Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean yeah you lose your lower peripheral vision below the level of the gauges but the only poo poo that's going to be in there is stuff that was in your central field of view a couple of seconds ago, unless you're riding crosswise through a herd of cats or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Full face helmets limit airflow to the face and thus impede cops' ability to smell crime

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

Full face helmets limit airflow to the face and thus impede cops' ability to smell crime

And reefer.

Imagine if there was a type of helmet that could flip between being dull face and 3/4? One that was extensively tested with law enforcement and civilians the world over. What a magical world that would be.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Imagine if cops weren't retards

I officially passed my polygraph

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Imagine if cops weren't retards

I officially passed my polygraph

So do they just not ask you about all your horrible illegal perversions and undiscovered felonies or what?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Finger Prince posted:

And reefer.

Imagine if there was a type of helmet that could flip between being dull face and 3/4? One that was extensively tested with law enforcement and civilians the world over. What a magical world that would be.

:crossarms:

https://www.revzilla.com/modular-motorcycle-helmets

Edit: Good god I am loving stupid and didn't read your entire post :doh::hf::downs:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Carth Dookie posted:

So do they just not ask you about all your horrible illegal perversions and undiscovered felonies or what?

Just gotta be truthful about them and you're good!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

big money big clit posted:

Lol

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Carth Dookie posted:

Clearly they didn't talk to my insurance companies

big money big clit posted:

You've got to tell the right amount of truth.

None.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

M42 posted:

Tbf cops in the states wear brain buckets and dress pants on harleys, so it's not even close to what I've got on.

Around here they wear modular helmets and ride BMW R1200s or Kawasaki C14s
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Portland_police_motor_unit.jpg

vOv

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Last month I found out unmarked police bikes are a thing here, so basically any white helmet yellow hi-viz on a litre+ sport tourer could be a rozzer :cop:

Well, not quite any, because their vest and helmet do say POLICE on them... but good luck spotting that if they're behind you. And if they're in front of you, it could actually be one of these cunts:

PS: the police are totally fine with this. Whee!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol, that owns

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
I did my BikeSafe course in London with some kitted out police riders, it was like we had a noclip cheat for London traffic

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Just about at my 1 year anniversary for both riding & owning my bike. Got it back from the first real service (not break-in) today.

I got scolded by the mechanic for using my rear brake too much. I just about wore the pads down to bare metal in like 5k miles of riding. I got myself in the habit of just covering & dragging the rear brake any time I needed to slow down. I'd use rear & engine breaking and only use the front when it was time to totally stop all movement. That, and I do a ton of inner-city riding so I often drag the rear brake to get some stability while moving super slow.

So now I'm doing some retraining of myself to rely on the front a whole lot more. Overall longevity and everyday use wasn't really covered in the MSF course I took last summer. This seems like a weird question to be asking for someone who has been riding for a year, but how do you all use the brakes? Riding around at lunch I tried not using the rear brake except to even out the weight when it was time to come to a smooth/complete stop. It's that simple?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Here is a personal owners review of my new FZ-10 that nobody asked for.

Over the last few years I've ridden mostly dirt, Enduro riding. Before that I spent several years getting most of my on-road miles at the track and a little street here and there. My favorite bikes I've owned have all been nakeds (1098 StreetFighter) or supermotos (See avatar). I'm a 10 year old at heart who never gets tired of wheelies and my favorite bike in production right now has to be the SuperDuke. The 2017 fixed all the issues I had with the previous SDR (Traction control and it's anti-wheelie, and relatively simple electronics) but it is a 20K+ bike out the door optioned the way I want it. So when my wife told me I should go buy a motorcycle now that we've hit some life goals, I went shopping for the closest thing and pretty quickly decided on the FZ-10.

I considered the S1000R, SuperDuke R, Aprilia Tuono and FZ-10. The FZ-10 just really starts to look like awesome value when you compare it directly against the Euro makes at 13K vs 16-20K. I really wanted a Tuono but for the same price you're shopping lightly used or slightly older and I was honestly impatient and our local inventory wasn't hot when I was looking to buy. The FZ-10 makes an almost as good or equality good sound based on personal preference and will still be running fine 10K miles from now. Point Yamaha.

