Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Life is pain. Entropy wins in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I might've missed this earlier but I'm very excited for this: Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 for PS4, Xbone and PC is coming out in early August. It'll be the first ever physical release of MM 9 and 10, and also includes 7 and 8. Only 20 bucks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MM7 and 8 are not very good but 9 and 10 being so kick rear end makes it worth it. And nice to have those games available in more places.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

In Training posted:

Idk how much that really means when the mechanics of DDS are like 90% Nocturne

They're all under the SMT umbrella, even Persona.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
bit late for the 8bitdo chat, but any opinions on the FC30 pro?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veib posted:

Are the old console versions of Wolfenstein 3D any good either? I've only ever played Doom and that on a PC.
Seconding what PaletteSwappedNinja posted, with an extra nod towards the 3DO version. It's basically the antithesis of the Doom port!

This video is low-res as gently caress, but it's from the actual hardware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQlk27eAD4

The GBA version is an accurate conversion of the original DOS version, but with no music and a chugging FPS. I can't recommend it.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

fishmech posted:

Yea. Well idk about the magazine, but both Doom 32x and Doom SNES lack the side and back sprites for living monsters, even tho they had been partially implemented in earlier development.

This also breaks a lot of the monster infight function.

One other odd thing: SNES implemented Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon properly. Jag, 3do, 32x, GBA all miss it.

Wait, wait do they do for e2m8 and e3m8 where those enemies are the boss monsters?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

Wait, wait do they do for e2m8 and e3m8 where those enemies are the boss monsters?
Simple: They didn't include those levels! :v: E2M8's name ("Tower of Babel") was reused for a whole new map (renamed "Hell Gate" for the Playstation version since it restored the boss maps) while E3M8 ("Dis") was replaced with E2M9 ("Fortress of Mystery").

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
LA retro trip report part 2! I hit up a few more places on my last day in the area.

The famous Game Dude had a July 4th sale so I grabbed a few things. They had Famicom games for $5 each and Dreamcast import games for $7 each, then a 25% sale discount. I also grabbed a Jaguar multitap for... some reason. Not like I have four controllers or any games that support it. Also the Game Gear version of one of my favorite Saturn puzzle games.

Family Arcade, home of expensive pinball and some of the worst arcade LCD conversions I've ever seen. Plus someone stole my wallet out of my bag while I was there. Welp.

The sign for World 8 caught my eye the night before so next day I went back to check it out and got Afterburner II, WildSnake, and Smartball.

Max Games turned out to be more of a repair shop than a store, and more of a pet store than a repair shop. I wouldn't want my console repaired in such a filthy store and the smell of bird poo poo stuck in my nostrils for hours. Don't go here.

Game Portal, a cool little store on the top floor of a mall in Burbank. They had a buy two get 1 sale on used games so I got some Sega CD, Genesis, and NES games, a repro of a really good $400 Game Boy game, and found the US version of Jet Coaster World after getting the JP version at Game Dude. Whoops.

Game Realms is also in Burbank and according to the guy at Game Portal was opened by some disgruntled former Game Dude employees who thought they could do better. They were closed on the 4th so I didn't get to find out.

It was a cool trip aside from the wallet thing and I hope to visit again soon :)

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
what iidx cab are you using as a table

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
the one in my living room

shelfmania :iidx:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

In Training posted:

MM7 and 8 are not very good but 9 and 10 being so kick rear end makes it worth it. And nice to have those games available in more places.

Mega Man 7 and 8 aren't that bad, yeesh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Only Shallow posted:

I also grabbed a Jaguar multitap for... some reason. Not like I have four controllers or any games that support it.

Get four controllers and NBA Jam: Tournament Edition. If I remember correctly it's one of the best NBA Jam ports.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Only Shallow posted:

LA retro trip report part 2! I hit up a few more places on my last day in the area.

The famous Game Dude had a July 4th sale so I grabbed a few things. They had Famicom games for $5 each and Dreamcast import games for $7 each, then a 25% sale discount. I also grabbed a Jaguar multitap for... some reason. Not like I have four controllers or any games that support it. Also the Game Gear version of one of my favorite Saturn puzzle games.

