Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

imperialparadox posted:

Would the player of the vigilante even want to have his obligation drop? I mean if he has vigilante as an obligation, it sort of implies that the character feels that it is his duty to bring justice to criminals, so lowering his obligation would sort of imply that the character stops caring about this. If the player wants to do that it's fine, but if it's a core part of the character concept it's probably something that the player wouldn't actually want to lower, I would think.

Is the vigilante obligation in a class book? I haven't heard of it.

Regardless, vigilantism is by its nature illegal, and the authorities frown upon illegal things. Raising or lowering their obligation could reflect how much heat their activities are generating, rather than the character's interest in the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

imperialparadox posted:

Would the player of the vigilante even want to have his obligation drop? I mean if he has vigilante as an obligation, it sort of implies that the character feels that it is his duty to bring justice to criminals, so lowering his obligation would sort of imply that the character stops caring about this. If the player wants to do that it's fine, but if it's a core part of the character concept it's probably something that the player wouldn't actually want to lower, I would think.

I'd say for something like that you lose the obligation when you rid the area/location of whatever menace and evil that you became a vigilante to oppose. Youre obligation is this evil creating issues that is forcing you to come back and deal with.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

KittyEmpress posted:

You can, and I have, ran games where you use both. But every character needs both. You can't have some people using just duty, and some using just obligation. They're different mechanics.
Thanks for this

Another question for folks: Is there are good ranking for the adventure books out there? Are there full adventures or one-time encounters that this thread recommends highly?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Beyond the Rim is good, dunno savor any others. I heard the Age of Rebellion ones kinda suck.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Beyond the Rim is good, dunno savor any others. I heard the Age of Rebellion ones kinda suck.

You can just tell me you don't like the game I'm running :kiddo:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a good reason why I apparently can't buy this in PDF form?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Is there a reason I apparently can't buy this in PDF form?

The "Star Wars digital games" license belongs to EA.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

The "Star Wars digital games" license belongs to EA.

That's really dumb

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Andrast posted:

That's really dumb

Yes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; it's quite silly

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Never not be the 5 brawn Trandoshan, gently caress the haters.

Hah, I made my first character a 5 brawn trandoshan without having read this thread. Musclelizard lyfe. :whatup:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Hah, I made my first character a 5 brawn trandoshan without having read this thread. Musclelizard lyfe. :whatup:

Same, actually. Edge campaign and I played a 5 brawn Transdoshan marauder.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Spy sourcebook announced.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Aw, I wanted it to be titled "Many Bothans Died".

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Aw, I wanted it to be titled "Many Bothans Died".

It was actually just one Bothan named Manny.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
tl;dr: Today on Weik: in the attempt to remove a stick from a shop, my players overthrew a sovereign government

Todays, my players, Paladins of the Adamintine, entered Vossport for the first time. They entered a shop where a guy had some astromancer goods. One of which was a stick strong in the dark side, like Vodo-Sisok Baas. After getting hit by a wave of dark side power trying to destroy it, they went to the Aqueducts to find "golems" to transport the stick into a fire or other such thing to destroy it.

The golems, droids, have been working since the first settlers of Weik began work on the city. While they were occasionally maintenance by cendiary priests, they have not been in a long time and have grown restless. As it has been a long time since their memory was wiped, they have all grown sapient. One of them threatens a revolution, but a successful negotiation makes him just threaten a strike if they aren't maintenanced soon.

As they leave with a nicer droid, they are immediately set upon by pirates who believe the Droid is an abomination of some sort and that they are Lucites. During the fight, the Droid is blinded by well-placed arrow (despair roll).

Remembering the Cendiary priests should be in Vossport at this time, they head over to the Duke's palace. The Duke, however, is self-important prick who only cares about maintaining his own luxuries and does not care for the golems. When they mention the golem's want to rebel and fight, their attempt to convince them to act only succeeds in him deciding to try to wipe out the golems. The players, instead, convince him to just make an example out of one of them and then maintenance the others. One player then heads off to warn the droids while the other remains with the Duke as insurance against double crossing.

The player tries to convince the droids to just give him one who is dead already so that no one has to die. The droids explain they do not die like humans and a failed negotiation roll leads to them saying gently caress this, despite having a droid that is so old that his personality matrix is almost completely inert due to entropy (closest things to droid dying of old age). They go "we serve him for a thousand years and now he is going to kill us all? Even if he only asks for one, that's bullshit." Paraphrasing here, of course.

