Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Papes posted:

People are way overreacting to an outlier rb season last year. I dunno how many leagues I'll do this year but I'll be going zero rb in all of them.

:yeah:

Zero RB still worked out for me last year anyway because I got Murray and Gore (and Gio was a pretty great RB3 for a while) for a song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Papes posted:

Why would you not do an auction draft in the year 2017?

But to answer your question, no. I would draft a top 3 rb and immediately try to trade them after the draft.

Last year all 4 of my leagues were auction. It lends itself to much better/funner draft days, but man its hard to discuss 2 months beforehand, because market swings are so much more pronounced

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I run two goon money leagues on Yahoo and I want to start using Yahoo's cash league setup instead of collecting everyone's money and redistributing it myself but they won't let me do it since I'm from Canada. I'm not sure I want to VPN from the US in case they shut the leagues down and everyone's out of cash even though it probably won't happen. What are your thoughts on that? Can you join one of those if you live in Canada as long as the league is ran by an American commish?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
A lot of people signing up for the Goon Fish Bowl, already, yay!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825569

If I wanted to promote this on Reddit, just to maximize teams, what sub would be best?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

A lot of people signing up for the Goon Fish Bowl, already, yay!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825569

If I wanted to promote this on Reddit, just to maximize teams, what sub would be best?

/r/the_donald

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

They don't like my kind

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
PM sent

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

To the Donald?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
So I have been doing a couple yahoo mocks just to get a better idea of where people are going and noticed some interesting things.

Quincy Enunwa is basically going undrafted or getting picked up in the 13th+. That seems crazy for a guy who is now the clear #1 on the Jets and who had 850 yards last year sharing targets with Decker and Marshall. Sure there is some risk in him being able to perform as a true number one, but that is still worth a higher pick than 13 in my mind.

Jamison Crowder wasn't going until the 8th or so which also seems really low for a guy that took a big step forward last year.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Dr. quinncy, medicine womenunwa

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrSargent posted:

So I have been doing a couple yahoo mocks just to get a better idea of where people are going and noticed some interesting things.

Quincy Enunwa is basically going undrafted or getting picked up in the 13th+. That seems crazy for a guy who is now the clear #1 on the Jets and who had 850 yards last year sharing targets with Decker and Marshall. Sure there is some risk in him being able to perform as a true number one, but that is still worth a higher pick than 13 in my mind.

Jamison Crowder wasn't going until the 8th or so which also seems really low for a guy that took a big step forward last year.

Especially in PPR, that's awesome for Crowder. And no way should Enunwa be undrafted, but he is a pretty big question mark. We really have no idea who QB will be, how the rookies will show, or whether Enunwa is actually any good. I'd probably be comfortable with him in the late WR30s maybe, bakes in his risk and upside decently at that price.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Enunwa bites the dust

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Lol niiice

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Thanks, I sent that one in to Fantasy Football Today and Adam Aizer read my name on the air. m

Yes, you may touch me.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Just lol if multiple cbs fantasy guys dont follow you on Twitter :smug:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

Look at Spoeank trying to get followers.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Dynasty Trade update, the 1.01 I gave up became David Johnson. The 1.14, 3.14 and 5.14 I got back became Amari Cooper, Christian McCaffrey and Andrew Luck. Feeling good about it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

:crossarms:

I get you want to rationalize the trade, but you done goofed son.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I feel like its super weird that mccaffrey is going 3.14 in dynasty

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Just lol if you don't have multiple articles with 3 million+ hits*
http://www.cracked.com/members/Drunk%20Nerds/

* that are from like ten years ago and have nothing to do with fantasy football

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The site I write for is garbage because they keep chasing off writers lol

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

The site I write for is garbage because they keep chasing off writers lol

The sites I write for are garbage because... well, we can't ignore the common link here
What's your site again? Link your favorite article you've ever written

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

:crossarms:

I get you want to rationalize the trade, but you done goofed son.

I'm not convinced that's a big good. Realistically, you are getting five premium years for DJ. I think you can expect a similar return for Cooper. And you get to throw in Luck and McCaffrey. Long term, I like the second team better.

