Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

rydiafan posted:

Reno 911: Miami has multiple commentary tracks done by the cast, in character. It's glorious.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace did this too and it's great. My favourite part is a joke towards the end that makes two of them break character while the other has to carry the commentary while they're laughing away from mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite historical fact about gladiators is that vendors would make little clay or stone action figures of the more popular gladiators, complete with accessories based on their favored weapons.

My favorite Ancient Rome fact is that their graffiti is more or less exactly the same content as here, including people literally just writing "im gay".
Well, not just that, but yeah, the Pompeii graffiti is great. First one on the list:

quote:

Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

My favorite thing about that is how none of them claim it. There was only three of you up there, motherfuckers!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Three's just enough for uncertainty.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Well, not just that, but yeah, the Pompeii graffiti is great. First one on the list:

I'm partial to:

quote:

If anyone sits here, let him read this first of all: if anyone wants a screw, he should look for Attice; she costs 4 sestertii.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My favourite are the runes carved in the Hagia Sophia. Are they an ancient lost language? Spiritual script from the saints? Nahh, just some Viking writing the 9th century equivalent of "Kilroy was here".

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Probably more like a Viking version of "Wagner loves the cock".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Allfather never loved me.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My favourite was the grafitti in the Maeshowe tomb. It was an ancient Celtic cairn that was first officially excavated in the 19th century, but when they got in there they found a ton of viking runes. It was all stuff like "Ofram the son of Sigurd carved these runes," "This howe Vermundr carved" and "Arnfithr Matr carved these runes with this axe owned by Gauk Trandilsson in the South land" but there was one inscription on the very edge of the ceiling, and they had to get a ladder in before they could get close enough to translate it.

It said "Tholfir Kolbeinsson carved these runes very high up"

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

RandomFerret posted:

My favourite was the grafitti in the Maeshowe tomb. It was an ancient Celtic cairn that was first officially excavated in the 19th century, but when they got in there they found a ton of viking runes. It was all stuff like "Ofram the son of Sigurd carved these runes," "This howe Vermundr carved" and "Arnfithr Matr carved these runes with this axe owned by Gauk Trandilsson in the South land" but there was one inscription on the very edge of the ceiling, and they had to get a ladder in before they could get close enough to translate it.

I bet the first guy to figure that one out thought it was the funniest loving thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I like the stuff they found that was some little Viking kid's homework, with doodles of himself riding a horse and slaying people :3:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HopperUK posted:

I like the stuff they found that was some little Viking kid's homework, with doodles of himself riding a horse and slaying people :3:

yeah this stuff owns https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onfim

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Strudel Man posted:

This forum needs a wordfilter to auto change "I'm gay" to "Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RandomFerret posted:

The best thing is that Nords still do this. We're not too bothered about leaving funny messages, we just give our names and dates. I have seen "Peter and John, 2nd of March, 2013".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Every so often one guy adds who they borrowed the pen from.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a transcript from one of the Apollo missions detailing how they let a turd float around the cabin for a bit.

Humanity: making GBS threads Up Space

That accident actually made some poor bastard work up the odds (and come up with the term) of "fecal decapitation".

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NtotheTC posted:

Just had to steal this one from Reddit:

Saving Private Ryan beach scene:
http://i.imgur.com/qeGwlOi.gifv

The medic on the left gets shot through the canteen (and doesn't notice). a few seconds in the water turns red with blood from the wound :psyboom:

I am pretty sure he notices. Its been ages since I have seen the movie but he is scrambling around in his medic pack for gauze or whatever, and right after that gif cuts out you see him cram it down his pants where he was hit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That accident actually made some poor bastard work up the odds (and come up with the term) of "fecal decapitation".

They loved their weird poop stories in the Apollo program.

The bags they pooped in had to be sealed, so obviously they were concerned that there was going to be some gas build-up in the bags, and treated the inside of them with an antibacterial gel. So when you pooped, you had to seal the bag and then knead the poop around inside the bag to make sure the gel got all the way through it. Captain James A. Lovell Jr. didn't like doing that.

So he delegated that task to his underlings.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

WampaLord posted:

It's really dumb, the villain twist is out of nowhere, literally just "Mwahahaha, I'm a bad guy."

Anyone who's played more than an hour of Crusader Kings 2 saw Hans' heel turn coming from the moment we met him. My instant reaction to his comment about how many older brothers he had was "he's got a whole lot of stabbing to do."

Jeherrin posted:

Boyfriend of a girl I used to know was an electrical engineer working on satellites.

There are a lot of crudely soldered dongs floating around in space.

I know a goon who designs satellite hardware. He made a cock-shaped antenna on a PCB. He also snuck the hand grenade logo into flight hardware.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Memento posted:

They loved their weird poop stories in the Apollo program.

The bags they pooped in had to be sealed, so obviously they were concerned that there was going to be some gas build-up in the bags, and treated the inside of them with an antibacterial gel. So when you pooped, you had to seal the bag and then knead the poop around inside the bag to make sure the gel got all the way through it. Captain James A. Lovell Jr. didn't like doing that.

So he delegated that task to his underlings.

