Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Checking for demolished houses - every hour, on the hour - makes me want to self harm :)

And yes, everyone in this thread should play FF:T. It's very satisfying to break that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Checking for demolished houses - every hour, on the hour - makes me want to self harm :)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kaldaris posted:

I've got to be honest with myself. While I really REALLY!!(!) like the new Samurai class. A big or small part of me is really disappointed that we don't do blade releases. (Like p. much every Samurai class ever)

isn't that just what ninja does

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I encountered one in the wild: a pubbie who said they never did a single class quest after getting their job.

That was not a good dungeon run.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Harrow posted:

I like that they sort of represent this in gameplay terms, too. Red Mages use their own aether to cast spells, and to do that without killing themselves they need to draw very little and amplify it with an outside tool. So Red Mage spells have really low MP costs relative to other casters because they draw less aether, but because you're not drawing aether from any outside source, your methods for restoring your MP are really limited (specifically, limited to a role skill).

It would probably be impossible to make it work, but I've always wished that rather than Convert, becoming a black mage finally gave you access to the "Umbral Ice" status. That'd make the story stuff about thaumaturges being limited to their body's own aether while black mages have functionally limitless power by drawing on the rest of the world more immediately relevant.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

It would probably be impossible to make it work, but I've always wished that rather than Convert, becoming a black mage finally gave you access to the "Umbral Ice" status. That'd make the story stuff about thaumaturges being limited to their body's own aether while black mages have functionally limitless power by drawing on the rest of the world more immediately relevant.

The way it is now, though, it's clear Cocobusi's brothers were lying to him because they're assholes. That seems more appropriate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

It's been a long time since I did the Black Mage job quest, but wouldn't it make more sense if Convert represented you starting to tap into your body's own power, given that it drains your HP to give you MP? Or is that just its gameplay function and what you're actually doing is drawing aether from the world around you?

I clearly don't remember Black Mage lore at all.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Harrow posted:

If you want that, make sure you play the original version of the game, not War of the Lions. They removed all the goofy attack cries in WotL :smith:

The fact that "Silence! Surrender or die in obscurity!" was removed in WotL still disappoints me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pikavangelist posted:

The fact that "Silence! Surrender or die in obscurity!" was removed in WotL still disappoints me.

Same for "Blame yourself or God." The translators had their priorities all hosed up.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Harrow posted:

It's been a long time since I did the Black Mage job quest, but wouldn't it make more sense if Convert represented you starting to tap into your body's own power, given that it drains your HP to give you MP? Or is that just its gameplay function and what you're actually doing is drawing aether from the world around you?

I clearly don't remember Black Mage lore at all.

Yeah, that you unlock black mage, the job that can finally draw on the world's aether than use the caster's own, and immediately learn the skill that trades HP for MP is pretty absurd. I guess you can pretend that drawing on surrounding aether is physically taxing and that's why you lose HP for doing it (it's not like you use HP every time you get a mana regen tick), but it's definitely suboptimal in terms of the supporting flavor text.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Valkyrie Profile kept all of its edgelord spell incantations in its PSP remake

They're pretty good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, that you unlock black mage, the job that can finally draw on the world's aether than use the caster's own, and immediately learn the skill that trades HP for MP is pretty absurd. I guess you can pretend that drawing on surrounding aether is physically taxing and that's why you lose HP for doing it (it's not like you use HP every time you get a mana regen tick), but it's definitely suboptimal in terms of the supporting flavor text.

Is it ever discussed where other casters draw power? Conjurers/White Mages get power from the elementals, Black Mages draw from the land around them, Red Mages draw from their own aether reserves and amplify their spells with an aetheric accelerator to accomplish more than they otherwise could with their personal aether reserves. What about Arcanists and Astrologians?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pikavangelist posted:

quote:

Miluda: Who do you think you are!? We're not animals! We're
human, just like you! There's no difference among us other
than our families! You ever been hungry? With only soup to eat
for months? Why do we have to suffer? Because you nobles
deprive us our right to live!

Algus: Human? Hmph, ridiculous! From the minute you were born
you had to obey us! From the second you were born you were our
animals!!

Miluda: Says who!? That's nonsense! Who decided all this?!

Algus: It's the Will of Heaven!

Miluda: Heaven? God would never say such things! In his eyes,
all are equal! He'd never let this happen! Never!

Algus: Animals have no God!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is it ever discussed where other casters draw power? Conjurers/White Mages get power from the elementals, Black Mages draw from the land around them, Red Mages draw from their own aether reserves and amplify their spells with an aetheric accelerator to accomplish more than they otherwise could with their personal aether reserves. What about Arcanists and Astrologians?

Astrologians attune themselves to the stars and are able to draw power from them while Arcanists use a form of geometric symbology to shape their own aether.

Basically Astrologians got a different outside power source while Arcanists are sort of like Red Mage in that they have a method to amplify their techniques using an outside resource. (Their grimoire in this case.)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Harrow posted:

I forget if astrologians directly draw power from the stars or just enjoy their blessings in some less tangible way. Arcanists probably use their own aether (and in fact, using one's own aether is just the default way magic is performed). Of course, summoners channel the power of primals they've defeated and scholars... might just keep drawing on their own aether, and have a combination of very well-calibrated and efficient magic plus a fairy to offload some of the burden onto?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Astrologians attune themselves to the stars and are able to draw power from them while Arcanists use a form of geometric symbology to shape their own aether.

