Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Wark Say posted:

I didn't like that. Like, I don't mind that Benjamin turned out to be a guy who's willing to listen to reason, but Camilla reminded me of the Fortune Telling rich girl from the Yorknew arc (Neon, I think?) too much.

I want to see the look on her dad's face when they realize her powers are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Oh Snapple! posted:

Man I still loving adore that last panel.
It rules whenever he does that super-intense/detailed look. The one for Kurapika is great as well when he's staring down some fool and fingering his chains, but I forget what chapter it is.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pierson posted:

It rules whenever he does that super-intense/detailed look. The one for Kurapika is great as well when he's staring down some fool and fingering his chains, but I forget what chapter it is.

It's around then too it's when Mizaistom tells him the association knows where the remaining red eyes are.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rudoku posted:

I want to see the look on her dad's face when they realize her powers are gone.

We did.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think she is terribly similar to the fortune telling girl. camilla seems outraged that she is not an omnipotent deity who reigns over all existence. i'm not sure if she even realizes other people exist, aside from when they get in her way.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm glad to be proven wrong on Benjamin and his trainer Doc Louis, he's more than what we initially see but that's par for the course in HxH. Also I knew that some of the princes likely already knew about Nen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dude was in shambles. Isn't Kurapica basically running the Mafia Family he was employed by right now?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think she is terribly similar to the fortune telling girl. camilla seems outraged that she is not an omnipotent deity who reigns over all existence. i'm not sure if she even realizes other people exist, aside from when they get in her way.
Yeah, you're right, they're not that similar. I mean, if we're honest, fortune-telling girl is more similar to Tserriednich (fascination with "beautiful" body parts and all). It's just the overall "Me me and me first, gently caress you" attitude. I know these are fictional characters, but knowing people that self-centered in real life sometimes sours you on fictional characters like said aforementioned people.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Wark Say posted:

Dude was in shambles. Isn't Kurapica basically running the Mafia Family he was employed by right now?

He's as close to the top as he can get without being an actual blood relative.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's effectively running it, but all of their influence and wealth relied on selling accurate prophecies.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Nen beast chapter sure was something. Be safe, Theta.

Glad there's more to Benjamin than just being the ultimate jock but I burst out laughing when he tore his shirt open in the hallway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Nen beast chapter sure was something. Be safe, Theta.

Glad there's more to Benjamin than just being the ultimate jock but I burst out laughing when he tore his shirt open in the hallway.

What, you don't tore your shirts constantly when you are particularly hot-blooded??

Mmm good way to save some moneys.

Camilla's personality in this chapter I think it's a hint to whatever her Nen beast will do. She wants everybody to follow her whims as it's the most normal thing in the world. I think it will be some kind of hypnotic suggestion.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Can't wait to see that baby brutally killing his enemies

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

Can't wait to see that baby brutally killing his enemies

No joke I've been expecting this from the start.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Everyone hated that baby.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Everyone hated that baby.

not me im cheering for her and want her to rule with an iron fist

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all the bodyguards that died were assigned by the other queens. they were not working for woble and they were not on woble's side. the baby may well have already started killing people.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

The bit about deciding what words mean for yourselves does not bode well for Harkenburg's wish to drop out with somebody like Cammy running around.

Oh yeah. Heck wasn't there a page in last week's chapter where Harkenburg looked afraid while in front of a group of dead bodyguards?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

all the bodyguards that died were assigned by the other queens. they were not working for woble and they were not on woble's side. the baby may well have already started killing people.

Woble's Nen Beast is probably the most primal and simplest. Likely it just kills anyone emanating hostile intent towards Woble in some radius. Babies are uncomplicated, but who knows.

It's still not clear what the relationship between them and their Nen Beasts are in regards to their appearance and abilities so the jury's out and what it could really possibly be.

Also, I forgot the monk looking guy was a Prince as well. #3 and the only child of his mother. His beast was a wheel of sorts

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 8, 2017

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

. Babies are uncomplicated, but who knows.

i could point to at least 5 different hollywood films showing you the error of your thinking

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

Woble's Nen Beast is probably the most primal and simplest. Likely it just kills anyone emanating hostile intent towards Woble in some radius. Babies are uncomplicated, but who knows.

It's still not clear what the relationship between them and their Nen Beasts are in regards to their appearance and abilities so the jury's out and what it could really possibly be.

Also, I forgot the monk looking guy was a Prince as well. #3 and the only child of his mother. His beast was a wheel of sorts

More like a Sun Symbol then a wheel.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I was thinking one of flaming wheel yokai to go with his vaguely monk-ish appearance.

Kinda curious what the kingdom itself is like at present. King Hui is ruthless and calculating, but he seems like the kind of person who actually wants the state to function well if only because it secures his power. Forcing your heirs to get their power struggle over with on an isolated cruise ship in the middle of the ocean is... not actually a terrible idea if you don't mind watching most of your children, you know, die.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is a test of both their resourcefulness and latent talent. if nothing derailed the process it would almost certainly result in the selection of an excellent heir. unfortunately, the spiders, kurapika, hisoka and beyond are all present so the competition is hosed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The big difference between Neon and Cammy or Tserreidnich is that Neon, while a weird brat, had some actual empathy. Not a lot, admittedly, but some. When Squala (dog guy) died and her handmaid, his fiancee, was heartbroken, she was so sad she willingly left the auction instead of insisting on staying and stuff. She was super naive and not really good at caring about people in general, but she did care about some people. She was basically a really weird child. Cammy and Tserreidnich are complete monsters, meanwhile, and actively malicious rather than generally uncaring.

