Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
The SMG transmission is not a manual. I hate getting my hopes up with filtered searches only to be dashed with lies.
Is the E63 SMG as failure prone as the E46 SMG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BigPaddy posted:

Top up the fluids and throw some saw dust in it like my old scum uncle used to. Note I have no idea if this works.

You use sawdust to 'fix' noisy gearboxes

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

InitialDave posted:

If you have a "project" car that you really have because it kind of fell into your lap, but you're honestly not that bothered about, it's probably better to sell it on rather than wrangle with your ambivalence and keep buying bits for it to try and kindle some interest, isn't it?

Tbh I'd almost certainly end up well in profit by selling the car and accumulated bits.

Sell it before you get too hard-headed about the eventuality of it running and the years of sunk cost and time into that loving bmw

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Adiabatic posted:

Sell it before you get too hard-headed about the eventuality of it running and the years of sunk cost and time into that loving bmw

That sounds strangely specific...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

The SMG transmission is not a manual. I hate getting my hopes up with filtered searches only to be dashed with lies.
Is the E63 SMG as failure prone as the E46 SMG?

Add something to your search string to pull crap like that out. Most of my craigslist alerts have things like "-smg -automatic -paddle". Sure occasionally it'll filter out something incorrectly but it cuts down on how many ads you open only to be disappointed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

You use sawdust to 'fix' noisy gearboxes
Putting sawdust in there may attract a hamster to live in the engine, which would actually measurably increase the output.

Adiabatic posted:

Actually it does run quite nicely, it just gets hot really fast - But the BMW isn't going anywhere! I've not put any money/time into it really, so it's not particularly acting like a millstone, but it's one of the entries on the "never sell" list.

Cleaned up pretty well with just a basic wash. Will give it a bit more of a going over tomorrow to take some pictures. Stuck a spare charged battery in it and it seems happy enough, engine issue notwithstanding. Turns out there's only 32k on it, too.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

I like the color! Those are so uncanny valley to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Putting sawdust in there may attract a hamster to live in the engine, which would actually measurably increase the output.

Actually it does run quite nicely, it just gets hot really fast - But the BMW isn't going anywhere! I've not put any money/time into it really, so it's not particularly acting like a millstone, but it's one of the entries on the "never sell" list.

Cleaned up pretty well with just a basic wash. Will give it a bit more of a going over tomorrow to take some pictures. Stuck a spare charged battery in it and it seems happy enough, engine issue notwithstanding. Turns out there's only 32k on it, too.

Yeah you should fix it. It's not like it's hard to do a head gasket on an inline four. Get a new part from a local equivalent of RockAuto, fix it, flip it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Well if you're after making a little space there's about 6 cubic feet of car I'll take off your hands back there.

Actually that's quite nice looking, for a ka.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I like the color! Those are so uncanny valley to me.
It's Ford Imperial Blue, it's been a mainstay colour for sporty Fords here since the 90s.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah you should fix it. It's not like it's hard to do a head gasket on an inline four. Get a new part from a local equivalent of RockAuto, fix it, flip it.
Ehhh... Yeah, I've nailed a few head gaskets back together in my time, and there's nothing complicated here (it's a chain-drive SOHC 8V, the 1.6 Rocam engine they use in South America a lot), it's partly that I really would rather work on something else in the fleet, and partly that the value of these is remarkably low - I'm honestly not sure if the cost of a head gasket kit (about £65 with bolts) and getting it a fresh MOT (£40) to make it a going concern again is worth the time involved in terms of payback, compared to just shunting it on.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Well if you're after making a little space there's about 6 cubic feet of car I'll take off your hands back there.
Lol, no, you're not having it! Or the other one (not that you'd want it)! And part of the reason for wanting to free myself up is that there's something else just out of shot on the other side of the Ka as well :ssh:

cakesmith handyman posted:

Actually that's quite nice looking, for a ka.
They are quite fun little goblins, but the turning circle is hilariously awful for the size of them. Of Ford stuff of this period, I'd have a Puma.