The player tries to convince him otherwise, but fails. They let him live as he warned them in advance and his attempt to get things right for them. They leave the sewers, still weapons off the pirates, then storm the castle. Since Weik only has swords and bows and arrows, with just a few having blasters, they storm the castle easily.

A few mass combat checks and a battle between the players and the duke's forces later, and the duke is slaughtered and the leader of the Droids crowns himself King. Not sure what it means to rule or the like or what a king is, the droids decide to base the government off the old Republic they once served: a senate elected only by droids with the King as the chancellor, essentially. They rename Vossport the "Kingdom of Emancipated Droids."

The new King knights the players, who are Paladins of the Adamintine, as the Knights of Durasteel and ask what they need of them in payment for all they did for the droids. To which they reply, "there is this stick in a shop we need removed..."

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It was actually just one Bothan named Manny.

I may or may not have introduced a character named Manny Boffins, an elite Bothan Spy, into my AoR campaign.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CaptCommy posted:

I may or may not have introduced a character named Manny Boffins, an elite Bothan Spy, into my AoR campaign.

For maximum hilarity, make sure he meets Manny Both-Hanz at some point.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Covok posted:

tl;dr: Today on Weik: in the attempt to remove a stick from a shop, my players overthrew a sovereign government

Todays, my players, Paladins of the Adamintine, entered Vossport for the first time. They entered a shop where a guy had some astromancer goods. One of which was a stick strong in the dark side, like Vodo-Sisok Baas. After getting hit by a wave of dark side power trying to destroy it, they went to the Aqueducts to find "golems" to transport the stick into a fire or other such thing to destroy it.

The golems, droids, have been working since the first settlers of Weik began work on the city. While they were occasionally maintenance by cendiary priests, they have not been in a long time and have grown restless. As it has been a long time since their memory was wiped, they have all grown sapient. One of them threatens a revolution, but a successful negotiation makes him just threaten a strike if they aren't maintenanced soon.

As they leave with a nicer droid, they are immediately set upon by pirates who believe the Droid is an abomination of some sort and that they are Lucites. During the fight, the Droid is blinded by well-placed arrow (despair roll).

Remembering the Cendiary priests should be in Vossport at this time, they head over to the Duke's palace. The Duke, however, is self-important prick who only cares about maintaining his own luxuries and does not care for the golems. When they mention the golem's want to rebel and fight, their attempt to convince them to act only succeeds in him deciding to try to wipe out the golems. The players, instead, convince him to just make an example out of one of them and then maintenance the others. One player then heads off to warn the droids while the other remains with the Duke as insurance against double crossing.

The player tries to convince the droids to just give him one who is dead already so that no one has to die. The droids explain they do not die like humans and a failed negotiation roll leads to them saying gently caress this, despite having a droid that is so old that his personality matrix is almost completely inert due to entropy (closest things to droid dying of old age). They go "we serve him for a thousand years and now he is going to kill us all? Even if he only asks for one, that's bullshit." Paraphrasing here, of course.

The player tries to convince him otherwise, but fails. They let him live as he warned them in advance and his attempt to get things right for them. They leave the sewers, still weapons off the pirates, then storm the castle. Since Weik only has swords and bows and arrows, with just a few having blasters, they storm the castle easily.

A few mass combat checks and a battle between the players and the duke's forces later, and the duke is slaughtered and the leader of the Droids crowns himself King. Not sure what it means to rule or the like or what a king is, the droids decide to base the government off the old Republic they once served: a senate elected only by droids with the King as the chancellor, essentially. They rename Vossport the "Kingdom of Emancipated Droids."

The new King knights the players, who are Paladins of the Adamintine, as the Knights of Durasteel and ask what they need of them in payment for all they did for the droids. To which they reply, "there is this stick in a shop we need removed..."

On a long enough timescale all adventuring groups will overthrow a government.
This is amazing btw.

Covok
May 27, 2013

8one6 posted:

This is amazing btw.

This all happened in both 3 in-game and real life hours. It's only the second session of the campaign.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

8one6 posted:

This is amazing btw.

Our group has been been propping a government up. We accidentally stopped an Empire plot to destabilize a Kingdom as pretext to invade it. Then we did it by accident again. The plots after that were intentionally stopped because it amused us. But we have caused a PC party amount of property damage. Mostly to the Empire. One big undersea base, and a prison moon. We only wrecked most of the later.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

jivjov posted:

You can just tell me you don't like the game I'm running :kiddo:

Wait... this is a premade? Oh snap.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Wait... this is a premade? Oh snap.

