Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAX2H0hpOc4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I know it's like baby's first vr, but I picked up the 2017 Gear VR thing for cheap money to use with my S8+, is there any cool poo poo I can check out?

I'd suggest Smashhit, and Tacteragame, both are free but fun and show off some cool things you can do in VR. I'd suggest using the controller just so you don't have to tap your forehead constantly. The trigger acts like the forehead tap.

I've never played it but in the early days Darknet seemed to get a lot of good buzz.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Darknet (for PSVR at least) is pretty chill. You'll definitely need a controller, though.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

NRVNQSR posted:

Possibly not all that useful to you unless you got the pack that includes it, but I recently picked up Samsung's GearVR controller. It's not terrible? Obviously a gyroscope controller can't even begin to compare with a proper tracked controller, but it's a passable pointing device and it helps a lot with making the GearVR feel immersive rather than just like a round screen.

So far I've played Daedelus with it, which is a simplistic puzzle game with jetpack locomotion. It worked pretty well; having very precise motion control over your movement helped a lot with making it comfortable.

Whoever's currently losing the console war is always pro-crossplay, because it means that new customers can pick the less popular console and still be able to play with their friends. Whoever's currently winning the console war is always anti-crossplay for exactly the same reasons.

It should go without saying that Sony are currently winning the console war. Fortunately they realised that crossplay for PSVR was important enough to change their policy, since VR multiplayer isn't going to survive without it.

Yea I got the thing that has the controller, though my understanding is there isn't a whole lot out there that supports it.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, gonna check this poo poo out tonight.

Edit: I don't suppose the switch pro controller would work with my phone and gear VR?

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Hello VR thread! Me and my friends just put our first HTC Vive-based VR title out on Steam in early access, and in the time honoured tradition of "being a goon who makes stuff" I am here to hand out free keys!

I have six copies of our game Eye of Odin to give away; the first six people to post an email address* in this thread will have a Steam key sent to them as soon as I'm able.

You can see more information about the game here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/601330/Eye_of_Odin/ It's a fairly simple tower defense-seque game; wave-based enemies, fixed-location teleport movement, etc. Nothing amazing or groundbreaking but I genuinely think it's fun and hopefully some of you will too. Hopefully everyone who picks up a key will enjoy!

* We aren't keeping or saving these email addresses in any fashion, and you're more than welcome to use a throwaway/temporary address; I'm personally a fan of throwawaymail.com

EDIT: Keys gone!

Correnth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 7, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Correnth posted:

I have six copies of our game Eye of Odin to give away; the first six people to post an email address* in this thread will have a Steam key sent to them as soon as I'm able.

I'll try it out, thanks!

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 7, 2017

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Sure, I would take one.

Edit: thanks :)

metztli fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 7, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Correnth posted:

Hello VR thread! Me and my friends just put our first HTC Vive-based VR title out on Steam in early access, and in the time honoured tradition of "being a goon who makes stuff" I am here to hand out free keys!

You can see more information about the game here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/601330/Eye_of_Odin/ It's a fairly simple tower defense-seque game; wave-based enemies, fixed-location teleport movement, etc. Nothing amazing or groundbreaking but I genuinely think it's fun and hopefully some of you will too. Hopefully everyone who picks up a key will enjoy!

* We aren't keeping or saving these email addresses in any fashion, and you're more than welcome to use a throwaway/temporary address; I'm personally a fan of throwawaymail.com
Hi my email address is homeless@snail.moe I will play your very cool game thank you

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
[redacted] I’ll take a copy!

Thank you so much!

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 7, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I like tower defense and would happily give your game a try sean@seanharlow.info

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I do not want a key, but it's cool you are giving them away.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004
I'll happily take one if you still have any available!

edit: Thanks for the key!

My Girlfriend's Account fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 7, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Correnth posted:

tradracleh@ibsats.com

if you feel like giving away seven :)

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

tradracleh@ibsats.com

if you feel like giving away seven :)

yeah alright sure why not ;)

And that's it! Keys are all gone - Again hopefully you guys enjoy. We don't have many other outlets for communicating with players so if anyone has any thoughts or feedback they want to post here they'll definitely be read/discussed/etc. etc. Thanks once more!

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yup yup echo arena has me in the market for dog leashes

Time to expand my playspace yup yup

The Walrus posted:

Raw Data PVP beta goes live today too, but you need to own the game and opt in. From what I've heard about the closed beta it is extremely good and a killer app for VR. Overwatch inspired design apparently though I'm not sure how far that goes.

