Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

"Superhot of VR puzzle games" approaches "skyrim but with guns" levels of game description :cheeky:

That said, good guy superhot does sound really fun.

And I'm all for having more non-violent games, especially in VR.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqd-_fHdTyA&t=89s

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
6 hours to Echo Arena

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Of course I'm out of town this weekend. Looking forward to hearing some impressions, at least.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
While we're on the subject of retro style VR, everyone owes it to themselves to try the Compound alpha on Steam. Wouldn't have expected a lo-res pixel art style to work so well (Minecraft aside) but it does.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

While we're on the subject of retro style VR, everyone owes it to themselves to try the Compound alpha on Steam. Wouldn't have expected a lo-res pixel art style to work so well (Minecraft aside) but it does.

Oh, it's so sharp. Takes some getting used to but I had a ton of fun with it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1XQzMRgfLo

This looks pretty great.

And see, this is what I mean, you can get the retro aesthetic completely from the pixel art style and the color palette. The enemies are still fully 3D, just kinda blocky and with low-res textures.

A couple things are flat but very few, used tastefully. Like the map, which makes sense, and the bullet sprites, which are fine because they're small and move fast. I could def get into this.

Music has serious Terminator vibes :)

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone tried Mages Tale? Looks like great fun but I missed the sale dammit. Worth $30?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone tried Mages Tale? Looks like great fun but I missed the sale dammit. Worth $30?

It was never on sale or I've had picked it up. It's supposed to be great. Actual full length game.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Zaphod42 posted:

And see, this is what I mean, you can get the retro aesthetic completely from the pixel art style and the color palette. The enemies are still fully 3D, just kinda blocky and with low-res textures.

A couple things are flat but very few, used tastefully. Like the map, which makes sense, and the bullet sprites, which are fine because they're small and move fast. I could def get into this.

Yeah, it's kind of weird how important little details like that are in an art style. Adhering inconsistently to different hardware artifacts of the time slaps you right the gently caress out of the experience, the difference between Shovel Knight and the eighty billion indie sprite platformers competing with it. Or the Brigador soundtrack versus retrosynthwhateverwavepunk.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
http://store.steampowered.com/app/533970/Blocks_by_Google/

new free google creative vr tool

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I'm really enjoying it. I'm maybe... halfway through possibly? Not sure entirely but the vast majority I haven't unlocked and I'm going to have to start going back through older levels as theres just so many secrets packed in I must have missed. Its got a great atmosphere, look, etc and some cool spell effects you can mix and match (tracking, homing, bouncing, polymorph, etc) with the base elemental types to create some interesting stuff. I think its worth the cost if you enjoy dungeon crawlers, RPG's, puzzles, or for some folks fans of the bard's tale games will probably get an extra kick out of it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

This looks really neat. I love Medium and the like but the low poly nature of this means it should be super simple to make fun models quickly. I'll check it out soon.

After five hours of To The Top I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who likes parkour, platforming and high-speed aerobatics. You need to have your VR legs about you because even I felt a bit motion sick after a long session of it, and it's absolutely not for vertigo sufferers, but it's an extremely well made game that feels superb once you get a hang of the controls.

Don't write it off because it looks like Climbey at a glance, because it's absolutely not the same kind of game. It's more about going fast, getting lots of airtime and enjoying levels that offer unique challenges rather than a straight climbing simulator. Actually getting to a point where you're comfortable with the controls will take a couple of minutes, though, particularly if you've played Climbey. You don't need to swing your arms to arc your jumps, there's no true on-foot locomotion, and you can grab surfaces from a distance rather than needing it in your physical vicinity. Your jump direction is handled by your head movement - where you're looking is where you'll go - and you have some impressive air control to boot so you can leap off something and round a corner in one move. After a while it feels incredibly natural and flying through levels is a blast.

