Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i went from like one unit with a really liberal leave policy and they never gave a gently caress as long as it was like, a few weeks out. Hell they accommodated me once like a month before deployment when my dad got out of jail and I wanted to go see him for the first time in like 5 years. I thought the leave policy was great.

then I went to another unit and it was good luck unless its xmas or the fourth or something.

and then I went to recruiting and you really didnt take leave because you got called all the loving time anyway

and then I got out and smdftb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My free week of leave in Belgium was the best. Went to Bruges. It's a fairytale loving town.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mustang posted:

There is absolutely nothing about the Army that makes me want to make this a career
OCS has taught you well. You have controlled your fear... now release your anger!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i love mustang but at the same time I absolutely will not be shocked when he mentions because of a *wide variety of excuses* that he decided to stay in and grow gradually more and more kool aid drinking until he pulls a slippery

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
If that happens then I want somebody to throw me in front of a bus

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mustang posted:

This is also what every O2 says just before they magically pin O4 six years later and find themselves working at the Pentagon serving coffee.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i love mustang but at the same time I absolutely will not be shocked when he mentions because of a *wide variety of excuses* that he decided to stay in and grow gradually more and more kool aid drinking until he pulls a slippery

man i still miss slip

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Thank god I only worked 15 hours today, thought I might have to work late tonight

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You're a Soldier 24 hours a day, hua?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

mlmp08 posted:

Kind of not an option whatsoever. Then again, through zero malfeasance of my own, I've probably taken leave without being charged properly a fair bit more than I'm going to get hosed this year.

Leave is a right, not a privilege.

Take your goddamn leave.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

Your platoon will soon start to do this anyways

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Im going to have roughly 55 days of leave saved up before my ETS and I've brought up how I'm looking forward to a two month paid vacation on my way out the door, but when I do everyone who has been here tells me "good luck with that, they never approve terminal leave longer than 30 days and will tell you to sell the rest." Guess they want to gently caress you one last time while giving them more time to gently caress you.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Im going to have roughly 55 days of leave saved up before my ETS and I've brought up how I'm looking forward to a two month paid vacation on my way out the door, but when I do everyone who has been here tells me "good luck with that, they never approve terminal leave longer than 30 days and will tell you to sell the rest." Guess they want to gently caress you one last time while giving them more time to gently caress you.

If your leave request is over 30 days then the next person in your chain of command has to approve it. So instead of battalion its regiment. I think. Also I think you can only sell back leave once in your career so you can try saying you're thinking about coming back as an officer after college so you don't want to waste your one chance to sell back leave.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

1-30 days is company level authorization, 31-60 is battalion, anything more than that is brigade, so the first full bird in the chain. That's how most organizations I've seen do it for regular leave, but from what I gather all PCS/ETS/retirement leave has to go to battalion anyway, so it would actually be the same or less work to just let me take the other 25 days instead of doing paperwork to sell them.

moodyhank31
Aug 29, 2012

A Bad Poster posted:

Just was approved for 64 days of terminal leave last week. Had to go up to the BC. Just keep nagging people about it.

My contract job starts a couple weeks after I start leave so I'll be doubled-dipping for a while. The kicker? I'm a single soldier ETS'ing from an oconus duty station. By the JTR, the Army has to pay me BAH for the zip code on my DA31 for every day of terminal leave. That'll be like 6 grand. :)

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I got a bunch of dudes getting out of the army within 4 months so I been letting them call in for accountability and do whatever they want for the day. They're getting out and I don't really need them so why waste their time? Well two of them got a loving DUI downtown in the middle of the workday and now I have to explain myself to the CSM.

I swear, you can't do anything nice.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A friend of mine fell out of a guard tower on deployment and, the way I understand it, crushed an extra vertebrae in his lower back. Not paralyzing but bad enough that he walks like a hunchback in constant pain now. The crushed vertebrae thing comes from whatever tests they did on deployment. When he got back to the states they suddenly can't find a crushed vertebrae and are saying he has degenerative disk disease. He had to do PT several times (last man ups had his eyes watering from the pain), which left him bed ridden for several days.

He recently got out and went to a private physician and sure enough his back is hosed up beyond any type of repair.

He believes (and most agree) that his back is so monumentally hosed up because of the army. He's willing to take the blame for falling off the guard tower, but everything after that is pretty much medical malpractice.

Join the army today!!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

A friend of mine fell out of a guard tower on deployment and, the way I understand it, crushed an extra vertebrae in his lower back. Not paralyzing but bad enough that he walks like a hunchback in constant pain now. The crushed vertebrae thing comes from whatever tests they did on deployment. When he got back to the states they suddenly can't find a crushed vertebrae and are saying he has degenerative disk disease. He had to do PT several times (last man ups had his eyes watering from the pain), which left him bed ridden for several days.

He recently got out and went to a private physician and sure enough his back is hosed up beyond any type of repair.

He believes (and most agree) that his back is so monumentally hosed up because of the army. He's willing to take the blame for falling off the guard tower, but everything after that is pretty much medical malpractice.

Join the army today!!

