Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

dud root posted:

Honestly if you're new to the game in 2017 chances are you wont replay it ever again, no matter how much you like it. So play with Biomod or Shifter to get some quality of life improvements

I dunno. I don't think I played DX until at least 2010, and I've certainly replayed it a bunch. You don't have to have played it when it came out to be up for playing it multiple times...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I like biomod plus shifter, but I think it's all included with the recent biomod updates with options to turn on certain things.

And yeah, I feel that playing with no mods didn't improve my experience at all.

Although, certain things are very unbalanced in vanilla, like laser sighting your pistol for perfect accuracy. At least that's how I remember it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

dud root posted:

Honestly if you're new to the game in 2017 chances are you wont replay it ever again, no matter how much you like it. So play with Biomod or Shifter to get some quality of life improvements

I played it first in 2015 and I've beaten it now 3 times. It's just so much better than all it's competirers.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Why is Mankind Divided nearly 75gb.

Human Revolution is just under 20gb.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Why is Mankind Divided nearly 75gb.

Human Revolution is just under 20gb.

Textures. Everything is a blurry mess in HR despite its great art direction. Same reason GTAV is 65gb, even though they actually optimized their game- each texture is 4k, the normal map is 4k, the specular is 4k- you get the picture. Also keep in mind that a 2048 square image is like 4 million pixels; a 4096 is 16 million. Adds up fast. Same reason everyone goes "why is [game] so big" in every thread. That's why.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Hey now, sometimes it's uncompressed video. Metal Gear Rising was terrible about that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
bug in second visit to hell's kitchen in gmdx. after giving a gun to mr renton jojo doesn't move from his spot upstairs. tried reloading several times from before entering the ton, no dice. any suggestions?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

gep gun

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I was always disappointed you couldn't give Mr Renton something cool like a flamethrower or sword

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

<Renton> I'll take the GEP gun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Neurosis posted:

bug in second visit to hell's kitchen in gmdx. after giving a gun to mr renton jojo doesn't move from his spot upstairs. tried reloading several times from before entering the ton, no dice. any suggestions?
Not going to help, but I had the exact same bug well over a year ago.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

Not going to help, but I had the exact same bug well over a year ago.

Oh well. Sorry mr renton your daughter's gonna think you're a bitch.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Spatial posted:

<Renton> I'll take the GEP gun.

The GEP Gun might be useful. They have a cleaning robot on patrol near the lobby entrance.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I pretty much always help out the Rentons cause I like to be a nice guy but I let it play out with JoJo for once and how does he know Paul? I'm sure it makes no difference to how the next bit plays out whatsoever but I thought the dialogue after he takes over the Ton was a nice touch.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Been a while so I can't remember if it gets more explicit, but JoJo is working with the NSF as a means to further his control at street level, and Paul is working with the local NSF.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Yeah, one of the older NSF guys in the liberty statue mission complains to his buddy that "Jojo's a punk who's gonna get us all killed". I don't think there's any deeper connection than that.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think he's technically an NSF colonel? They've been recruiting local forces for their activities.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
if it had been made today, i would be suggesting some dlc showing paul's adventures in nyc and hong kong that got him to turn against unatco. i dunno if i could not break the timeline by killing that bitch jojo, though.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Neurosis posted:

if it had been made today, i would be suggesting some dlc showing paul's adventures in nyc and hong kong that got him to turn against unatco. i dunno if i could not break the timeline by killing that bitch jojo, though.

I swear I heard talk long ago of some fan modders making a project like that. But I don't think anything came from it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
it wouldn't have been a bad idea. maybe they could have explained how, despite being clones, jc has been given a robot larynx while paul sounds like an actual person (jc is loving hilarious and it was perfect for the game).

so, i'm up the mj12 prison, and i'm wondering if this is the point where others give up any pretence of a non-lethal run, too. i use non-lethal on nsf and unatco types because they're both doing what can be considered right on a reasonable moral radar (although with some of the nsf taking hostages that becomes questionable), whereas i assume the mj12 troopers must have really hosed up worldviews and killing them isn't as objectionable (plus at this point non-lethal becomes harder to keep up).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I mean, yes and no, because the MJ12 prison is also in that part of the game where if you can take down an MiB without their exploding you usually get hella prizes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Neurosis posted:

it wouldn't have been a bad idea. maybe they could have explained how, despite being clones, jc has been given a robot larynx while paul sounds like an actual person (jc is loving hilarious and it was perfect for the game).

You may already know this, but just in case someone didn't know, Paul and JC are the same voice actor. I love that bit of trivia.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You may already know this, but just in case someone didn't know, Paul and JC are the same voice actor. I love that bit of trivia.

ahahahaha

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Neurosis posted:

so, i'm up the mj12 prison, and i'm wondering if this is the point where others give up any pretence of a non-lethal run, too. i use non-lethal on nsf and unatco types because they're both doing what can be considered right on a reasonable moral radar (although with some of the nsf taking hostages that becomes questionable), whereas i assume the mj12 troopers must have really hosed up worldviews and killing them isn't as objectionable (plus at this point non-lethal becomes harder to keep up).

I use nonlethal on NSF and UNATCO until UNATCO becomes hostile to you, then I go lethal on UNATCO. I always go lethal on MJ12.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You guys killing MJ12 like you don't know 100% BLACK lives matter

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Neurosis posted:

It's interesting, actually, the game discusses the MJ12 trooper thing. There's a conversation in Paris where a guy gives you a code to the terminal on the streets so you can take over the bots, and his wife yells at him because it might get their son, an MJ12 trooper, killed. I don't remember the conversation line for line or anything but the impression I got is that the guys in black with the dorky helmets don't know much, but that they're also not totally ignorant either. Regardless, it's tougher to hold it against people when the DX setting has crazy high unemployment and poverty levels, very few opportunities for most people to have jobs or lives or prospects at a career, anything like that. The commandos are probably in a lot deeper, harder to justify that, but the basic grunts aren't perhaps much more culpable than the UNATCO guys; after all, they work for the same people.

