Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

It wasn't one of the multi-GCD tank busters that come up occasionally, and as far as I understood there is nothing that requires a shield to survive a single attack in the extreme primals. I guess I'll pay closer attention to whether they have the slashing debuff next time

it does make me want to finish leveling AST or SCH so I have something with good shields again though, divine benison is cool but it's a little tricky to time correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

It wasn't one of the multi-GCD tank busters that come up occasionally, and as far as I understood there is nothing that requires a shield to survive a single attack in the extreme primals. I guess I'll pay closer attention to whether they have the slashing debuff next time

it does make me want to finish leveling AST or SCH so I have something with good shields again though, divine benison is cool but it's a little tricky to time correctly

If only you had a damage meter you could have looked at to see what it was that killed him. But no.. You'll just use it to make fun of nice people about their bad dps.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

If only you had a damage meter you could have looked at to see what it was that killed him. But no.. You'll just use it to make fun of nice people about their bad dps.

You know the game has a battle log, right?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

What would cause tanks to get one-shot killed against Susano Ex? I was seeing it on rare occasions in PF groups but I haven't got a tank above 35 yet so I'm not sure if there's some sort of telegraphed attack that requires a tank skill or something. It's not the everybody-stack attack

In phase 2, Stormsplitter is a tankbuster that requires (in my experience so far) at minimum two cooldowns. (usually one of Rampart, Raw Intuition, Thrill, or Vengeance, plus Inner Beast) Anything less risks having to pick up the dry cleaning bill for turning into a fine red mist and getting all over everyones' clothes. Then, as everyone has said, tank swaps, and life goes on.

In phase 1, though, Susan does an unnamed tankbuster that's just a bitchslap of a backhand that will clip off 50% or more of your HP if left unmitigated. Ironically, this is the one that's more likely to make tanks pop, because it's not telegraphed, it's just thrown in between mechanics, between two autos. Like a Mountain Buster, but without the left hook to let you know that it's coming. It does come in regular intervals, however, so a tank should rely on Incoming Damage Senses to pop a cooldown accordingly. Or you could be a nerd and pin down his exact rotation, but Phase 1 is usually short enough that I found you can just roll mitigation through the entire thing and have Rampart off CD again for when you have to go pop bubbles.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 7, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Shy posted:

don’t disrupt the narrative :ssh:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shy posted:

I too want to sift through hundreds if not thousands of lines of text to find something instead of being able to find the info in a few clicks. Good retort!

Afk 5 mins guys im parsing through the battle log to find out what killed me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In phase 2, Stormsplitter is a tankbuster that requires (in my experience so far) at minimum two cooldowns. (usually one of Rampart, Raw Intuition, Thrill, or Vengeance, plus Inner Beast) Anything less risks having to pick up the dry cleaning bill for turning into a fine red mist and getting all over everyones' clothes.

Stormsplitter hurts, have the melee dps be bros and take turns applying Feint.

(But don't *rely* on Feint in case that melee gets gaoled)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

I too want to sift through hundreds if not thousands of lines of text to find something instead of being able to find the info in a few clicks. Good retort!

Afk 5 mins guys im parsing through the battle log to find out what killed me.

Yeah actually I sometimes wish the game had a "what killed you" mini-log like WoW does.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thundarr posted:

Stormsplitter hurts, have the melee dps be bros and take turns applying Feint.

(But don't *rely* on Feint in case that melee gets gaoled)

Ha, you wish pubbies would do that kind of poo poo. That's why I recommend double-stacking mitigation there. I also pack Reprisal, but I save that for Ukehi.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is any of Susano's damage magical? I toss out Addle for the second Uzemi or whatever it's called but I'm not actually sure if it's helping.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Shy posted:

Is the in game battle log actually useful for you? Not being sarcastic, I've looked at the battle log before since I miss all sorts of important things during fights, but it seems completely random about what sort of information it reports. I wasn't aware that ACT could produce readable, sequential logs either.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In phase 2, Stormsplitter is a tankbuster that requires (in my experience so far) at minimum two cooldowns. (usually one of Rampart, Raw Intuition, Thrill, or Vengeance, plus Inner Beast) Anything less risks having to pick up the dry cleaning bill for turning into a fine red mist and getting all over everyones' clothes.