Sounds like he should have a sweet 100% disability check arriving in the mail from the VA soon.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

Sounds like he should have a sweet 100% disability check arriving in the mail from the VA soon.

I heard about it all because he asked me about my dealings with the VA and told me the story. I didn't have much advice to give him because I got in the system before I got out and honestly have no idea where he would begin. I just told him the first place I would start is to get his army medical records (which he had already done prior to getting out) and to get a copy of his private physician medical records, and to ask his current doc if they can possibly write an official opinion on how his back got so hosed up. Beyond that, I'm not sure what he should do.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

A Bad Poster posted:

I still feel like I got a sweet deal with 30 days con leave, 30 days of "duty" (two weeks of half days, two weeks of clearing), 60 days of terminal leave. The best four months of my time in the army, by far.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

I heard about it all because he asked me about my dealings with the VA and told me the story. I didn't have much advice to give him because I got in the system before I got out and honestly have no idea where he would begin. I just told him the first place I would start is to get his army medical records (which he had already done prior to getting out) and to get a copy of his private physician medical records, and to ask his current doc if they can possibly write an official opinion on how his back got so hosed up. Beyond that, I'm not sure what he should do.

He should talk to a veterans advocacy group, like DAV. They help streamline the whole process.

Speaking of hosed up backs, whoever recommended the reverse hyper wasn't joking: that thing really helped. Between that, and stretching my hamstrings routinely, my back pain as all but disappeared over the past two months.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Hey Space Toaster were you a MP right? I think one of my Soldiers is getting scammed by an military investigator....

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Kind of not an option whatsoever. Then again, through zero malfeasance of my own, I've probably taken leave without being charged properly a fair bit more than I'm going to get hosed this year.

So what exercise are they roping you into?

Kaliber posted:

Hey Space Toaster were you a MP right? I think one of my Soldiers is getting scammed by an military investigator....

Just give me a super generalized hypothetical situation if option 1 and 2 aren't good enough.

Also, are we talking MPI (military police investigator) or CID (criminal investigative division)? Any chucklehead can be an MPI and wear a bad suit for a few months (usually a junior NCO).

Option 1: If one of your Soldiers is being investigated/talked to/etc, send his/her rear end over to the JAG office. All they gotta do is sign in and wait for a lawyer to talk with them. If there's some fuckery going on that might fix it.

Option 2: I don't know your rank, but if you aren't feeling like doing this yourself use your commander's open door policy to have him do it, go talk to the commander of the MP station on post. The MP station will have a commander (CPT usually) and a 1SG you can talk too (or equivilant).

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 7, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kaliber posted:

Police lying during an investigation?! Say it ain't so.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Well... soldiers are pretty easily scammed, generally proven before they ever even arrive to basic training.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

Well... soldiers are pretty easily scammed, generally proven before they ever even arrive to basic training.

Do all the army training schools and such have malls nearby where people will allow them to buy a $500 laptop with allotments that total like $2500 in payments like the navy?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do all the army training schools and such have malls nearby where people will allow them to buy a $500 laptop with allotments that total like $2500 in payments like the navy?

When I graduated basic training, my family and I went to a mall in Columbus, GA not far from Benning just to check it out and grab some lunch.

They have people outside of every jewelry and electronics store that pounce on anybody in uniform to buy something with guaranteed financing. It's actually fascinating.

You know how they say the enemy knows your deployment schedule before you do? Yeah it's like that but with jewelry salespeople (who are, by and large, gorgeous women) and BCT graduations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Benning/Columbus is worse than Leonardwood/St. Robert in that regard. I don't remember getting accosted when I was coming out of OSUT, but I witnessed some pretty blatant scamming when I went back for Airborne school as an O. I had to stop some sick sleeves from buying iPads on a payment plan fresh out of OSUT. I know I was a dumb 19 (and now 32) year old, but I knew no one was going to sell a brand new gizmo for 1/3 of the regular asking price.

Pretty sure I could scam most of St. Robert's populace. Lots of people with questionable education out there.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

SWORDS

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

So what exercise are they roping you into?

Just give me a super generalized hypothetical situation if option 1 and 2 aren't good enough.

Also, are we talking MPI (military police investigator) or CID (criminal investigative division)? Any chucklehead can be an MPI and wear a bad suit for a few months (usually a junior NCO).

Option 1: If one of your Soldiers is being investigated/talked to/etc, send his/her rear end over to the JAG office. All they gotta do is sign in and wait for a lawyer to talk with them. If there's some fuckery going on that might fix it.

Option 2: I don't know your rank, but if you aren't feeling like doing this yourself use your commander's open door policy to have him do it, go talk to the commander of the MP station on post. The MP station will have a commander (CPT usually) and a 1SG you can talk too (or equivilant).

Soldier got a call from a civilian LT from MPI. He was told there's a case involving counterfeit money that his wife used at the commissary. He needs to meet the manager and pay up the money owed or he'll face consequences.

He tells me and I think it's a scam. Go to the MP station and no poo poo he works there and used his government cell phone. Now it's a closed case, the LT just wanted more info, nothing bad will happen and he should meet the manager and pay what's owed cause it's the right thing to do. But he's not telling us he has to.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 7, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kaliber posted:

Soldier got a call from a civilian LT from MPI. He was told there's a case involving counterfeit money that his wife used at the commissary. He needs to meet the manager and pay up the money owed or he'll face consequences.

He tells me and I think it's a scam. Go to the MP station and no poo poo he works there and used his government cell phone. Now it's a closed, nothing bad will happen and he should meet the manager and pay what's owed cause it's the right thing to do. But he's not telling us he has to.

I'd still tell him to go to JAG first. Counterfeit money is a secret service thing and he will probably want to make sure this doesn't fall on him/his wife.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kaliber posted:

He tells me and I think it's a scam. Go to the MP station and no poo poo he works there and used his government cell phone. Now it's a closed case, the LT just wanted more info, nothing bad will happen and he should meet the manager and pay what's owed cause it's the right thing to do. But he's not telling us he has to.

Stupid question but if he or his wife didn't knowingly pass the counterfeit money as in they thought it was real, why does he owe the commissary anything if the commissary didn't catch it at the point of sale?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Also, if they didn't catch it at the register, how do they know for sure that it was her? CCTV film?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

No clue.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
On the rare time I ever paid for something with cash at a PX they usually marked the bills with something, and of course there's the cameras on every register.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kaliber posted:

I got a bunch of dudes getting out of the army within 4 months so I been letting them call in for accountability and do whatever they want for the day. They're getting out and I don't really need them so why waste their time? Well two of them got a loving DUI downtown in the middle of the workday and now I have to explain myself to the CSM.

I swear, you can't do anything nice.

Why couldn't I have had this goon for a boss? Why is it always the "we have to PMCS by the book, line by line, and actually read the manual."

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.armywtfmoments.com/2017/07/07/557th-mp-co-leadership-fail-predators-hide-behind-rank/

quote:

Sí, this is José . I currently in the land of kimchee and soju, where the juicy girls are too juicy and the Katusas…not so much. But I uncover a story so profound, so astonishing and so crass that the ancient Romans would applaud the debauchery.

My report centers around the toxic, incompetent, predatory climate of the 557th MP Co. but before I start, it worthy to point out that all across the 94th MP BN is jacked up based on all the traffic, but my report would take hours to read, so I get you next time. But this climate didn’t just pop up overnight, it has gone on for years. The last commander was just canned for “allegedly” embezzling FRG funds for personal items, to include furniture for his pad. There was also a poo poo ton of equipment that has gone missing, to include not knowing where some LMTVs are I was told. Just how does one lose a big rear end truck??? My sources tell me that he is currently under investigation as well. But this isn’t the first time a commander got canned for being stupid. The PREVIOUS commander was fired for screwing the XO, oh did I mention he married too. He got outed because when he fired the XO, mostly for screwing half the company NCOs and a couple of spouses, she dropped the video of them screwing on the BC’s desk. So she got “moved” over to 2ID, where there’s much more game to be had, and the commander, since he was at the end of his tenure, was allowed to finish out and then went on to be one of the Provost Marshals over there.

Moving on down the line, 1SG, you’re up! So let’s start with the previous previous 1SG. He was a hard charger, get anything done type of guy. Unfortunately for him, he still had too much of his upbringing in him and used the N word toward a minority, which promptly got reported. But since he was a rising star and no have bad record, it fizzle away and he got his required MSM out the door and is throwing his star around since he got picked up for SGM. Now on to the “current” 1SG. Not to outdone by his predecessor, this guy targets junior soldiers for recreation. Texts are sent, shenanigans are had, and the next thing you know, he’s no longer the 1SG because CID cast their beady eyes on him and opened an investigation for abusive sexual contact and some other stuff.

I spoke to individuals who were/have been harassed by NCOs to have sex with them. Their normal M.O. is to target fresh privates out of AIT with either bullying or coercion. Often if they advance is turned down, the threaten to report them for underage drinking. But junior privates are not the only game in town. Spouses have also been targeted and there’s at least one active investigation currently on a NCO that was texting a spouse trying to get that hook-up on. 3 hour “room checks” have occurred with the NCO applying some “attention to detail” techniques. NCOs go on dates with soldiers, been seen flirting at work, as one lady put it “It’s like the wild west over here”.

Will NCOs actually start living by their creed or will they continue to prey on the young ones? You need to police each other up, not stand in the corner and watch it happen. Will officers start behaving and start enforcing the Oath they took? Your Soldiers and NCO deserve the best from you, not the best 2 minutes you can give them. 94th MP BN, I be watching you. Your formations are in disarray and it’s your duty to put them back in order. Lastly 557th, threatening your Soldiers with CID investigations or courts martials on proves you are scared of what people may find out what’s going on your back yard. Your threats will fail and you will bring down scrutiny like you’ve never seen.

This is José reporting live for USAWTF!

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
The funny things is I read that and it just sounds like 90% of the units in the army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

The funny things is I read that and it just sounds like 90% of the units in the army