The game isn't incredibly difficult at first, but after the Easy campaign you'll see a lot of diversity in the level designs that offer some really interesting challenges such as navigating a moving convoy, climbing a giant robot as it walks through an arena and a bizzare abstract level set to a particular song. As a nice little feature, if you're not into speedrunning, there's a ton of alternate paths in each level and collectables to find that unlock customisation for your character.

I've never hit a point where the game was frustrating to me that was the fault of the game itself, but I'm a perfectionist and my playstyle is to book through a level as fast as possible on the first try, something that can be a little difficult with the later levels as there's some need to plan ahead with your movements. I do have to say that I really don't like the controls for hand-over-hand/underhang motions, they feel incredibly stiff and weird after getting used to Climbey's natural controls.

The soundtrack is fantastic and although it's fairly limited in scale (I think there's about 8 songs or so?) they don't wear their welcome out too quickly and match the fast pace and freeform nature of the game beautifully, while its graphical design can be described as "simple but effective", electing for a low-poly, low-detail style that gives you a very clear sense of direction in each level while still being able to have lots of character and variety in locations. This game works best with 360 tracking and there were some moments where I became a cable cocoon from having to keep turning around for the next leaping spot, but if you've played Climbey you're probably going to be used to that sort of thing.

I got it while it was on sale, but looking at its current price (£18.99) I wouldn't feel too bad paying for it after having experienced it. I had sat on the sidelines due to the "Why get this when I have Climbey?" stigma that surrounds the game but I had heard a lot of praise for it that I took the plunge and wasn't disappointed in the slightest at all.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 7, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, I've tried some To The Top and it is the single best game for fans of 100% collections in platformers or speedrunning with a few rather tricky stages. I refunded it because I wasn't going to get serious mileage out of the game like people into those things I just listed, but if you are this is one that you'll be returning to all the time. Quality videogame.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The spiderman VR experience is so hilariously lame I feel gyped and it was free.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Wow, they're really improved the networking this go around in the beta, I have had no trouble finding full games in echo arena, and they're getting good! It feels like everyone has been itching to play again and going over strategies in their head because out of the gate everyone is moving like its the playoffs. I haven't been in a match yet where people don't know how to launch and one person is just dunking it over and over- its great!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PerrineClostermann posted:

After playing "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" with my friend via Skype, I decided to get it on Daydream with my Google survey bucks. Have yet to play it, but the menu seems solid. Is it the same as other VR versions? I can't imagine much in the way of differences.
It's fully the same game, all that differs is how you click on things.

peter gabriel posted:

It's me, I'm the spinning sprite that ruins VR
You can watch a video of a Fireplace on a flatscreen TV in VR now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC46nUxa3BU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Echo Arena is The poo poo

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Got our new room scale Vive up and running tonight and Superhot is loving amazing. My shooty man fantasies from the year 2000 are coming true.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Echo Arena is The poo poo

update: it is still The poo poo but it is extremely hard and there are very good people already playing. I played with a dev on my team and "we" won like 24-3.

I honestly do not understand how people are so good at moving to intercept the disc but it's fun trying anyway

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm having a blast with keep talking... but I'm like halfway through now and worried the puzzles are becoming unfun. The last couple were kinda ridiculous. I was proud of us when we got them, but.. if they keep just ramping up the difficulty in the same way its gonna get a bit much.

veni veni veni posted:

The spiderman VR experience is so hilariously lame I feel gyped and it was free.

I thought it was fun I'm just sad that you only started swinging at the end and it ended way too fast.

The part up on the crane was actually legit cool IMO? I got some serious "whoa I'm way up high" feelings from that.

I really want a superhero VR game :( A game where you could change size, run on walls, fly, swing through cities, etc. would just be so much fun JUST TO RUN AROUND IN. I don't even need to fight crime. A superhero platformer would be amazing.

poo poo windlands is basically a spider man game, and its pretty cool but kinda intense...

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AndrewP posted:

I honestly do not understand how people are so good at moving to intercept the disc but it's fun trying anyway

It reminds me alot of Kanonball back in the day. People used to flail around trying to intercept a small ball until they became used to the velocity/momentum etc.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AndrewP posted:

update: it is still The poo poo but it is extremely hard and there are very good people already playing. I played with a dev on my team and "we" won like 24-3.

