Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Arachnamus posted:

Found on the streets of Toronto

It bothers me that there are 3 maxims but only two places for illustration in each sign. Also, someone doesn't know how to live well, laugh often, or love deeply, and so those windows are punched out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.redfin.com/MD/Ijamsville/11302-Windsor-Rd-21754/home/15188903

This one has a spooky face in the rear window, so it's out on account of haunting.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

WrenP-Complete posted:

We don't have our financing together yet, so I'm really just noodling around. I found two houses I love and am trying to explore why I love them so much.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Laurel/306-Montgomery-St-20707/home/10712232

I would love your comments, thread.

Just from a gut-feeling perspective, I'm not feeling the first one, but really like the second. Now come up to Philadelphia and I'll walk you around the house and show you all the places I had to sink a ton of money, so that you can understand why my opinions on housebuying likely best are ignored.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

WrenP-Complete posted:

We don't have our financing together yet, so I'm really just noodling around. I found two houses I love and am trying to explore why I love them so much.

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Laurel/306-Montgomery-St-20707/home/10712232

I would love your comments, thread.

I love the outside of the first one and the inside of the second one. They're both very good!

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I think all of us that grew up in the beige shoebox era of home design are really drawn to homes with built-in storage and actual architectural details. So many textures! So much shelving!

I grew up in a 1790 Cape Cod with wood paneling, a couple built-in shelves, wainscoting, crown molding, pine floors with 16" wide boards that run the full length of the room, gigantic brick fireplaces, and exposed mortise and tenon wood beam construction.

Sure nothing is level or square, and the cellar has dry stone walls and a dirt floor; but now I get irrationally upset when I see the soulless boxes that developers throw together.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 8, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I've never lived in a building later than the 1950's and when I go into new-built houses they feel really really gross and soulless for the most part. Sure on the very high end you sometimes get people with money AND taste building nice stuff, but the stuff developers churn out is awful. Not only is it bland it all feels cheap, it feels like off-brand flat-pack furniture that isn't even Ikea quality. Even brand new the veneer is peeling off and all the cut corners are visible the moment you look. And it's all just so bland, and people then fill it full of the same bland furniture and the same bland arts from the same bland big box decor and furniture stores following the same bland trends.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Open plan is lovely until you realise that sound is actually a huge issue and major cause of arguments. I grew up in a house (bungalow) with only bedroom and bathroom doors and it was a nightmare. At one point my parents tried to rig together some sort of western saloon style doors for the kitchen so they had some way of shutting the dogs up but they just went under them. :(

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I've never lived in a building later than the 1950's and when I go into new-built houses they feel really really gross and soulless for the most part. Sure on the very high end you sometimes get people with money AND taste building nice stuff, but the stuff developers churn out is awful. Not only is it bland it all feels cheap, it feels like off-brand flat-pack furniture that isn't even Ikea quality. Even brand new the veneer is peeling off and all the cut corners are visible the moment you look. And it's all just so bland, and people then fill it full of the same bland furniture and the same bland arts from the same bland big box decor and furniture stores following the same bland trends.
This is what happens when people treat houses as investments you happen to occupy until you sell them instead of places you want to live.

More square footage! Make sure you have features X, Y, and Z for resale value! Keep everything nice neutral tones so it looks good in the realtor photos! Don't worry too much about what you'll actually do with all that space and those features you never thought about until now!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TerminalSaint posted:

the cellar has dry stone walls and a dirt floor

Nope. Not after Evil Dead.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have a new favorite blog, written by another enthusiastic kindred spirit of outdoor spaces: https://goodporchesgreatporches.tumblr.com/

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Didn't see a single car :/

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I grew up in a real open 5 level spilt and man, I didn't get any privacy sound-wise and it was a pain to do anything or have a conversation. Had to walk up 3 flights of stairs just to take a phone call.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
There's a house in Chestnut Hill whose porches I've always envied, and it just went up for sale recently. Little bit out of my price range, though. Really, though, for that price in that area the interior is a little underwhelming.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

My parents had a house built in the late 80's and I feel that that was near the end of an era.

A lot of that could be because a lot of the newer developments are almost literally McMansions, and ours still clocked in well under 3k sq. ft.