The S1000R seemed a bit clinical for me and the SDR was $$$ I didn't want to spend.

I paid a hair over 13K OTD after TTL and such. With the correct wheels of course.

Pictured here with a friends FJ-09 on loan while we wait for my wifes Duke 390 which is on order

My immediate impression on my first 10 seconds with the bike was that I wish it had a hydraulic clutch and the motor sounds incredible. Some adjustment on the clutch helped a lot but it's been a long time since I've had a cable clutch and it feels super foreign to me now. We're adjusting. The motor owns the show the moment you get moving. It's punchy and feels like a big fast moving V-twin, with a little bit of lump to it in the lower and mid revs really making it feel like it's Italian at times. Peak torque (something like 80 ftlb) is around 7500 RPM or so allowing you to get into the meat of the matter quite often even when zipping around town. The gearing is really tall but still somehow hilariously short. If you go full throttle in first, second or third gear, even with TC on the mid setting and the engine in the mildest throttle map, you *will* get the front wheel off the ground. It just wants to point sky high all the time. It takes a pretty conscious action of putting your weight forward and managing acceleration to keep the front wheel on the pavement if you are riding aggressively below 80 MPH. A lot of throttle and a bump in the road will see the front coming up in 4th, or a rise and fall in the road might catch you flying in 5th.

It reminds me a lot of the personality of the SuperDuke in that regard. If you are ready to let the devil out a bit you'll find no angel on the other shoulder holding you back.

Chassis wise it handles basically how a hyper-naked or super-naked or w/e you wanna call it should. Sporty yet lively. Maybe a tad too lively for serious corner carving. I think I'd want more weight over the front before I took it to a track . I spent a few hours playing with the clickers and adjustments and found a generally much stiffer setting that made it feel a lot more planted in the corners. I'm tall and heavy and need to revalve/respring to do it properly but that can wait, the stock kit is good enough for now. I can't wait to get it around a road course though and cut loose. It's going to embarrass lots of liter bikes. Passing dudes at full tuck while you one-wheel-squeal past them on the straight is what these bikes are all about.

Cruise control is amazing and all bikes should have it. Traction control has 4 settings: 1 (LOL have fun, I got you, no anti-wheelie), 2 (I wont let you slide too much, no anti-wheelie), 3 (Hold your hand, wheelie control), and full OFF. ABS front/back is always on and is actually a bit too aggressive for my tastes. If you try to do a gentle stoppie you'll feel the ABS kick in and stop you. I haven't had a chance to try it at the track yet to see if it gets in the way of hard braking but I'm a little concerned it might engage too often. You can only disable it by pulling a fuse (or, by riding a wheelie so long it disables itself).

Speaking of brakes, there is plenty of power but the feel is a bit crap. The lines are rubber and the stock pads are a little conservative, I'm thinking. I'm going to try a set of Brembo Street/Track pads and see how that firms it up and then try lines after that. If that doesn't bring it where I want it I'll put a radial master cylinder on it. I like a really firm 1 finger front brake and this is a long way from that the way it is. More than enough power, just not great feel stock.

Last point on electronics are the engine modes. Follow along here because this poo poo doesn't make any sense:

For the FZ-10 (and only the FZ-10, compared to the rest of the Yamaha line) there are 3 modes (in the following order). All modes give full power, but they vary how quickly the butterflies operate to your request.
STD: Smoothest map
A: A lot more aggressive than STD
B: Most aggressive (shockingly so)

I'm in STD (which would be much better named STN or... anything but S-T-D) 95% of the time. The throttle response still has some rough edges at times but is very good around town. A is a lot more jerky and B is hilariously jerky. I like an aggressive throttle response and had no issues with bikes such as the 690 where people bitch endlessly, but it's a bit much on the off/on transition. Throw your head back stuff. I'm lucky that my local tuner in Seattle is like *the* expert with these things, he can do a lot to smooth those out and give you great gains for rock bottom prices. I'll be doing that ASAP.