Yeah, its still new enough it takes some thought to not go for the disk, but think super quickly how fast its going, the angle of the wall its going to hit, etc. It also takes some thought to consider your existing momentum when you throw the disk and compensating for that. The games where it was really competitive though, like 3-5 final scores and stuff are just a blast. It really feels like a group just playing a pickup game of some real sport.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Echo Arena is real good

I got the highest average score which is neat

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Echo Arena is real goddamn good.

Needs a bigger playspace than I currently have setup though, even with the brightest most annoying Chaperone possible I was still punching walls constantly. You really get caught up in being a flying robotman. Which makes me think the singleplayer of this could really be something drat cool as well.

I'd like to see how an Ender's game mode played, where everyone (or maybe just one person per team) has guns that knock you out temporarily like the punching does. Really it's like the foundation for a shitload of cool gamemodes. I'd play a deathmatch quake-style game with this locomotion. Trying to manage your direction and velocity while whipping out guns with one or both hands would be nuts. Hopefully they're support of modding.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Chadzok posted:

Echo Arena is real goddamn good.

Needs a bigger playspace than I currently have setup though, even with the brightest most annoying Chaperone possible I was still punching walls constantly. You really get caught up in being a flying robotman. Which makes me think the singleplayer of this could really be something drat cool as well.

Me too. I think my playspace is really limiting my ability to play this game well. Sometimes I want to dive out to grab the ball, or reach out to grab an enemy's foot - in the heat of the moment I forget to stay in the center and 'whack!'

I ended up turning the guardian off, because my play area is so small that whenever I put my hands out, the boundary walls would trigger and freak me out from reaching any further. Since most of what's around me is low height it's not an issue.... except for the one drat wall which I always intend not to be near, but somehow always ends up right infront of me in the heat of the moment!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I know it's like baby's first vr, but I picked up the 2017 Gear VR thing for cheap money to use with my S8+, is there any cool poo poo I can check out?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Raw Data PVP beta goes live today too, but you need to own the game and opt in. From what I've heard about the closed beta it is extremely good and a killer app for VR. Overwatch inspired design apparently though I'm not sure how far that goes.

I'll be playing this and echo arena all day tomorrow, vr goons should meet up.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
edit uuuuuh yeah this looks extremely loving fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtteuTAK3PI

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I know it's like baby's first vr, but I picked up the 2017 Gear VR thing for cheap money to use with my S8+, is there any cool poo poo I can check out?

Lands End is fun. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is also pretty good with the Gear VR format. Gear VR really good for watching TV and movies in a really immersive environment. Find a show you are really into and watch it in the void theater in bed.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Are there any VR games like Receiver yet? Something highly skill-based with pseudo-random content and intricate mechanics
Robo Recall is really cool as an FPS action kind of experience but it A) is way too easy, is it even possible to lose in this game? and B) feels like a bit of a "canned" experience compared to what I like in video games, as freeform as the combat is.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TheKnife posted:

Are there any VR games like Receiver yet? Something highly skill-based with pseudo-random content and intricate mechanics
Robo Recall is really cool as an FPS action kind of experience but it A) is way too easy, is it even possible to lose in this game? and B) feels like a bit of a "canned" experience compared to what I like in video games, as freeform as the combat is.

It's easy so that it is accessible, but it isn't "easy" to say, top the leaderboards.

