Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Noper Q posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know how the new Brutality support works with conversion skills? Does the conversion still happen and then get removed by Brutality, effectively halving your damage? Or does Brutality prevent the conversion, so you do full damage, entirely physical?

Your post made me curious so I tested it on my Hierophant. Unfortunately, it's the first one. Conversion happens no matter what, and then Brutality turns any elemental or chaos damage into a big fat zero, so any skill with built-in conversion would only suffer from Brutality and never benefit.

GC + Spell Totem + conc effect:

GC + Spell Totem + conc effect + Brutality:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Cory in the Blouse posted:

I feel like everything you want to do with Glacial Cascade could just be done with EK (nova or otherwise)

Sure, but EK isn't as flashy as GC, and I've never used the latter. I'm not expecting to take this to end-game, so I'm not concerned with optimization; I get bored too quickly regardless.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Your post made me curious so I tested it on my Hierophant. Unfortunately, it's the first one. Conversion happens no matter what, and then Brutality turns any elemental or chaos damage into a big fat zero, so any skill with built-in conversion would only suffer from Brutality and never benefit.

Sad, but not unexpected. Thanks regardless!

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
With any luck all their efforts at tuning the skills and content will bear healthy fruit and it won't matter too much what you choose so long as you build it right.

How likely that is to happen...:shrug:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GC used to be a pretty strong single target skill, with acceptable but underwhelming aoe even with a great deal of investment. But I used it to kill atziri on a life shadow the second league she was out - the fact that a single cast can hit a single monster multiple times makes it great for boss killing if you can scale sufficiently. The conversion change means it's way easier to scale.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Probably going to go with the elementral spectral throw raider I am using in beta right now. Enjoying it. Seems to kill well, and I like the raider speed. Even five linked a belly tonight, and divine orbed it to have 40% health. Never going to take that off.

Only have the anvarius on while I am speeding through low level maps.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What links on the chest? Spectral throw-GMP-WED, but what else? Crit chance and Immolate? Added Lightning?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

pork never goes bad posted:

GC used to be a pretty strong single target skill, with acceptable but underwhelming aoe even with a great deal of investment. But I used it to kill atziri on a life shadow the second league she was out - the fact that a single cast can hit a single monster multiple times makes it great for boss killing if you can scale sufficiently. The conversion change means it's way easier to scale.

yeah, i'm playing GC now nad i need to get frostbolt on a 4l or osmething because the clearspeed is extremely mediocre

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

What links on the chest? Spectral throw-GMP-WED, but what else? Crit chance and Immolate? Added Lightning?
The three you said, along with added lightning and lightning penetration. Using wrath and herald of ice auras. Lightning golem. Just socketed vaal haste, vaal grace, extended duration in the shield.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

So what are folks thinking they're going to start 3.0 with in light of the changes to everything under the sun?

I wanted to play a simple crit EK build but apparently it got a threshold gem while I wasn't following the game and is very popular now? Probably still going to run that, or some flavor of cyclone.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

zxqv8 posted:

So what are folks thinking they're going to start 3.0 with in light of the changes to everything under the sun?

I'm curious what other people are thinking of going too.

If the new ruthless blow gem stays the same, might go a SRS necromancer, or a high life righteous fire even after the nerfs still looks to have a ton of synergies from the pantheon and gems.
With what looks like big pierce nerfs any skill that didn't need piercing to penetrate crowds is going to be good like spectral throw.

How viable is siege ballista with the iron commander bow these days or in 3.0? I played one waaay back and it was pretty strong even unoptimized with deadeye instead of inquis or something else.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I'm gonna try RF, finally.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I've read through all the blog posts a few times and still aren't sure how the new DoT mechanics work with modifiers. I'm fine with the fact that the dot damage is independent from the hit damage now, but which of the increased projectile/area/fire/minion/phys/ele/"damage" modifiers change its damage?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Specific DoT type (i.e "Bleeding")
Generic damage type ("Fire" for Burning damage)
Generic DoT (Entropy node)
Generic damage (Redbeak's "100% Increased Damage when on Low Life")

That's it.

Lowering enemy resistances still affects things as well.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 7, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I still think the nerfs are not done yet, something has to be done to Pathfinder and Zerker

but otherwise yeah im Pathfinder EK or Zerker BV

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I've never done Righteous Fire so probably that, nerfs be damned. Or maybe some sort of Blade Vortex, same sentiment.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Life based RF is overall buffed I think. The base damage was lowered of course but i has new and improved gems. Life totals have been increased as well. Just may not get away with using a 4 link with it anymore (someone would need to run the numbers with a Koam's Heart vs high life rare and more links). LL-RF was nerfed of course with the CI changes and probably RF-Totems too (totems already used a 6 link right?)

If I finally get time I want to try a Soul Mantel RF totem build and see how it goes.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 7, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Magus42 posted:

I'm gonna try RF, finally.

this for me too unless something drastic happens

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Well I guess I'm going to be a goon and go RF as well. (Was planning on it a while ago)

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I tried RF totems in the beta and it still seems very strong. I'll probably do that as a league starter since it needs 0 investment.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

lamentable dustman posted:

Life based RF is overall buffed I think. The base damage was lowered of course but i has new and improved gems. Life totals have been increased as well. Just may not get away with using a 4 link with it anymore (someone would need to run the numbers with a Koam's Heart vs high life rare and more links). LL-RF was nerfed of course with the CI changes and probably RF-Totems too (totems already used a 6 link right?)

If I finally get time I want to try a Soul Mantel RF totem build and see how it goes.

