Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Where do you see people being surprised? No one is bamboozled over why queue times are long, they're offering what they see as potential solutions.

I mean this has been a problem since what? 2007? Whenever WoW finally got a dungeon finder. If a solution hasn't been found since then I don't think throwing ideas out into the void of the internet on something awful dot com is going to lead anywhere, even if everyone were in unanimous agreement.

Harrow posted:

Oh good, the "maybe don't play a job you find fun and instead play a different job :smug:" solution.

It is however the only solution pitched here that will actually get you results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Minrad posted:

the funnest part of dps to me is spending 25 minutes posting about how long my queues are

it gives me a lot of time to work on my shitpost rotations and think about how my queue could be shorter

I don't exclusively play DPS. If someone does, I don't think they deserve to have a shittier time with the game. Somehow that makes me the shitposting one.

Velthice posted:

It is however the only solution pitched here that will actually get you results.

Nah, "join an FC" is a good step, too, which is something I pointed out a few posts ago. Actually taking the time to be social and not relying solely on the Duty Finder means that you're less likely to end up in a DPS queue in the first place. It's not the right solution for everyone, though, nor is "just play a tank or healer," and I'm sorry if throwing around ideas for things SE could do to make the game more fun for people who are unwilling/unable to do either of those things is annoying.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

SonicRulez posted:

Right, the missing mentor. Jeez, how many class quests have a missing mentor? All of them?

The SAM quests end with us killing our mentor and his only other student. Not sure what we'll end up doing in the next expansion.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DPS queues and wanting to occasionally sub out and actually smack things are why I initially switched from white mage to scholar.

Free summoners are the best.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Harrow posted:

Oh good, the "maybe don't play a job you find fun and instead play a different job :smug:" solution.

This seems like the way to go imho

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Rhonne posted:

The SAM quests end with us killing our mentor and his only other student. Not sure what we'll end up doing in the next expansion.

Maybe it'll be like PLD 50-60 where you are the mentor to some other person.

I remember LNC 1-30. Such a slog to do only for it to be completely meaningless now. This reminds me that there are quite a number of rear end in a top hat lancers. That elf, Laurentius, Estinhogg

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Notable job quests, having recently finally finished all of the Heavensward job quests: the 58 DRK quest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think part of why the Dark Knight questlines work so well is that they feel integrated into the main story, up to and including closing off or addressing plot beats that the main story left open. A lot of the other questlines are almost entirely divorced from the plot and it feels understandable (they don't know when you're doing a lot of them) the Dark Knight stuff actually feels like it's dealing with the WoL and their history and not that you happened to get thrown a katana or having some rear end in a top hat tell you how lovely you are as an archer despite you killing several dozen godlike beings. The ending of the 70 plotline in particular just feels satisfying and worthwhile.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I think they should do a whole Yojimbo (the film) thing with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Maybe it'll be like PLD 50-60 where you are the mentor to some other person.

I like that aspect of the RDM quests post-60, where you and your mentor work together to mentor a younger Red Mage. It gets derailed by more pressing concerns, but it's a nice group dynamic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Minrad posted:

they should add a weekly capped currency to exdr, exchangeable for the best gear. this might make people run it.

"ah, but people will only run it once a day then" you might say

and yes, that IS how duty roulette works...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I still think the RDM quest should have unique dialogue if you have whm and blm leveled to 50+. Better still if that included paladin. "so let me get this straight, you're a grand master of Magic and swordplay, but bet you never thought to combine them?! No wonder eorzea is such a poo poo show."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Red Magic isn't really about combining multiple disciplines, but more about entirely different uses of Aether. BLM/WHM draw in ambient aether from the world, or the void or whatever. RDM uses their own, which is traditionally very dangerous, and focuses it through a new tool to make it usable.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Nah, "join an FC" is a good step, too, which is something I pointed out a few posts ago. Actually taking the time to be social and not relying solely on the Duty Finder means that you're less likely to end up in a DPS queue in the first place. It's not the right solution for everyone, though, nor is "just play a tank or healer," and I'm sorry if throwing around ideas for things SE could do to make the game more fun for people who are unwilling/unable to do either of those things is annoying.

joining an fc is a good step, and so is being social. I can't tell you how many times I've approved apps to pbc only to see the person give an inaugural "hi" and then never be heard from ever again, that's if they even bother to say anything at all. Seems like an odd choice to join a guild of 500 dudes and not interact with them in any way. ANYWAY, other point being, if you feel you've got a decent idea, you're better off posting it somewhere that's actually in SE's rolodex, official forums, reddit, maybe some third website the bother to look at (it's probably just those first two though)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Red Magic isn't really about combining multiple disciplines, but more about entirely different uses of Aether. BLM/WHM draw in ambient aether from the world, or the void or whatever. RDM uses their own, which is traditionally very dangerous, and focuses it through a new tool to make it usable.

