Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

I got the minion warhammer 40k guy last night so basically I won this stupid game and am free to play something else now.

I figured it was more like doomguy. RIP AND TEAR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

She just likes to read the articles.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

FillInTheBlank posted:

She just likes to read the articles.

you don't mess with someone else's douj

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The moral of the 1-30 CNJ questline is that Gridania is terrible, the Elementals are shady as gently caress, and we should burn the entire Black Shroud to the ground.

Velthice posted:

The incentive to do exdr is going to be the new, capped at 450 per week, tomestone they introduce when omega savage drops.

That still doesn't solve the "people hit the button once a day" problem the guy brought up though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
What if you only got your EXDR roulette bonus if you rolled for it against 7 other people

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

The moral of the 1-30 CNJ questline is that Gridania is terrible, the Elementals are shady as gently caress, and we should burn the entire Black Shroud to the ground.

whm 60-70 made me think maybe garleans aren't wrong after all

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

That still doesn't solve the "people hit the button once a day" problem the guy brought up though.

I mean is there really a problem with doing roulettes once a day? There's so much other content in the game to explore. I've always treated expert roulette as a button I push once a day since it was introduced and don't see the issue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

I mean is there really a problem with doing roulettes once a day? There's so much other content in the game to explore. I've always treated expert roulette as a button I push once a day since it was introduced and don't see the issue.

The issue is that there are a limited number of healers and tanks compared to DPS and the fewer of them that are running content the longer the queue lines are.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is that there are a limited number of healers and tanks compared to DPS and the fewer of them that are running content the longer the queue lines are.

My experience that is over the lifetime of an expansion DPS queue times tend to go down, so that problem largely sorts itself out. It's already been happening in Stormblood for me at least, DPS queue times are no longer 40+ minutes for expert and have been closer to 20ish for the past week or so. Is this not the general experience for others?

They could probably make them shorter by adding additional incentives, I suppose.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 7, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

They could probably make them shorter by adding additional incentives, I suppose.

That's the exact argument, seeing as they're adding incentives to bring down ldr times.

30-40 minute queues suck when you want to get all your roulettes done in the evening after work. I stopped bothering with EXDR since I'm not desperate for verity anymore and I'm using the other roulettes as tank or heal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

My experience that is over the lifetime of an expansion DPS queue times tend to go down, so that problem largely sorts itself out. It's already been happening in Stormblood for me at least, DPS queue times are no longer 40+ minutes for expert and have been closer to 20ish for the past week or so. Is this not the general experience for others?

That is what they're doing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

That's exactly what we're talking about with EXDR: adding more incentives for tanks and healers to do EXDR more than once per day so that DPS queues are shorter.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rainuwastaken posted:

I mean, i haven't logged in since the patch but the cracked cluster is once a day isn't it? Lmao if not. Assuming so (though I could honestly be wrong here until I get home to see for myself) hitting the button once a day is as good as you're going to get unless they straight up just make the daily bonus, well, not daily.

Anyway the problem now is that people aren't bothering to hit the button at all, which as I said should be fixed when the new tombstone drops and has people running it for months on end just to gear one or two jobs.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I just thought Expert Roulette was already rewarding enough--the main thing we're seeing right now is the primary incentive to run it isn't in and a lot of the people who want verity have enough of it at this point, but hey, I guess a little extra probably wouldn't hurt much? :shrug: It'll also help when the new class smell wears off on RDM/SAM, which seems to be starting to happen.

I thought leveling would be a bit different because the primary reward (or at least what I use it for) is the EXP for lower-level classes, which will eventually run out (usually, long before you run out of things to spend endgame tomes on). That's probably why they've currently got it on leveling but not expert. I wouldn't object to another source of grade VI material though, I'm not a huge fan of hunts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

Right, the missing mentor. Jeez, how many class quests have a missing mentor? All of them?

It's been a while but iirc the Lancer questline was about some jerkoff from outside the guild trying to teach you how to Lance the wrong way and getting owned and you had to bail him out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

I just thought Expert Roulette was already rewarding enough--the main thing we're seeing right now is the primary incentive to run it isn't in and a lot of the people who want verity have enough of it at this point, but hey, I guess a little extra probably wouldn't hurt much? :shrug: It'll also help when the new class smell wears off on RDM/SAM, which seems to be starting to happen.

