Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

bewilderment posted:

Jesus I just want to finish the 2.0 MSQ why I do keep getting level-locked.

I'm now at level 43 with like a third of a bar to go for 44 and doing Garuda (I assume) and I have no idea what the most efficient way to do it is. Unlike the early quests there's not yet a 40+ 'quest hub'.

Earlier I caught up because I realised I entirely forgot to do guildhests and so that caught me up a bit but I've run out of those apparently.

Do Palace of the Dead, or whatever the most recent dungeon you've unlocked is, or your levelling roulette, or your hunting log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ignimbrite posted:

Have you been doing some fates? Queued for a dungeon or two? Hunt logs? Deep dungeon in Quarrymill, even?

Palace of the Dead is probably what I'm going to do since I haven't touched that yet. I've done the first half of my set of 40-50 hunt logs and the rest are enough above my level that I'm probably not saving any time seeking them out.

What is the actual 'reward' for levelling roulette and guildhest roulette? I did them for the rewards but I can't tell what they actually give me.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah i believe it's right around that area that leveling slows down on purpose as the intention as you go do things that aren't just questing? At least that's how i believe it was told to me when i was around that level range.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought RDM used their swords/crystals as their focus, not their bodies.

Red Mages use their bodies' aether to power their spells. The crystal is an "accelerator" that lets them cast powerful spells while drawing as little of their own aether as possible. When they use enchanted sword attacks, they're using the residual magic built up in the accelerator. Incidentally, they actually represented this in gameplay: Red Mage spells cost less MP than most other casters, but in return, they have no job-specific way to restore their MP, only a role action.

The difference with Sylphie is that she didn't have an accelerator, so to use powerful magic, she needed to draw the full necessary aether from her body alone.

During the job quests, I think it comes up that if someone were to cast like Sylphie--drawing a ton of aether--and also use an accelerator, it would be both insanely powerful and probably kill you and everything around you.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

bewilderment posted:

What is the actual 'reward' for levelling roulette and guildhest roulette? I did them for the rewards but I can't tell what they actually give me.

When you're at max level, the Roulettes (with the exception of guildhests, since, lol, almost no-one does them) gives you endgame currency. If you're at a level you can't earn that currency, they give bonus exp once a day.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bewilderment posted:

Jesus I just want to finish the 2.0 MSQ why I do keep getting level-locked.

I'm now at level 43 with like a third of a bar to go for 44 and doing Garuda (I assume) and I have no idea what the most efficient way to do it is. Unlike the early quests there's not yet a 40+ 'quest hub'.

Earlier I caught up because I realised I entirely forgot to do guildhests and so that caught me up a bit but I've run out of those apparently.

I think this, and a later point at like level 47, were the most annoying parts of the entire MSQ in terms of level requirements. Here's some stuff you can do to make sure you're always at, or above the MSQ requirements:

- Do all the guildhests once as they become available since those give a pretty decent first time bonus.
- Do your class hunting log.
- Do your GC hunting log
- Do the available roulettes every day, you should have both Guildhests and leveling at this point.
- Make sure you have unlocked the challenge log. This is a list of tasks (do 5 dungeons, do 5 fates in different areas etc.) which give really good exp for stuff you are basically already doing. This resets every tuesday.
- Always have a food buff going when you're killing stuff, the bonus is only 3% but every thing adds up.
- If you're a tank or a healer you can always do some runs of the highest level dungeon available to you.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

Palace of the Dead is probably what I'm going to do since I haven't touched that yet. I've done the first half of my set of 40-50 hunt logs and the rest are enough above my level that I'm probably not saving any time seeking them out.

Hunting log is 4-5 mobs per type, max, and if you bring your chocobuddy you can clear them several levels ahead. The hardest part is finding some of the mobs. You also get large chunks of grand company seals for it.

Roulettes award bonus XP and gil and grand company seals which you use to rank up in your GC or buy GC gear. Big rewards can be gained once a day, and there's a bonus if your role is "in need", but the bonus is really small and doesn't really compensate for getting eg. a low level dungeon instead of one close to your level.