Pretty sure it was this, I was used to seeing the sudden in-between hit during phase one, but during phase 2 sometimes instead of taking like 50% damage they just get clobbered

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What is your max HP? You shouldn't need to "double-stack" mitigation for Stormsplitter unless you're hovering at like 65% health or less.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Countblanc posted:

Is any of Susano's damage magical? I toss out Addle for the second Uzemi or whatever it's called but I'm not actually sure if it's helping.

I assume the balls are during the sword block transition. I like to Apocastasis one of the tanks while they pop balls. Does it help? I don't know, but I feel useful! :downs:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is the in game battle log actually useful for you?

I only looked at it like once to find who resurrected me after a hunt to emote to them, but sure, a better log would be a good thing. I don't particularly care about damage meters either. I was just pointing out a dumb strawman.

edit: I meant damage meters

Shy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 7, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I see videos of clears where people have the battle tab open and constantly streaming a stream of unreadable text and I can't imagine playing like that without getting horribly distracted.

Like, I can imagine situations where the battle log is useful but just switch to the tab after the fight

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

I see videos of clears where people have the battle tab open and constantly streaming a stream of unreadable text and I can't imagine playing like that without getting horribly distracted.

Like, I can imagine situations where the battle log is useful but just switch to the tab after the fight

I think most of those are just easy ways to block out player names, or to consult after the fact since you can just pause the video to look at stuff.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

I haven't actually looked at the numbers so it's possible it's just something along the lines of confirmation bias, but in my experience/recollection Ukehi seems to do noticeably less damage to my healthbar when Addled.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Game, I am not wearing these WHM-only "pants" unless you give me a proper robe to wear as well. I don't care how good the stats are.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Game, I am not wearing these WHM-only "pants" unless you give me a proper robe to wear as well. I don't care how good the stats are.

Your best top at that level is this. Your character is going through a stripper phase. Don't fight it, embrace it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Healers must submit themselves to humility by being without pants for 6 levels. It is known.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

At that level DPS gets the subligar, Tanks get the beer can, Healers get lingerie.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Brainamp posted:

At that level DPS gets the subligar, Tanks get the beer can, Healers get lingerie.

Nah, most classes get well-coordinated pants/skirts, boots, and sleeves, together with a stripper top from darkhold. Subligar hell is about 20-30 levels earlier.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
SAM question:

In practical usage, is there any use to Hissatsu: Seigen? Seems like a stupidly fiddly thing to try to work for. I'm not even convinced that Merciful Eyes, or even Third Eye is even worth working for, given that Bloodbath and Second Wind are a lot easier to use.

I kind of feel like all three skills could be safely removed the job and nobody would notice a thing.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 7, 2017

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Ok nerds I'm considering jumping back into this game and am willing to spend the cash money to jump a class up to 60 (my highest is somewhere in the 20s). I require insight: what are the easiest classes to play? In my low-level dicking around I enjoyed pugilist punchboy, rogue stabman, and thaumaturge explodelad. I've not tried a healer and my only tank experience was with Maurader (and DK in WoW).

Also, if I just boost up my level will I be able to steamroll the MSQ or should I just skip up to Heavansward stuff?

Thanks goons and have a great day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ManSedan posted:

Ok nerds I'm considering jumping back into this game and am willing to spend the cash money to jump a class up to 60 (my highest is somewhere in the 20s). I require insight: what are the easiest classes to play? In my low-level dicking around I enjoyed pugilist punchboy, rogue stabman, and thaumaturge explodelad. I've not tried a healer and my only tank experience was with Maurader (and DK in WoW).

Also, if I just boost up my level will I be able to steamroll the MSQ or should I just skip up to Heavansward stuff?

Thanks goons and have a great day.

On your second question:

The general consensus is that the story gets good (rather than merely servicable) somewhere in the leadup to Heavensward. However, if you jump to 60 but only do the ARR skip, you'll have hours and hours of content that "only" advances the story and doesn't meaningfully progress your character, since the exp rewards are tuned for 51-59 instead of 60+. If you're okay with that, do the ARR skip. If you aren't, do the HW skip.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

cheetah7071 posted:

Nah, most classes get well-coordinated pants/skirts, boots, and sleeves, together with a stripper top from darkhold. Subligar hell is about 20-30 levels earlier.