All joking aside, do any UK goons want it as a flipping project/warm hatch toy?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The E46 SMG is supposedly fairly simple to convert to a manual.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

It's Ford Imperial Blue, it's been a mainstay colour for sporty Fords here since the 90s.

Ehhh... Yeah, I've nailed a few head gaskets back together in my time, and there's nothing complicated here (it's a chain-drive SOHC 8V, the 1.6 Rocam engine they use in South America a lot), it's partly that I really would rather work on something else in the fleet, and partly that the value of these is remarkably low - I'm honestly not sure if the cost of a head gasket kit (about £65 with bolts) and getting it a fresh MOT (£40) to make it a going concern again is worth the time involved in terms of payback, compared to just shunting it on.

I've just looked at the completed/sold listing 2003 SportKa's on ebay and most of them seem to have blown headgaskets and have gone for £120-£150, whereas the very small sample of working ones with leather seats seem to go for £300-£500.

That is indeed a very tight profit margin there!

Sell it as is and use the space for something you want more.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

However.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Anyone know what happened to ReelBigLizard and his Network Traffic story? Original thread is locked, and a quick glance doesn't show a new one.
I was really digging that tale.

edit: whoa, CSB! That's a heck of a life change. More power to you, since you seem to know what you're doing. Keep on posting. It's cool to see what other bits of the world are doing.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 7, 2017

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Nostrovia! :cheers:

My step-mom is first-generation Ukrainian and she and her siblings are all fluent in the language. They bop back to the mother land now and then and it sounds like they have a great time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I've just looked at the completed/sold listing 2003 SportKa's on ebay and most of them seem to have blown headgaskets and have gone for £120-£150, whereas the very small sample of working ones with leather seats seem to go for £300-£500.

That is indeed a very tight profit margin there!

Sell it as is and use the space for something you want more.
Pretty much where my mind's been heading. Clean it up and take good pictures and move it along.

cursedshitbox posted:

I think it's official enough to post. The wife and I are moving to Ukraine. it is not open for debate or renegotiation.
We've rented a 500sq-m warehouse, and are starting the second makerspace(that i'm aware of) in this country.

However.

Buy my tools, truck, bus, and our fabrication poo poo, and david's DR. (my bike is tentatively sold already)

You all should know that incase poo poo goes awry we do have an exit strategy planned. We know what we're getting into.
Depending on what you'll be doing for accommodation there, Is there a justification to ship the whole lot across wholesale?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cursedshitbox posted:

However.

So many questions... why Ukraine? Is "The Ukraine" insensitive? On a scale of "incredibly to unbelievably," how different is the cost of living between Ukraine and the Bay Area? What are you filling your maker space with? How are you sourcing the tools? Is the market open, or do you have to pay off the government to do business?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
"The Ukraine" is insensitive because (and I'm pretty sure I"m close to the right answer) that's how Russia refers to the country and nobody in Ukraine likes Russia. It sorta implies that Ukraine belongs to Russia.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
In short, VAT for the truck is $52,000 usd. so. no. Shipping for two bikes + 4 pallets is anywhere between 4-7000 usd. Selling things in the US and rebuying here is a stabler option than trying to drag all that poo poo here, wait for customs, hope shippers don't gently caress poo poo up, etc etc.

Tools? soviet era machine tools, tovarish. The government is just as hosed as the us government, take that with what you will. HOWEVER they are actively arresting people violating the laws.
Since the maiden things have changed quite a bit for the good.

To outfit the makerspace it's about $15,000 usd. we're talkign everything from machine tools to 3d printers to electronics stations to arts/crafts. oh and a 3meter by 3 meter x-y gantry for general purpose.

"The Ukraine" is about as bad as saying Poland belongs to Germany. Just. Don't. Speaking of. Look up Holodomor if you're unfamiliar. It's the Ukranian holocaust.

