Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
So I'm looking to form the Netherlands as Burgundy and I just want to check/confirm that if I vassalise Lorraine and give them my French land, they/I will get to keep it when tag switching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CountFosco posted:

Anyone have a good opening strategy for Mamluks now that you can no longer build a quick early navy to stick their army on the other side of the bosporus?

Assuming you mean "good strategy to cripple the Ottomans" I don't think there's any magic bullet, you just need to stop them from expanding. So conquer the Beyliks, guarantee Byzantium, etc.

You have a cav power NI so you might want to go cavalry heavy if you can afford it to make up for Anatolian troops being bullshit in the early game.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Anybody interested in trying out all the crazy new custom nation options in multiplayer? If so, there's a weekly game starting July 13th. Our regular Saturday game may also be doing custom nations at some point, if Thursday doesn't work for you. Post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773305&pagenumber=21#post473997591

Orbs fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 7, 2017

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

tqilamknbrd posted:

So I'm looking to form the Netherlands as Burgundy and I just want to check/confirm that if I vassalise Lorraine and give them my French land, they/I will get to keep it when tag switching?

I don't think so. The Form Netherlands decision includes not only this:
code:
if = {
				limit = {
					tag = BUR
					exists = FRA
				}
	  			france_region = {
					limit = {
						owned_by = BUR
					}
	  				remove_core = BUR
	  				add_core = FRA
	  				cede_province = FRA
	  			}
but also this:

code:
if = {
				limit = {
					tag = BUR
					exists = FRA
					BUR = {
						any_subject_country = {
							france_region = {
								owned_by = PREV
							}
						}
					}
				}
				every_subject_country = {
					limit = {
						france_region = {
							owned_by = PREV
						}
					}
					france_region = {
						limit = {
							owned_by = PREV
						}
						remove_core = BUR
						remove_core = PREV
						add_core = FRA
						cede_province = FRA
					}
				}
	  		}
I'm not an expert on reading this, but I'm pretty sure that will cede any province in the French region owned by Burgundy or a subject of Burgundy to France.

The only way around this would be making the exists = FRA statement false.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
All the more reason to always play as holland rather than burgandy

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Drakhoran posted:

I'm not an expert on reading this, but I'm pretty sure that will cede any province in the French region owned by Burgundy or a subject of Burgundy to France.

The only way around this would be making the exists = FRA statement false.

Yeah, this also sort of spoiled my fun. I mean, if I get to the point where FRA = False then I've already won the game before I can form Netherlands and not give up half my country. I feel like the event should give France claims/cores on the land, but not force cede it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Become emperor, release it to independent member states?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

huh.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

oh god ck2 is leaking

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Futuresight posted:

My current run is a This is Persia run where I'm planning on forming Persia... as the Ottomans cause it's cheeky and I've already done the Taberestan->Persia one. Also uniting islam because the last time I did that there was no achievement for it.

Today I learned that Ottomans are excluded from most if not all decisions to form nations. Oh well, I united Islam at least. :banjo:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Futuresight posted:

Today I learned that Ottomans are excluded from most if not all decisions to form nations. Oh well, I united Islam at least. :banjo:

...huh. I worked for me back in 1.19.

Also just had a France start where England pulls 42k troops out of its butt, my kickass generals immediately die, their generals live, lovely rolls leading to a bunch of losses, and must poor luck in general. I had to white peace out of the hundred year war. Ugh.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I haven't played since 1.19, any big issues with the current patch? I heard AI-player diplomacy is/was broken?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

James The 1st posted:

I haven't played since 1.19, any big issues with the current patch? I heard AI-player diplomacy is/was broken?

China is now pretty much unstoppable, but as long as you don't have Mandate of Heaven, you can just sort of avoid the area. AI-player diplomacy was never really as broken as everyone said, and is more or less completely fixed now.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It's not as stable as you'd hope honestly, I haven't played through a campaign in the current patch without at least one CTD. But no major gameplay bugs. China stuff is a bit dumb but working as (dumbly) intended.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

China stuff is working as intended only if you buy the dlc.

Between 1.19 and now Hungary got some events and you don't have to manually reassign (I think) diplomats building spy networks. Forts have been somewhat fixed. That's all that happened.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

AnoHito posted:

China is now pretty much unstoppable, but as long as you don't have Mandate of Heaven, you can just sort of avoid the area. AI-player diplomacy was never really as broken as everyone said, and is more or less completely fixed now.

It was pretty stupid when you got -50 to making alliances because you already had all your diplomatic relations slots filled (because the player is smart enough to try to pick up a new ally before ditching an old one)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

RabidWeasel posted:

It was pretty stupid when you got -50 to making alliances because you already had all your diplomatic relations slots filled (because the player is smart enough to try to pick up a new ally before ditching an old one)

OPMs were pretty unplayable but it's fine now. -20 isn't a big deal and it seems AI nations no longer bust rear end to fill their relations slots to max the instant you unpause regardless of politics or goals.

China is ultra stupid though WAD. It's unfortunately just not good design and detracts from both the fun and realism of pretty large swaths of Asia. I'd recommend just not playing with that expansion unless you specifically want to play a horde neighboring Ming and follow a very specific set of goals/rules to beat up on them, which can be fun exactly 1 time if you like following FAQs.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 6, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

-20 is deffo a big deal when you've done everything you can to get a royal marriage/alliance and are still -19 reasons away

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

One thing I actually kind of like about that modifier is that it encourages you to use RMs to 'reserve' an alliance slot for later, though admittedly a lot of the time if you can't make an alliance you can't make an RM either.