The issue is that he doesn't get to KEEP that many of his guys long term, because it's not a true dynasty or keeper league.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I feel like its super weird that mccaffrey is going 3.14 in dynasty

It is a dynasty start up draft, but yeah, he dropped way too far.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

The sites I write for are garbage because... well, we can't ignore the common link here
What's your site again? Link your favorite article you've ever written

A lot of my old articles are all hosed up on the format or attributed to just the site and hard to find because we changed a bunch of backend stuff but here's a recent one I like

http://theinscribermag.com/fantasy-football-todd-gurley-not-rb1/

AKA yo gently caress todd gurley smdh get out of here with that adp

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Pancakes by Mail posted:

Dynasty Trade update, the 1.01 I gave up became David Johnson. The 1.14, 3.14 and 5.14 I got back became Amari Cooper, Christian McCaffrey and Andrew Luck. Feeling good about it.

Trade seems bad. DJ could be a top 5 pick for the next 5 years.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
JFC Randall Cobb is only 26. How is that possible he has been around for like a million years.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

RisqueBarber posted:

Trade seems bad. DJ could be a top 5 pick for the next 5 years.

Counterpoint, Cooper and Luck could be top five at their positions for years.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Sataere posted:

Counterpoint, Cooper and Luck could be top five at their positions for years.

Yeah, the shelf life on a young QB or WR is so much longer. I have a dynasty team where I my RBs peak at Todd Gurley, but I'm competitive year to year because I've Julio and a few other young WRs locked up as well as Wilson and Carr. If Cooper improves in year 3 on, it's barely even a question, without figuring in Luck.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I also like how nobody takes into consideration DJ's knee injury because he didn't miss any fantasy relevant games. If that injury happened in week 12 I doubt he he would still be consensus 1.01.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Papes posted:

I also like how nobody takes into consideration DJ's knee injury because he didn't miss any fantasy relevant games. If that injury happened in week 12 I doubt he he would still be consensus 1.01.

It's that he had all offseason to recover from a straightforward MCL sprain. If he had gotten injured week 12, he would have had even longer to recover and might be even more solidly entrenched at #1. It's not like he tore something

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

It's that he had all offseason to recover from a straightforward MCL sprain. If he had gotten injured week 12, he would have had even longer to recover and might be even more solidly entrenched at #1. It's not like he tore something

The point is it only illustrates the fragility of running backs. And guys who get hurt during the fantasy season usually find their ADP takes a hit. I suspect it makes people feel like they are more prone to get injured, which makes it really feel arbitrary that DJ didn't take a hit.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

The point is it only illustrates the fragility of running backs. And guys who get hurt during the fantasy season usually find their ADP takes a hit. I suspect it makes people feel like they are more prone to get injured, which makes it really feel arbitrary that DJ didn't take a hit.

I feel like knee-jerk reactions to players getting injured during the fantasy season was more of a thing 10 years ago. Today, everyone is all over metrics and injury reports. Case in point: AP was a consensus #1, then tore his mcl after the fantasy season was over, and his ADP dropped like 20 places. The only difference between his situation and David Johnson's was severity of injury: which is my point(DJ didn't fall because his injury isnt serious)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Rotoviz has a really solid article on why last year was an incredible fluke in terms of RB scoring and RB health.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rotoviz has a really solid article on why last year was an incredible fluke in terms of RB scoring and RB health.

Link please?

I'm finding this debate fascinating, and look forward to hearing more opinions for both sides of the issue

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

Link please?

I'm finding this debate fascinating, and look forward to hearing more opinions for both sides of the issue

http://rotoviz.com/2017/07/there-have-never-been-better-circumstances-for-zero-rb/?hvid=4hvZdv

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks!

Similarly, Jamaal Charles was a consensus top 3 pick in 2012, despite burning owners by going out for season week 1 of 2011. There's just too much info out there for most owners to have a short term memory about January injuries versus earlier ones

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Seconded, read the rotoviz article.

Also, this may be a bit pedantic, but a sprain IS a tear (specifically, to a ligament). Grade I is just a few messed up fibers, up to grade III which is completely torn apart.