Cost of living in SF is one of the highest. Ukraine is the polar loving opposite. There is plenty of wiggle room for fuckups.
E: the wife has a team of coworkers here, he'll continue managing them locally now, retaining his pay.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 7, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

In short, VAT for the truck is $52,000 usd. so. no. Shipping for two bikes + 4 pallets is anywhere between 4-7000 usd. Selling things in the US and rebuying here is a stabler option than trying to drag all that poo poo here, wait for customs, hope shippers don't gently caress poo poo up, etc etc.
Yeah, fair enough. You know you now need to buy some massive ex-soviet military truck(s), right?

Also, I imagine you would have really dug into this before the decision, but what's the deal with being gay there? I know it's legal, but socially, where do you stand on a spectrum from "no fucks given" to "being chased down the street with torches"?

cursedshitbox posted:

"The Ukraine" is about as bad as saying Poland belongs to Germany.
Hell, I still don't know how socially acceptable a given way of referring to the wirral peninsula is. In polite company, "not at all", obviously.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, fair enough. You know you now need to buy some massive ex-soviet military truck(s), right?

Also, I imagine you would have really dug into this before the decision, but what's the deal with being gay there? I know it's legal, but socially, where do you stand on a spectrum from "no fucks given" to "being chased down the street with torches"?

IMO? Bedroom matters belong in the bedroom. These people tend to share the same sentiment. There was a gay pride in Kiev not too long ago (I'm in Zaporizhye). I tend to blend in with everybody else here, and don't do PDA, so far so good.

Some would probably be tempted to bust my head if i were out hitting on guys or smoochin someone on the streets, but that ain' my thing. I'd say it's on par with some rural parts of America.

Trucks? I am limited to 7500KG in mass weight. I might be able to bob an Ural and deal with the associated red tape, but I'm not doing that. I want to start using the knowledge i've acquired in college and start building robots.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

However.

sweet! :) Can I come visit one day?

Can you find me a UAZ-452?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tomarse posted:

sweet! :) Can I come visit one day?

Can you find me a UAZ-452?

Yep!
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-uaz-vezdehod-IDsIDtc.html#3f46f960c1
Done! Om617, Audi powersteering. 4800 usd.
They call em "Буханка" here. "bread loaf" cause they resemble such.

I *really* want one, but with 1200kg capacity, can't justify it. the 3302 can do almost 2 tonne. (we're talking some big rear end machine tools)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

IMO? Bedroom matters belong in the bedroom. These people tend to share the same sentiment. There was a gay pride in Kiev not too long ago (I'm in Zaporizhye). I tend to blend in with everybody else here, and don't do PDA, so far so good.

Some would probably be tempted to bust my head if i were out hitting on guys or smoochin someone on the streets, but that ain' my thing. I'd say it's on par with some rural parts of America.
Yeah, that's fair enough. I mean, there's weirdos in every country who have a problem with people being a given way, but it sounds like it's both ok and suits your outlook on it. Won't cause you hassle is the main thing.

cursedshitbox posted:

Trucks? I am limited to 7500KG in mass weight. I might be able to bob an Ural and deal with the associated red tape, but I'm not doing that. I want to start using the knowledge i've acquired in college and start building robots.
Ah, EU-conformity licensing of some kind? There may be some interesting quirks to it, it's worth drilling down to the specifics. For example, I can drive any weight if it's pre-1960, unladen, not towing, and for my personal use.

What do you do, get a local equivalence for your US licence, or take a test for theirs?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Best of luck CSB, sounds like you've a plan.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's asshats everywhere. IMO countries are like finding a mate. You gotta find the one with the right bullshit you can put up with and a few good perks.

I have an 'international driving license' which permits me to drive 7500kg here. I *can* and may pursue a local driving license with the right endorsements to drive fun things, but ehhhh we'll see.
These fuckers all drive like rally drivers. I love it. They know how to actually drive here, unlike that horseshit left hand loafin donno where i'm going bullshit I see in the states all the time.

They do use EUs traffic signs/systems/etc. and I'm seeing more and more cars being listed with "euro 4 or 5 compliance". so maybe they're cleaning up their act hoping to get their foot in the door. Russian/Ukranian cars are generally shunned by the locals from what I've been told.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Congrats on the move! I'm hoping for lots of photos in threads here and on Instagram :D How's your Ukrainian?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cursedshitbox posted:

However.