I'm 6'4" and I find the seating position pretty drat comfortable with a nice reach to the bars and good peg height. I'm planning a longer trip in August and will probably add a wind shield, comfort seat and some luggage for that trip. They make a MT-10 Touring edition in the Europe market so I figure it should kit nicely when I want it to.

I'm averaging 100 miles per tank before the E light comes on at 24.4 MPG over 650 miles so far. Granted I've been beating on it but... lol. I'd rate fuel economy at poor to laughable.

Modding plans are to remove the cat with a link-pipe, leaving the stock exhaust can on. Reflash and tune the ECU for that and pick up those free gains and smooth the throttle response. The factory quick-shifter plug-n-play kit is $200, but I want the Auto-Blipper which is $700 for that up/down action.

So when it's all said an done I'm probably looking at 2k or so upgrades over the 13k MSRP, so for 15K did I buy the right bike? I'm convinced. I've come to love this thing not just because its great value but it really stands out as what it is. That engine is just incredible. It sounds like a M1 GP bike and just has a lovely power spread. I think it looks 'awesome' but I'd never call it 'beautiful'. I'm glad it has loud and proud wheels. It's the least Japanese, Japanese bike I've ever ridden stock. Rough edges (throttle map) and wild, not-reserved personality that really tickles my riding style. It's a comfortable well handling well equipped bike that can eat miles and go completely bezerk anytime you want. It's like Yamaha went crazy. I love it. It's the most SuperDuke bike outside of a SuperDuke and I could think of a handful of reasons I'd rather have one of these than a pre-2017 SDR.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 6, 2017

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Cool write up, I agree that the bike sounds wicked. I still think the front is kind of goofy looking but it's not the worst thing ever (re:striple looking at you)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I think the FZ-10 is the bee's knees. I just couldn't justify picking up another super naked given how tamely I rode my FZ1, and I get the feeling that the FZ-10 is a world away from that bike in terms of aggression. Hopefully they bring the FZ-10SP to the US at some point. I've fallen in love with electronic semi-active suspension, and the TFT screen is supafly.

The looks might be polarizing but it looks WAY better up front than the new FZ-09 does. To me, at least.

Razzled posted:

Cool write up, I agree that the bike sounds wicked. I still think the front is kind of goofy looking but it's not the worst thing ever (re:striple looking at you)

Motodemic makes a round headlight conversion kit for the Striple that straightens that bug-eyed mess right out.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 6, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm still on the edge about the fz-10s looks. I'm really bothered by the front end but I think if I was able to ride one I wouldn't care. Unfortunately when I was shopping for a bike there was only 1 in the area and I was not able to test ride it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Fender posted:

Just about at my 1 year anniversary for both riding & owning my bike. Got it back from the first real service (not break-in) today.

I got scolded by the mechanic for using my rear brake too much. I just about wore the pads down to bare metal in like 5k miles of riding. I got myself in the habit of just covering & dragging the rear brake any time I needed to slow down. I'd use rear & engine breaking and only use the front when it was time to totally stop all movement. That, and I do a ton of inner-city riding so I often drag the rear brake to get some stability while moving super slow.

So now I'm doing some retraining of myself to rely on the front a whole lot more. Overall longevity and everyday use wasn't really covered in the MSF course I took last summer. This seems like a weird question to be asking for someone who has been riding for a year, but how do you all use the brakes? Riding around at lunch I tried not using the rear brake except to even out the weight when it was time to come to a smooth/complete stop. It's that simple?

How did you make it through the MSF course without absorbing the "70-80% of your stopping power comes from the front brake" statistic?

For that matter, how have you been on this forum for a year without absorbing that? Or a motorcycle rider with the internet?

And yes, it's that simple. Stop using your rear brake so drat much. I change my rear pads maybe every other time I do the front.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 6, 2017

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How did you make it through the MSF course without absorbing the "70-80% of your stopping power comes from the front brake" statistic?

poo poo, where did I write that? I don't think I wrote that... Weird.