I'll be playing this and echo arena all day tomorrow, vr goons should meet up.

Ooh drat perfect timing, def gonna try this out. Gonna start adding folks in the discord too.

TheKnife posted:

Are there any VR games like Receiver yet? Something highly skill-based with pseudo-random content and intricate mechanics
Robo Recall is really cool as an FPS action kind of experience but it A) is way too easy, is it even possible to lose in this game? and B) feels like a bit of a "canned" experience compared to what I like in video games, as freeform as the combat is.

This is like what I was saying about people playing Superhot like a Videogame and then someone else wondering if there are games that make you crouch. You're in VR, your body is tracked relatively well, and you can interact with enemies in enough ways that the (virtual) world is your oyster.

Grab a bot. Dribble him for a little bit. Shoot his friends with your other hand in the style of a gangster, perhaps even with the gun upside down. Go crazy straw. When the gun's empty, slap him across the face a few times with it while inquiring about his mother, then throw the gun between your legs, bouncing it off the ground and into the bot sprinting in behind you to trip him. Rip the head and or arms off the bot you were dribbling and turn to babe ruth the poo poo out of the bot you just tripped before he hits the ground, then grab the gun that bounced off him (now reloaded) and send an angel a bullet :ssh: to meet him in the outfield for good measure. Duck the hail of bullets inevitably headed for you (or bat them away disdainfully with your gun) while picking two them out of the air like shiny cherries and throw them across your chest at dudes directly to your sides while leaning backwards and drunken master punching the bot coming up from behind in the nuts, then grab his gun and or leg and

Look into Bullets and More if you like Receiver and reloading guns manually, the dev responds and updates it like a crazy person and it has this weird little community churning out singleplayer content that really stretches the value of the game out (+ a barebones dungeon generator). When it was on sale for about $8 it was a steal imo.

Also Gorn.

Even janky VR is... better than a videogame. Right now the idea of "challenge" in VR is either going to be extremely narrow or asking to be cheesed. If you want to build and test a skill then try PVP (Pavlov, Onward) or let style be your guide! Don't restrict yourself to Videogame thinking!

Oh wow I had no idea, ty sir (this should go in the OP!)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea I got the thing that has the controller, though my understanding is there isn't a whole lot out there that supports it.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, gonna check this poo poo out tonight.

Edit: I don't suppose the switch pro controller would work with my phone and gear VR?

According to a quick google search, apparently the pro controller can be used with windows/android or whatever.

EDIT: Lol it looks like even the joy-cons work as well? Thats kind of funny.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 8, 2017

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Just played my first 45 minutes of Super Hot. It lived up to the name, and could even be called Super Sweaty. If I didn't have a habit of occasionally smacking the ceiling fan, it would be on right now. Maybe I need to bring a regular fan into the room.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

mellowjournalism posted:

This is like what I was saying about people playing Superhot like a Videogame and then someone else wondering if there are games that make you crouch. You're in VR, your body is tracked relatively well, and you can interact with enemies in enough ways that the (virtual) world is your oyster.

Grab a bot. Dribble him for a little bit. Shoot his friends with your other hand in the style of a gangster, perhaps even with the gun upside down.

One of the first things I did in Robo Recall was use the front handle on a bot to pull it down to its knees while I stood in front of it, pressed a gun to its head in a very deliberate fashion and pulled the trigger. It felt horribly brutal and incredibly satisfying as opposed to a canned animation, since you're the one responsible for all the events taking place.

Also when I play Gorn I do so in a very measured gladiator style with lots of blocking and parrying with my weapon, whereas my girlfriend is a flailing banshee and both styles work wonderfully. I can't wait to revisit it on the 10th

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you find a reliable friend you can launch off each other and ride each other along with the disc all the way to the goal

It is beautiful

https://clips.twitch.tv/PluckyTsundereDoveMcaT

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm real bad at that game, I can't even get out the launch tube by the time someone's scored. The real bad performance problems I'm having probably aren't helping though, guessing its revive's fault

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If there are any specific issues you're having, or even general performance problems, check the Echo Arena discord, the devs have been troubleshooting issues in the Revive channel

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

homeless snail posted:

I'm real bad at that game, I can't even get out the launch tube by the time someone's scored. The real bad performance problems I'm having probably aren't helping though, guessing its revive's fault

This may sound dumb but do you have the latest version of revive? The dev released an updated version during the last beta that fixed a jittering performance issue with lone echo, so if you're still on an older build thats likely it. Also turning off async reprojection and turning it to always on reprojection I've heard can fix that as well if you haven't already tried that.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Echo Arena is really fun but I am having a problem with Revive. It ignores the controllers as far as turning on the chaperone walls. If I get my head close to a wall they appear but I can touch the walls of my office with the controllers without the chaperone walls appearing. I can't really play like this because I am beating the gently caress out of my walls. Anyone have any advice?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, use Advanced Settings and turn on forced bounds and a centre marker.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, use Advanced Settings and turn on forced bounds and a centre marker.