Family Arcade, home of expensive pinball and some of the worst arcade LCD conversions I've ever seen. Plus someone stole my wallet out of my bag while I was there. Welp.

The sign for World 8 caught my eye the night before so next day I went back to check it out and got Afterburner II, WildSnake, and Smartball.

Max Games turned out to be more of a repair shop than a store, and more of a pet store than a repair shop. I wouldn't want my console repaired in such a filthy store and the smell of bird poo poo stuck in my nostrils for hours. Don't go here.

Game Portal, a cool little store on the top floor of a mall in Burbank. They had a buy two get 1 sale on used games so I got some Sega CD, Genesis, and NES games, a repro of a really good $400 Game Boy game, and found the US version of Jet Coaster World after getting the JP version at Game Dude. Whoops.

Game Realms is also in Burbank and according to the guy at Game Portal was opened by some disgruntled former Game Dude employees who thought they could do better. They were closed on the 4th so I didn't get to find out.

It was a cool trip aside from the wallet thing and I hope to visit again soon :)

Game Dude is alright, but I'm really not a fan of how you buy games there. They insist that you use their paper listings that are woefully always outdated. So if you were hoping to get something decent, it's most likely already gone.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

xamphear posted:

That blog post sure did make an excellent mountain out of a molehill. Everything you use will eventually break and die. Entropy wins in the end, even without Flash Carts in the mix.

Enjoy your games. Even with the minor flaws that exist in the more popular flash carts, they are WAY more likely to suffer damage than the console is. And the console itself is most likely to develop issues in the power supply components, which are all easily replaced. A couple new caps and a 5v voltage regulator, no biggie.

If you want your console to last forever: Don't turn it on and seal it in a block of lucite.
If you want to enjoy your console: Accept that one day it's gonna break.

Life is change. Everything flows.
Namaste.

TRUMP!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Star Man posted:

Mega Man 7 and 8 aren't that bad, yeesh.

MM8 is fine, but 7 huffs turds.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Get four controllers and NBA Jam: Tournament Edition. If I remember correctly it's one of the best NBA Jam ports.

Ooh good idea. TE is one of my favorites on SNES but I've never seen the Jag version. I wanted to get at least one more controller anyway with the rotary dial mod for Tempest.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Game Dude is alright, but I'm really not a fan of how you buy games there. They insist that you use their paper listings that are woefully always outdated. So if you were hoping to get something decent, it's most likely already gone.

That part is annoying yeah but it's only for domestic games. Import stuff is priced on the item like a normal store or just same price for any game for a few consoles like Famicom and Dreamcast.

In Training posted:

MM8 is fine, but 7 huffs turds.

Really? I think 7 is my favorite classic Megaman game :v: What don't you like about it?

I used to play it a lot in middle school in Silhouette on the CRT imacs because it was one of the games that emulated best. I really love its art style.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Some things to note about Mega Man Legacy Collection 2:

-Using the PS1 version of Mega Man 8 as the base, so no extra content
-MM9 and MM10 have the DLC built-in, woo!
-MM7 has a graphic of the Famicom removed from a background

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Not that I have any desire to ever play it again, but was any reason given for the conspicuous absence of Mega Man & Bass?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Ambitious Spider posted:

bit late for the 8bitdo chat, but any opinions on the FC30 pro?

I have two. Fantastic D-pad & buttons but the analog sticks are so small it feels weird to use them to games that you have muscle memory for. Be willing to adapt.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Discount Viscount posted:

Some things to note about Mega Man Legacy Collection 2:

-Using the PS1 version of Mega Man 8 as the base, so no extra content
-MM9 and MM10 have the DLC built-in, woo!
-MM7 has a graphic of the Famicom removed from a background

also digital eclipse isn't doing it, so, fart noise

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

absolutely anything posted:

also digital eclipse isn't doing it, so, fart noise

I guess it's at least "Capcom internal" and not.. I dunno, whoever the gently caress Sega US keeps paying to do trash like Sega Forever.

e: It'll probably be a bit shite though

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's being produced by Capcom Japan but I'm certain the actual work is outsourced.

and yeah, for emphasis: Sega Forever is trash and I don't know how they managed to gently caress up something so simple.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Only Shallow posted:

the one in my living room

shelfmania :iidx:

what is your address and how sophisticated is your home security

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Only Shallow posted:

Awesome! Two of those places are from my childhood:

Game Dude was where I bought my copy of Link to the Past, WonderDog (SegaCD game for my sister, originally), and got my Model 2 Genesis. I actually live fairly close to it now, but I remember the pricing being out of whack so I can only imagine what it's like now.