The guildhest roulette isn't really worth a lot, but if you unlocked the challenge log, there's a weekly XP bonus for completing a certain number of them. You should run each guildhest at least once because they also give a nice amount of XP the first time. If you do dungeons for XP, run the leveling roulette once per daily reset, then queue for the highest level dungeon you have unlocked. Some of those are not part of the story and need to be unlocked through sidequests (they should all have blue icons with a + sign these days).

If roulette, hunting log, sidequests and first time rewards for guildhests are not enough, there's PotD (you'll run a lot of that soon enough) and fates.

Also make sure you wear equipment with an XP bonus if you're synced to below their level limit.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Freaksaus posted:

- Do your GC hunting log

You can't do GC hunts until you get a job to 50 and unlock it.

Also adding to the above list: beast tribe quests which unlock at levels 41-44 are daily quests that give xp and tokens to trade for items.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Queueing for dungeons or roulettes as a DPS is the perfect time to run around doing sidequests, FATEs, hunting logs, etc. If you are doing those activities, make the most of your time and be queueing for something as well!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

You can't do GC hunts until you get a job to 50 and unlock it.

No no, not The Hunt. The Grand Company hunting log. You know, the one that makes you do Cutter's Cry and stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sylphie was super awesome at healing like her mother was but they had a fatal flaw of not communing with the elementals and borrowing their power so they healed with their own lifeforce instead. Sylphie's mom died like an idiot for this while Sylphie nearly did the same until you and your CNJ senpai both slap sense into her.

It's a metaphor for "hey you know those elementally themed buttons like Aero and Stone? You should use those too."

And to elaborate a little more since I just went through those quests recently, conjurers are in fluff the spiritual leaders of Gridania. When they're not flinging rocks at stuff or healing people, they're supposed to listen to the elements, heal them, and study nature so they develop a better understanding of the world they're supposed to be maintaining and protecting - none of this really comes into play for the PC, of course, but in story the conjurers and white mages are basically druids. Sylphie has a gift for healing and decided this means she'll be a conjurer, but she has no interest in studying nature or doing anything with conjuration beyond spamming heals. Changing that is the heart of her character arc - getting her to realize what a beautiful world she lives in and that being a conjurer is so much more than just spamming heals. She's been so wrapped up in her own gifts and her mom's death that she never appreciated the real role of the conjurers and the source of their power.

It's why she ultimately grew on me and I liked the CNJ story in the end. Given the constraints of the PC being silent though clearly talking in some scenes, I thought the PC was clearly taking over as Sylphie's teacher and even substitute parent.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

In mining and botany, is hq chance counted as a percentage of total or of nq?
For example, an item has 80% and hq 20%. Does it mean every gathering attempt has 16% chance of yielding hq, or 20%?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That would be an 80% chance to get the item at all and then 20% chance of it being HQ.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Got it, thanks.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

No no, not The Hunt. The Grand Company hunting log. You know, the one that makes you do Cutter's Cry and stuff.

I completely forgot this existed. I do remember it was terrible though, since more than likely you'd get a tank who wants to speedrun a dungeon and you end up killing only 2 of the thing you need and have to requeue just to kill one mob.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Goddamn the HW story got really good after ARF and I'm super bummed I won't be able to play much this weekend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In some weird ways, I think you can draw parallels between how magic works in FFXIV and how it works in Dark Sun.

You have to get magic from somewhere, and in both settings, it seems you (generally) have three options: draw from your own body (dangerous), draw from the land around you (also dangerous, but for different reasons), or commune with elementals. Technically FFXIV also has crystallized aether, but we generally see that used to summon primals, not cast spells.

Most spellcasters in FFXIV are technically defilers in Dark Sun, in that they draw their power from the world around them. The difference is that they do so in moderation, unlike primals. When the sorcerers of Mhach and Amdapor drew too much, they caused a calamity, and the practice of red magic (essentially Dark Sun preservers) grew out of a group of those sorcerers who vowed to stop drawing aether from the land to power their spells. And Conjurers cooperate with elementals to use their magic, rather than outright consuming aether or using their own bodies' aether, which is what Clerics do in Dark Sun (or Druids, in Dark Sun 4th edition).