The problem is the "more than once per day" thing. There are significantly fewer healers and tanks than DPS. Once most of the healers and tanks in the pool have run their EXDR for the day, any DPS who didn't get into those is going to have a much longer queue time. What we're talking about is a need to incentivize healers and tanks to queue for EXDR after they got their daily tomes, so that DPS queues are shorter all the time.

If we had a perfect ratio of tank players + healer players = DPS players, it might be a different story, but instead it's tank players + healer players < DPS players, and that causes a big queue imbalance. Giving those tank and healer players an incentive to queue more than once means that they're going to be there for more DPS players.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
they should add a weekly capped currency to exdr, exchangeable for the best gear. this might make people run it.

"ah, but people will only run it once a day then" you might say

and yes, that IS how duty roulette works...

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

That's exactly what we're talking about with EXDR: adding more incentives for tanks and healers to do EXDR more than once per day so that DPS queues are shorter.

There's already incentive for queueing the 70 dungeons though. Materia V and VI are trash mob drops. You can then take all the crappy Vs and turn them in to a few VIs. You can also try and turn your crappy VIs in to Gathering and Crafting VIs to sell. They also added the new mount to the story level 70 dungeon and the others have sellable minions.

If people are going bonkers over a single cluster for Leveling while demanding more for Expert, I'm at a loss of what to say. Maybe optics are the issue, and people aren't realizing how good the expert dungeons are for materia alone, since it's entirely passive with no notice?

Skaw fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 7, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

The problem is the "more than once per day" thing. There are significantly fewer healers and tanks than DPS. Once most of the healers and tanks in the pool have run their EXDR for the day, any DPS who didn't get into those is going to have a much longer queue time. What we're talking about is a need to incentivize healers and tanks to queue for EXDR after they got their daily tomes, so that DPS queues are shorter all the time.

If we had a perfect ratio of tank players + healer players = DPS players, it might be a different story, but instead it's tank players + healer players < DPS players, and that causes a big queue imbalance. Giving those tank and healer players an incentive to queue more than once means that they're going to be there for more DPS players.

I am aware of what's being suggested, I just didn't see it as a problem that needed to be solved.

Others apparently do. I suppose I've just gotten used to it being the way it is after all this time. And I do agree that right now the game could use more ways to inject Grade VI material into the market.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
WoW gave bags of swag to try and incentivize tanks and healers queuing and it still didn't really make a difference. The plight of dps queues is eternal, absolute, one of the supreme laws of the universe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Velthice posted:

WoW gave bags of swag to try and incentivize tanks and healers queuing and it still didn't really make a difference. The plight of dps queues is eternal, absolute, one of the supreme laws of the universe.

I think a lot of it has to do with how dps tends to be the best solo spec, and is widely seen as having the least responsibility.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

what if they added a third dps to 4 man parties and made them 5 man parties. and then also, they removed the tank and the healer and made them 5 man parties of only dps. then, since we no longer need to balance tanks and healers with the dps, we can add 3 more dps, then multiply that by 3 and have 24 dps on a large team. we can call it frontlines, and banish all dps there to wither and rot, solving the problem forever.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Thinking back, I remember being disappointed the arcanist quests stop at 30 because cat sempai reaching me about strategy was fun.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Velthice posted:

I mean, i haven't logged in since the patch but the cracked cluster is once a day isn't it? Lmao if not. Assuming so (though I could honestly be wrong here until I get home to see for myself) hitting the button once a day is as good as you're going to get unless they straight up just make the daily bonus, well, not daily.

Anyway the problem now is that people aren't bothering to hit the button at all, which as I said should be fixed when the new tombstone drops and has people running it for months on end just to gear one or two jobs.

Considering you can get the previous Adventurer in Need bonuses every single time you ran the roulette, I'm guessing the cracked clusters will be flowing like water too. The main issue here is that they're only from Leveling Roulette; Expert dungeons don't have any extra incentive, and that's where the huge queues are.

Skaw posted:

If people are going bonkers over a single cluster for Leveling while demanding more for Expert, I'm at a loss of what to say. Maybe optics are the issue, and people aren't realizing how good the expert dungeons are for materia alone, since it's entirely passive with no notice?

The nice thing about the cluster is that you get to choose exactly what you want to get with it. The last couple runs of 70 dungeons I've done (40 minute queue times on DPS woooo) have given me nothing but an ever-growing ocean of Dexterity, Mind, and other useless garbage T6 materia. It's pure coincidence that I'm leveling tank right now, but the cluster from leveling roulette is a very welcome thing.

Plus, the rates at which you convert 5's to 6's are horseshit. Something like 20% I think I read? 25 T5's for a completely random T6 is not a great exchange rate.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Are people really surprised that there are significantly more dps players than tank and healer players put together? Like, have you guys played mmos before?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Do I have to solo q for this adventure in need bonus to work in LLDR? Or can I go in with a few people?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
With only 300 tank runs of exdr you can get a mount though. Get cracking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Do I have to solo q for this adventure in need bonus to work in LLDR? Or can I go in with a few people?

You have to solo, it says so on the queue screen. Going in as a party disables Adventurer In Need bonuses.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You have to solo, it says so on the queue screen. Going in as a party disables Adventurer In Need bonuses.

The cracked cluster is immune to that particular caveat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

I am aware of what's being suggested, I just didn't see it as a problem that needed to be solved.

It would be less of a problem if there was a wider range of activities you could do in-game while queued for a roulette. As it is, you're limited to activities that don't put you in an instance. So you could level gathering or crafting, if you find that interesting, but that doesn't help much if you think those activities are boring. If you have side quests left over you can use them to level another job, but those are finite and then it's basically just leveling another job with leves (because you can't PvP or do PotD while queued), and hoo boy does that get repetitive.

I mean, I know what the response is to that: "Join an FC." Yeah. That actually will help you a lot. I'm real glad for the goon FCs because it means there's a pretty decent chance of putting a group together and not needing to screw with the DF queue at all. But even though I don't understand wanting to play without joining an FC, I'm sympathetic to those players, and I don't really want to say "there's no problem, just join an FC" to them when I think there are other, better solutions.

Minrad posted:

what if they added a third dps to 4 man parties and made them 5 man parties.

I don't know why you're posting this like it's completely absurd, because I can't imagine how that wouldn't result in shorter DPS queue times. Unless there's some psychological effect I'm unaware of where it pushes more people to play DPS and everything ends up out of balance anyway? I don't know.

I mean, obviously it is far, far too late for that to happen and I would never advocate completely restructuring the party sizes in FFXIV at this point. So I suppose it's absurd in that it won't ever happen. But if they'd gone with heal/tank/3 DPS from the start? I don't know, maybe that would've made a slight difference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kojei posted:

The cracked cluster is immune to that particular caveat.

Really? Huh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Velthice posted:

Are people really surprised that there are significantly more dps players than tank and healer players put together? Like, have you guys played mmos before?

Where do you see people being surprised? No one is bamboozled over why queue times are long, they're offering what they see as potential solutions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Velthice posted:

Something can be annoying without being surprising

I've been bitten by mosquitoes, however the consequences are entirely predictable and are of no concern to me

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Really? Huh.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure "joining as a party" in this case refers to "a complete party". 1-3 players will still trigger adventurer in need, 4 will not.

(Or 1-7 for trials will, 8 will not)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Velthice posted:

Nobody's really surprised by that. For my part, I just think that, while it's not a problem that's ever going to truly disappear, its effects can be mitigated and it's worth at least trying to do that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

what if they let dps players play tanks (with str accessories, so they feel at home) or healers (who cast dps spells instead of being honest) so they can both dps and get instant queues

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh good, the "maybe don't play a job you find fun and instead play a different job :smug:" solution.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

the funnest part of dps to me is spending 25 minutes posting about how long my queues are

it gives me a lot of time to work on my shitpost rotations and think about how my queue could be shorter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Rainuwastaken posted:

The nice thing about the cluster is that you get to choose exactly what you want to get with it. The last couple runs of 70 dungeons I've done (40 minute queue times on DPS woooo) have given me nothing but an ever-growing ocean of Dexterity, Mind, and other useless garbage T6 materia. It's pure coincidence that I'm leveling tank right now, but the cluster from leveling roulette is a very welcome thing.

Plus, the rates at which you convert 5's to 6's are horseshit. Something like 20% I think I read? 25 T5's for a completely random T6 is not a great exchange rate.

Grab a Tank or Healer to queue with you. Expert dungeons are going to clear faster than leveling, and that time will continue to decrease. Temples already doable in like 7 pulls if your tank and healer know their stuff. Consider that the trade-off of the clusters guaranteed choice I suppose. Also just because the chance is low doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If you just want to continue collecting useless attribute materia and not do anything with it then :shrug: The shot at Crafting and Gathering materia alone is worth throwing that junk out.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 7, 2017