To be fair, y'all keep going off the rails and I have to improv it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Covok posted:

I love when things get out of hand like this. My players recently had a mission to rescue a child from the anchorite orphanage on Jakku and ended up accidentally activating Palpatine's contingency and blowing the whole planet up.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Robot Style posted:

I love when things get out of hand like this. My players recently had a mission to rescue a child from the anchorite orphanage on Jakku and ended up accidentally activating Palpatine's contingency and blowing the whole planet up.

Does oops cover that?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dawn of Rebellion sourcebook announced.

I haven't been following the game for too long, but it seems like they're announcing these more frequently.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 11, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This one is particularly interesting because not counting the Force Awakens Beginner box, this is the only system-line-agnostic book release they've ever done.

Looks like Rogue One and Rebels content.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Give me a bunch of Guardian of the Whills background and I'm in.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Robot Style posted:

Dawn of Rebellion sourcebook announced.

I haven't been following the game for too long, but it seems like they're announcing these more frequently.

Yes! Era sourcebooks! Come on Clone Wars!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm just sad that a pure-Legends era book would probably be out of the question. I want a NJO/Vong War book really bad.

Covok
May 27, 2013

jivjov posted:

I'm just sad that a pure-Legends era book would probably be out of the question. I want a NJO/Vong War book really bad.

I have some house rules for playing the Vong and, outside that, I feel you could get away with RAW books we got already. Not like NJO/Vong War changed the calbier of hero, unless you want comic book level God Jedi.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

I have some house rules for playing the Vong and, outside that, I feel you could get away with RAW books we got already. Not like NJO/Vong War changed the calbier of hero, unless you want comic book level God Jedi.

Oh I know there's always ways to house rule or homebrew it...I just want a nice official book with nice FFG art bound up in a nice hardcover to sit on my shelf.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

As much as I'd like an NJO-era (or even better Legacy-era :swoon: ) sourcebook, it'll never happen because Disney.

A KOTOR-era sourcebook is probably much more likely. And to be honest, I'd want that much more anyway.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Disney hasn't done anything to prevent FFG from preventing material based on the old EU in the past. I actually think that going past their focus on Rebellion era makes books like NJO or Thrawn Trilogy more likely. (especially with Thrawn in Rebels)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Disney hasn't done anything to prevent FFG from preventing material based on the old EU in the past. I actually think that going past their focus on Rebellion era makes books like NJO or Thrawn Trilogy more likely. (especially with Thrawn in Rebels)

Well, they've brought in planets and guns and ships and stuff...I don't think they've brought in full on plot stuff before

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Unless they just want to reintroduce things like ships, weapons and species, I would guess that anything after ROTJ is probably out for FFG. They've used stuff from the Legends canon before, but the TFA beginner game sort of obliterates that end of the timeline unless they want to have portions of their own setting be non-canon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

alg posted:

I'm pretty sure Disney has explicitly said that anything post-ROTJ is a no-go unless it goes through them first.

Edit: However, I totally could see a scenario where FFG releases a single and explicitly "Legends-only" sourcebook that provides setting/adversaries/ships for multiple different eras into one splat. That would let them have their cake and eat it too -- on the one hand they can appease people who want more official Legends content in the game, and on the other hand Disney can be happy that they'd release this as a one-and-done and go back to doing stuff that's more in-line with their continuity.

Drone fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 13, 2017

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Everything goes through Disney already. Unless you have some insider knowledge there's no official statement of any kind like that. X Wing and LCG still print tons of EU content and the RPG has it too. E-Wings and K-Wings, etc.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Are any of the premade adventures good for a setting agnostic "assholes in space" game? My group might be starting up a game of this with a GM that's relatively new to the role, and I thought it might be something useful to at least suggest.

We're going to Microscope up a setting for the game since none of us are huge SW nerds (we like it, just not enough to pretend to adhere to the cannon). The GM mostly just really liked the dice when I ran it for her and a different group a few years ago.

Also, anyone have any good suggestions, advice, or house rules? It's been a few years since I've been tuned in to the game, so I'm a bit out of the loop for best practices, etc.

We also have run the Jedi starter adventure with this group, and most of them came away thinking that lightsabers and Jedi are OP compared to the alternatives. Are they actually in practice? I'd like to have an argument for including them if possible, but if they do actually tend to overshadow other characters/weapons/melee builds then I'll suggest we stick to EotE and AoR classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You could potentially wait for the release of Genesys; FFG is putting out a game that's setting-agnostic using the same narrative dice as Star Wars.