The Family Arcade is owned by the FAC (a decent distributor of arcade games in LA, also the buildin at the corner to the left of TFA). In recent years its turned more towards those dumb catcher and Dave n Buster style games, but back in the day it had an impressive collection of stand ups. I'm talking old classics, DDR, the drat arm wrestling game, Virtual On, and the First Row fighter gallery that featured Big Screen Tv's and bitching speakers. Sucks about your wallet... even in the 90s it was kind if a sketch place due to the surrounding neighborhood.

A few doors down (at what is now a head shop or skate shop) was the College Arcade, which was where all the primo poo poo was. The Real gamers would camp there to do insane poo poo on the fighters, and there was usually a decent number of import games or just esoteric stuff that wouldn't fit at the Family Arcade. Being across from a decently sized community college helped, but the late 2000s saw the College Arcade flounder. The guy who ran it was kind of elderly (always had his two poodles up on the main counter) so I think he just decided to close up shop. It's a shame, because that was easily some of the best match watching I've seen.

Glad you came upon World 8, which is a newer addition to the LA game store community. The folks that run it break street date all the time, and they have a small but not terrible selection of old stuff and collectibles. They also do a little towards fostering community, with tournaments and Friday Night Fights for like $1. I think they just finished a remodel of the flagship store (the one on Vermont by Olympic).

Didn't know about the Burbank places. I'll have to check then out.

If you're ever in the area again, check out two of the Barcades that are decent:
Button Mash (in Silver Lake) has a restaurant attached to the bar so you can actually plop down and eat when you're done playing. It's got a great late 80s/early 90s vibe -- there's poo poo like small boom boxes, Mecco toys and other recognizable childhood cruft on the walls, and the bills all come in bad Young Adult paperback novels. They also curate the collection, so you get the large cabinet XMen game and TMNT arcade alongside SF2T, Paperboy, Tapper, NBA Jam and a few others, with a requisite row of Pinball games off to the side.

EIGHTYTWO, just off of Skid Row and Little Tokyo, is the place to go for expensive cocktails. They have a room just for pinball games / skiball, and their main area usually projects the image from the SSf2 cabinet so you can see some gaming while you wait at the bar. Food is not a thing there, they rely on food trucks and proximity to other restaurants, and the crowd skews a little towards the mid 20s hipster, but it's a decent afternoon regardless. The area is definitely... eclectic... with LA's most impoverished area just 2 blocks away, contrasted by artisanal pie shoppes and a bratwurst shack.

And if you happen to be in Glendale for some reason, the Vintage Arcade Superstore is a blue warehouse that takes in, repairs and sells cabinets. I believe they let you walk around, and might have a showroom area where you can play some of the games. You can also rent it out for birthdays.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 7, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Yea. Well idk about the magazine, but both Doom 32x and Doom SNES lack the side and back sprites for living monsters, even tho they had been partially implemented in earlier development.

This also breaks a lot of the monster infight function.

One other odd thing: SNES implemented Cyberdemon and Spiderdemon properly. Jag, 3do, 32x, GBA all miss it.

I found the back of the 32x box for Doom:

So yeah, false advertising!

I have no idea why I remember these things.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Only Shallow posted:

Ooh good idea. TE is one of my favorites on SNES but I've never seen the Jag version. I wanted to get at least one more controller anyway with the rotary dial mod for Tempest.

That part is annoying yeah but it's only for domestic games. Import stuff is priced on the item like a normal store or just same price for any game for a few consoles like Famicom and Dreamcast.

