Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

https://cheeaun.github.io/repokemon/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
fart

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

why

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MeruFM posted:

Kafka added exactly-one option which doesn't seem possible without a true transactional system.

https://www.confluent.io/blog/exactly-once-semantics-are-possible-heres-how-apache-kafka-does-it/

someone smart tell me if this is real or if they're just blowing smoke up everyone's rear end

my lovely understanding is that the smoke and mirrors hide in "semantics". the new thing doesnt deliver once, it receives once, which is good but not ideal and certainly not a solution to mathematically impossible problem

e: also they seem to be tiptoeing alot about consumer end of things

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 6, 2017

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

MeruFM posted:

Kafka added exactly-one option which doesn't seem possible without a true transactional system.

https://www.confluent.io/blog/exactly-once-semantics-are-possible-heres-how-apache-kafka-does-it/

someone smart tell me if this is real or if they're just blowing smoke up everyone's rear end

the short answer is that they added transactions. it's not exactly-once, but if 100% of your state is in kafka then it's equivalent to exactly-once and if you have reversible non-kafka state then they give you hooks to let you roll back incomplete things.

i don't want to poo poo on it too hard since they genuinely did build something nontrivial and useful for what kafka is intended to be used for, but calling it exactly-once delivery is an overstatement

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

MeruFM posted:

out of the many places in your systems where messages might be resent between the initiator and the final receiver, given some optimistic assumptions about your pipeline, and with some meticulous bookkeeping on your part, this seems able to eliminate one cause on duplicates in the place where they largely weren't happening

like it might be theoretically sound, but it assumes a message is born and written directly to kafka and every process step as well as the final destination is also kafka. maybe that's how the big customers are using it

compare to https://segment.com/blog/exactly-once-delivery/ where they identify where most of their resends are coming from (before the message even touches kafka) and set up one big-rear end deduplication step
they could use the kafka transaction thing after that i guess. newly added kafka features tend to be really buggy though

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

So I guess Xurkitree was created by a bored Pokemon creator who was looking around their desk for inspiration?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

I'm the c#/c++

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This is some bullshit.

Krebase should obviously be Avalugg

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm the second hadoop, but not the first one.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
hadoop, hadoop, hadoop is on fire

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

This is some bullshit.

Krebase should obviously be Avalugg

dont hate dplyr

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Skim Milk posted:

dont hate dplyr

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/883420803492130817

:toot:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
is this like othello?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

schranz kafka posted:

hadoop, hadoop, hadoop is on fire

we don't need no schema let the data-fscker burn

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

is this like othello?

sort of, it’s a clone of the arcade game Ataxx. each player starts with two pieces at opposite corners of the board from the opponent. you can either place a piece adjacent to one of your existing pieces or move one of your pieces 2 squares in any direction. any adjacent enemy pieces are flipped and whoever has the most pieces at the end wins. there are also randomly-placed blocker tiles in the arcade game that I haven’t added yet. the code also supports different board sizes than 8x8.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I just saw code that iterates over an array recursively. It was surreal

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

UnfurledSails posted:

good ol' lisp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

trip report so far: SceneKit is good and lets the artistically challenged like me come up with a decent UI and cool animations for my board game

GameplayKit is good and I figured out how to abuse the state machine classes to store my game logic to keep it separate from the SKScene

I might actually be able to commercialize this if I can figure out how the multiplayer component works

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

UnfurledSails posted:

my favorite was someone who wrote all their iteration backwards because they learned that (some old and or bad) c compilers would compiler iterating to 0 more efficiently

also did they use foldl or foldr

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

UnfurledSails posted:

I dunno, doing it recursively seems slightly more efficient to me.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

FamDav posted:

my favorite was someone who wrote all their iteration backwards because they learned that (some old and or bad) c compilers would compiler iterating to 0 more efficiently

Reminds me of the memcpy changes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don’t know how to use photoshop so I just wrote a pixel shader that does the cool gradient effect I wanted for these UI elements in my game

am I doing it right

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don’t know how to use photoshop so I just wrote a pixel shader that does the cool gradient effect I wanted for these UI elements in my game

am I doing it right

yes. never change

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

good news: the GameplayKit AI works

bad news: something's getting crossed-up somewhere and the AI thinking gets applied to the actual game board lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

good news: the GameplayKit AI works

bad news: something's getting crossed-up somewhere and the AI thinking gets applied to the actual game board lol

leave it in as hard mode

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol

I fixed it and thanks to snack overflow figured out how to fire off the AI processing in the background :toot:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

David Leinweber posted:

Give someone a program, you frustrate them for a day; teach them how to program, you frustrate them for a lifetime.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
a survey of many wrong way to implement round(), thanks to golang refusing to provide it in the standard library because it is "trivial" https://www.cockroachlabs.com/blog/rounding-implementations-in-go/

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

UnfurledSails posted:

after years of erlang this is the only way i know how to do this

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the talent deficit posted:

wow... just wow

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

foldl/foldr

cinci zoo sniper posted:

wow... just wow

i'm not sure what alternative you're supposed to have in a language without mutable variables???

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Arcsech posted:

a survey of many wrong way to implement round(), thanks to golang refusing to provide it in the standard library because it is "trivial" https://www.cockroachlabs.com/blog/rounding-implementations-in-go/

The round() functions weren't in the C standard library (math.h) until C11.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arcsech posted:

i'm not sure what alternative you're supposed to have in a language without mutable variables???
please dont confront me with complex concepts, i am not a tourist in this thread

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Arcsech posted:

yeah, this is the kind of thing where a cocky codelord just says "heh don't you know how to round, nub?". but my terrible programmer self just flashes back to my computer organization class when we had to learn ieee 754 and do it by hand on the exams

(cue music from horror movie)

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 9, 2017

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

There Will Be Penalty posted:

this isn't surprising though because c's standard library is known to be godawful

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Arcsech posted:

Pretty much all of Reuters uses std::floor(x + 0.5) from what I have seen in the analytics and distribution systems :ohdear:

Kind of extreme fail cases though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
[quote="“MrMoo”" post="“474202853”"]
Pretty much all of Reuters uses std::floor(x + 0.5) from what I have seen in the analytics and distribution systems :ohdear:

Kind of extreme fail cases though.
[/quote]

extreme fail cases in operations taken for granted is exactly the kind of poo poo you put into the stdlib

save some feet from the footguns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

There Will Be Penalty posted:

c99? http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/numeric/math/round

• Locked thread