The floor plans these days, open or not, are way too 'airy' and don't feel cozy at all. Granite, while pretty, doesn't give off a homey vibe. It feels too harsh or industrial.

And, strangely enough, even though so much room is wasted on a kitchen, moving through them can be absurd because the island is not only longer than normal, but it curves or angles in another direction.

I've seen pictures of McMansions for sale that have been around for a while, have obviously have had families in them- but none seem to actually look lived in. It's as if they're overly spacious apartments and the occupants have a fear of the landlord charging them extra.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Baronjutter posted:

And it's all just so bland, and people then fill it full of the same bland furniture and the same bland arts from the same bland big box decor and furniture stores following the same bland trends.

I can understand why the big box furniture sells, it's almost impossible to find things that look good in them, even if you go high end. Any furniture with any style to it sticks out like a sore thumb because it's always right up against a featureless beige wall. I blame the current trend of everything in shades of grey & oatmeal on this.

We're currently house shopping and I cannot communicate that I hate this to my mom at all. Our town is full of adorable Craftsman bungalows, sprawling midcentury ranches, and some lovely (if expensive) Cape Cods, and she emails me probably 3-4 beige rectangles per day. "It's got a 2-car garage! They just redid the kitchen!" It's maddening.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Butts posted:

My parents had a house built in the late 80's and I feel that that was near the end of an era.

A lot of that could be because a lot of the newer developments are almost literally McMansions, and ours still clocked in well under 3k sq. ft.

The floor plans these days, open or not, are way too 'airy' and don't feel cozy at all. Granite, while pretty, doesn't give off a homey vibe. It feels too harsh or industrial.

And, strangely enough, even though so much room is wasted on a kitchen, moving through them can be absurd because the island is not only longer than normal, but it curves or angles in another direction.

I've seen pictures of McMansions for sale that have been around for a while, have obviously have had families in them- but none seem to actually look lived in. It's as if they're overly spacious apartments and the occupants have a fear of the landlord charging them extra.

Lived-in mcmansions have a very rundown chain hotel vibe.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Flat pack makes me very very Cross. Most of my furniture is second hand old lady furniture, because I absolutely refuse to buy flat pack, and it is the only option in the UK unless you want to spend thousands on half decent stuff. I'm not spending £400 on a chuffing chest of draws that comes in 50 parts ever again. People buy this MDF crap, spend a day assembling it, and in five years time instead of being royally pissed off that it's falling apart they treat it as disposable and give more money to these companies. Bugger that, if I'm spending £500 on a table then the drat thing better last at least 100 years.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

There's a house in Chestnut Hill whose porches I've always envied, and it just went up for sale recently. Little bit out of my price range, though. Really, though, for that price in that area the interior is a little underwhelming.

The floor tile in dat bathroom, tho... :syoon:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The floor tile in dat bathroom, tho... :syoon:

I know, right? I was thinking of that for our eventual front bathroom remodel. All three bathrooms have the same bleeargh builder's grade light tan Home Depot tile that you see everywhere, and which was in our kitchen before we removed it. The builder did a crap job with tile and it was coming loose and breaking, and then the contractors refused to lay down more ceramic tile because they thought the floor was too wavy for it to last. I found one type of LVT that I didn't hate and even then the sub-contractors stopped mid-job and refused to lay it down because of a hump in the floor. (They demonstrated how it "couldn't possibly work" by laying centered tile on top of it, when having two tiles meet in the middle worked just fine.)

My uncle, who is in the middle of self-renovating an abandoned church in a spectacular fashion, hypothesized that the original builder probably laid down grout and placed the tile after it started to set and without back-buttering the tile, resulting in, guess what, tile not sticking well. This is supported by the fact that when the inspector came to check out our new A/C unit he noted that he remembered the house and the contractor ... and the contractor literally had narcolepsy and would fall asleep in the middle of projects. Lucky us!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

learnincurve posted:

Flat pack makes me very very Cross. Most of my furniture is second hand old lady furniture, because I absolutely refuse to buy flat pack, and it is the only option in the UK unless you want to spend thousands on half decent stuff. I'm not spending £400 on a chuffing chest of draws that comes in 50 parts ever again. People buy this MDF crap, spend a day assembling it, and in five years time instead of being royally pissed off that it's falling apart they treat it as disposable and give more money to these companies. Bugger that, if I'm spending £500 on a table then the drat thing better last at least 100 years.
I'm on the other side of the pond, but my experience with flat pack furniture is that it really depends on what you buy. I've had this dresser for two decades and it's held up through several moves, despite being 90% particleboard. And a lot of Ikea stuff isn't bad quality for the materials and price, but they have several duds too(I regret buying dining chairs from them).