It's a much "softer" take on it than in Dark Sun, though. Dark Sun's preservers draw magic from their own bodies and it's explicitly very difficult (in classic Dark Sun, they require much more experience to level up than defilers do) and painful. Red Mages have a nice little aetheric accelerator to get around both issues. And defilers unavoidably drain the life from the world, or even the people, around them when they cast their spells, while the spellcasters in FFXIV who draw aether from the land do so in moderation so as not to cause any actual damage.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tank bonus for LDR is disappointing - my tank is only 38, and that's what I've been using ldr for lately. Wish they added it to EXDR as well, since Ive stopped bothering to do that since the 30 minute queue doesn't feel worth it now that I have full 310 left side.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Tank bonus for LDR is disappointing - my tank is only 38, and that's what I've been using ldr for lately. Wish they added it to EXDR as well, since Ive stopped bothering to do that since the 30 minute queue doesn't feel worth it now that I have full 310 left side.

They're definitely going to need to add some better rewards to EXDR if it's going to remain usable in the long term. Once you've gotten your daily there's no reason to do it, so woe be to any DPS who wants to do their daily EXDR and didn't log on right when the roulettes reset. Some reason for tanks and healers to run it repeatedly would probably help DPS queue times a bit.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

well, directly queueing for a dungon as dps is now less than 5 min wait so that incentive seemed to work for now

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

They're definitely going to need to add some better rewards to EXDR if it's going to remain usable in the long term. Once you've gotten your daily there's no reason to do it, so woe be to any DPS who wants to do their daily EXDR and didn't log on right when the roulettes reset. Some reason for tanks and healers to run it repeatedly would probably help DPS queue times a bit.

yup, if they added this bonus to exdr id consider doing it. Right now I have no reason as I am ilv316 and don't need verity. It will get even worse when I have all my capped tomestones for the week by mid-week. I assume other decent tanks will be in the same boat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

queeb posted:

well, directly queueing for a dungon as dps is now less than 5 min wait so that incentive seemed to work for now

soon there will be adventurer in need for DPS... :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it true that, if it's your first time running a dungeon that's required for the MSQ, they put you at the front of the queue? Because that would explain my instant Bardam's Mettle queue as DPS last night.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol no

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huh, someone said that in FC chat a while ago.

Guess I just got extremely lucky, then. I'm pretty sure my queue time was like 15-30 seconds total.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Re: Conjurer class quests

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Harrow posted:

Guess I just got extremely lucky, then. I'm pretty sure my queue time was like 15-30 seconds total.

They keep giving better bonuses for LDR queuing as a class in need which is probably fixing the usual DPS wait times

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also the healing Novice Trial explicitly tells you to DPS if nobody is in need of healing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Use your words please.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeR6t29JR5I

:allears:

Partydad best dad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Intoluene posted:

ACN 1-30 is about spergy cats and beating up a pirate slaver.

Right, the missing mentor. Jeez, how many class quests have a missing mentor? All of them?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ignimbrite posted:

Partydad best dad.

matsuri dearu

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Nah, a bunch of them have 'rear end in a top hat rival you have to beat up and/or murder'.

In the case of the Marauder the rival is a giant murder-cow.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
The Rogues were interesting enough, some lore and a nice storyline that was only held back by whatever absurd jargon they insisted on using the entire way through.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

SonicRulez posted:

Right, the missing mentor. Jeez, how many class quests have a missing mentor? All of them?

Marauder doesn't have a missing mentor. In fact the mentor dresses up in armor to fight you and afterwards your helper tells you not to mention how terrible the disguise is when you go back for the turn-in.

I still appreciate Solkwyb as an NPC helper solely because you have to repeatedly pick her up from the restaurant.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

Instant dps queues were the best part of the early access weekend (for those of us who got past Raubahn on Friday anyway). I wouldn't mind seeing them spring up again due to Cluster Fever.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I got the minion warhammer 40k guy last night so basically I won this stupid game and am free to play something else now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

I got the minion warhammer 40k guy last night so basically I won this stupid game and am free to play something else now.

what minion now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what minion now?

Doma Castle has a minion of the boss fight as a rare drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

The incentive to do exdr is going to be the new, capped at 450 per week, tomestone they introduce when omega savage drops.