Oh, and about the voice actor, there was a talk with Warren Spector and some other guys and they said that they told JC's voice actor to have a flat emotionless monotone on purpose and seriously regretted it later.

Caufman posted:

You guys killing MJ12 like you don't know 100% BLACK lives matter

I'm so glad this was what I thought it would be. That slayed me good the first time I played it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Throwing my vote for Biomod being better than vanilla. The only reason you should play vanilla is if you really want to experience what the game was like before we had mods, which would make you a huge sperg so I wouldn't recommend it.
Graphics improvements, bug fixes, and ease of use (UI) mods are fine. But the whole reason they're playing it is because the gameplay that has been praised for so long. They don't care about JC's Xtreme new abilities. They're delving into classic gaming and your personal favorite mods don't matter to them. Welcome to being old if you didn't realize that.

You've never played Chess, before? Well great. Let me introduce you to Extreme Chess. It's even better! Wait... where are you going?

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 8, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

aniviron posted:

I'm so glad this was what I thought it would be. That slayed me good the first time I played it.

Me too

Caufman fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 8, 2017

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Neurosis posted:

You can go balls out against them but just be aware that in Paris at least one of those faceless grunts is some poor couples son. Its a great bit of world building in one random conversation.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Graphics improvements, bug fixes, and ease of use (UI) mods are fine. But the whole reason they're playing it is because the gameplay that has been praised for so long. They don't care about JC's Xtreme new abilities. They're delving into classic gaming and your personal favorite mods don't matter to them. Welcome to being old if you didn't realize that.

You've never played Chess, before? Well great. Let me introduce you to Extreme Chess. It's even better! Wait... where are you going?
The gently caress are you even on about? What's extreme about Biomod?

"Which version of this game I should play?
The one with the most bug and balance fixes."

Done.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

When I was a wee lad I enjoyed making full use of my row of F keys to control each augmentation like I was the loving captain of uh something :colbert:

Point is that even biomod/shifter aren't exactly necessary, vanilla plays fine. Its not like that Vampire game where it adds back loads of content and fixes huge bugs. Iirc shifter/biomod just streamline augs and add in some cool new stuff like phosphorous grenades.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Providing flawless timing of activation and deactivation of augs (making them essentially buffs) is merely a convenience and help to an experienced player who would know precisely when to do those things, anyway, to be a badass bullet-sponge. They get it. They appreciate it. They're not first-timers, so the battles weren't really gonna be tense anyway and they wouldn't be caught unprepared, anyway.
That's not the experience first-time players are supposed to have, though.

We're talking about the perspective of playing the game for the first time and that's exactly what people don't get. No one's saying Biomod isn't the way to play after you've played before and its tactical changes become merely convenience changes for you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

gary oldmans diary posted:

I guess I'm old then because Biomod is better than vanilla. I'm not calling the original bad, its just that there's a thing that's better.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

aniviron posted:

Oh, and about the voice actor, there was a talk with Warren Spector and some other guys and they said that they told JC's voice actor to have a flat emotionless monotone on purpose and seriously regretted it later.

Well they shouldn't, because JC's acting is one of the most memorable things about the game. A remake is essentially impossible because of his voice.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Isn't the VA supposed to be flat, so he's more of a blank slate for the player to project their personality on?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Carpet posted:

Isn't the VA supposed to be flat, so he's more of a blank slate for the player to project their personality on?

Dunno, I liked his personality just fine. Aloof and dickish with an occasional heart of gold worked pretty well for my JC.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The flat delivery was mostly about showing JC's lack of emotion more than anything else, iirc. The game doesn't allude to it beyond some very small specific lines ( "You can't smile, not even for a photograph" etc ) but emotionless and unconvincing lines like "What a shame" are pretty much intentional.

It's one of the few things I think DXHR really does better than DX. I don't think Jensen is a great, well-written character per se, but the voice lines are delivered in a flat, cold way without coming across as boring, which is harder than it sounds.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Also because like a lot of games made at the time there was no real direction or attempt at setting the scene, they just gave the voice actors a big list of lines (often not even in chronological order) and had them rattle them off. That's why a lot of voice acting from that time period is so flat even when it's a professional actor, and why a lot of the times the best performances came from people who actually worked on the game because they knew what the plots and characters were.

e. Not that it's always better now, some of my favorite scuttlebutt to come from the ongoing voice actor strike against the games industry is how common an occurrence it is for somebody to do voice work on a game and not even know what it is or who they're playing until months or even years later they're, say, playing Fallout 4 and run into a character with their voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaOSPUtjidY

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 8, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Voice-acting for protagonists of choicey RPGs seems incredibly tricky. You're trying to present a coherent character despite the central appeal being the ability to create conflicting characters on different playthroughs.

The guy who did the voices for Mike Thorton, the protagonist of Alpha Protocol, has said that at some point they just stopped and re-recorded everything he had done with slightly flatter affect, because the Bond, Bauer, and Bourne personas (think "renegade" vs "not-too-shabby" but less dumb) sounded too different and the effect was "schizophrenic."

Just in case you're reading this thread and haven't played Alpha Protocol, you should go do that a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

aniviron posted:

It's one of the few things I think DXHR really does better than DX. I don't think Jensen is a great, well-written character per se, but the voice lines are delivered in a flat, cold way without coming across as boring, which is harder than it sounds.

And then Jensen suddenly turned into a boring gently caress in MD. The voice acting and writing quality didn't seem to change too much, but somehow the character became far less interesting. Maybe it's because he's got no personal stake in anything?