Let me say the same thing but more clearly: I would have been puttering along & seeing red light ahead I'd cover the front brake but wouldn't use it. Instead I would engine brake & drag the rear brake while that was happening. Then I'd use the front for all those percentages of stopping power when it was time to fully stop. Clearly this was all wrong headed of me & was burning through my rear brake pads.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
You need to retrain your muscle memory to not use the rear brake so much. Like maybe put the ball of your foot on the peg, so when you go to use the rear brake it is totally a conscious thing. Don't be dragging the rear brake for no reason without even knowing or realizing that's what you're doing!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dragging the rear brake is good for lanesplitting and filtering and such. I'm often on the throttle and the rear brake simultaneously

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well, dragging the brake on a regular basis is going to wear it down, regardless of whether it's the front or the back. What kind of bike do you ride? Usually engine braking is plenty to handle the slowing-to-a-stoplight situation, unless it's a very small engine.

I guess I don't really know what situations you're finding yourself in. If I see a red light far in the distance, just letting off the throttle is plenty of deceleration. If it's more nearby, I'll only be braking for like 3-4 seconds and I wouldn't call that "dragging." (And I would be using the front brake exclusively, because I'm kinda lazy like that, or for like 80-90% of the braking effort).

Anyway, just use both brakes together and get used to working your hand and foot at the same time. And instead of dragging the brake, just don't use it until you're closer to the light and then brake harder.

A MIRACLE posted:

Dragging the rear brake is good for lanesplitting and filtering and such. I'm often on the throttle and the rear brake simultaneously

I'm not because I don't need to use the brake to stabilize myself, right down to a sub-walking pace :smugdog:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 6, 2017

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Part of the reason you want to use your front brake, particularly while you're a new rider, is to train yourself to use it instinctively in an emergency.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fender posted:

poo poo, where did I write that? I don't think I wrote that... Weird.

Let me say the same thing but more clearly: I would have been puttering along & seeing red light ahead I'd cover the front brake but wouldn't use it. Instead I would engine brake & drag the rear brake while that was happening. Then I'd use the front for all those percentages of stopping power when it was time to fully stop. Clearly this was all wrong headed of me & was burning through my rear brake pads.

This is basically the exact opposite of how to brake, coming to a stop. Use the front and rear brake together (most of the stopping is done with the front, so no need to stamp on the rear as you might be doing now if that's all you use) progressively, then transition to the rear alone to finish the last 2mph to 0 part. You'll need to completely rethink your stopping distances as well because chances are you've got a much shorter stopping distance than you realize.

Go to an empty parking lot and practice those stops until it feels natural.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 7, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I know a bike cop or two and they have this like philosophy of focus on the rear brake. They burn through the pads like crazy, they pay the most attention to the rear brakes on other bikes they ride, etc. I think it's because police bike training is basically MSF BRC on steroids. It's all low speed gymkhana type poo poo and you use the rear brake all the time. I guess that's great if you need to do u-turns all the time to catch speeders but man that doesn't translate into crash avoidance at normal speeds.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I know a bike cop or two and they have this like philosophy of focus on the rear brake. They burn through the pads like crazy, they pay the most attention to the rear brakes on other bikes they ride, etc. I think it's because police bike training is basically MSF BRC on steroids. It's all low speed gymkhana type poo poo and you use the rear brake all the time. I guess that's great if you need to do u-turns all the time to catch speeders but man that doesn't translate into crash avoidance at normal speeds.

NTM training on obese baggers and ST1300s.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I was way overusing the rear brake myself. Did a road trip through PA and OH twisties a month ago and my buddy behind me said I was dragging my brakes through turns and past even, I didn’t even realize it. Took quite awhile of consciously remembering to keep my foot off of the brake when unnecessary , but retraining your muscles comes pretty quick.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If you keep the balls of your feet on your pegs you won't be dragging the rear brake as much, as you have to (somewhat) consciously move your foot up. I think I use my rear more than most sport bike riders due to riding two up fairly often and living in the hills, but I hit my rear brake a tiny bit before the front, then let off the rear brake as I brake harder. Someone above said they use it to slow down the last 2mph to a stop, but I just realized I can't say what exactly I do at that point, I just stop.

