Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

zoux posted:

Also also, who pays a trade kicker, the team receiving the player or does it somehow go against the team trading?

The team trading for him. More importantly, it increases the actual cap hit of the salary so Melo's 26 million increases by 15%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Panzeh posted:

MVP thief like steve nash who robbed kobe of the one he actually deserved

If you gave either of Steve Nash's to the best player that season, neither would go to Kobe. It'd be KG (05 with a decent argument for Duncan or Dirk) and Dirk (06 with LeBron James in 2nd). Kobe should never have been the MVP, he stole CP3's.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Every player from the first half 2000 stole from Shaq

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
How many days post Boston will it take for Avery Bradley's reputation as the best 2 way guard in NBA history, to disappear?

straight up brolic posted:

Love the Pistons just kick the "should we go into the tax with a bad team?" Question can down the road

A Bad Playoff team

Stan Van Gundy and his fat bald friend Jeff the flower Bower are incompetent

Of course none of that bothers me, because I'm a fan of the Virginia Squires

Tae posted:

Every player from the first half 2000 stole from Shaq

Wasn't Shaq notorious for not going all out until the second half of the season during his Kobe lakers days. I only remember him being stymied by Elden Campbell, Ben, and Rasheed Wallace in the 03-04 finals, certainly not an MVP performance.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 7, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

zoux posted:

Sure, but couldn't they be hosed if Otto Porter was like "cool, I will take this deal The Nets"
No, because he is worth more to them than he is to the Wizards

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

We laugh at the Nets for loving with teams, but they basically have to make the deal as unpalpable as possible in order to get them

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

When you have the opportunity to trade one of the best backcourt role players in the league for a tweener forward with a 7% TRB and 51% TS you gotta do it. He's like the Pokémon devolution of Lamarcus Aldridge

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The nets are being paid by Boston to tank and they're using their cap space as an opportunity to lock playoff teams into distasteful contracts, which also benefits the Celtics

Although every contract is so short that it doesn't really matter. If Miami had believed in what they put together last year, they wouldn't have had to pay (not overpay) James Johnson, because he'd be on 4 year deal.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

When you have the opportunity to trade one of the best backcourt role players in the league for a tweener forward with a 7% TRB and 51% TS you gotta do it. He's like the Pokémon devolution of Lamarcus Aldridge

based on pokemon naming conventions alone it's obvious that Marc Gasol is LaMarcus Aldridge's pre-evolved form

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

based on pokemon naming conventions alone it's obvious that Marc Gasol is LaMarcus Aldridge's pre-evolved form
Wouldn't it be Marc, Marcus, LaMarcus?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hey, his TRB before going to Andre Drummond's team was 10ish so there

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The question of who is the best Morris is interesting because it seems to ping pong

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

The question of who is the best Morris is interesting because it seems to ping pong
I don't like Morrii, but when I have to choose one, I prefer Markeiff

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i'm not sure how but i am sure that your Morris brother preference belies some dark, hidden, subconscious prejudice. that's what i think.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
As bad as Ryan Anderson was in the playoffs he's the exact stretch four the Rockets have been chasing for years so I don't understand the eagerness to dump him. Maybe Morey expected the money to look better before the cap grew less than expected. But having Anderson and Gordon regularly bombing from five feet beyond the arc create all kinds of space for Harden

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I like Keef more but Marcus improved after he left Phoenix

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

As bad as Ryan Anderson was in the playoffs he's the exact stretch four the Rockets have been chasing for years so I don't understand the eagerness to dump him. Maybe Morey expected the money to look better before the cap grew less than expected. But having Anderson and Gordon regularly bombing from five feet beyond the arc create all kinds of space for Harden

Wouldn't Melo be an upgrade in almost every way?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Believe it or not Melo is also a better defender than Ryan Anderson

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Adun posted:

Wouldn't Melo be an upgrade in almost every way?

I'm picturing a lot of Dwight style having to give him possessions with his back to the basket from mid range to keep him happy. At least Ryno is content to be the kickout catch and shoot guy and he's a better three point shooter

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Marcus is the better Morris. Markieff can't make threes, he makes his living attacking mismatches in the post and defending bigger fours. That's fine but it doesn't compare to his brother's ability to defend 3/4 and to get his own shot. He also has the costlier half of the Morris paired contracts. His brother is cheap and can get his own shot and defend big star wings.

it's Avery Bradley in and KCP And Morris out, that's a lovely swap to save 10m for one season, because your Duke rookie shooting guard is going to save the day.

Avery Bradley is a backup, he's a role player, he is too small to be a net positive contributor on defense, despite his reputation, and he doesn't do enough to be a positive contributor on offense. Marcus Morris is the tweener forward playmaker making only 10m over the next two years. Kentavious Caldwell Pope is a better defender and all around player, especially since he'll only be making 5m or so more than Bradley next year.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 7, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Eh I like Bradley's defense more than PCPs but at least that's a credible comparison.

Morris just isn't good.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Tae posted:

The team trading for him. More importantly, it increases the actual cap hit of the salary so Melo's 26 million increases by 15%.

Is this right? I saw an article saying that it changed from that to the team that they're leaving in 2011, but I couldn't find out if they changed it again in the new CBA.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Do the Morii still have a joint bank account?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

I'm picturing a lot of Dwight style having to give him possessions with his back to the basket from mid range to keep him happy. At least Ryno is content to be the kickout catch and shoot guy and he's a better three point shooter

It would definitely be a gamble but Melo's also the type of guy that can carry the offensive load for a team when you need him to which Ryan Anderson isn't.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Has anyone found a reliable way to watch summer league games? Are they being streamed anywhere?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

WhyteRyce posted:

It doesn't ping pong at all. There is one good Morris and one less good Morris; they are just constantly Parent Trapping the NBA for their own arcane reasons.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

humpthewind posted:

Has anyone found a reliable way to watch summer league games? Are they being streamed anywhere?

If you have access to espn streaming you can find some of the games there.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Haha scalpers have finally hit summer league
Sold out already for Saturday

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

If you have access to espn streaming you can find some of the games there.

NBA TV is also showing games.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/883444046563229696

... he can't be worse than semaj right

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

holy poo poo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

I'm sorry Evan but you seem to misunderstand Twitter discussions and how they can facilitate long and substantive discussions THREAD(1/43)

haha it PISSES ME OFF

ChickenMedium posted:

It doesn't ping pong at all. There is one good Morris and one less good Morris; they are just constantly Parent Trapping the NBA for their own arcane reasons.

It's TRUE. Which playoff series was it where Markieff went down with an ankle injury that took him out of the game, then came back the very next game and mysteriously played much better than normal?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Wow tyreke is only 27

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

haha it PISSES ME OFF

It's TRUE. Which playoff series was it where Markieff went down with an ankle injury that took him out of the game, then came back the very next game and mysteriously played much better than normal?

Celtics / Wiz I believe

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
He said trying frantically to buy into the signing

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NickRoweFillea posted:

Just don't ask Kibner about him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

One year peanut contract for a collegiate favorite ain't bad.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

Celtics / Wiz I believe

They traded for Marcus so that explicitly could not happen again as both Morrises would be in uniform at the same time. drat. Diabolical. What's going on in Danny Ainge's mind

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

They traded for Marcus so that explicitly could not happen again as both Morrises would be in uniform at the same time. drat. Diabolical. What's going on in Danny Ainge's mind

Hahah I completely believe this because I choose to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I think yeah maybe he can.

Also, nice av. Neither one is Adams or Kanter though.

• Locked thread