Not that this is a reason to fade DJ. Just thought I'd mention it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Drunk Nerds posted:

I feel like knee-jerk reactions to players getting injured during the fantasy season was more of a thing 10 years ago. Today, everyone is all over metrics and injury reports. Case in point: AP was a consensus #1, then tore his mcl after the fantasy season was over, and his ADP dropped like 20 places. The only difference between his situation and David Johnson's was severity of injury: which is my point(DJ didn't fall because his injury isnt serious)

To be clear, I'm not someone who worries about injuries and it wouldn't impact my drafting. All I'm saying is that it usually something that impacts ADP. Any injury that makes you miss time will usually shave at least half a round off of your ADP. I have no numbers to back that up, just a casual observation that might be wrong.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That article is sort of convincing me that, rather than zero-RB being the best approach, you should draft more RBs in the first few rounds.

Because:
1. RBs should get injured more, meaning, healthy good RBs become an increasingly scarce resource throughout the season
2. WRs should get injured less, meaning, healthy good WRs remain a plentiful resource throughout the season
3. You still have to start two RBs. Zero RB says you will always start two mediocre RBs, and sometimes (if one gets injured, which is more likely than losing a WR to injury) you'll be forced to start a low-grade guy to replace your mid-round RB
4. Everyone knows about zero-RB, which means you'll still be trying to take your top RB under competition from the other owners, and similarly, those owners will be grabbing all the best WRs in the first three rounds, reducing your ability to get a good WR.

If you can roster four good RBs, you'll still be dominating your opponents at RB even if one gets severely injured; meanwhile, since good WRs will remain plentiful and largely uninjured, the fact you rostered fewer of them from later rounds is less likely to leave you crippled by a WR injury.

...but really I think what I am taking away is, you should draft based on not doing what most of the other owners in your league are doing during the draft; a contrarian approach nets you bargains and you can shape your roster to account for the relative likelihood of injuries. And, secondarily, fantasy football is mostly down to luck, because not only is it very difficult to predict player injuries, even the rate at which players get injured is subject to high variance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

That article is sort of convincing me that, rather than zero-RB being the best approach, you should draft more RBs in the first few rounds.

Because:
1. RBs should get injured more, meaning, healthy good RBs become an increasingly scarce resource throughout the season
2. WRs should get injured less, meaning, healthy good WRs remain a plentiful resource throughout the season
3. You still have to start two RBs. Zero RB says you will always start two mediocre RBs, and sometimes (if one gets injured, which is more likely than losing a WR to injury) you'll be forced to start a low-grade guy to replace your mid-round RB
4. Everyone knows about zero-RB, which means you'll still be trying to take your top RB under competition from the other owners, and similarly, those owners will be grabbing all the best WRs in the first three rounds, reducing your ability to get a good WR.

If you can roster four good RBs, you'll still be dominating your opponents at RB even if one gets severely injured; meanwhile, since good WRs will remain plentiful and largely uninjured, the fact you rostered fewer of them from later rounds is less likely to leave you crippled by a WR injury.

...but really I think what I am taking away is, you should draft based on not doing what most of the other owners in your league are doing during the draft; a contrarian approach nets you bargains and you can shape your roster to account for the relative likelihood of injuries. And, secondarily, fantasy football is mostly down to luck, because not only is it very difficult to predict player injuries, even the rate at which players get injured is subject to high variance.

So the original 0RB article goes into why this is a bad idea. To be clear I mean "bad" in the sense that "a bunch of adults are making educated guesses about a game wholly dependent on random chance". The whole thing boils down to the concept of fragility, robustness, and antifragility. Fragile things are things that get worse when chaos hits, robust things are designed to endure chaos, and antifragile things actually get better when chaos occurs. The original Rotoviz article argues that traditional "BPA fill your starters" drafting is inherently fragile as only a few RBs are picked and the chance of one of them getting hurt is historically high. Going in for a large number of RBs is robust, as you have enough backup to endure the loss of a few RBs and still survive. 0RB is antifragile, in that the roster gets stronger as RBs goes down because your draft stock in them is less. The entire thing is dependent on the assertion that RBs generally get hurt more than WRs, so by focusing on WRs early you mitigate the risk of an early round pick busting out.

But as you say, the real approach is to go against the grain. If a lot of RBs are drafted then going WR heavy works because you can get value. If a lot of WRs are drafted then you can use a robust strategy that has maximum value (especially when combined with an understanding of which players have the best opportunity for volume). 0RB only works if there are elite WRs to draft.

Personally I really like the idea of focusing on late round gems like Terrance West and Jacquizz Rodgers to get me through the first few weeks while their competition is suspended.

• Locked thread