Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cannondellah posted:

Im not racist but I specifically care about helping people in africa which is 99% black
Im not racist but I specifically care about black lives over anybody elses
Im not racist but I dont care if whites dissapear completely from traditionally white countries

1) Why is this a problem
2) Black Lives Matter TOO, not Black Lives Matter ONLY, and if you're so dense you don't understand this...
3) Again, I don't give a poo poo about this and neither does any other sane person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Grapplejack posted:

Soup is easy to make and you can make it in bulk with leftover ingredients, so you can have a less wasteful kitchen.

But this is only the pragmatic reason why EVERYBODY makes soup. Why whiteys love it is still a mystery.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

Black people can be and do get charged with hate crimes, and police will absolutely crack down on this if possible.

The only way to end inter-communal violence is to dismantle the ethnicities themselves that are in conflict. It is a dialectical process and the synthesis is beautiful mixed race babies

The SPLC has on its hatewatch map a category for Black Separatist groups, but the real question for Cannondellah is - what's your favorite soup?

^^^^^^^^

this dude gets it.

Washington Post- Ted Cruz once bought 100 cans of soup, and other facts about him and his family

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 7, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I imagine everyone as being their avatar, is that not the usual way?

Climb on into the clownmobile with the gang!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Squalid posted:

In the grimdark post-racial future, there is only intermarriage!

Guys I don't know if I could take living in an America that looks like Honolulu. What if they make spam musubi mandatory at all social functions? :ohdear:

Why is it that GA gets Chattanooga in joint custody with TN? I mean, it's a nice place I just didn't know we shared it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Red Baron posted:

Why is it that GA gets Chattanooga in joint custody with TN? I mean, it's a nice place I just didn't know we shared it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattanooga,_TN-GA_Metropolitan_Statistical_Area

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HopperUK posted:

I will never be as relaxed as my avatar. :emo:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CmdrRiker posted:

Right, Trump has speechwriters.

This particular speechwriter has a long history of white nationalist rhetoric and was a college buddy of Richard Spencer.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Red Baron posted:

It's near the state line and some of the metro area stretches across the border. Same way Augusta, Georgia is partially in South Carolina.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Alter Ego posted:

1) Why is this a problem
2) Black Lives Matter TOO, not Black Lives Matter ONLY, and if you're so dense you don't understand this...
3) Again, I don't give a poo poo about this and neither does any other sane person.

"Excuse me, but All Lives Matter"

Blue Lives Matter is even worse because it is an explicit counter to the name, saying that cops are more valuable than black citizens. People are such poo poo

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Stephen Miller wrote the speech for Trump and he has been tied to White Supremacists and Neo-Nazis. I think it is important to pay close attention to his chosen verbiage, which in this case includes "calling for a defense of the west." I'm still not smart enough to put the rest of the pieces together for myself.

I accept the idea that we have tons of widely accepted racially coded words. I also accept the idea that organizations/communities can be subtlety reached in this way. Therefore I do not deny that the words chosen in this speech can have this sort of white nationalistic meaning and impact.

What am I supposed to do with this alternative meaning of the word now? Where do I draw the line between conspiracy and miscommunication?

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
Force everyone to gently caress everyone else and no more races after a couple generations.

Problem solved.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"Excuse me, but All Lives Matter"

Blue Lives Matter is even worse because it is an explicit counter to the name, saying that cops are more valuable than black citizens. People are such poo poo

If anyone has any productive method of convincing the All/BlueLM people that they've missed the point, please let me know. Sucks to give up on your friends because they might be irredeemable racists.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CmdrRiker posted:

Stephen Miller wrote the speech for Trump and he has been tied to White Supremacists and Neo-Nazis. I think it is important to pay close attention to his chosen verbiage, which in this case includes "calling for a defense of the west." I'm still not smart enough to put the rest of the pieces together for myself.

I accept the idea that we have tons of widely accepted racially coded words. I also accept the idea that organizations/communities can be subtlety reached in this way. Therefore I do not deny that the words chosen in this speech can have this sort of white nationalistic meaning and impact.

What am I supposed to do with this alternative meaning of the word now? Where do I draw the line between conspiracy and miscommunication?

You draw it based on context and your life experience. Which may differ from others.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cannondellah posted:

its the only place you can post things that safe space babies like something awful posters cant deal with seeing. Literal 100 person black lynch mobs literally hunting for whites in the streets to beat, strip and rob openly in the street.

gently caress off, nazi.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Jaxyon posted:

You draw it based on context and your life experience. Which may differ from others.