I like that they sort of represent this in gameplay terms, too. Red Mages use their own aether to cast spells, and to do that without killing themselves they need to draw very little and amplify it with an outside tool. So Red Mage spells have really low MP costs relative to other casters because they draw less aether, but because you're not drawing aether from any outside source, your methods for restoring your MP are really limited (specifically, limited to a role skill).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Speaking of extra dialogue, I forgot to ask after I got through it. How's the Steppe if you're a dragon?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

Speaking of extra dialogue, I forgot to ask after I got through it. How's the Steppe if you're a dragon?

I think they mention "even if you're not from here, one of your ancestors was" and that's it

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rip fracture

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Dark Knights have the best stories/lore. The fact that the first one was just some guy that ran around killing pedophiles in the totally not Catholic Church analog is an amazing origin story for a class. We can only presume he did it wearing jet black armor and yelling darkness, DARKNESS!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kupo Nuts needs to be changed to Cracked Clusters

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

Dark Knights have the best stories/lore. The fact that the first one was just some guy that ran around killing pedophiles in the totally not Catholic Church analog is an amazing origin story for a class. We can only presume he did it wearing jet black armor and yelling darkness, DARKNESS!

You actually meet him in one of the SB drk quests. his armor is sufficiently dark and edgy

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Velthice posted:

WoW gave bags of swag to try and incentivize tanks and healers queuing and it still didn't really make a difference. The plight of dps queues is eternal, absolute, one of the supreme laws of the universe.

This isn't true, or at least it wasn't when Legion launched: on my warrior I would queue as dps if the tank bag wasn't available and consistently get in well under 5 minutes. I even saw dps listed as the bonus role at least once

I'm sure it helps that WoW groups have three dps instead of two but people want those loot bags

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 7, 2017

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

wow dps queues have pretty much always been much faster.

edit: by always I mean wod and legion whenever I play

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Flavahbeast posted:

This isn't true, or at least it wasn't when Legion launched: on my warrior I would queue as dps if the tank bag wasn't available and consistently get in under 5 minutes. I'm sure it helps that WoW groups have three dps instead of two but people want those loot bags

legion also introduced a new class that was capable of tanking

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sotar posted:

Yo goons, when you hit the 70 MSQ trial, yell in FC chat to get a goon group, because pubbies seriously suck at it.

Also, be sure to complete your job quests. You get left side 290 gear and a weapon.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't think that I'd queue multiple times a day just to get the bags, but the allure of the mystery box is undeniable and it would make me enjoy my one daily run that much more

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
personally I think queues could have been better if they didn't add two dps jobs that everyone really wants to play without adding a cool tank or healer that people also want to really play.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Velthice posted:

personally I think queues could have been better if they didn't add two dps jobs that everyone really wants to play without adding a cool tank or healer that people also want to really play.

Almost certainly, yes. Add to that the, uh, controversial changes to WAR and SCH, and the whole tank damage thing, and I'm not surprised the number of tank/healer players spending their time playing SAM or RDM is higher than SE expected.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

SonicRulez posted:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Hmmm, Well then. An alternative to hunts for my rank 6 materia needs? I'll take it!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

legion also introduced a new class that was capable of tanking

They've never added a new class that wasn't capable of tanking. Almost as if that sort of thing is a good idea.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

They've never added a new class that wasn't capable of tanking. Almost as if that sort of thing is a good idea.

But it also hasn't improved queues/tank population significantly. Giving people who like tanking new playstyle options is still good though. (But I agree adding a pure dps class would be dumb)

Plus DPS queues in WoW are more like 10-20 minutes rather then 30-40.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

But it also hasn't improved queues/tank population significantly.

Right. But it does avoid tipping the balance too badly, which is good.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Having 3 dps per party probably does more for dps queues than having every new class able to tank does.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Final Fantasy XIV: Mistakes Were Made And Some Of Them Are Unfixable

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
If this game had open world pvp I would have never needed another MMO....that being said it doesn't.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ffycchi posted:

If this game had open world pvp I would have never needed another MMO....that being said it doesn't.

Open world pvp is nothing but a euphemism for ganking.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Cythereal posted:

Open world pvp is nothing but a euphemism for ganking.

This may be the intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ffycchi posted:

Open world pvp sucks and has never been good in modern (post 2005) MMOs.