/15188903

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Laurel/306-Montgomery-St-20707/home/10712232

I would love your comments, thread.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Totally looks like something from Blade Runner.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

More pics, of the nice library living room area, and parts of the house.

I assume this is.... the bathroom????

I appreciate the owners' committment to the design, but to me this looks like a movie set of an office suite or hotel conference venue circa 1975.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think all of us that grew up in the beige shoebox era of home design are really drawn to homes with built-in storage and actual architectural details. So many textures! So much shelving!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

We don't have our financing together yet, so I'm really just noodling around. I found two houses I love and am trying to explore why I love them so much.

HOLY poo poo. Buy the house with the loving tree fort playground thing asap. Also adopt me as your overgrown child. That's a sweet backyard as well, excellent for camping and star gazing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rabbit Hill posted:

I appreciate the owners' committment to the design, but to me this looks like a movie set of an office suite or hotel conference venue circa 1975.

Yea the room sizes are too cavernous to look like anything other than a conference room, a lobby, a small spa, or a swanky area for VIP members at an airport.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

WrenP-Complete posted:

If you're moving to Laurel or Ijamsville, the big thing to consider is where your work commute takes you to / from. Ijamsville is very rural, that section of Laurel is pretty nice, close to main street (restaurants / butcher / small stores / post office) without being too near the river.

Both houses are really nice. Bathrooms are small in the Montgomery St house. It has a lot of odd angles, but most of the rooms are nice. + floored basement. I like the fireplaces too. Bigger house, smaller lot.
Ijamsvile: Meh on propane, OK with solar. Sealed fireplace bugs me. Smaller house, bigger lot. I like the idea of the finished outbuilding.
Local taxes are higher in Laurel (Prince Georges county) than in Ijamsville. (Frederick county)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Found on the streets of Toronto

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nothing feels more authentically homely than Arial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Arial being a low-quality ripoff of Helvetica is also fitting.