I already did that and I got yelled at in here.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/883399405398671367
https://twitter.com/dimsmirnov175/status/883383295416860672

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

CmdrRiker posted:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Am I going to be shot for having queso blanco in my fridge and Arabian Adventures books as part of my D&D collection yet?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

scuz posted:

If anyone has any productive method of convincing the All/BlueLM people that they've missed the point, please let me know. Sucks to give up on your friends because they might be irredeemable racists.

Some success in explaining that Black Lives Matter doesn't mean "more" but instead "too" but only works if the person is a close friend/family and actually being honest about the mistake.

But most of the folks have internalized beliefs that Black Lives don't Matter that they aren't admitting to so you're not actually fixing a misconception you're instead fighting them being racist, so good luck on that.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

mango sentinel posted:

It's near the state line and some of the metro area stretches across the border. Same way Augusta, Georgia is partially in South Carolina.

Well, there I go learning things again. I'm gonna have to move out of this state if this doesn't stop.

(Thanks for filling me in!)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CmdrRiker posted:

Conspiracy becomes obvious in context and by the message's communicator and composer. If the speech were delivered by Wyatt Earp the phrase "the west" would have completely different meaning. Not a great example, but it's what I, a historical dunce, have to offer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

HopperUK posted:

I am a Green Lantern getting a back rub/beaten up by parademons, but on weekends I am a parademon beating up/giving a back rub to a Green Lantern.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jaxyon posted:

Some success in explaining that Black Lives Matter doesn't mean "more" but only works if the person is a close friend/family and actually being honest about the mistake.

But most of the folks have internalized beliefs that Black Lives don't Matter that they aren't admitting to so you're not actually fixing a misconception you're instead fighting them being racist, so good luck on that.

The hardest part about this is that I mostly see people countering with "well if they obeyed the law then they wouldn't have the police after them".

To them it's "Black Criminals Lives Matter", ignoring absolutely everything that BLM or the black community as a whole has been trying to say.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Madkal posted:

I am a Green Lantern getting a back rub/beaten up by parademons, but on weekends I am a parademon beating up/giving a back rub to a Green Lantern.

I've been inhaling for the past several years, it's getting uncomfortable.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The hardest part about this is that I mostly see people countering with "well if they obeyed the law then they wouldn't have the police after them".

To them it's "Black Criminals Lives Matter", ignoring absolutely everything that BLM or the black community as a whole has been trying to say.

I'm afraid that there's a reason why they interpret it that way.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jaxyon posted:

Some success in explaining that Black Lives Matter doesn't mean "more" but instead "too" but only works if the person is a close friend/family and actually being honest about the mistake.

The absence of the word "too" at the outset of the movement has been a sticking point for me. Then I think about it for a little longer and decide that even if it had started as "Black Lives Matter, Too" that racist buffoons would figure out a way to twist it to fit their views.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This is another wall that pops up in the discourse and when you try to point out things like "the police see every person of color as a criminal without provocation" they come back with things like "well better safe than sorry" which makes me cringe and quietly unfriend them on facebook.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm not Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's because they're racists, and you won't be able to move them.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shifty Nipples posted:

I'm not Neil deGrasse Tyson.
I'm not a shmorification of Bob Mould.

...didn't Shmorky turn out to be a transphobic hillbilly or something? I missed something there.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Stephen Miller is a literal Nazi but Trump might literally too stupid to follow through with that implication.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

scuz posted:

...didn't Shmorky turn out to be a transphobic hillbilly or something? I missed something there.

Turns out they're bad. Do not investigate.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

scuz posted:

The less you know about Shmorky, the happier you'll be. Trust me.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CmdrRiker posted:

I already did that and I got yelled at in here.

Why do we fall down?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Stop looking into schmorky right now, down that path lies only a severe drinking problem.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scuz posted:

He liked to pretend to gently caress children, spoke in a falsetto, and wore dirty diapers because he got off to it.

That's not the worst of it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Guys, I need help. I am trying to find white continents on a map, and I can only find one, and its full of snowflakes.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 7, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Turtlicious posted:

He liked to pretend to gently caress children, spoke in a falsetto, and wore dirty diapers because he got off to it.

That's not the worst of it.

"pretend"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I paid Smorkey $5 for an avatar twice.

I feel like I helped enable something terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've thought about making a thread to discuss the split between nationalism and group/ideological loyalty that we've seen a big resurgence in vs. Internationalism/globalism but I can't imagine that thread having much actual discussion.

• Locked thread