*edit*
I also use it to gently bleed off speed riding around town if I want to slow a little bit, it seems easier than the front sometimes

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

On my zx6 I have a bad habit of only using the front to stop, maybe hit the rear for those last couple feet or to keep the light on. However on the DRZ I use both rear and front at the same time when stopping real proper like.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Deeters posted:

Part of the reason you want to use your front brake, particularly while you're a new rider, is to train yourself to use it instinctively in an emergency.

Lol, yeah.
Coming from a car, and instinctively putting the foot down for brake in an emergency, I locked the back tire up more than a dozen times before I was finally able to instill the front brake reaction instead.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 7, 2017

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Renaissance Robot posted:

Last month I found out unmarked police bikes are a thing here, so basically any white helmet yellow hi-viz on a litre+ sport tourer could be a rozzer :cop:

Well, not quite any, because their vest and helmet do say POLICE on them... but good luck spotting that if they're behind you. And if they're in front of you, it could actually be one of these cunts:

PS: the police are totally fine with this. Whee!

What's funny is most of the people that wear that BS ride like poo poo too. You also forgot their white bikes often with blue and yellow checkers over the panniers.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Today I realized that all those super large nuts and bolts on motorcycles (axles, headstock bearings, front sprocket nut, etc), are available on a Lug Nut Cross Wrench. :aaaaa: :allbuttons:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

The Bananana posted:

Lol, yeah.
Coming from a car, and instinctively putting the foot down for brake in an emergency, I locked the back tire up more than a dozen times before I was finally able to instill the front back reaction instead.

I had the opposite issue, where coming from years and years of going everywhere by bicycle, I had to train myself to use the foot pedal and not also pull in the clutch every time I slowed down.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

I had the opposite issue, where coming from years and years of going everywhere by bicycle, I had to train myself to use the foot pedal and not also pull in the clutch every time I slowed down.

Is it bad for the car or bike to ride the clutch like that?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Riding the clutch in a car will ruin the clutch. I imagine overusing the clutch on a bike with a dry clutch will do the same, but I've never owned one so I could be wrong.

edit:

Coydog posted:

Today I realized that all those super large nuts and bolts on motorcycles (axles, headstock bearings, front sprocket nut, etc), are available on a Lug Nut Cross Wrench. :aaaaa: :allbuttons:

Tell that to the collection of giant sockets I have in my toolbox for rear axle nuts, including the special 12-point steel socket just for Ducatis

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 8, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

What vehicle have you got with ~30mm lug nuts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

Have you considered buying more exotic bikes so that people on the internet have to find something else to dick measure on?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
loud pipes save lives

was dicking around town on the tuono, was passing the park and the ped xing lit up with lights so i stop.... chevy blazer with a dude texting his dick off face buried in his phone takes off past me while a dad mom and baby in a stroller are halfway across. i ripped on my throttle the hardest i've ever done and bounced it off the limiter and the family stopped short and the dude looked up finally and slammed on his brakes.

he overshot where he should have stopped by like 15 feet! now probably the peds would have noticed and stopped in time but it's better to be safe than sorry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ilkhan was right. More throttle does save lives. What is the world coming to?!

Also, that's awesome and you are a hero.

Jazzzzz posted:

Tell that to the collection of giant sockets I have in my toolbox for rear axle nuts, including the special 12-point steel socket just for Ducatis

I would, but I don't speak italian. Maybe you could just find a very exotic cross wrench?

Slavvy posted:

What vehicle have you got with ~30mm lug nuts?

Oh, only the very manliest kind, I assure you.

Z3n posted:

Have you considered buying more exotic bikes so that people on the internet have to find something else to dick measure on?

But I thought Koruthaiolos already sold his strada???