I feel like if you use a essence crafted 30% more damage glove or hat enchant as a pseudo gem the 500 life and 40% fire damage on a Kaom would make up for the lack of a 6th gem while also being cheaper then 6 linking.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Life based RF is overall buffed I think. The base damage was lowered of course but i has new and improved gems. Life totals have been increased as well. Just may not get away with using a 4 link with it anymore .
What did they add to make 4-link not enough? I thought the new supports didn't work with rf because practically nothing works with rf

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

What did they add to make 4-link not enough? I thought the new supports didn't work with rf because practically nothing works with rf

They are adding efficacy support gem which will be a 44% more increase and increased burning will be changed from a wimpy damage increase to a huge more damage increase, which brings righteous fire up to a full usable 6 gems

Righteous fire / Controlled destruction 44% more / Elemental focus 44% more / Efficacy 44% more / Increased burning whatever % it is being changed to / free spot for concentrated/increased AOE.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Righteous fire / Controlled destruction 44% more / Elemental focus 44% more / Efficacy 44% more / Increased burning whatever % it is being changed to / free spot for concentrated/increased AOE.
I don't think controlled destruction ("spell damage") or efficacy ("duration") work with rf.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't think controlled destruction ("spell damage") or efficacy ("duration") work with rf.

Correct, both of those do not work for self cast RF. Efficacy will work with RF totems though because the totem has a duration tag.

No clue what I plan on doing for 3.0 so far. Ive done shrapnel shot and SRS in the beta and both of them have been fine. Did RF totems with Soul Mantle + 2x Kikazaru in the mayhem race which went a lot smoother than I was expecting considering all the mobs and stuff in the race. Saw an interesting frostbolt mines build in the mayhem race I might try in the mean time.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Never done ele buzzsaw but will try that or rf totems

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

I'm playing soul mantle RF totems in the current build of beta and it's incredibly strong and easy to start with. Overall RF totems with soul mantle is still buffed, because of how incredibly strong they made Burning Damage compared to how it was.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Did they change Hrimburn in the beta? How would it even work anyway now with ailment damage decoupled?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Cold damage ignites for a portion of the cold damage dealt while wearing the gloves, I don't see how it would be different from a regular fire hit.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

theshim posted:

Did they change Hrimburn in the beta? How would it even work anyway now with ailment damage decoupled?

I don't see it being significantly different. Ignite damage will be based on the base cold+fire damage dealt (rather than just fire), and then the ignite will be affected by modifiers as normal (fire, ignite, DoT, and generic). I don't see why that wouldn't work. Am I missing something?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm obsessed with trying to find out if Bleed KB dual-wield Gladiator is good (I suspect that it's not).

When the league's a bit more mature I want to try a poison Jorrhast's if it's available.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Has anyone gotten a fated prophecy? I've been burning through all my silver coins trying to get the Doomfletch Prism prophecy but nothing's popped up, not even on poetrade.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

Has anyone gotten a fated prophecy? I've been burning through all my silver coins trying to get the Doomfletch Prism prophecy but nothing's popped up, not even on poetrade.

I haven't gotten one either and have also seen bupkus on poetrade. I'd really like to upgrade my Blackgleam and Doomfletch too.

Digging on the official forums:

"Hartlin_GGG posted:

So, I've looked into this. Fated Prophecies are very much a work in progress right now. The levels that they're available at are quite low currently. This is absolutely not final. There will be changes coming to the availability of Fated Prophecies.

Just so it's abundantly clear, changes will be coming :)

Thanks for the reports guys!

That was almost a month ago though :(

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 7, 2017

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

whypick1 posted:

I haven't gotten one either and have also seen bupkus on poetrade. I'd really like to upgrade my Blackgleam and Doomfletch too.

Digging on the official forums:

So you actually want to use your coins at low levels?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Welp that's one way to find out a righteous fire character I was doing a few leagues ago was actually using a 3 gem setup instead of 4 gems, controlled destruction showed up in the tooltip gems and the only other way to figure out myself if it was doing anything would be to see if I could notice health bars moving slightly differently after removing it with monsters dying in 0.2 seconds instead of 0.3.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

whypick1 posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1919296

In the Beta report above, they state that prophecy and divination changes are coming in wave 4 of the beta. Which they're aiming to release in 2 weeks or so.

gonadic io posted:

I'm obsessed with trying to find out if Bleed KB dual-wield Gladiator is good (I suspect that it's not).

Okay, I can't think of anything other than Kinetic Blast with the acronym KB, and you're never going to get halfway decent bleeds with KB. Bleeds don't stack, so you need one massive hit for a bleed to do real damage. KB is hundreds of tiny hits.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Katasi posted:

Okay, I can't think of anything other than Kinetic Blast with the acronym KB, and you're never going to get halfway decent bleeds with KB. Bleeds don't stack, so you need one massive hit for a bleed to do real damage. KB is hundreds of tiny hits.

Knockback?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Katasi posted:

In the Beta report above, they state that prophecy and divination changes are coming in wave 4 of the beta. Which they're aiming to release in 2 weeks or so.

Ah, missed that. Would explain why through Act 7 I've only gotten 2 Gemcutter cards from boxes.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Katasi posted:

According to the wiki Kinetic Blast does up to 150% of base attack damage which is more than puncture and frenzy.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Vigilant Strike is your single target bleeder.

Highest base damage of any single melee attack, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Since fated weapons are a bust until Wave 4, does anybody know how Blight is handled now? I've never done Blight before.

gonadic io posted:

According to the wiki Kinetic Blast does up to 150% of base attack damage which is more than puncture and frenzy.

KB is awful for bleeds. You do not want to use it. That 150% is broken up.

• Locked thread