Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I am not thin, and attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016
I work at Walmart and I always grit my teeth when the old ladies in line insist on writing out their checks in full even though we have autocheck. It literally just scans the account number off the check and bills your bank account directly, and we don't even keep the checks. There's no reason to write on them. But damned if these women don't insist on doing it no matter how many times I tell them, while everyone else in line glares at them.

The old men, on the other hand, are always thrilled when they find out they don't have to fill out their checks anymore.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

nnggh this is the worst

if you want to haggle go to the loving flea market

Eh you'd be surprised where you can get away with haggling. Best Buy for example will do it every now and then if you're not a prick. I wouldn't try this at a grocery store, but it works well with a lot of places that sell used/shelf item stuff, and at small businesses. Some woman was selling me pest control for my house and she was trying to haggle me for a price that works.

As long as you don't try it at someplace just JC Penneys or Walmart, it's your loss if you don't want to try to cut the price, annoying or not. It's not like American culture is haggle-free, take a look at car lots. Anywhere with legitimate sales staff you can generally haggle, and especially business to business stuff.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Ahaha don't loving haggle you goony rear end goons either buy it or don't. Jesus Christ.

Lmfbo this is the United States in tyool 2017 not loving Istanbul in the Middle Ages.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

berth ell pup posted:

Ahaha don't loving haggle you goony rear end goons either buy it or don't. Jesus Christ.

Lmfbo this is the United States in tyool 2017 not loving Istanbul in the Middle Ages.

:rolleyes:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNQRqAoT-2c

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

fits my needs posted:

Are a lot of retail workers nowadays possibly autistic?

No, a lot are depressed, angry and cynical :smith:.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

berth ell pup posted:

Best Buy seriously is a good place to haggle though, I've never paid full price, or even as much as the price matched price on any big ticket items there and gotten poo poo for way cheaper than I could find it online or anywhere else. Got a floor model washer and dryer for half of what they cost everywhere else I looked because they were both scratched. Well one was scratched and the other was scratched by the old lady employee who didn't give a gently caress and wanted me to get a deal on both. Haggling for poo poo is cool and good as long as you're nice to the people working there, and you're not trying to haggle over something stupid, or something that just came out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lmbo haggling at a Best Buy is the most damning and shameful indictment of the retail thread thus far and reflects poorly on all retail workers

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Unknowable Hole posted:

Best Buy seriously is a good place to haggle though, I've never paid full price, or even as much as the price matched price on any big ticket items there and gotten poo poo for way cheaper than I could find it online or anywhere else. Got a floor model washer and dryer for half of what they cost everywhere else I looked because they were both scratched. Well one was scratched and the other was scratched by the old lady employee who didn't give a gently caress and wanted me to get a deal on both. Haggling for poo poo is cool and good as long as you're nice to the people working there, and you're not trying to haggle over something stupid, or something that just came out.

Yeah definitely. They gave me $1,300 off an OLED TV there because I asked, and it was a year old model. I also got 2 Polk floor stand speakers that were shelf models for $50 (total not each).

I'm sorry if an innocuous question asked with some tact makes your day as a retail work so much harder, but I swear you guys bitch more than my wife ever did, and she worked retail for 9 years. I think she even said that reading the retail worker complaint thread in BFC.

Her biggest complaint was sweaty titty money, and mentally ill customers who would wipe poop all over the bathroom, and/or poop in the aisle and walk away.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's worth asking, sure, especially in places where it seems likely.

The annoying part is when you tell the customer "no" and instead of dropping it, they interpret that as you participating in a negotiation and that they should continue.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The trick to haggling is being observant and finding the stuff that you know has been there a while and otherwise have a history with the store.

If you don't meet these prerequisites gently caress right off.

Also can we stop talking about loving tipping, Jesus Christ. Tell stories about making GBS threads your pants at work after a Tuesday night bender brought on by an overwhelming sense of innui thanks to yet another year stuck behind a register.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 7, 2017

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Show of hands, who here is not skinny and attractive?

No one? Well then, we won't have to worry about the uggos bothering us here, will we, gents? :smug:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Starman Super DX posted:

No one? Well then, we won't have to worry about the uggos bothering us here, will we, gents? :smug:

Nobody wants to admit they are fat and ugly because if they do Jastiger will start sending them creepy PMs

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Yeah definitely. They gave me $1,300 off an OLED TV there because I asked, and it was a year old model. I also got 2 Polk floor stand speakers that were shelf models for $50 (total not each).

I'm sorry if an innocuous question asked with some tact makes your day as a retail work so much harder, but I swear you guys bitch more than my wife ever did, and she worked retail for 9 years. I think she even said that reading the retail worker complaint thread in BFC.

Her biggest complaint was sweaty titty money, and mentally ill customers who would wipe poop all over the bathroom, and/or poop in the aisle and walk away.

