Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

There's like a 40% chance Matty is just trying super hard to get on Chapo.

hey if he manages to wrinkle up his brain that's cool. maybe even start infecting other vox writers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/883301017059827712

yikes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ex-gingrich staffer sally albright is the best messenger for saying lefties are the Real Racists because she has paid experience saying the exact same thing about democrats

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

u guys ever thinkg harping constantly on irrelevant people like sally albright is a waste of time

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

earnest question, not rhetorical

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

isn't sally albright important by way of being related to madeleine albright

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

u guys ever thinkg harping constantly on irrelevant people like sally albright is a waste of time

It 100% is but it's like a car wreck - I can't look away.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Was Sally Albright one of the people that wrote those "I was a Bernie Bro but now I hate him because he is racist, COME WITH ME TO THE LIGHT" thinkpieces during the primary where if you looked into their history they were a 50-year-old former Bill Clinton staffer and Goldman Sachs banker

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

loquacius posted:

Was Sally Albright one of the people that wrote those "I was a Bernie Bro but now I hate him because he is racist, COME WITH ME TO THE LIGHT" thinkpieces during the primary where if you looked into their history they were a 50-year-old former Bill Clinton staffer and Goldman Sachs banker

It's a common Bernie attacked for shills to claim how they supported Bernie in the primary but had to change the stance once he started racist & sexist behavior.

Of course looking up their job history you always find stuff like working as lobbyist, for a wall street bank or being employed by the bad dem establishment.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Karl Barks posted:

even though she may be individually irrelevant, she is representative of a common reactionary attitude.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

loquacius posted:

i think so, except for her particularly she was a former newt gingrich 2012 staffer

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Karl Barks posted:

posting online is a waste of time, honestly so personally it's all the same to me

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Making mainstream libs seem ridiculous seems like a decent rhetorical strategy

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Nonsense posted:

I wonder how compromised Jill Stein is in reality.

not as much as abuela

jill stein woulda won

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Cynical Bernie going on a masturbatory tour" is the funniest thing to me lol

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

comedyblissoption posted:

people like to pretend that "centrism" is apolitical and status quo, but economically by democratic party standards it is still an accelerationist policy toward enriching the wealthy and leaving the rest in greater misery. it is just a lower acceleration rate than republicans.

you're voting between accelerationism and accelerationism, just at different rates

Republicanism is about seeing a cliff ahead and putting the pedal to the metal. Centrism is about sitting in the passenger seat and complaining that we're speeding.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zoran posted:

Republicanism is about seeing a cliff ahead and putting the pedal to the metal. Centrism is about sitting in the passenger seat and complaining that we're speeding.

Bernie described bad dems such as CC the best, "They don't care if they are on the Titanic as long as they have a first class seat"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

hey if he manages to wrinkle up his brain that's cool. maybe even start infecting other vox writers

Ezra Klein had Avik loving Roy talking about how to improve the AHCA in the Voxcast. He might be too far gone.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

This article about Corbyn offers a lot of lessons for the Democrats. The new media environment birthed by the internet rewards authenticity over carefully stage managed soundbite performances. One interesting side-effect of this change is the chance for specific popular policies to gain a meme-like traction within the electorate:

also drat this an exceptionally good article that is very quotable.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Republicanism is peeking when playing hide and go seek. Centrism is complaining about it. Liberalism is still hiding in the basement after an hour even though the Republicans and Centrists are now playing tag.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I went to a Bernie event when he first announced at a coffee shop that serviced a local university - the crowd was about 95% hippies and 5% old union folks that know how to organize. The union people kept trying to explain stuff and were largely ignored in favor of FEEL THE BERN.

My wife tried to facebank there once because it was listed as a campaign event on the local region Sanders for President facebook group. Turns out it was just a barista who thought "it'd be cool to have that during my shift" and my wife was the only one there.

My point is organization is kinda important and listening to people who know how to do it is also important.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Frijolero posted:

Republicanism is peeking when playing hide and go seek. Centrism is complaining about it. Liberalism is still hiding in the basement after an hour even though the Republicans and Centrists are now playing tag.

Leftism is posting on the internet to make fun of the liberal shut-in.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

I went to a Bernie event when he first announced at a coffee shop that serviced a local university - the crowd was about 95% hippies and 5% old union folks that know how to organize. The union people kept trying to explain stuff and were largely ignored in favor of FEEL THE BERN.

My wife tried to facebank there once because it was listed as a campaign event on the local region Sanders for President facebook group. Turns out it was just a barista who thought "it'd be cool to have that during my shift" and my wife was the only one there.

My point is organization is kinda important and listening to people who know how to do it is also important.

Something that you always fail to comprehend is that shitposting on the internet is instant and doesn't cost time or money and organizing politically is more than a full time job and you need the backing of donors to do it efficiently.

I'm a huge prick

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Something that you always fail to comprehend is that shitposting on the internet is instant and doesn't cost time or money and organizing politically is more than a full time job and you need the backing of donors to do it efficiently.