Also, I remember back when Benjamin was revealed and him killing lions with his bare hands was an "oh wow, he can do that without Nen?" moment. Turns out no, it was an early hint he does have Nen.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I was surprised when they mentioned that the ship still hasn't disembarked. I guess so the rest of the cool characters have a chance to get on board before it leaves?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, tangent, MS and occasionally this thread are still forgetting Woble's gender. She was referred to as Oito's daughter, like, in the same chapter or very next one she was introduced in, and yet MS went back to referring to her as "he" really quickly and hasn't stopped since.

I mean, I guess it is MS (and also Woble is a baby who is referred to as a "Prince" fairly often), but still.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it is a test of both their resourcefulness and latent talent. if nothing derailed the process it would almost certainly result in the selection of an excellent heir. unfortunately, the spiders, kurapika, hisoka and beyond are all present so the competition is hosed.

I think spiders aren't here yet but they sure as hell are gonna be involved

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

The big difference between Neon and Cammy or Tserreidnich is that Neon, while a weird brat, had some actual empathy. Not a lot, admittedly, but some. When Squala (dog guy) died and her handmaid, his fiancee, was heartbroken, she was so sad she willingly left the auction instead of insisting on staying and stuff. She was super naive and not really good at caring about people in general, but she did care about some people. She was basically a really weird child. Cammy and Tserreidnich are complete monsters, meanwhile, and actively malicious rather than generally uncaring.

Also, I remember back when Benjamin was revealed and him killing lions with his bare hands was an "oh wow, he can do that without Nen?" moment. Turns out no, it was an early hint he does have Nen.
Yeah, you're right. Man, I should re-read / re-watch that arc. There's so much I'm misremembering and that arc is still among my favorite things about manga ever.

I remember reading one of the previous threads for HxH a little before I registered for SA and I recall that somebody perfectly described all the arcs and how the series plays around with the tropes we'd expect out of a certain type of arc. I feel like I'm preaching to the choir here, but despite all the hiatuses, Togashi is really good at this whole manga thing, you guys. :)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FAT BATMAN posted:

I was surprised when they mentioned that the ship still hasn't disembarked. I guess so the rest of the cool characters have a chance to get on board before it leaves?

They have disembarked. They just have not dropped off the civies at the fake island, so the real expedition can start.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 9, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

They absolutely have left port, the leaving whistle was the when the princes were told the succession battle started. It's shown.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

It's a battle royale between 14 different participants, who all have preexisting relationships with each other (friendships or rivalries or vendettas) and have different objectives (some want to win, some just want to survive) as well as wildly different interpretations of the rules. So the process is always going to be chaotic and unpredictable - yes more resourceful participants will be able to exert greater power but that also makes them a bigger threat for all the other participants to be wary of. And it's probably possible for unexceptional candidates to win by virtue of being overlooked as more powerful players mutually destroy each other.

Admittedly these kind of problems would be present in any kind of succession war when you have such a high number of participants and yes I do think some parts of the setup seem well designed, if you accept the premise that the war is necessary. Doing everything in a self-contained environment scales down the struggle - instead of it being a multi year conflict that spills out over the whole country it's limited to the occupants of one ship and will probably be resolved in a matter of weeks or even days. The nen-beasts level the playing field for young capable princes who are lacking in allies/resources compared to their elder siblings and because the beasts aren't directly offensive against other participants they make the contest more about who can scheme and manuever the best rather than who can murder each other the fastest. So yeah I agree that it's a well designed process, but it's a well designed process starting from an absolute mess so I don't think anything about the outcome is guaranteed.

Yeah Spiders+Kurapika+Hisoka+Beyond will throw several spanners in the works too but the Hunter's Association was always going to be present so there was always scope for external factions to play a role. Also the Kurapika faction coming in to ruin Tserreidnich's day seems like a legitmate bit of meddling, the Spiders and Hisoka might end up randomly benefitting or handicapping particular princes almost arbitrarily but Kurapika becoming an enemy is a direct consequence of Tserreidnic's actions (and those same actions also serve as a good argument why he shouldn't be in power). And Kurapika becoming an ally of Woble was a result of Oito imitating Halkenbergs perceieved style in order to gather more powerful allies - she didn't plan for things to pan out exactly as they did but she did have to think about how to win allies from a very weak political position. I suppose you can also argue that handling self-interested foreign meddlings parties is a valid part of the contest too.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Spoilers for chapter 364:

http://www.bakadata.com/manga-spoiler/hunter-x-hunter-364-spoiler

Steal Chain gets even more broken, and Emperor Time's restriction is revealed (and it's a doozy).

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Jesus poo poo gently caress

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I can't wait for Leorio to slap some sense into Kurapika.

That's not a spoiler or anything, I just want it to happen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Disharmony posted:

Spoilers for chapter 364:

http://www.bakadata.com/manga-spoiler/hunter-x-hunter-364-spoiler

Steal Chain gets even more broken, and Emperor Time's restriction is revealed (and it's a doozy).

Kurapika :jerkbag:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so he's literally just going to loving drop dead at some point isn't he?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm watching the anime on Crunchyroll. Avoided the thread mostly for spoilers but Chimera Ant is so slow... It would be OK if things were actually happening, but instead I got a whole episode of Pouf and Youpi doing vore with the king.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Not looking at those spoilers just going to wait for the chapter.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Oh kurapika Why can't you be normal

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He must complete his transformation to become a true edgelord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Read the spoilers, had a thought WRT Kurapika:

Nen slows the effects of aging right? Does Emperor Time take hours off of his natural lifespan or his extended lifespan with nen? He might have a reasonably large pool of life to safely throw away.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 13, 2017