Thanks that helped a ton.

edit - I might as well talk about Echo Arena. This game has sold me on VR actually being a serious thing for gaming. All the other games I have played I would eventually get sick, or they weren't really full games. This is really well done, somehow the zero-G aspect of it fools me into not feeling like I am falling. I started out so bad I couldn't get out down the tube before the 15-second countdown was over. 3 hours later I am comfortable jetting in reverse and actually feeling like teamwork means something. This would be crazy for e-sports.

Shemp the Stooge fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 8, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GI_Clutch posted:

Just played my first 45 minutes of Super Hot. It lived up to the name, and could even be called Super Sweaty. If I didn't have a habit of occasionally smacking the ceiling fan, it would be on right now. Maybe I need to bring a regular fan into the room.

The first weekend after I bought my Rift, I went out and bought a new light fixture and fancy floor fan to replace my ceiling fan that I punched about a dozen times. No regrets.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Correnth posted:

yeah alright sure why not ;)

And that's it! Keys are all gone - Again hopefully you guys enjoy. We don't have many other outlets for communicating with players so if anyone has any thoughts or feedback they want to post here they'll definitely be read/discussed/etc. etc. Thanks once more!

Thanks. I was kind of drunk when I got home last night so I only ended up playing the tutorial level so far, but here are my thoughts at this point:

The main menu environment looks nice. Not really a fan of actually having to touch the button, I prefer "laser pointer" style menu interactions but that's a personal preference thing.

The orbs aren't immediately clear that they're controls. You explain them a bit in to the tutorial, but we're required to use them before that point.

Throwing the fireballs was incredibly wonky and rarely worked well for me. More often than not they seemed to just fall out no matter how fast I was swinging or at what point I released. The other two weapons worked well. I recorded myself playing so if it doesn't sound too stupid I'll upload it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I know there's a good game in Echo Arena but I can't for the life of me enjoy it with a vire attached to me. If I think about it I barely move for fear of twisting it. If I try and not think about it and lose myself in the game I'll twist it hard enough it unplugs itself from the cablebox.

:smith:

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Zsinjeh posted:

I know there's a good game in Echo Arena but I can't for the life of me enjoy it with a vire attached to me. If I think about it I barely move for fear of twisting it. If I try and not think about it and lose myself in the game I'll twist it hard enough it unplugs itself from the cablebox.

Seriously, set up an overhead rig. I jump, spin, drop, and generally dance around like an idiot and everything is groovy.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Zsinjeh posted:

You aren't wrong. While playing I noticed a huge amount of my attention was being directed to cable management. I still really like the game but it would be so much better with a wireless solution. I only unplugged my headset once during a match today. I also apparently favor turning in one direction because at one point I hand to stand and spin to the left like 20 times to untangle my cord.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

metztli posted:

Seriously, set up an overhead rig. I jump, spin, drop, and generally dance around like an idiot and everything is groovy.
I saw your solution now going back, I might look into that. The dog leash thing was a smart move. I have super high ceiling though, will be tough to get a good mount

fake edit: Whoa, this looks like an awesome setup for my situation!
http://techblog.steelseries.com/2016/05/11/ikeasavedmefromdyinginvr.html

e: Also I know this is due to matchmaking/how MP games usually are but it sure loving sucks when you're stuck on a team with all newbies (me included) playing against rank 11+ players

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 8, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zsinjeh posted:

How is Twisting a problem? The cable is super long.

I'm twisting and shouting all day long and I've never had any problems at all?? Where is your cablebox??

Maybe try reinforcing the connection or something? IDK duct tape that poo poo to a desk or something, get creative.

Zsinjeh posted:

If I think about it I barely move for fear of twisting it.