I'm a huge prick

:wrong:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yea, I guess Hillary's pathetic loss to the Orange piss goblin shows us that donor-backed organizing isn't always effective

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

good posts keep up the good work guys

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Karl Barks posted:

good posts keep up the good work guys

Some repost the Zuck tweet in which he congratulates his team.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RE slacktivism:

Last night I went back to reread some of my posts in D&D from Nov 9-10th, back when every single poster was still convinced that helping poor people was racist rather than just a good 60% of them

and I was reminded of this time when a Clinton volunteer went on a meltdown at me about how it was easy for me to be all Monday-morning-quarterback about politics when I should have been agitating to fix the problems during the election (naturally I should have been doing this by "getting Bernie to push for HRC harder," not by telling her to pay attention to the Midwest or anything)

and it's like, who the gently caress do you think I am

I'm some rear end in a top hat with opinions and no connections, I'm not Jeff loving Weaver. Do you think I have Bernie Sanders' personal number and can call him up whenever I want to say "Berno your bootlicking numbers aren't nearly craven enough! Get those figures higher and that tongue further into those boot treads!" and he'd be like "yes sir Mister SA Forums User Loquacius, I'm licking as hard as I can" and meanwhile Donnie Trump would be all "nooo not bootlicking, my one weakness" and melt away instantly

I'm shitposting because apart from voting, donating, etc that's all I can really do

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

RE slacktivism:

Last night I went back to reread some of my posts in D&D from Nov 9-10th, back when every single poster was still convinced that helping poor people was racist rather than just a good 60% of them

and I was reminded of this time when a Clinton volunteer went on a meltdown at me about how it was easy for me to be all Monday-morning-quarterback about politics when I should have been agitating to fix the problems during the election (naturally I should have been doing this by "getting Bernie to push for HRC harder," not by telling her to pay attention to the Midwest or anything)

and it's like, who the gently caress do you think I am

I'm some rear end in a top hat with opinions and no connections, I'm not Jeff loving Weaver. Do you think I have Bernie Sanders' personal number and can call him up whenever I want to say "Berno your bootlicking numbers aren't nearly craven enough! Get those figures higher and that tongue further into those boot treads!" and he'd be like "yes sir Mister SA Forums User Loquacius, I'm licking as hard as I can" and meanwhile Donnie Trump would be all "nooo not bootlicking, my one weakness" and melt away instantly

I'm shitposting because apart from voting, donating, etc that's all I can really do

There's something to be said for adding to the discourse, I wish the crazy email forwards thread was more about "help me shape my argument to convince onlookers and maybe even the dude I'm debating" and less "my parents are racist should i menendez them"

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Helsing posted:

This article about Corbyn offers a lot of lessons for the Democrats. The new media environment birthed by the internet rewards authenticity over carefully stage managed soundbite performances. One interesting side-effect of this change is the chance for specific popular policies to gain a meme-like traction within the electorate:

its nice how easy it is to quickly tell how full of poo poo a politician is now

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i just wanna say that bill de blasio is a lovely dem more concerned with trying to dunk on trump than doing his job as mayor

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

fits my needs posted:

Did Obama earn interest on his political capital? :thunk:

hes gonna let it accrue interest for 1000 years

well at least he's honestly calling himself a liberal I guess

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
at dinner last night I may have convinced my aunt that liberal interventionism is bad, but she only agreed with that because she's convinced that Muslims are completely alien to us, they hate all of our values, and we can't build democracy over there because we can't ever understand those people and we just need to keep them away from us

does that count as progress?

maybe she'd be a fan of Tulsi

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Literally

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zoran posted:

at dinner last night I may have convinced my aunt that liberal interventionism is bad, but she only agreed with that because she's convinced that Muslims are completely alien to us, they hate all of our values, and we can't build democracy over there because we can't ever understand those people and we just need to keep them away from us

does that count as progress?

maybe she'd be a fan of Tulsi

Yeah, not bombing indiscriminately and not deposing sovereign rulers is always a good position. It's a position that a lot of normal people hold, yet the Democrats argue otherwise.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The complete erasure of Left Wing PoC and the formation of all left wing thought being racist was one of the most aggravating things about the campagin last year (and about posting in D&D)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/nycDSA/status/883343544341024768

quote:

“Look at his career, look at his work in New York,” said Jonathan Cowan, president and founder of Third Way, a centrist think tank, and a former Cuomo adviser. “He is laying out a model for what it means to be a 21st-century Democrat. Our party is in a deep hole. You have to look around and say, ‘Who is succeeding? Who is doing it differently?’”
:barf:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmCibWptzZQ

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly, "I like this bad dem, but to have a shot he'll have to win over the Left first" is a better take than "those assholes on the left won't give this bad dem a chance, they are the villains here and that's how I've chosen to frame this storyline :colbert:"

KomradeX posted:

The complete erasure of Left Wing PoC and the formation of all left wing thought being racist was one of the most aggravating things about the campagin last year (and about posting in D&D)

It's condescending and paternalistic as hell but it does lead to them saying some pretty funny poo poo at least (SEE: joan walsh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

KomradeX posted:

Surprise, surprise. Boring white centrists are kinda racist.

They do the same thing to working class people. The working class is interpreted by them as white, even though a higher percentage of Blacks and Latinos work in low-wage blue-collar work.

• Locked thread