Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

twodot posted:

I'm the one saying everyone should have enough time and resources to raise kids, and then decide whether they want to spend that time and resources on raising kids. I've never met a parent in real life that acted as though their decision to raise kids was an act of toil that demanded compensation from society rather than a self-fulfilling action worthy of its own accord.
You're also saying that even in a system where each person is allocated an income for merely existing, kids don't count as people. You still haven't explained how that makes any sense (hint: it doesn't).

It's true that current mainstream societal attitudes in the US hold that the state shouldn't be significantly subsidizing childrearing (although there are a few significant exceptions, like public schooling). This may explain why the US birthrate seems to be steadily dropping (and would be dropping way more if we didn't have so much Hispanic immigration). And since we can expect the US to continue becoming less religious over time, I think we can expect the birthrate to continue going down, sans state intervention. I guess if that doesn't bother you at all, then yes, your argument is sound. But I'm guessing that most people do care, and that Americans will gradually come around to the idea that childrearing should be supported more by the state; we already see paid parental leave becoming more and more common for businesses and governments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am definitely for parental leave, I just wish people would admit it's typically an emotional and selfish decision, and not act like they're making this noble sacrifice for the species. By all means, if one of your children manages to create some sort of magical solution to climate change and save the human race from itself, I'll be happy to eat my words.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

Have you considered that a large portion of people for whom it would be feasible to purchase a home have already done so?

Many people who are currently renting would not be able to afford to own, and that isn't just about base price. Maintenence on a huoldingnis significant. If we are talking about them purchasing, some of them will be completely unable to secure financing due to credit history or debt to income ratios. If you are suggesting we just transfer property to them then you can come out and say that, but you are doing a really poor job of staking out a position.
I'm just glad to have finally convinced you that housing everyone is possible.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I am definitely for parental leave, I just wish people would admit it's typically an emotional and selfish decision, and not act like they're making this noble sacrifice for the species. By all means, if one of your children manages to create some sort of magical solution to climate change and save the human race from itself, I'll be happy to eat my words.
I never suggested that people are intentionally doing it in order to be self-sacrificing. I'm suggesting that's what it amounts to, though. Think about it: it takes a TON of time, energy, and money, with a minimum 18-year commitment, and doesn't really leave you better off, even emotionally, than if you didn't have kids. From a homo economicus standpoint, the parents clearly aren't the beneficiaries in this decision. But who does benefit? The wider society.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

BREEDERS! :argh: I don't have kids, but if you don't support time off for new parents gently caress you.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DrNutt posted:

Gotta save this crazy post for later. The breeder mafia will want to handle this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cicero posted:

I never suggested that people are intentionally doing it in order to be self-sacrificing. I'm suggesting that's what it amounts to, though. Think about it: it takes a TON of time, energy, and money, with a minimum 18-year commitment, and doesn't really leave you better off, even emotionally, than if you didn't have kids. From a homo economicus standpoint, the parents clearly aren't the beneficiaries in this decision. But who does benefit? The wider society.

The wider society benefits currently, but as I have repeatedly said, even our current population will be unsustainable in fifty years, and we will see millions and even billions die from starvation and conflict over basic resources. Unless you are ultra rich or powerful you are literally dooming your child to this fate. And even then, being rich and powerful will only buy you a head start once society starts collapsing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Peachfart posted:

Gotta save this crazy post for later. The breeder mafia will want to handle this.

Please explain to me what is crazy about my post.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Have you considered that a large portion of people for whom it would be feasible to purchase a home have already done so?

Many people who are currently renting would not be able to afford to own, and that isn't just about base price. Maintenence on a huoldingnis significant. If we are talking about them purchasing, some of them will be completely unable to secure financing due to credit history or debt to income ratios. If you are suggesting we just transfer property to them then you can come out and say that, but you are doing a really poor job of staking out a position.

As a home owner I can say with certainty that anyone paying rent can afford a home, my mortgage is less than an equivalent rental would be. Even a one bedroom apartment would be affordable to most people who rent an equivalent space. The only thing stopping people is consistent financial history and several thousands of dollars of down payment.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElCondemn posted:

As a home owner I can say with certainty that anyone paying rent can afford a home, my mortgage is less than an equivalent rental would be. Even a one bedroom apartment would be affordable to most people who rent an equivalent space. The only thing stopping people is consistent financial history and several thousands of dollars of down payment.

:doh:

Don't forget that things will eventually happen that you can't pester your landlord to fix, like say your side sewer collapses and you have to have it replaced to the tune of around 9000 dollars.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

The wider society benefits currently, but as I have repeatedly said, even our current population will be unsustainable in fifty years, and we will see millions and even billions die from starvation and conflict over basic resources. Unless you are ultra rich or powerful you are literally dooming your child to this fate. And even then, being rich and powerful will only buy you a head start once society starts collapsing.

