Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not out of nowhere, because he's a nobleman and all nobility is evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It's not out of nowhere, because he's a nobleman and all nobility is evil.

Except for our hero, her sister, and their parents.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're still young.

Frozen 2 will be all about Elsa and Anna's genocidal campaign in the neighboring kingdom.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Think of it like an aggressive Russian winter.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Inzombiac posted:

And that's why the script is so tonally inconsistent.
Call be a curmudgeon but Frozen is the one super popular movie I hate.

We saw Frozen and Tangled at about the same time.
Tangled had a much better and far more consistent plot, but Let It Go is an amazing song (the first 350 times).

Frozen seems like two or three different movies edited together and completely unsure who is the protagonist and who is the antagonist. Are the trolls good or bad? Are Elsa's parents the bad guys? Who the hell is Kristoff; why is he even in this movie? Why is the moose a dog? I don't even remember the "villains" name because it was so WTF. Elsa created life, literally life; that's a bigger deal than making ice but nobody seems to notice.

But that song. Man, that's a good song.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Thankfully we have Moana now, which has like 7 good songs AND a well done plot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Human beings create life all the time.

Ice only rarely. Unless you have a freezer I guess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Indeed all villains should be obvious and mustache-twirling and a heel turn should always be telegraphed from the first moment.

NOT!

The villain turn was the rebuttal of the Love at First Sight trope and the kiss was the rebuttal of the True Love is Romantic Love trope

It was fine. The trolls are also fine in-and-of themselves and add a bit of local flavor but are completely unnecessary to the plot other than to serve as a source of magical exposition.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Bloop posted:

The villain turn was the rebuttal of the Love at First Sight trope and the kiss was the rebuttal of the True Love is Romantic Love trope

:getout: :tvtropes:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Since Arrested Development has already been mentioned in this thread despite not being a movie -- but it's such a perfect candidate for the thread -- I feel compelled to mention my favorite subtle gag. Several times, the characters have Sunday breakfast at a restaurant called Skip Church's. (Because they're literally skipping church to eat there.) But there's also a brief mention of another restaurant that's popular on Friday nights: Miss Temple's.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yes, that is what the movie is saying.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sir Lemming posted:

Since Arrested Development has already been mentioned in this thread despite not being a movie -- but it's such a perfect candidate for the thread -- I feel compelled to mention my favorite subtle gag. Several times, the characters have Sunday breakfast at a restaurant called Skip Church's. (Because they're literally skipping church to eat there.) But there's also a brief mention of another restaurant that's popular on Friday nights: Miss Temple's.

Goddamn. I've seen the whole series four times now and I completely missed that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Inzombiac posted:

Goddamn. I've seen the whole series four times now and I completely missed that.
Yeah that's really funny and it went right by me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In the movie gladiator Oliver reed's character threatens a trader who sold him "queer giraffes". The next scene at Reed's compound, you can see the two giraffes wandering in the background.

This one for the movie fury isn't that subtle but as far as accuracy is concerned it's great. Lots of people whined about how it looked like the machine guns in the movie were firing lasers instead of bullets. Except that the film is actually using tracers, mentions tracers to help guide shots, and actually uses the machine guns proper rate of fire. An mg-34 or a browning fire loving fast.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jul 6, 2017

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There was supposed to be a scene in gladiator with billboards popping up all over rome of maximus endorsing a certain brand of olive oil. It was taken out because it was too unrealistic.

It was actually one of the few things in that movie based on solid historical evidence.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RandomFerret posted:

There was supposed to be a scene in gladiator with billboards popping up all over rome of maximus endorsing a certain brand of olive oil. It was taken out because it was too unrealistic.

It was actually one of the few things in that movie based on solid historical evidence.

The plot makes little sense compared to reality, but a lot of the little details in Gladiator are really good. Then again, you could just watch HBO's Rome as well, which is terrific.

EDIT: talking about movies set in antiquity reminded me of Lindybeige's hilarious takedown of the DVD movie Helen of Troy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msHGBwizL8s

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Jul 6, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

But that song. Man, that's a good song.

poo poo, who doesn't want to build a snowman.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In Wayne's World, Dana Carvey didn't actually know the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody, so when they are singing along in the car, you can see that he's mumbling his lines to make it appear like he actually knows the song. Given what Garth's character is like, it's entirely in character for him. Also, he did the insane drum solo completely raw in one take.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

RandomFerret posted:

Gladiator is overrated, but I really wish we got the sequel Nick Cave wrote where Gladiator (his name is only written as Gladiator in the script) becomes an immortal warrior fighting in all of the wars and conflicts throughout human history.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Baron von Eevl posted:

Gladiator is overrated, but I really wish we got the sequel Nick Cave wrote where Gladiator (his name is only written as Gladiator in the script) becomes an immortal warrior fighting in all of the wars and conflicts throughout human history.

SPOILERS FOR GLADIATOR 2: GLADIATORER BELOW HOLY poo poo!!

The script for this is online, pretty bizarre. Persecution of christianity is a theme throughout. It's weird because like, at the beginning of it, maximus is resurrected by like, the roman gods. He encounters a bunch of christians who are persecuted for their beliefs. He fights for them or whatever but like, it sure seemed to me like he could have saved them a whole mess of trouble if he was just like "uhh actually guys you're wrong, the roman gods are the real ones, I met them last week".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I loved the part in frozen where the evil villain dude just straight up out colds Elsa with the loving cold as ice burn on Anna. In the theater there were audible gaps and at least two dudes going "what the gently caress?".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

In Wayne's World, Dana Carvey didn't actually know the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody, so when they are singing along in the car, you can see that he's mumbling his lines to make it appear like he actually knows the song. Given what Garth's character is like, it's entirely in character for him. Also, he did the insane drum solo completely raw in one take.