:psyduck:

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

Thanks. I was kind of drunk when I got home last night so I only ended up playing the tutorial level so far, but here are my thoughts at this point:

The main menu environment looks nice. Not really a fan of actually having to touch the button, I prefer "laser pointer" style menu interactions but that's a personal preference thing.

The orbs aren't immediately clear that they're controls. You explain them a bit in to the tutorial, but we're required to use them before that point.

Throwing the fireballs was incredibly wonky and rarely worked well for me. More often than not they seemed to just fall out no matter how fast I was swinging or at what point I released. The other two weapons worked well. I recorded myself playing so if it doesn't sound too stupid I'll upload it.

Thank you for playing and checking it out, sincerely; this is the first piece of feedback we've gotten, so it genuinely is appreciated. =D

First, glad you like the environment in the main area - It is *highly* under construction and unfinished, but it's a rough idea of where we want to work toward. The eventual goal is to have the big tree (Yggdrasil) nearby visibly returning to life as you complete missions, sprouting leaves and the like; everything that's in that environment is temporary at the moment, though, and slated to be changed/replaced eventually. I'll bring up the 'laser pointer vs. touch' thing next team meeting we have, as I think that might be a good point for change.

Good point on the orbs; those are meant to be temporary and replaced with something more noticeable in the future, but I hadn't thought about the fact that we deploy them prior to explaining them in the tutorial. I'll put some thought into that.

The fireballs.... we've done one live demo of the game prior to launch (at GDC this year) and the fireballs seem to be a thing that people either naturally 'get' right away or they don't. The #1 issue most people seemed to have was not letting go of the fireball earlier in the throw; you're kinda going for a wrist-snap motion right *after* you let go of the trigger, just prior the height of the throwing arc. It's less "throw" and more of a "sling", if that makes any sense. It's one of those things we're just going to have to keep an eye on and see how many people take to it vs. those that don't; either maybe we can figure out a better way of explaining the control or, if we end up with enough people not being able to use it properly, look into larger changes.

If you have a recording of you playing I'd love to see it, so please feel free to share. Watching people interact with our game is always a valuable learning experience. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts - As said you're our first review, so we'll probably print your post out and tape it on the office wall or something, as proof we made a game and someone actually did play it once. ;)

Correnth fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 8, 2017

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Use cable extenders!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fooz posted:

Use cable extenders!

Yeah, I got those 6 foot is/HDMI extenders you linked and I only have to unspin the cable every so often, the wire hasn't been an issue for me

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Echo Arena is fun but the movement is weird. I get a delay when I grab onto anything before I can push off. There's like a half second where your hand does a 'pressing on' animation and you're stuck on the object until it completes. It's a little thing but it pretty much literally ruins the game for me.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

Zsinjeh posted:

fake edit: Whoa, this looks like an awesome setup for my situation!
http://techblog.steelseries.com/2016/05/11/ikeasavedmefromdyinginvr.html

Let us know how that works if you try it - I wonder how stable the base will be if you pull etc. Hm or you could attach a retractable to that and maybe get the best of both worlds, if you find yourself pulling it off balance.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

Echo Arena is fun but the movement is weird. I get a delay when I grab onto anything before I can push off. There's like a half second where your hand does a 'pressing on' animation and you're stuck on the object until it completes. It's a little thing but it pretty much literally ruins the game for me.

I don't get that at all, maybe post something in the discord? A dev might be able to help you troubleshoot

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

I don't get that at all, maybe post something in the discord? A dev might be able to help you troubleshoot

so you can chain grab positions easily like the zero gravity sections in climbey? I'll have to do that.

edit: hybrid control mode in revive was the culprit

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Songbearer posted:

One of the first things I did in Robo Recall was use the front handle on a bot to pull it down to its knees while I stood in front of it, pressed a gun to its head in a very deliberate fashion and pulled the trigger. It felt horribly brutal and incredibly satisfying as opposed to a canned animation, since you're the one responsible for all the events taking place.

Also when I play Gorn I do so in a very measured gladiator style with lots of blocking and parrying with my weapon, whereas my girlfriend is a flailing banshee and both styles work wonderfully. I can't wait to revisit it on the 10th

lmbo ok that''s brutal, going into the playbook.

I think I was real lucky that I first played Gorn right after learning all the movesets for the characters in For Honor because it got me to break out of my initial mode and act out completely different fight styles and attitudes. Just realized now I have to go in and do every character from Soul Calibur..

GI_Clutch posted:

I was going to play some echo arena last night but it was too hot for vr

you might even say it was

super hot

I'll let myself out