Save future generations from suffering and kill yourself, it's the only noble thing to do. You wouldn't want to be here in 50 years anyway, it's too grim.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElCondemn posted:

Save future generations from suffering and kill yourself, it's the only noble thing to do. You wouldn't want to be here in 50 years anyway, it's too grim.

Yeah well I have Type 1 Diabetes so I probably won't have to once medication like insulin is in short supply.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

DrNutt posted:

So which resource are Malthusians saying we'll run out of this time? Food? Water?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cicero posted:

So which resource are Malthusians saying we'll run out of this time? Food? Water?

I guess we can see how chipper your kids are at responding to Dust Bowl 2: This Time at Peak Oil, or holy poo poo, millions of refugees fleeing from areas that have either become too flooded or too hot to be liveable. Because we're already doing a great job with all the humanitarian crises we're currently dealing with.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Just remember the paid family leave act covers illnesses and injuries to you or someone you're a caregiver for, so breeders and the non-breeders get some kind of coverage. It also covers adopting kids. For the US, the WA paid family leave is pretty good.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cicero posted:

This may explain why the US birthrate seems to be steadily dropping (and would be dropping way more if we didn't have so much Hispanic immigration).

Yikes

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Cicero posted:

You're also saying that even in a system where each person is allocated an income for merely existing, kids don't count as people. You still haven't explained how that makes any sense (hint: it doesn't).
I don't think people under 18 should generally be able to legally own anything, so I don't see any disconnect in the government deciding to not send a 6 year old a wad of cash. Maybe a UBI should include some sort of dependent counting system similar to how the tax code functions, but I don't see why anyone supporting a UBI would pick a fight over exactly how people with children should be handled. I've already acknowledged that extra payments to parents is probably politically necessary regardless of whether it makes sense.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Oh no, not data!

From another article:

quote:

The 2013 U.S. fertility rate among Hispanics stands at 73 births per thousand women aged 15-44, which is down from 98 in 2006, prior to the economic downturn, and 108 in 1990. The U.S. fertility rate among Black non-Hispanics was 65 in 2013, only an eight-point difference versus the Hispanic rate, the smallest difference in at least 25 years. Prior to the recession, the Black fertility rate was nearly 30 points below the Hispanic rate.

The report also shows that the U.S. White non-Hispanic fertility rate has held relatively stable since 1990, at around 60 births per thousand women of reproductive age. That said, since 2007 the fertility rate among Whites has declined slightly, from 61 in 2007, prior to the recession, to 59 in 2013. The current rate for Whites is only a 14-point difference compared to the Hispanic rate, whereas it was 45 points below in 1990. 
https://www.unomaha.edu/news/2015/01/fertility.php

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 7, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Just remember the paid family leave act covers illnesses and injuries to you or someone you're a caregiver for, so breeders and the non-breeders get some kind of coverage. It also covers adopting kids. For the US, the WA paid family leave is pretty good.

Seriously, I don't understand what's so difficult about this.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Seriously, I don't understand what's so difficult about this.
But what if you have no one important in your life to take care of? Doesn't this law punish those who had the foresight and wisdom to have no old relatives and to make friends with those of vigorous body and mind?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 7, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's just that it's not a great way to make that statement. You could be construed as one of those "white genocide" types. Maybe consider leaving race out of it altogether next time.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah no, I'm not gonna leave out an important statistical point just because some people are oversensitive.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Go forth and multiply is religion not skin color

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

twodot posted:

I don't think people under 18 should generally be able to legally own anything, so I don't see any disconnect in the government deciding to not send a 6 year old a wad of cash. Maybe a UBI should include some sort of dependent counting system similar to how the tax code functions, but I don't see why anyone supporting a UBI would pick a fight over exactly how people with children should be handled. I've already acknowledged that extra payments to parents is probably politically necessary regardless of whether it makes sense.

Dude kids cost money.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Cicero posted:

But what if you have no one important in your life to take care of? Doesn't this law punish those who had the foresight and wisdom to have no old relatives and to make friends with those of vigorous body and mind?

MISANTHROPES ARE PEOPLE TOO!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

Go forth and multiply is religion not skin color
Well religion/culture, but you don't have to tell me, I grew up Mormon.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

ElCondemn posted:

wait what?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

twodot posted:

You cut off my post because you are either an idiot or a jerk. Universal basic income should be used to care for children if guardians think that's the best use of their income. Failing that universal time off should be used by guardians to care for their children if they think that's the best use of their time off. If guardians think they need extra time and money from the state just because they decided to care for children? gently caress them. (edit: To be double clear, this in no way precludes having subsidized childcare for those who need it) (edit2: Nor does it preclude being employed by the state to be a caregiver, though claiming you need to time off from your job to do your job seems tenuous).
edit3:

Funding public schooling ensures every resident has an education. Requiring that finance quants that just got a baby get time off does nothing for the public good.