Good luck, don't get yourself loving murdered. :)

Bad time to be openly gay in that part of the world.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 7, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Seminal Flu posted:

Nope, I'm not sure of that at all. Whatever it is, it's strong. The hum is much louder than the input. So there's probably a single point of failure that I may or may not fix with a shotgun recapping.

To complicate, there's also a big silver can on the other side that contains (I think) the power supply capacitors... it's like a bundle of somethings shoved into a can.

Solder for the solder god.

So how do I get on the track of learning to diagnose that stuff? Go to the other sub that GnarlyCharlie4u linked and ask? Is there a good learning web site?

Edit: Nevermind. I don't have time to track down a bunch of random failures on decades-old equipment. Where's this coming from? Well, I had my Mirage subwoofer, circa 1993 start making some nasty poo poo noises. I threw a couple main caps at that to see what it would do... nothing. I am not going to take time to replace the IC or power amp, so I'm just replacing the whole damned thing with a Klipsch wireless one, since I wanted to get a wireless kit for the sub, anyway.

What Sonos would you suggest? I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, but there's gobs of space in the console. I could get any plate amp and put it in there, along with some type of bluetooth controller and probably be good.

Too bad you're giving up on it, but I guess that's the way life goes sometimes. If the power supply stuff is elsewhere, I would start looking there: 60Hz is probably from the smoothing cap after the rectifier not smoothing enough. If that's how the power supply is constructed. Not that it matters at this point :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Seminal Flu posted:

What Sonos would you suggest? I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, but there's gobs of space in the console. I could get any plate amp and put it in there, along with some type of bluetooth controller and probably be good.

I was speaking colloquially / generally. Sonos are kind of expensive, but they're nice. If you're gonna cram anything in there why not just get one of those cheap monoprice tube amps or something from Dayton Audio? You could buy some boards / components if you want a project, or even a completed amp to swap the guts from.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

scuz posted:

Nostrovia! :cheers:

My step-mom is first-generation Ukrainian and she and her siblings are all fluent in the language. They bop back to the mother land now and then and it sounds like they have a great time.

The only word I know is сало. which is basically Ukrainian for fat-back.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Yep!
https://www.olx.ua/obyavlenie/prodam-uaz-vezdehod-IDsIDtc.html#3f46f960c1
Done! Om617, Audi powersteering. 4800 usd.
They call em "Буханка" here. "bread loaf" cause they resemble such.

Google translate makes that sound like a Knockers and Snatch classified.

Good luck with the move man, please post updates so we can live vicariously through you.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Sooo, holy gently caress someone talk to me about huge old Mopars.
I've contracted some kind of brain parasite where I've had 1969-1972 "Fuselage-body" fullsize Mopars on on my mind some time ago. It popped up again seeing the old Newport in Missouri in the truck thread, so I've been occasionally searching Craigslist for one. I have a thing for fullsize musclecar-era cars, and my dad is a huge Impala SS fan (has something like a dozen convertibles), so I grew up around reasonably large cars. I currently DD a Fiero and an e30, so owning a car which is nearly twice the weight of either of those and feet larger in every dimension entertains me. Also the engine is more displacement than both of those put together, and it's not close.

There's a 1970 Chrysler 300 hardtop for sale in Seattle that's calling to me. I'm in Portland, and I don't have a place to put it (questionable if it'd fit into my apartment garage), and the ad doesn't say if it's even registered or not.

Beyond DO IT AND POST A THREAD, someone talk to me about this.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Cats are assholes. Came home to find one of ours hurled on my Logitech G810 mechanical keyboard. Cleaned up the surface only to find a bunch of water had separated from the vomit and infiltrated the circuit board.