I agree, I was the buyer for the alcohol section of a grocery store for a while and yeah other than all of the old people being openly racist and awful rednecks being awful rednecks, it really wasn't that bad. People did really love pooping all over the place though. Some mid twenties aged dude pooped in the urinal because he was mad someone was in the stall and I walked in the bathroom to find him mid poop, he refused to clean it up so I called the cops and then he got arrested and was crying like a little bitch. Old people just leaking a poop trail as they go about their shopping like a hosed up family circus comic was a common occurrence.

Being the GM for a restaurant was where I encountered all the truly crazy people and awful customers though. The place I ran served food after all the bars in a big partying area all closed, working late was always entertaining. Some guy punched through our stained glass window that was 100 years old while he was shitfaced. I told him I had to call the cops for insurance purposes and an ambulance and wasn't even going to press chargers because he was bleeding profusely and just wanted to make sure he didn't die. He told me to go gently caress myself and ran away and some cops who had no idea what had happened found him half passed out from blood loss, he apparently tried to punch one of the cops with his hosed up lacerated hand covered in toilet paper then got tazed.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Starman Super DX posted:

Raises hand.

I am a filthy refugee from retail. Also so were most of my coworkers only they didn't know it because they were drunk/high 99% of the time.

Traxis posted:

Nobody wants to admit they are fat and ugly because if they do Jastiger will start sending them creepy PMs

:bigtran:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Starman Super DX posted:

I am neither skinny nor attractive.

But also, I am not posting in this thread.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

On the haggling discussion, I'm 99% certain that most retail stores will not haggle with you WITH the exception of dealing with luxury products and salesmen who work on commission ala best buy (although I'm less sure about the commission thing). One would think that this doesn't need to be said, but every so often I'll get someone who thinks that they can ask for something at a lower price and there is literally nothing I can do to change the price just because you don't feel like paying for it. The very rare exemptions being when I promise something at a certain price beforehand (and I have to have been completely certain) or if pricing fucks up.

On haggling in general, I really don't understand people who have no concept of doing business. My SO runs a couple different online shops selling vintage clothes and she's always telling me about the bullshit "offers" people give her - "what's the lowest you would sell this for?", "can you take twenty dollars off of this forty dollar item?" How hard is it to make a reasonable offer for the price?

I've gotten alright at it when I visit my favorite retro game con every year. Got a guy to take :10bux: off of Demon's Crest. I could tell by his face I was pushing it so gave him a chance to back down, but he did me a favor and I got the game at an arguably cheaper price than anywhere online (or at the con itself as far as I could tell). Cons/flea markets are a great place to haggle because all of the vendors are in direct competition with one another and they want you to go home with their thing.

That is my hot take on haggling tyvm all

There's also this awesome south american dude who runs a small retro game shop in a town near me and I would frequent him so much that he discounts pretty much everything I buy (I don't even ask, he just does). It pays to help out small businesses. :unsmith:

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 8, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I had a friend whose father used to argue successfully at some places you wouldn't think you could, circuit city I remember specifically. Something about places that were based on bonuses after number of sales of something.
Tangentially, he was a turban wearing sikh, so maybe the places expected it from hm.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not the one who was making it about appearance, I thought that was kind of weird, he was very defensive about sandwiches, I just corrected the guy

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

When I was 16, I had a job as a carry-out boy in a grocery store. One day a 500+ pound lady who was wearing a colostomy bag underneath her dress leaned heavily against a glass-paneled case to reach packages of cold cuts that were displayed on pegs on the wall. Her colostomy bag exploded under her weight, spraying it's liquefied contents in every direction.

At the time, I was up at the front of the store, bagging groceries at the busy checkout lanes. Not wanting to be given the task of cleaning up this stinking mess, I ran up to a lady who was about to exit the store with a cartful of groceries. "Let me help you with those," I said, as I grabbed her cart and pushed it out the door. I took my time gathering up all the empty carts in the parking lot before going back inside. By then, I was glad to see that one of the other boys was in the process of mopping up the mess.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The Walrus posted:

I'm not the one who was making it about appearance, I thought that was kind of weird, he was very defensive about sandwiches, I just corrected the guy

Pics or its not true.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
Working in a library setting up a banned books display.
Patron walks up. "HOW DARE YOU BAN THESE BOOKS! WAIT TIL MY COUNCILMAN HEARS ABOUT THIS!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
since we're all sharing among friends...im deathfat and my face has been used as an aid to induce vomiting

You should always haggle with hotels BTW. Especially boutique hotels staffed by goons who want to go back to shitposting. They will want you to stop talking ASAP, so you can usually get them to knock off 20 or 30 bucks from the rate.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was working at a gym about ten years ago, there was a special sale for 15 dollar a month memberships, someone tried to haggle it down.

"Sir I can't change the price for you."

"Everything is negotiable."

"Ok, 20 bucks a month."

"Hey that's higher I'm not gonna pay that!"