This is a great subtle movie moment!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I loved the part in frozen where the evil villain dude just straight up out colds Elsa with the loving cold as ice burn on Anna. In the theater there were audible gaps and at least two dudes going "what the gently caress?".

It's really dumb, and definitely shouldn't be in this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really don't know if you're serious or not.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really don't know if you're serious or not.

I am, that Wayne's World thing was something I didn't know, and I generally seek stuff like this out!

:thumbsup:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

And that's why the script is so tonally inconsistent.
Call be a curmudgeon but Frozen is the one super popular movie I hate.

Lots of people hate Frozen. They're called parents.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Hans heel turn in frozen is loving great.

Here's a subtle Frozen moment: a character tries to shoot Elsa with a crossbow. Hans shoves the crossbow up at the last moment, causing the bolt to hit an ice chandelier... Which almost crushes Elsa. He was trying to kill her and still look like the hero.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Not a movie but shot as good as one. I've seen Breaking Bad a bunch of times and never noticed that Jesse's pipe has tits.

RJWaters2 has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Jul 7, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, today I watched Legends of the Fall for the first time, because I like the director Edward Zwick's other films like Glory or Blood Diamond quite a bit. First of all, this would have been a good movie if it had been a half hour shorter and not been completely butchered in editing. Seriously this movie is supposed to be about the tragic life of Brad Pitt's character, but to me it was more like the story of three colossal rear end in a top hat brothers who systematically destroyed one woman's life. Just a mess of a film with possibly the most overbearing soundtrack I've ever heard, courtesy of James "I recycle all my music for every movie" Horner.

Despite that, when it comes to fine details and production quality, the film is well crafted. So for subtlety: when the Ludlow brothers enlist to fight in the Great War, they go to Canada, and join the CEF. When they're in France, you can see that they are wearing the Canadian 10th Battalion service patches. To emphasize this point, a runner comes in and is speaking with a distinct Quebec accent. Since the film's war sequences are in 1915, this would be the 2nd Battle of Ypres, which is where the Canadians first gained distinction for holding the line during a massive gas attack. None of this is stated in the film, but knowing the history of the event, it was surprising that they got the details so accurate. That being said, two German machine gunners lining up to execute one man trapped on barbed wire was a little stupid and excessive. You have a rifle, just shoot him.

Oh, and Brad Pitt scalps Germans a good 15 years before Inglourious Basterds came out. Just a mess of a film.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Jul 7, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WampaLord posted:

Also the ending twist where it turns out if she's happy she can reverse the power is really jarring to me. You mean she wasn't happy before? She seemed pretty happy when singing Let it Go.

She couldn't reverse the power because she never tried before. Did you miss where she's spent her entire life trying not to use her powers in case she fucks everything up again?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Memento posted:

She couldn't reverse the power because she never tried before. Did you miss where she's spent her entire life trying not to use her powers in case she fucks everything up again?

In the Let it Go song, what is she doing, doofus?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WampaLord posted:

In the Let it Go song, what is she doing, doofus?

Letting go of her worries so she can use her powers.

She still has never used them to reverse anything she's done. She doesn't think she can, because she's never had the chance to use them. These things take time.

Also, namecalling helps you win arguments on the internet, I heard.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Arcsquad12 posted:

This one for the movie fury isn't that subtle but as far as accuracy is concerned it's great. Lots of people whined about how it looked like the machine guns in the movie were firing lasers instead of bullets. Except that the film is actually using tracers, mentions tracers to help guide shots, and actually uses the machine guns proper rate of fire. An mg-34 or a browning fire loving fast.

Hahaha that really threw me for a loop when I saw it. I knew tracer rounds are real things, but I've only ever seen them as white before. Someone on here told me it's what inspired the space battles in Star Wars too, the old WW2 planes using red and green tracer rounds. No idea if that's true or not, like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's true, but it wasn't WW2 or even planes. It's supposedly based on tanks during the Cold War mostly.

NATO's standard tracer color is red. The Soviets and China use/d green. So in Vietnam and Korea it was red vs. green tracers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RandomFerret posted:

My favorite historical fact about gladiators is that vendors would make little clay or stone action figures of the more popular gladiators, complete with accessories based on their favored weapons.

My favorite Ancient Rome fact is that their graffiti is more or less exactly the same content as here, including people literally just writing "im gay".

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 14:04 on Jul 7, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

I love humanity so much. I dream of various futures. Either scavengers trying to eke out a living on a dry and dying husk or advanced jetsons cyberpunks with computers for brains. No matter how we end up, people will still go around scrawling spunking knobs on walls and I think that's just brilliant.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Boyfriend of a girl I used to know was an electrical engineer working on satellites.

There are a lot of crudely soldered dongs floating around in space.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jeherrin posted:

Boyfriend of a girl I used to know was an electrical engineer working on satellites.

There's a transcript from one of the Apollo missions detailing how they let a turd float around the cabin for a bit.

Humanity: making GBS threads Up Space

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

Just like your mom! (Shes fat and as big as space and also full of dicks)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a transcript from one of the Apollo missions detailing how they let a turd float around the cabin for a bit.

Humanity: making GBS threads Up Space

quote:

Oh — Who did it?” Tom Stafford asks at one point. Confused, Young and Cernan reply, “Who did what?”

Cernan: “Where did that come from?”
Stafford: “Get me a napkin quick. There’s a turd floating through the air.”
Young: “I didn’t do it. It ain’t one of mine.”
Cernan: “I don’t think it’s one of mine.”
Stafford: “Mine was a little more sticky than that. Throw that away.”
Young: “God Almighty”
(laughter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Biplane posted:

Just like your mom! (Shes fat and as big as space and also full of dicks)

idgi