Really? I think 7 is my favorite classic Megaman game :v: What don't you like about it?

I used to play it a lot in middle school in Silhouette on the CRT imacs because it was one of the games that emulated best. I really love its art style.

I just really didn't like any of the levels, bosses or weapons, and that the scale is all huge and weird. Feels like a Game Boy game (which I think is because it was made by the mega man game boy people). 8 is at least interesting because of all the bad voice acting and the divergence from every other MM game by being able to purchase upgrades and what not. And it looks pretty nice in spots.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lmao at "virtual reality point of view"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I am looking to get a Pal Gamecube since I can use the HD Retrovision cables on it for RGB. I can order one of those from Amazon UK, but the problem now lays in the Action Replay. Do I need to find a Pal region Action Replay disc to use the Gameboy Interface?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you have a spare £500.00 laying around, Retrogames.co.uk just a sealed French PAL copy of Terranigma, still in its blisterpack with the guide.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

azurite posted:

Paging Monitor Burn, I knew you were interested in this as well:

In my never ending pursuit to find replacement AC adapters which are more efficient than their older counterparts, are smaller, supply more amperage (Everdrive), and won't burn your house down, I found another brand:

This one is center-positive, 9V, 2A, and UL Listed. It also comes with adapters so you can size down to a model 2 Genesis, 32X, or CDX.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8W9LQ7/

This is the center-negative PWR+ I've called out in the past. This will work with SMS, model 1 Genesis, Sega CD, and PC Engine. NES, SNES, and Turbografx probably work too, but please verify.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTI9CJ4/

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try these out. Still looking for a decent NA SNES power supply replacement because of that dumb proprietary plug.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Monitor Burn posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to try these out. Still looking for a decent NA SNES power supply replacement because of that dumb proprietary plug.

This will solve all your SNES power problems: https://console5.com/store/super-nintendo-snes-power-supply-adapter-plug-cable.html

I have one of these so I can use a single beefy +5v supply on as many consoles as possible.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

xamphear posted:

This will solve all your SNES power problems: https://console5.com/store/super-nintendo-snes-power-supply-adapter-plug-cable.html

I have one of these so I can use a single beefy +5v supply on as many consoles as possible.

I haven't had much luck with those unfortunately. I ordered several a few months ago and they don't make proper contact to any of my adapters, and lose the power connection if I glance at them.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Monitor Burn posted:

I haven't had much luck with those unfortunately. I ordered several a few months ago and they don't make proper contact to any of my adapters, and lose the power connection if I glance at them.

Bummer, I wonder if there is a bad batch. Or maybe you're using a supply that's actually 2.5mm ID and not 2.1mm? That would explain the looseness.

Since you have a couple, you could try using a tiny screwdriver to pry up the metal tab to see if that increases the tension and contact on the center pin.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rirse posted:

So I am looking to get a Pal Gamecube since I can use the HD Retrovision cables on it for RGB. I can order one of those from Amazon UK, but the problem now lays in the Action Replay. Do I need to find a Pal region Action Replay disc to use the Gameboy Interface?

Do you have an older Wii and Smash Bros Melee? You can load a broken save into Melee and use that as your boot disk instead if you can find that easier.

Whoever does the coding for Smash Bros should probably be fired since you can use every game in the franchise to load homebrew.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Do you have an older Wii and Smash Bros Melee? You can load a broken save into Melee and use that as your boot disk instead if you can find that easier.

Whoever does the coding for Smash Bros should probably be fired since you can use every game in the franchise to load homebrew.

This is what I do. Easier to get the required equipment and works really well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

I got a launch Wii, but my disc drive broke. :smith:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You shouldn't need a working disk drive to hack the Wii at this point.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

You shouldn't need a working disk drive to hack the Wii at this point.

Oh my Wii is long been hacked. I just can't use a Gamecube disc on it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rirse posted:

Oh my Wii is long been hacked. I just can't use a Gamecube disc on it anymore.

Right but all you need is a GC Memory card to load the exploit onto via a Wii and then use the card on the Gamecube.

• Locked thread