"Everything is negotiable and 25 bucks a month."

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was working at a gym about ten years ago, there was a special sale for 15 dollar a month memberships, someone tried to haggle it down.

"Sir I can't change the price for you."

"Everything is negotiable."

"Ok, 20 bucks a month."

"Hey that's higher I'm not gonna pay that!"

"Everything is negotiable and 25 bucks a month."

Demand suddenly skyrocketed!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

safe harbor posted:

Patron walks up. "HOW DARE YOU BAN THESE BOOKS! WAIT TIL MY COUNCILMAN HEARS ABOUT THIS!

Would you like to check out a copy to show him?

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

safe harbor posted:

Print this out.

https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/blogs/the-scoop/relax-aarp-bulletin-readers-librarians-do-not-celebrate-book-banning/

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I had this customer haggling with me over a family rate to enter the temple when this crazy niggah comes and flips all the tables, wtf?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Haggling at a chain store where the employees have very little, if any, control over pricing isn't going to go over well.

Pawn shops however are the only place I buy things like jewelry and tools.

I got a 1200 dollar ring for 500 bucks and a 400 dollar electric impact wrench for 65 bucks. And the pawn shop owner probably still made more than 100% profit on those items.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Sitting Here posted:

since we're all sharing among friends...im deathfat and my face has been used as an aid to induce vomiting

You should always haggle with hotels BTW. Especially boutique hotels staffed by goons who want to go back to shitposting. They will want you to stop talking ASAP, so you can usually get them to knock off 20 or 30 bucks from the rate.

I assume this means places other than Best Western and Holiday Inn?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nah, it's places that have hourly rates in the fun side of town

Another tip that's useful, but only so long as it's not super common: stop writing "fragile" on packages - write "GLASS" instead (especially when sending something like a laptop). Everyone tunes out fragile, but people tend to pay attention to glass since it's so explicit and uncommon

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

Nah, it's places that have hourly rates in the fun side of town

Another tip that's useful, but only so long as it's not super common: stop writing "fragile" on packages - write "GLASS" instead (especially when sending something like a laptop). Everyone tunes out fragile, but people tend to pay attention to glass since it's so explicit and uncommon

Also, the This End Up and Do Not Stack stickers just mean Hold My Beer.

For laptops and poo poo, spend the money and get the loving boxes made for laptops to ship in.

And to avoid the poo poo with airlines losing your luggage, loving UPS or Fedex your suitcases. Ziptie the bags closed and send them on their way, like to your hotel. It's a lot cheaper than dealing with the airline and weights.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Sitting Here posted:

I've tried this half a dozen times and they've never budged. Both chain hotels and non-chain. They've always been in touristy places, though, so maybe that's why? Maybe I'm just bad at haggling, though... one time I brought up a travel website's price on my phone and asked if they could beat it and they said they would match it and that's it. I didn't stay there, but that's the only time I've had less offered by haggling for a room and it really wasn't. What's the secret?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cowslips Warren posted:

And to avoid the poo poo with airlines losing your luggage, loving UPS or Fedex your suitcases. Ziptie the bags closed and send them on their way, like to your hotel. It's a lot cheaper than dealing with the airline and weights.

I've been doing this for 20 years after I learned it from an older colleague who had to travel constantly. Best thing he ever taught me.

Just call the hotel first and politely ask them if it's okay for them to hold your luggage for a day or so before you arrive and you're golden. I've never had a hotel say no.

And it's just so loving relaxing to fly when you have your small carry-on and nothing else to worry about. You get off, walk right past the carousel and get on with your life.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've been doing this for 20 years after I learned it from an older colleague who had to travel constantly. Best thing he ever taught me.

Just call the hotel first and politely ask them if it's okay for them to hold your luggage for a day or so before you arrive and you're golden. I've never had a hotel say no.

And it's just so loving relaxing to fly when you have your small carry-on and nothing else to worry about. You get off, walk right past the carousel and get on with your life.

They'll even have the bags waiting for you in your room when you arrive - or have, the few times I've done this. Extremely pro tip right there.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

So you can just slap a label on a suitcase and ship it? No box or anything?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gorilla Salad posted:

ive only shipped things back a few times, but ya this. gently caress dealing with checked bags, its lovely as hell.

I've embraced the carry-on (small but as large as possible suitcase) and "personal item" (aka large rear end duffel bag that carries whatever important poo poo that does not fit in your carry-on), it's like having 2 carry-ons! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

ive only shipped things back a few times, but ya this. gently caress dealing with checked bags, its lovely as hell.

I've embraced the carry-on (small but as large as possible suitcase) and "personal item" (aka large rear end duffel bag that carries whatever important poo poo that does not fit in your carry-on), it's like having 2 carry-ons! :eng101:

and then because everyone does this the overhead bins immediately fill up then they have to hold up the plane while they bring out a cart and check random people's bullshit personal items the normal way.

• Locked thread