Got it, you have a boner for an idea to the exclusion of other ideas that demonstrably work well in other countries. I would support a UBI, but it has nothing to do with maternity / paternity leave. "WAAAHHH, WAAAHHH, you aren't supporting the thing I love because you are saying something else would be a good for society"

Everybody should be able to have time off for a baby, right now only the rich can. Only people like that quant you mention can do thing like afford to take time under fmla.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 7, 2017

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Wait is Cicero complaining about a higher fertility rate among Hispanic immigrants or just pointing out that it is holding a demographic disaster at bay by helping generate more population?
Like, look at Hermiston over the last 15 years and compare to Pendleton over the same period. Hispanic immigration and younger population has clearly had an overwhelmingly positive effect.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Got it, you have a boner for an idea to the exclusion of other ideas that demonstrably work well in other countries. I would support a UBI, but it has nothing to do with maternity / paternity leave. "WAAAHHH, WAAAHHH, you aren't supporting the thing I love because you are saying something else would be a good for society"

Everybody should be able to have time of for a baby, right now only the rich can. Only people like that quant you mention can do thing like afford to take time under fmla.
I specifically said family leave would be good, just that universal time off would be better, read my posts people:

twodot posted:

I mean I think "paid leave for everyone" is better not just from an egalitarian perspective, but also because it gets more selfish people on board. But if that's not possible, we clearly need to prioritize people who need to deal with family members or medical issues over everyone else.
Then a bunch of people started complaining that it wouldn't be fair if parents got as much time off as they needed and also other people got that amount of time off as well.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Dude kids cost money.
Lot's of thing cost money doesn't mean the government needs to directly subsidize anything that costs money.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

MISANTHROPES ARE PEOPLE TOO!

And thanks to the paid leave law misanthropes can use the money they'll be entitled to to pay for the care they need for up to 12 weeks. I fully plan on dying alone, childless, and for my cat to feed on my decaying corpulent corpse and I am all for the paid leave because I know there will come a time I will need it. Also shared leave seriously takes forever to get.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

therobit posted:

Wait is Cicero complaining about a higher fertility rate among Hispanic immigrants or just pointing out that it is holding a demographic disaster at bay by helping generate more population?
Like, look at Hermiston over the last 15 years and compare to Pendleton over the same period. Hispanic immigration and younger population has clearly had an overwhelmingly positive effect.
I was pointing out that the US birthrate would be even further below replacement if not for recent Hispanic immigration, which is relevant because as successive generations integrate more and become culturally more similar or even indistinguishable from the ethnic groups that have been in the US longer, we can expect the birthrates to fall to match.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

twodot posted:

Lot's of thing cost money doesn't mean the government needs to directly subsidize anything that costs money.
Most things are either a) not absolute requirements for the continuation of humanity, or b) not enormous time/money sinks that last for 18 years.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cicero posted:

Most things are either a) not absolute requirements for the continuation of humanity, or b) not enormous time/money sinks that last for 18 years.

twodot posted:

I'm the one saying everyone should have enough time and resources to raise kids
I agree that kids are things that consume time and resources. I'm just saying everyone should have that much time and resources. If after giving people enough time and resources to have kids, people decide not to have kids, whelp:

twodot posted:

Ok, I'll be honest. I really just don't give a poo poo about the "we need babies to fuel our ever expanding capitalist system" argument. If our existing societal structure is unsustainable without babies that people don't want, we need to radically alter our societal structure, not make making babies more attractive.
What do people think they are contributing here?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

twodot posted:

Yeah but when you're talking about UBI, it makes you look like a huge loving dunce if you take the position that people with dependents should get the same income allowance as people who don't have dependents.

I mean, if you want to look dumb that's cool I guess.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah but when you're talking about UBI, it makes you look like a huge loving dunce if you take the position that people with dependents should get the same income allowance as people who don't have dependents.

I mean, if you want to look dumb that's cool I guess.
Hmm, that seems like a reasonable point:

twodot posted:

Maybe a UBI should include some sort of dependent counting system similar to how the tax code functions, but I don't see why anyone supporting a UBI would pick a fight over exactly how people with children should be handled. I've already acknowledged that extra payments to parents is probably politically necessary regardless of whether it makes sense.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cicero posted:

I was pointing out that the US birthrate would be even further below replacement if not for recent Hispanic immigration, which is relevant because as successive generations integrate more and become culturally more similar or even indistinguishable from the ethnic groups that have been in the US longer, we can expect the birthrates to fall to match.

That's what I thought but they are all calling you a racist for some reason.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

twodot posted:

What do people think they are contributing here?

fart noises

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cicero posted:

I was pointing out that the US birthrate would be even further below replacement

For a greater understanding of your point, do you mind sharing where this data is from? I did some searching myself but I found a lot of SCARY ARTICLES talking about decline of civilization but not a lot of cited research. I also found an article comparing the US to Japan which was incredibly laughable for what should be obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

We can argue that that public employees deserve lower pay than private sector workers and it's a travesty to give them pay raises. A 2% raise per year thru 2019 in pay goes against god and capitalism, everyone, per multiple people I know.