I wouldn't call it canned either, it just has an "arcadey" presentation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TheKnife posted:

Yes. Receiver in VR. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5uavub/receiver_by_wolfire_steamvr_mod_link_in_yt/

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TheKnife posted:

The Meat Grinder mode in H3VR, pretty much.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know somebody ported that to SteamVR!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Some of the good ones like 'keep talking and noone explodes', and things like the theater, netflix apps and stuff have already been mentioned, but you might want to also check out:

If you have the motion controller for it, you should be able to get Dead and Buried gear VR edition for free. Its a little multiplayer wild west game with vs. and hoard modes. The PC version is a blast, and I've heard good things about the gearVR version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm7zIcehOBA

Minecraft for gear VR is really well done, and now that microsoft is making all the c++ versions compatible, you can play it multiplayer with anyone on a smartphone, tablet, pc, game console, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rYfkDmSRKs

Witchblood is a neat metroidvania style platformer which was also released on the PC and was pretty fun. If you like those kinds of games, I think definitely check it out, its only 8 bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5dHDgzISNs

Herobound: Spirit Champions is a free sort of zelda style rpg/dungeon crawler. Finding dungeons, solving puzzles in rooms/killing guys and bosses etc. It's pretty fun from what I remember, and free anyways.

Esper&Esper 2 are some fun little puzzle games, might be worth checking out if you like puzzle stuff.

Several of these games though you'd need a bluetooth gamepad to be able to play, and Dead and Buried you need the motion controller. Anyways, thats all I can really think of off the top of my head, but if you're curious about big boy VR as well, you can look into something called 'riftcat' that lets you stream PC content to the gear VR so you could even play stuff like Elite:Dangerous and the like in VR. Obviously thats severely restricted with no controllers and no spacial tracking, but if you're another step curious, you can get something called "nolo" that has a sensor, 2 wands, and another to stick on your headset that will give it the ability to play, well, really any steamVR game, or rift through revive, though how well that thing works while costing $200 bucks.... i dunno.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tom Guycot posted:

Minecraft for gear VR is really well done, and now that microsoft is making all the c++ versions compatible, you can play it multiplayer with anyone on a smartphone, tablet, pc, game console, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rYfkDmSRKs

Except PS4, because Sony.

Minecraft for PS4 deserves PSVR support but after a dick move like that I'm not holding my breath.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

haveblue posted:

Except PS4, because Sony.

Minecraft for PS4 deserves PSVR support but after a dick move like that I'm not holding my breath.

haha, oh man, when I read your post I figured "oh microsoft is blocking it and being dicks, that sucks" then I looked it up and Sony is blocking it from being cross compatible... what on earth.

edit:
vvvvv Have you checked out the photogrammetry scene compiled from opportunity rover photos? Its pretty awesome, and finally gave me some real scale on just how huge that rover is.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 7, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Mars 2030 is out in 4 days. 20 square km of accurately reproduced mars surface terrain. you can drive the rover.

YOU CAN DRIVE THE ROVER

THE ROVER

YOU CAN DRIVE IT

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Possibly not all that useful to you unless you got the pack that includes it, but I recently picked up Samsung's GearVR controller. It's not terrible? Obviously a gyroscope controller can't even begin to compare with a proper tracked controller, but it's a passable pointing device and it helps a lot with making the GearVR feel immersive rather than just like a round screen.

So far I've played Daedelus with it, which is a simplistic puzzle game with jetpack locomotion. It worked pretty well; having very precise motion control over your movement helped a lot with making it comfortable.

Tom Guycot posted:

haha, oh man, when I read your post I figured "oh microsoft is blocking it and being dicks, that sucks" then I looked it up and Sony is blocking it from being cross compatible... what on earth.
Whoever's currently losing the console war is always pro-crossplay, because it means that new customers can pick the less popular console and still be able to play with their friends. Whoever's currently winning the console war is always anti-crossplay for exactly the same reasons.

It should go without saying that Sony are currently winning the console war. Fortunately they realised that crossplay for PSVR was important enough to change their policy, since VR multiplayer isn't going to survive without it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

The Walrus posted:

Mars 2030 is out in 4 days. 20 square km of accurately reproduced mars surface terrain. you can drive the rover.

YOU CAN DRIVE THE ROVER

THE ROVER

YOU CAN DRIVE IT

But can I drive the Rover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I won't be immersed unless there's a 20 minute speed of light delay :colbert: