Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

chutche2 posted:

You can batch roll if all of the saves are identical.

I think this is exactly what both of us meant when we were describing identical guys. As in, nothing that makes their saves different (whether it's gear, cover, stats, rules or anything else).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If the target is not within the building (ie touching it) then no it won't.

The rules are kind of dumb in that regard.

Yup, I was just double-checking the FAQ and the Rulebook: if Infantry are 100% in a ruin/building/crater/forest they get cover. Vehicles and monsters etc. have to be within *and* 50% or more obscured.

So, the diagram we've been arguing over actually provides no cover whatsoever to anyone, unless the guys behind the building were *inside* the building. :v:

Basically, the idea that the units are static representations of moving dudes means that, the example, we have a squad that is running around, trying to get into cover behind a building, but have fouled up, and are taking turns to put their heads up and get shot.

Xarlaxas fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 7, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

The only way I found to make the inceptors easier to transport:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xarlaxas posted:

Yup, I was just double-checking the FAQ and the Rulebook: if Infantry are 100% in a ruin/building/crater/forest they get cover. Vehicles and monsters etc. have to be within *and* 50% or more obscured.

So, the diagram we've been arguing over actually provides no cover whatsoever to anyone, unless the guys behind the building were *inside* the building. :v:

Basically, the idea that the units are static representations of moving dudes means that, the example, we have a squad that is running around, trying to get into cover behind a building, but have fouled up, and are taking turns to put their heads up and get shot.

Specifically the unit has to be 100% within a piece of cover-granting terrain to receive cover. The game defines "within" as "touching". This is compared to "wholly within" which means no part of the model may be outside the region, such as being wholly within 3" of a transport when disembarking.

Ayn Marx posted:

The only way I found to make the inceptors easier to transport:

What size magnets?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Specifically the unit has to be 100% within a piece of cover-granting terrain to receive cover. The game defines "within" as "touching". This is compared to "wholly within" which means no part of the model may be outside the region, such as being wholly within 3" of a transport when disembarking.

What size magnets?

and does anyone have a good way to keep them from swiveling? Someone had a similar setup, but they seemed to twirl all over at the slightest provocation.

Without special materials, my best thought is to drill in, mount a bit of nail in there, then mount the magnet sideways on the flight stand so it goes into a little greenstuffed 'slit' so that it can't swivel side to side.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So mass roll to hit, mass roll to wound, kill the guys in the open, the rest get cover saves?

Not really? Remember, the opponent allocates, but the person doing the attack chooses the order the guns shoot at the unit. Which may or may not matter when mixing things like "ignore cover" weapons and weapons with different AP values.

Person shooting: mass roll to hit, mass roll to wound, congo-line the wounds based on the AP order they want it resolved
Person being shot: Allocate and make saves based on the AP/Damage of the above weapons.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Good spot, yeah, wholly within is a very important distinction.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Genghis Cohen posted:

This is a loving cool army mate. I love to play against people who have a real vision for what their force is.
Thanks. I'll be honest, I don't go much further in concept than what I posted. I don't name my models or write fluff about them, but I enjoy over-arching themes and concepts. The idea of a downtrodden chaos marine warband was too good to pass up. When/if I get back around to them, I'll definitely post updates.

TheChirurgeon posted:

These are awesome! I may copy your Raptor champion/Aspiring champion conversion to do another NL raptor champion of my own. I already have most of those bits lying around, but I'll probably keep up my "winged raptors" theme.
Do you mean the raptor lord? Have at it! Be warned that the conversion is pretty complicated. You have to carve the head out of the aspiring champion and fill in his torso a bit. The sword's off of the finecast sorcerer and the base of the powerfist is a leftover warp talon lightning claw with the fingers from the terminator lord's powerfist. The toes are trimmed off of a spare set of raptor/warp talon feet and transplanted over. The aforementioned sorcerer is halfway through a conversion to have a winged backpack and a stolen force staff. Never finished it. I have a metal Night Lords "Hero" floating around somewhere too.

I've always been a big fan of the winged helmets despite how goofy they are. Unfortunately, I was looking at them on GW's site and they're now finecast. I don't see the wings faring too well with that material (and Texas heat) which is too bad. Luckily, I still have 4-5 of them so as long as I stick to aspiring champions and characters I should be fine. I was going to use them for my raptor champions, but thought the FW heads might be a bit more aerodynamic. I might have to rip them off and replace them with the winged ones because gently caress it. Hats with wings are :black101:

Expect an update on these guys in like two years. :v: I'm currently musing on bases for the army and I think I might actually go with GW's Sector Imperialis sets. They're fairly cheap compared to other custom bases and these guys would totally be terrorizing an urban center.

I really did not need this distraction from my 30k DA. Maybe I'll alternate units...

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 7, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What size magnets?

3mm x 1mm

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I made a jump pack sorceror for my Word Bearers. Complete with flaming tentacle arm.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If the target is not within the building (ie touching it) then no it won't.

The rules are kind of dumb in that regard.

Correct me if Im wrong here but as per the FAQ "other units," ones that arent on the terrain, still get cover if the unit is 50% or more obscured. So woods/ruins provide cover to units behind them.

I dont have my rulebook handy but are "buildings" defined differently than ruins/woods if they are defined at all?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Correct me if Im wrong here but as per the FAQ "other units," ones that arent on the terrain, still get cover if the unit is 50% or more obscured. So woods/ruins provide cover to units behind them.

I dont have my rulebook handy but are "buildings" defined differently than ruins/woods if they are defined at all?

The FAQ didn't change the wording on how cover works other than fixing it so that obscured is measured from each firing model rather than from the firing unit.

Buildings aren't defined at all.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Buildings, right now, are just ruins that are, well, less ruined.

There are Fortifications in the Indices, like the Aegis Defence lines, bunkers etc. It seems that Imperial Bastions, Bunkers, and such are treated like transport vehicles, so you would embark upon them, shoot through fire-points, etc.

I guess, for buildings, if it's not one of the "official" GW structures, you can use the stats for a bunker (minus the weapons) and then let dudes embark within them.

Of course, if you want to put fortifications in the middle of the field and not spend points on them, they can be neutral and "embarked" upon by either side.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

I really did not need this distraction from my 30k DA. Maybe I'll alternate units...

:getin:

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Anyone got a good source for making Inquisitorial Acolytes? Like is there a good kit somewhere that could be used. I want to make a small force of acolytes with power maces and pistols.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Xarlaxas posted:

Let's assume the diagram depicts a 9" high, fully solid wall. The models are always 100% obscured from line of sight, but one pokes out 1" to the side. how would this work when allocating wounds?

I mean, I guess we're talking about lazer guns and rocket propelled bullets that rip through tanks, but if it were a wall/solid structure taller than the models, obscuring them completely, they should at least get the +1 shouldn't they?

Edit: I'm trying to differentiate between being able to see them in the first place, versus gaining a cover bonus. If you can only ever get line of sight to a single model from the unit, the whole unit takes wounds still?

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 8, 2017

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Yes. That's right. Size and shape of the intervening object doesn't matter, and for most things, it either blocks the shot from unit to unit completely or does nothing at all. Most things that give cover, you get for standing on it and obscurement in that case only matters if it's not infantry standing on it. Basically, cover is completely and totally different in every way, shape, and form compared the the previous rules.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Agentdark posted:

Anyone got a good source for making Inquisitorial Acolytes? Like is there a good kit somewhere that could be used. I want to make a small force of acolytes with power maces and pistols.

If you want GW and no conversion work you could use Adeptus Arbites or Necromunda Enforcers. I know the Arbites have a pistol/mace judge, I think the Enforcers have one or two too - might need to swap a shield.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I haven't played 40k since the dark vengence box, but a few friends and I have been interested in 8th since the rules are pretty good, and we can't help but get drawn back in by GW's siren song. A friend of mine is also insisting on giving me a really late birthday present of the Primaris half of the Dark Imperium box. I'm also hoping to get in on the new campaign going on. My big questions are, when are more primaris going to be for sale? I can't find anything about release dates. I also can't tell if they'll be in the space marine codex or if they'll have their own. Overall, is it worth it for a new player to get Primaris? or should I stick with your average space marines?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Elblanco posted:

So I haven't played 40k since the dark vengence box, but a few friends and I have been interested in 8th since the rules are pretty good, and we can't help but get drawn back in by GW's siren song. A friend of mine is also insisting on giving me a really late birthday present of the Primaris half of the Dark Imperium box. I'm also hoping to get in on the new campaign going on. My big questions are, when are more primaris going to be for sale? I can't find anything about release dates. I also can't tell if they'll be in the space marine codex or if they'll have their own. Overall, is it worth it for a new player to get Primaris? or should I stick with your average space marines?

They've announced more primaris models in the new starter kits, but we haven't heard anything about a standalone primaris multipose kit yet. They'll be in the new Space Marine codex; they won't get their own.

The Primaris dudes look cool. The models are neat. The Hellblasters and Interceptors are good, the standard bolt rifle dudes not as much.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Let's assume the diagram depicts a 9" high, fully solid wall. The models are always 100% obscured from line of sight, but one pokes out 1" to the side. how would this work when allocating wounds?

I mean, I guess we're talking about lazer guns and rocket propelled bullets that rip through tanks, but if it were a wall/solid structure taller than the models, obscuring them completely, they should at least get the +1 shouldn't they?

Edit: I'm trying to differentiate between being able to see them in the first place, versus gaining a cover bonus. If you can only ever get line of sight to a single model from the unit, the whole unit takes wounds still?

Nope, they'd get no cover, unless it was, specifically, a "barricade" piece of terrain, or an Aegis Defence Line, after you kill the first model that's out in the open, then they would get cover, presuming it's an Infantry unit.

If it's a building, the unit should have embarked upon it, as they would have ended their move within 3" if they want to avoid being shot.

So, in short: if it's a building, ruin, or wood, you should be in it (either physically, or embarked), or everyone should be positioned so there's no line of sight; if it's a wall, you can probably call that a barricade (better make sure everyone agrees before the game begins!), and get cover after the first dude dies who happens to be in the open.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

If you want GW and no conversion work you could use Adeptus Arbites or Necromunda Enforcers. I know the Arbites have a pistol/mace judge, I think the Enforcers have one or two too - might need to swap a shield.