There's a second subligar period in the Garuda build-up part of the MSQ.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/It%27s_Probably_Not_Pirates

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/The_Reluctant_Researcher

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

CuddlyZombie posted:

I haven't actually looked at the numbers so it's possible it's just something along the lines of confirmation bias, but in my experience/recollection Ukehi seems to do noticeably less damage to my healthbar when Addled.

This is hilariously another thing ACT helps with that the in-game battle log is completely useless at, since the ACT plugin has damage types for each attack (I don't know if it's entered by hand or if it's in the memory/network somehow) but there's no way to figure that out anymore short of looking at numbers. Back when Manawall and Manaward were separate I'd just pop one, see if it went away, and if it didn't I'd pop the other next time to see if it's darkness damage, but that's not possible anymore.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What utility does BRD bring to a group that MCH doesn't? Only thing I can think of offhand are BV and Foe's Requiem, and the latter has Hypercharge as an analogue.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Crit aura

Vorless
Oct 30, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

SAM question:

In practical usage, is there any use to Hissatsu: Seigen? Seems like a stupidly fiddly thing to try to work for. I'm not even convinced that Merciful Eyes, or even Third Eye is even worth working for, given that Bloodbath and Second Wind are a lot easier to use.

I kind of feel like all three skills could be safely removed the job and nobody would notice a thing.

Seigen actually has higher potency per kenki than Shinten (13.3 vs 12) so it's definitely worth using, however the difference is pretty small and the cost can throw off your planning for future kenki usage. Don't worry about it at the start, but as you become more familiar with fights, it's something you can work in to get a bit more damage here and there.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

What utility does BRD bring to a group that MCH doesn't?

+2% crit rate buff for the party on all songs (which are always on), +3% boosted damage via Foe's Requiem, +15% direct hit rate every 3 minutes, a choice between +15% max hp/10% reduction of physical vulnerability/10% reduction of magic vulnerability every 3 minutes (songs permitting), can cleanse a debuff/put up a single debuff shield, provide their own Convalesce.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

SAM question:

It's another oGCD but really you don't need to work much for Third Eye. It has a stupidly short CD and Merciful eyes, while weaker than Second Wind, is pretty much always up (same issue with Bloodbath, you can theoretically get 4x Merciful Eyes per Bloodbath.) Seigen has a Kenki cost because otherwise it'd be a free 200 potency attack every 15 second spaced roomwide AoE's a boss has.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dogsicle posted:

+2% crit rate buff for the party on all songs (which are always on), +3% boosted damage via Foe's Requiem, +15% direct hit rate every 3 minutes, a choice between +15% max hp/10% reduction of physical vulnerability/10% reduction of magic vulnerability every 3 minutes (songs permitting), can cleanse a debuff/put up a single debuff shield, provide their own Convalesce.

That's a lot more than I realized. Does MCH provide anything in turn that BRD doesn't?

i'm getting real bad alt-itis again :(

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
mch provides all the other dps classes with "at least i'm not mch" self-affirmation. psychological health is important to a positive raiding experience.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

That's a lot more than I realized. Does MCH provide anything in turn that BRD doesn't?

i'm getting real bad alt-itis again :(

I'm just skimming their skills in the job guide on lodestone and all I see is they can lower an enemy's damage dealt by 10% for 5s (every 90s) and increase enemy damage taken by 5% for 20s (every 120s).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

mch provides all the other dps classes with "at least i'm not mch" self-affirmation. psychological health is important to a positive raiding experience.

MCH was looking like it might be fun at 64 but now you've got me all downcast :smith:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Just because a job doesn't provide a ton of party utility or big numbers doesn't mean it can't be fun. Also party comp is irrelevant for most content, and I dunno if the parses that put MCH at lowest DPS are even still accurate.

e: Also as a BRD, I can tell you the job really falls into some boring periods in its rotation, while I get the impression MCH is much more lively on top of having sicknasty animations like backflips.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Teaching my beautiful son how to spin to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Is the in game battle log actually useful for you? Not being sarcastic, I've looked at the battle log before since I miss all sorts of important things during fights, but it seems completely random about what sort of information it reports. I wasn't aware that ACT could produce readable, sequential logs either.

ACT has a death recap feature which can be a little wonky but is decently helpful. I don't usually have ACT open, so I made combat log tabs in game that are really filtered. One just shows damage I took that I can use for a death summary, and the other is just enemy casts, although that one is less useful now that you can just look at the cast bars in the enemy list.