Tore it down, rinsed the guts with isopropyl and now it's baking at 150 degrees (F) for an hour. If I'm lucky short protection kicked in and saved it. If not I'm out $110 :homebrew:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Geoj posted:

Cats are assholes. Came home to find one of ours hurled on my Logitech G810 mechanical keyboard. Cleaned up the surface only to find a bunch of water had separated from the vomit and infiltrated the circuit board.

Tore it down, rinsed the guts with isopropyl and now it's baking at 150 degrees (F) for an hour. If I'm lucky short protection kicked in and saved it. If not I'm out $110 :homebrew:

I'm so glad our cat doesn't destroy things, almost makes me forgive her for crying at the door while I'm trying to take a nap.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

boxen posted:

I've contracted some kind of brain parasite where I've had 1969-1972 "Fuselage-body" fullsize Mopars on on my mind some time ago. It popped up again seeing the old Newport in Missouri in the truck thread, so I've been occasionally searching Craigslist for one. I have a thing for fullsize musclecar-era cars, and my dad is a huge Impala SS fan (has something like a dozen convertibles), so I grew up around reasonably large cars. I currently DD a Fiero and an e30, so owning a car which is nearly twice the weight of either of those and feet larger in every dimension entertains me. Also the engine is more displacement than both of those put together, and it's not close.

There's a 1970 Chrysler 300 hardtop for sale in Seattle that's calling to me. I'm in Portland, and I don't have a place to put it (questionable if it'd fit into my apartment garage), and the ad doesn't say if it's even registered or not.

Can't help you much from a current standpoint, but I grew up with those big Mopars, since they were readily available and cheap!

I had at one time or another:
'73 Newport with a 440 - was a pretty good sleeper.
'73 Charger with a 400.
'68 Charger with a 440 - dual point ignition, 4 speed manual - was a pain in the rear end to keep tuned, caught on fire 3 times.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rascal only gets destructive when he's nervous or anxious which is pretty much strictly when visitors are over or when we leave the house

hes a social eater so if you dont sit with him while he eats he wont eat then he'll puke bile on the floor by the bed but otherwise he's a pretty good boy

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

boxen posted:

Go look up the Roadkill episodes they do big mopars, also the Hot Rod Garage where they drop a stroked 440 into Fury III Wagon.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Go look up the Roadkill episodes they do big mopars, also the Hot Rod Garage where they drop a stroked 440 into Fury III Wagon.

What episodes of Roadkill had a big mopar? I remember the Fury they went to LeMons with, the junkyard Cuda, and Freiburgers Super Bee (but the last two aren't fullsize), but that's all that comes to mind. The Hot Rod Garage episode with the stroker 440 (holy gently caress is it cheap to stroke a 440) didn't help me wanting one. I poked around on Hot Rod's archives and found some articles from around ten years ago where they bought a Newport and did some upgrades, exhaust, brakes and suspension at least.

After probably too long staring at the Craigslist ad and some internet detective work (the ad is https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/6135142953.html , if anyone cares), some issues come up.
A "300 Formula" isn't a thing. The "Formula S" badge is from a Plymouth.
The rear window looks duct-taped in.
If it's duct-taped in, there's probably rust problems around the rear window, and I don't have the tools/space for rust repair, especially not on a car that size.
The clearcoat is obviously cracked/peeling, and while that itself doesn't bother me, I wonder about the paint being a lovely respray, hinting at other lovely bodywork. The taped rear window also might be an indicator of the window frame being more bondo than metal. These aren't hugely popular cars, so floor pans are the only reproduction panels being made.
Forum threads from http://www.forcbodiesonly.com point to their uses having seen the car on craigslist several times, and there being "issues", but there wasn't much detail.

Also, he wants $10k for it, and https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1970-chrysler-300 points at it being worth $9.8k in #3 condition, and based on the taped-in rear window alone it's not a #3 car. The random "Formula" badge, inflated asking price, and the fact that it's apparently been for sale for a couple of years (I found the street address where it's listed, and it's been there long enough for both satellite pictures and google street view to show it) points to the seller being a moron anyway.

Still, though. It's so pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PT is probably sold!

And I might have already replaced it in the fleet.

whoops

• Locked thread