Oh I am cool with doing some conversion work if I need to

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IG seems kinda weird now that platoons are gone. Must be really easy to rack up the command points with such cheap troop choices.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

LingcodKilla posted:

IG seems kinda weird now that platoons are gone. Must be really easy to rack up the command points with such cheap troop choices.

Yeah people have been skinning up 3 brigades at 2k points. Realistically you don't want quite that many, but it's still funny.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Just played my first real game of the new 40k with this list versus necrons.

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [57 PL, 999pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [10 PL, 195pts] ++

+ Heavy Support [10 PL, 195pts] +

Obliterators [10 PL, 195pts]: Obliterator [65pts], Obliterator [65pts], Obliterator [65pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [47 PL, 804pts] ++

+ HQ [16 PL, 270pts] +

Sorcerer [7 PL, 106pts]: Bolt pistol, Force axe [16pts]

Typhus [9 PL, 164pts]

+ Troops [21 PL, 376pts] +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 59pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist [45pts], Flamer [9pts], 9x Replace autogun with autopistol and brutal assault weapon
. Cultist Champion [5pts]: Brutal assault weapon and Autopistol

Plague Marines [12 PL, 197pts]: 7x Plague Marines [147pts], 2x Plasma gun [26pts]
. Plague Champion [24pts]: Boltgun and Bolt pistol, Plaguesword [3pts]

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker [120pts]

+ Fast Attack [10 PL, 158pts] +

Foetid Bloat-drone [10 PL, 158pts]: Plague probe [25pts], 2x Plaguespitter [34pts]

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

That bloat drone did work! It killed 3 units all together. Rolled 12 for it's shots versus a unit of necron warriors, bam!

Holy poo poo though, the amount of shooting that the necron warriors handed out was rough. On the first turn I lost 15 poxwalkers and 5 cultists(Luckily I rolled a 1 and didn't lose anymore to shock).

Somehow my unit of poxwalkers survived with a single model.

And yes, the obliterators charge that hero and beat him to death in melee over 2 rounds of combat.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Agentdark posted:

Oh I am cool with doing some conversion work if I need to

IG command squads are a really good source of one-handed weapon arms and random flavour bits, I've found while building acolytes. Using just one kit is tough, the Bretonnian men-at-arms box was good as a base for conversions like this but I don't think it exists anymore.

Speaking of acolytes, here are some with my almost-finished inquisitor:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Corrode posted:

Yeah people have been skinning up 3 brigades at 2k points. Realistically you don't want quite that many, but it's still funny.

"don't want quite that many"

Speak for yourself. I still dream of my "almost all grots" army to be fielded one day. Just cover the entire side of my board with them and then put the rest in reserve.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What does everyone think of the open war cards?

If I'm playing power levels it's seems like a reasonable thing to try out.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

TKIY posted:

Agreed. Between using power levels and Open War, you can put a really relaxed game together in almost no time at all.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Does anyone in these threads even reply to army list posts

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I find it the most dull bit of the thread. I would rather hear s retrospective after you play it. Otherwise it is just a list of models and points values.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

They look interesting. Perfect for casual play.

goose willis posted:

Does anyone in these threads even reply to army list posts

I do sometimes, but the game is less than a month old and nobody knows what is really effective. I would say folks are better off asking about specific units, or expressing an opinion about a rule or unit so people can tell them how wrong they are.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Agreed. Between using power levels and Open War, you can put a really relaxed game together in almost no time at all.

Yeah I really like them. Even if you have matched armies, it seems like a cool alternate way to determine mission parameters.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I've got three stormravens and a half dozen drop pods, can I still make an all air deployed marine list in 8th ed?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Karandras posted:

I've got three stormravens and a half dozen drop pods, can I still make an all air deployed marine list in 8th ed?

Sure, but 3 ravens and 6 pods is 1500 points. Also half has to start on the board.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
That being said, those Stormravens start on the table now and have really solid rules.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Agentdark posted:

Combining Skitarri Vanguard helmets with a box of Empire state troops would look pretty rad. I think a guy did that for a steampunk-themed guard, but it would probably work better for acolytes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Agentdark posted:

Skitarii, Genestealer Cultists, and Guard command squads are the best places to start. Tempestus Scions and Chaos Cultists are also pretty great, although the latter are limited. After that, WHFB kits are the best places to go. Here's a couple I made:

JackMack posted:

I find it the most dull bit of the thread. I would rather hear s retrospective after you play it. Otherwise it is just a list of models and points values.

Same, I don't think I've replied to an army list post since like... 5th edition save to tell someone they're a bad person for taking 9 quad mortars.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hell mix in old space marine bodies and legs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Thanks everyone! I just bought a box of Empire Flagellants and a Cadian Command Squad, so this should be interesting.

Also, even for a Brigade Detachment, are Setinals even worth taking for the Fast Attack Slot? Or is rough riders the place you want to go?