That reminds me of a really interesting discovery that Ashen's made by accident in one of his videos where he was testing a shrinkwrapping machine. He wrapped some sausages in clingfillm, and in the shrinkwrap machine (There was also a control that had no covering I think) and left them in the fridge for a month to go off. The shrinkwrapped sausages survived the best although they were still inedible, but other properties were more interesting than the visual effects - the package had of course inflated due to the gas expelled by the bacteria, so you would expect a foul odor to be released due to the decay, but there apparently was no smell. Apparently the gases that Bacteria give out in a vacuum have no odor, I guess the methane produced naturally needs the atmosphere to actually be present to be produced. Just thought that that was kind of interesting.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

That reminds me of a really interesting discovery that Ashen's made by accident in one of his videos where he was testing a shrinkwrapping machine. He wrapped some sausages in clingfillm, and in the shrinkwrap machine (There was also a control that had no covering I think) and left them in the fridge for a month to go off. The shrinkwrapped sausages survived the best although they were still inedible, but other properties were more interesting than the visual effects - the package had of course inflated due to the gas expelled by the bacteria, so you would expect a foul odor to be released due to the decay, but there apparently was no smell. Apparently the gases that Bacteria give out in a vacuum have no odor, I guess the methane produced naturally needs the atmosphere to actually be present to be produced. Just thought that that was kind of interesting.

...Methane is odorless.

But I agree that is rather odd. I mean, the rotting smell is from the breakdown of proteins/compounds. Maybe it didn't smell because the bacteria were forced to go into anaerobic respiration?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samovar posted:

...Methane is odorless.

Of course, I got it mixed up with the Hydrogen Sulphide. I always conflate the two as they are so often together. (He says as if he ever knew that in the first place :v:)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Jul 9, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Saw Baby Driver last night. Nice subtle moment.

in the fantasy sequence Baby doesn't have his scars

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Saw Baby Driver last night. Nice subtle moment.

in the fantasy sequence Baby doesn't have his scars

brb, submitting this to IMDB's Goofs section

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mierenneuker posted:

brb, submitting this to IMDB's Goofs section

God. I've not tortured myself by checking those out in quite a while... And... Yep, people are still loving idiots.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Subtlety in movies doesn't have to be limited to tiny details that surprise you, it can be a guiding force in a film as well. Example: Conan the Barbarian. About as unsubtle as a film can get at first glance, what with all the blood and tits and sex and snake monsters. But when you sit down and watch the film, there are huge stretches where nobody speaks, and the movie is carried by the music and Arnold's facial expressions. The world breathes and Mako only provides the barest exposition to let you know what is going on before he cuts out and lets the film footage speak for itself. A lot of care went into the movie and its no wonder it has had so many imitators.

EDIT: Also, found a great little moment in the tv show The Expanse. In season 1 episode 8, right before the shootout at the flophouse lobby, two women come in and start complaining about how the vending machine in the corner never works right. Later when Miller burst into the fight, he shoots one of the assassins in the gut and the man falls back into the machine, which immediately dispenses a drink.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Jul 13, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Subtlety in movies doesn't have to be limited to tiny details that surprise you, it can be a guiding force in a film as well. Example: Conan the Barbarian. About as unsubtle as a film can get at first glance, what with all the blood and tits and sex and snake monsters. But when you sit down and watch the film, there are huge stretches where nobody speaks, and the movie is carried by the music and Arnold's facial expressions. The world breathes and Mako only provides the barest exposition to let you know what is going on before he cuts out and lets the film footage speak for itself. A lot of care went into the movie and its no wonder it has had so many imitators.

The commentary for the film sheds a lot of light on the more subtle details you would never catch on your own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOBhE8JOcLE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The commentary for the film sheds a lot of light on the more subtle details you would never catch on your own.

I will not hear a bad thing about Arnold's commentary tracks. They are national treasures.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Could they not find a picture of real John Milius

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite historical fact about gladiators is that vendors would make little clay or stone action figures of the more popular gladiators, complete with accessories based on their favored weapons.

Archaeologists found a gladiator tomb where it was inscribed: "My advise is to kill the opponent when you have the chance".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Could they not find a picture of real John Milius

Eh, close enough? :shrug:

The Coens knew Milius and apparently Walter was mostly based on him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alhazred posted:

Archaeologists found a gladiator tomb where it was inscribed: "My advise is to kill the opponent when you have the chance".

I didn't realize that Pro tips were so storied. :haw:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

IShallRiseAgain posted:

As great as Arnie's commentaries are, the one for Flash Gordon by Brian Blessed is just :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtMulYBE-m0

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't realize that Pro tips were so storied. :haw:

:darksouls:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
I liked in Baby Driver that the pipes or whatever that Baby uses to kill Bats literally had a red flag on them.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Woody Harrelson's necklace in War for the Planet of the Apes is actually a crossbow string.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In Book of Henry, Sarah Silverman really wants to gently caress an 11 year old with incurable brain cancer.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I started watching Person of Interest due to this thread and I really like part of Harold's physicality -- he basically never turns his head (except in flashbacks) due to the injury that gave him the limp.

It's not anything to which specific attention is drawn but it's been consistent through the show and I appreciate the little detail, even as the slow slides into crazy sci-fi god AI vs god AI plot mode after season 2.

Also it's hilarious to me how many people from this show would later end up in House of Cards.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

FreshFeesh posted:

I started watching Person of Interest due to this thread and I really like part of Harold's physicality -- he basically never turns his head (except in flashbacks) due to the injury that gave him the limp.

It's not anything to which specific attention is drawn but it's been consistent through the show and I appreciate the little detail, even as the slow slides into crazy sci-fi god AI vs god AI plot mode after season 2.

Also it's hilarious to me how many people from this show would later end up in House of Cards.

The guy who plays Agent Snow in POI and that other guy in HoC pretty much plays the creepy weirdo spook in everything it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In other PoI news, Taraji P Henson is doing a biopic. It looks fully sick.