That's not to say flat pack stuff always looks nice, mind you, but it can hold up well enough.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This may be an odd question but it is a factor in home design: does anyone have a good source for actually, like, good doorbells?

Our current doorbell is the dumbest piece of horse poo poo loving garbage ever. The previous people thought it was a good idea I guess. It plays music, lovingly rendered as the highest quality free geocities midi file that 1997 could produce. You don't get to pick a song though, no no, that would at least let you mitigate the nonsense! No, you get to pick from one of four song sets, three of them being seasonal, the other being a playlist including songs like Brahms' Lullaby or Yankee Doodle. At least it lets me set the volume fairly low, but it's so bad I always take my time getting to the door so that it's done playing its music before I open the door so nobody gets to hear it.

All I can find as replacements are just more cruddy synth recordings of various chimes. I just want a reasonable doorbell that isn't garbage. I've actually thought about building a stringed ringer that strums strings with a little leather flap or something, but maybe that's too eccentric, and almost certainly too quiet. Honestly, I think I'd be perfectly happy with a silent doorbell that just blinks the lights at me, but I have to accommodate the rest of the family, so that's probably out.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 9, 2017

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
We just installed a Ring doorbell. At first I was a bit sceptical due to the price, but it's really useful since we have a cabin in the backyard we're using as a home office. If someone comes to the front door of the house we can either tell them through the speaker to wait for us to come to the door, or ignore them if it's a salesperson or religious door knocker.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It hooks up to your wifi, does the whole thing fall apart if your uplink goes down? Like, does the video on your phone stuff stop working if your internet connection drops? I live semi-rural and am on satellite internet, fml, and the throughput and latency aren't so hot, and it's a fairly touchy connection anyhow. If it were able to operate entirely locally, that'd be one thing, but if it needs to dial home to the manufacturer's servers to do its stuff, I'm out. Which is a common issue for a lot of those IoT doorbells.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bad Munki posted:

This may be an odd question but it is a factor in home design: does anyone have a good source for actually, like, good doorbells?

Our current doorbell is the dumbest piece of horse poo poo loving garbage ever. The previous people thought it was a good idea I guess. It plays music, lovingly rendered as the highest quality free geocities midi file that 1997 could produce. You don't get to pick a song though, no no, that would at least let you mitigate the nonsense! No, you get to pick from one of four song sets, three of them being seasonal, the other being a playlist including songs like Brahms' Lullaby or Yankee Doodle. At least it lets me set the volume fairly low, but it's so bad I always take my time getting to the door so that it's done playing its music before I open the door so nobody gets to hear it.

All I can find as replacements are just more cruddy synth recordings of various chimes. I just want a reasonable doorbell that isn't garbage. I've actually thought about building a stringed ringer that strums strings with a little leather flap or something, but maybe that's too eccentric, and almost certainly too quiet. Honestly, I think I'd be perfectly happy with a silent doorbell that just blinks the lights at me, but I have to accommodate the rest of the family, so that's probably out.

Not sure if you're looking at wired or wireless. Have you looked here at doorbells?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know about doorbells specifically, but architectural salvage might be your best bet for an actual, honest-to-God actual "bell" doorbell. Even if your local salvage guy doesn't have one, they are usually fonts of knowledge about that sort of thing and could point you in the right direction. Plus browsing the salvage place is always a good trip even if you don't get anything - I'm still daydreaming about the day I can afford (both in $ and space) the $10k art deco box office I saw for sale once.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Bad Munki posted:

There are lots of real doorbells with everything from bells to huge fuckoff chimes on the wall, it's not a thing you need to reinvent. There are lots of options, either vintage repro or designed more currently.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's a great space that's not quite my style (I'm extremely over the unicorn trend, for one thing) but look at these walls! I love the texture so much.