Ahh, that's right. I forgot about the symbology (which I shouldn't have, because they use it pretty heavily in the casting animations).

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Astrologians draw aether from space, they know how to do this because the alignment of the stars predicts where that aether will be at any given moment.

Astrologians are space mages.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Part of me wants to level White Mage as my healer because throwing rocks at things is a great way to fight and they get cool canes, but Astrologian is way too cool to pass up. The animations own and I love the cards too much to give them up.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Arcanists use math runes as a focus for their magic.

Which really does explain why Limsa dumped all the shipping logistics business bullshit on the Arcanist's Guild actually.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Which really does explain why Limsa dumped all the shipping logistics business bullshit on the Arcanist's Guild actually.

Arcanists' magic is powered by belief in mathematical laws, is what you're saying. :science:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Saint Freak posted:

You can pick up FFT these days for just a S M A L L A M O U N T O F C U R R E N C Y.

But TA2 is still 'the good one'.

This is the wrongest post on the thread. TA 1 and 2 are both garbage compared to the original.

I'd say the original Tactics Ogre is better than either of them but TO's friendly NPC AI is suicidal in ways that make FFT's Riovanes Rooftop fight look pleasant.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I remember something along the lines of carbuncles being made entirely out of extremely complicated geometry with a small amount of aether applied. Basically I think the whole point of arcanist and its 2 jobs is finding creative efficient ways of using their own aether to achieve the desired results rather than slamming people with magic the way whm and blm do. The book is like a diary combined with a cheat sheet.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 7, 2017

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Saint Freak posted:

You can pick up FFT these days for just a S M A L L A M O U N T O F C U R R E N C Y.

I own like three copies of the original FFT. I got about halfway through TA1 when I gave up because the game just felt a little bit dumbed down to me, and a whole heckin' lot easier. But I don't know! I like some of the new stuff TA added, but not that stupid rules/judges system. Ew.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's even better: the arcanists are responsible for not only collecting customs and duties but enforcing it, conducting investigations, etc as well.

The Roegadyn pirates with giant axes and guns hired the little cat girls with books to be their border police.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

hobbesmaster posted:

The Roegadyn pirates with giant axes and guns hired the little cat girls with books to be their border police.

And yet Limsa is still crawling with pirates. They're woefully mistaken if they think "catgirl that can give you a dozen diseases in a few seconds" will scare people off.

Balmung is proof of this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

It's even better: the arcanists are responsible for not only collecting customs and duties but enforcing it, conducting investigations, etc as well.

The arcanist guild mentions that it got started among the roegadyn - it started as a magical art practiced by roegadyn navigators. When Limsa Lominsa was settled, new applications were found for the only literate pirates in the fleet and the arcanist's guild has grown in size and influence since then.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Arcanists gain their power looking at circles in the book

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It's why the powerful spell animations involve closing the book, it's so they can look at the circle again afterwards

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is the wrongest post on the thread. TA 1 and 2 are both garbage compared to the original.

I'd say the original Tactics Ogre is better than either of them but TO's friendly NPC AI is suicidal in ways that make FFT's Riovanes Rooftop fight look pleasant.

FFTA2 was good and your avatar is Yoda raping Luke Skywalker.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
so is everyone's who posted in the USPOL thread in D&D over the course of a day or so, back in like last may or something

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I always wondered what the story was behind that avatar and why so many people had it and who got mad enough to buy it for all of them.

Also all the weird Riker-with-the-Fracture-icon-for-eyes avatars in this thread but I didn't ask before now because it seemed like a can of worms.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ularg posted:

Man, it amazes me how they got to turn the ending of 1.0 into the story used in Realm Reborn. Story quests remain endlessly entertaining.

I was so intrigued by this that it's honestly part of why I got into the game last year. It's like a super unique concept and one that took a lot of guts to go with. And they actually pulled it off. That opening cutscene to ARR is probably one of the most memorable to me in gaming. And I've played a fair share of vidya.

Saint Freak posted:

No.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
somebody just bought a lot avatars for the thread. someone had a breakdown about it, but as far as i know it wasn't really precipitated by anything.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

What would cause tanks to get one-shot killed against Susano Ex? I was seeing it on rare occasions in PF groups but I haven't got a tank above 35 yet so I'm not sure if there's some sort of telegraphed attack that requires a tank skill or something. It's not the everybody-stack attack

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gotta fund SA somehow I guess.

Well he has a tankbuster, but it's rather well telegraphed.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
tanks die if they don't swap after buster, generally. is that it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

What would cause tanks to get one-shot killed against Susano Ex? I was seeing it on rare occasions in PF groups but I haven't got a tank above 35 yet so I'm not sure if there's some sort of telegraphed attack that requires a tank skill or something. It's not the everybody-stack attack

Maybe not doing a tank swap after Stormsplitter? It's a tankbuster that applies a slashing resist down debuff, so if you get hit by another you're toast.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Are... are they standing in the void zone?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Countblanc posted:

FFTA2 was good and your avatar is Yoda raping Luke Skywalker.

US Pol had a much darker 'benefactor' last year than the FFXIV thread's Riker Claus.

And FFTA being good is one (debatable) thing, saying it's better than FFT is another (and wrong).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The tankbuster does a fuckton of damage, and there's a slash vuln debuff + AA right after it. If the OT doesn't swap properly, the MT is dumpstered.

He also has a few untelegraphed AA tankbusters in phase one that can be hard to react to if the healers aren't prepared. This can all be ~50K in a matter of GCDs.