E: If you declare war for reconquest of your vassal's cores and you also have a different vassal occupy their own cores in the same war do those provinces also count as CB-enabled provinces in the peace deal?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 6, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

One thing I actually kind of like about that modifier is that it encourages you to use RMs to 'reserve' an alliance slot for later, though admittedly a lot of the time if you can't make an alliance you can't make an RM either.

E: If you declare war for reconquest of your vassal's cores and you also have a different vassal occupy their own cores in the same war do those provinces also count as CB-enabled provinces in the peace deal?

Last time I tried this I learned that you can't take those additional cores without paying Diplo and a ton of AE, like normal, but if you use the Return Core menu then everything is good. This might have been unintentional though and it was a couple of patches ago

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Last time I tried this I learned that you can't take those additional cores without paying Diplo and a ton of AE, like normal, but if you use the Return Core menu then everything is good. This might have been unintentional though and it was a couple of patches ago

I wasn't expecting that trick to work but I'm planning ahead in my current game and there's the possibility to feed like 3 vassals at once but there's no point if I don't get a discount, it's easier to just conquer everything since none of the vassals are of any significant size by themselves.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^Yeah you have to return core to the vassals using that menu, it's always worked out for me but it's possible theres some sort of conflict if both vassals have cores?

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Futuresight posted:

You just gotta form Romania or Croatia first to get around that.
Here is my Ottomans -> Romania -> Greece -> Byzantium -> Roman Empire:

bonus fun:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

aqu posted:

bonus fun:

I, uh, what?!? You develop the poo poo out of Romania, then Greece?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Just de-state everywhere except romania, then re-state greece.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

aqu posted:

Awesome tip. Just went Ottomans -> Croatia -> Greece -> Persia. The most historical game of EU4.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Brandenburg 100 Trust, Pommerania 100 Trust, Alsace 100 Trust, Austria 100 Trust, Switzerland 85 Trust .....
"Switzerland asks you for your help in their war that they started against Austria"
gently caress YOU.

Worst part was that it was an unwinnable war for them to begin with, stupid AI has no clue when to take advantage of ongoing wars and when not. Also stupid Austria for not calling me into their first war and blocking me from Switzerland's CTA.

How did you guys get the 5x 100 Trust achievement? I've tried so many times and I inevitably end up at war with one of my allies because of a lovely CTA.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Brandenburg 100 Trust, Pommerania 100 Trust, Alsace 100 Trust, Austria 100 Trust, Switzerland 85 Trust .....
"Switzerland asks you for your help in their war that they started against Austria"
gently caress YOU.

Worst part was that it was an unwinnable war for them to begin with, stupid AI has no clue when to take advantage of ongoing wars and when not. Also stupid Austria for not calling me into their first war and blocking me from Switzerland's CTA.

How did you guys get the 5x 100 Trust achievement? I've tried so many times and I inevitably end up at war with one of my allies because of a lovely CTA.

In the late stage of the game, ally some lovely OPM's and give them a dozen provinces in a peace deal. Combined with your 1 or 2 allies sinces 1444, it should be fine.

Edit: or better, release as a vassal, and release completely a province you have of which the tag has many cores.

OperaMouse fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 7, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Maps are still supposed to spread across tech groups, right? As Ottomans I still can't see a lot of the New World and the Pacific Ocean, even though it's 1775 and England colonized that poo poo ages ago.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

reignonyourparade posted:

Just de-state everywhere except romania, then re-state greece.

Alternatively activate Cossacks and culture convert to non-main culture.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

aqu posted:

bonus fun:

Nice, I approve

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wonder what religion Aqu's Rome is...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

almost certainly coptic

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It's a religion whose gimmick is:
-Paint the map
-Profit

Yeah, a little more specific, but the main jist is Coptic rewards conquering directly.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Forming Byzantium require the Orthodox religion, though. Of course he could go Coptic after tag switching.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Orthodox is pretty good at the moment with the new Icons mechanic

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished my first complete game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vILwGNy3ams

I spent the first couple of hundred years trying to reform the HRE, before I realized that it was hopeless.

The highlight was probably a hellwar I had with Ottomans, with 1.5 million casualties. I won, but it left me 10k in debt. Worth it. The last 50 or so years I was snowballing pretty hard - I had +200ish income and basically unlimited manpower.

My only regret is not finishing mopping up the HRE minors - Saxony spent most of the game as Emperor, and was allied with France. I didn't really feel like going to war with half the HRE and loving France to mop up a two-province minor.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Maps are still supposed to spread across tech groups, right? As Ottomans I still can't see a lot of the New World and the Pacific Ocean, even though it's 1775 and England colonized that poo poo ages ago.

Maps do still spread like that afaik, but Ottos are in the Anatolian tech group, not western or eastern, so English knowledge won't spread to you. Hoovering up the Anatolian minors means you can't get any spread at all

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Allyn posted:

Maps do still spread like that afaik, but Ottos are in the Anatolian tech group, not western or eastern, so English knowledge won't spread to you. Hoovering up the Anatolian minors means you can't get any spread at all

Huh, that's odd. I recall getting free maps of the New World (and Africa and Europe) as an Asian power. Why would Chinese tech be eligible for spread but not Anatolian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
any tips for dithmarshen? The cheev seems pretty easy but I dont usually play in the HRE. What are the do's and dont's?

• Locked thread