There doesn't seem to be any good way for me to link/rehost the images, so click here. It's worth it, I promise.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Wow, there's one deeply buried detail:

quote:

Mucciolo admits that it is important for her that she and her beloved husband live in an apartment that fits them
Is he really on board? Why is he not in the pics? More info in general plz

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anne Whateley posted:

Her beloved husband is the unicorn head mounted on the wall.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Here's a great space that's not quite my style (I'm extremely over the unicorn trend, for one thing) but look at these walls! I love the texture so much.

There doesn't seem to be any good way for me to link/rehost the images, so click here. It's worth it, I promise.

It somehow works much better than it ever should have.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Anne Whateley posted:

Whoa great catch. Maybe this is him?

Edit: Found a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiPLli3MG7A

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 9, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

Her beloved husband is the unicorn head mounted on the wall.

I assumed he held the camera.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anne Whateley posted:

There are lots of real doorbells with everything from bells to huge fuckoff chimes on the wall, it's not a thing you need to reinvent. There are lots of options, either vintage repro or designed more currently.

Oh I know it, I just can't find anything locally and I'm reluctant to buy a doorbell/chime/whatever online without having heard it. Ridiculousness of our current chime aside, I'm kinda picky/sensitive about noises. I wish the various online sources would include, like, a recording of the product, because that's kind of a critical factor of the thing, as in, its primary function.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Amina Mucciolo's instagram is fabulous. Gotta love the commitment to an aesthetic.

Anne Whateley posted:

Her husband has an instagram as well
They're pretty cute together tbh
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPqQtICglnr/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thank you guys for finding the husband info I wanted but was literally too lazy to google! I'm surprised he was omitted, that kinda sucks.

Bad Munki posted:

Oh I know it, I just can't find anything locally and I'm reluctant to buy a doorbell/chime/whatever online without having heard it. Ridiculousness of our current chime aside, I'm kinda picky/sensitive about noises. I wish the various online sources would include, like, a recording of the product, because that's kind of a critical factor of the thing, as in, its primary function.
I'm looking at makers' sites like https://electrachime.com/collections/all and http://www.nutone.com/products/product-line/door-chimes, that have audio. I agree, I wouldn't buy one unheard either.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That's certainly a start, thanks.

You know those really skookum thick-walled aluminum wind chimes, the ones that actually sound incredibly nice instead of cheap and brassy? Corinthian bells or something like that. I want a doorbell that rings tubes like those. That would be my ideal. Long-tube bells, that are actually quality, thick tubes with some actual tone and depth, instead of a thin brass extrusion. If anyone has a lead on such a thing, I'm set.

Anyhow, there's your derail for the day, thanks again. :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you want incredibly nice, I also found this guy. http://www.knockdoorbells.com/vintage_chimes_longbells.htm He restores old ones and also has new ones of his own design. I'm surprised he doesn't have recordings up, but if you're in that end of the pool, you could email and ask and I'm sure he'd give you recordings in equally exhausting detail.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh wow, that 1930s floor cabinet telechime, the one that's not for sale, that's so awesome. Not what I want anyhow, but so cool. That's a pretty nifty collection there.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Bad Munki posted:

It hooks up to your wifi, does the whole thing fall apart if your uplink goes down? Like, does the video on your phone stuff stop working if your internet connection drops? I live semi-rural and am on satellite internet, fml, and the throughput and latency aren't so hot, and it's a fairly touchy connection anyhow. If it were able to operate entirely locally, that'd be one thing, but if it needs to dial home to the manufacturer's servers to do its stuff, I'm out. Which is a common issue for a lot of those IoT doorbells.

If the WiFi or internet connection goes down, you won't be able to access the video or microphone, and it won't ping your phone to let you know that there's someone at the door. It will still chime like an ordinary doorbell though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Youth Decay posted:

Amina Mucciolo's instagram is fabulous. Gotta love the commitment to an aesthetic.

Her husband has an instagram as well
They're pretty cute together tbh
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPqQtICglnr/

This couple looks like they're a lot of fun and I would like to be their friend. I would also like to know how she achieved this multicolored wall effect: