Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Whatever the sales numbers were, PC Gamer says DLC is in the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Karpaw posted:

Whatever the sales numbers were, PC Gamer says DLC is in the works.

:] :] :]

Also

quote:

"One of my favourite things to do is use Lift, and lift up a big leverage object near a wall before gloo-ing that leverage object to the wall while it's lifting. When the lift toward dissipates, now you have a platform on the wall that attached with the gloo.

Holy moly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Prey sold another ~65k copies in the summer sale, according to Steamspy. Not as much as I would hope for, but it brings it above 300k sold on Steam at least; here's to hoping they meet whatever quota exists for more Arkane games like this to get made.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ravenfood posted:

You didn't jab enough needles into your eye first. Try that.

Guy 1: Man, I think I had too many neuromods!

Guy 2: That's too bad, how many did you take?

Guy 1: I dunno, I eyeballed it!

*laugh track*

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zomborgon posted:

Guy 1: Man, I think I had too many neuromods!

Guy 2: That's too bad, how many did you take?

Guy 1: I dunno, I eyeballed it!

*laugh track*
Guy 2: That can be dangerous! You gotta keep your eye on that, man!

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If you had any respect at all for the medium of videogames you would keep paying Arkane to make them. I reckon they're at the top of the game at the moment

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Two things I missed on my 1st playthrough that instantly gave me a slightly deeper appreciation for the game was a) Finding the real Will Mitchell in the freezer and the audio diaries in Calvino's room where he details his weird struggle with memory problems.

I sort of assumed through different audio logs that the very first breach was likely a psychics ethereal phenomena. One of Calvino's looking glass visions or Morgan's dreams could be a strong enough psychic tether to pull a Typhon into our dimension. We have no concept of how they move through space without propulsion, but in as far as we know they seem to be life forms based off of psionic energy.

The mimics remind me of a plot device in a sci-fi//fantasy novel called The Scar, about a pirate city that summons its own Cthullu. In this book towards the end they meet these aliens who harness raw possibility as a resource. So like for example one of the pirates has a sword from these aliens, and when he uses it, it hits his target in every conceivable way that he could have hit them, simultaneously, basically leaving everyone a butchered pile of meaty strips after a single blow. They try to go into more detail at the tail end but it reminds a lot of the Typhon, in that they take this weird idea of psychic resonance and turn it into a food//communication system/possibly inter-dimensional transference mechanism. Aliens are scary because they are so totally unknowable, and that why he Typhon succeed at being good bad guys even if they have the least inspired art direction of any present day FPS (military shooters notwithstanding).

TYPHON EDIT: yo I just got to Deep Storage on my current human only run and a nightmare happened to spawn in the first room and it really changes the tone of Alex's speech at the beginning of that level from "keeping you out of trouble" to "oh you think you know what's going on, try this on for size!" and I appreciate this type of emergent gameplay theatrics.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 6, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The nightmare's really weird. It seems to have a unique animation for squeezing through doors, but if a passageway is a neither big enough to waltz through nor a regular-sized door then it doesn't know what to do.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

IMHO Elias Black is the most interesting person on Talos I:

1. Appears to have been blackmailing someone according to emails.

2. Warned the security chief before anything happened. Although he was in the dark he saw a chair move and knew something was up.

3. Died just meters away from Morgan's Office, perhaps if he'd made it to that safe haven (he was security, might have known the code) he could have been the hero.

4. Plays Stabfellow in the fatal fortress game, easily the coolest character.

5. Also, was he the security guy in the simulation at the beginning? If so Elias is a professional actor as well.

Three cheers for Elias Black! Am I missing anything?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BBQ Dave posted:

Elias Black is the most interesting person on Talos I:
For point 1: we know who that person is. You can find their work station early on (sales division? Yuri Kimura I think) and discover the unlicensed neuromods they'd skimmed. Black's terminal indicates he told a friend about it (I forget who, I want to say Bowser?) so they could pressure Kimura for bribe money.

For point 5: Yes, Elias Black is there at the start. He doesn't know about the Typhon but does his best to protect people. That's why he's in lockup later: he wasn't supposed to see all that. It's also addressed in his more desperate notes on-person. Nope, that was Demetri Bowser I'm thinking of for this one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Okay, so I got this game on the sale and really want to play it, but there's something going on and it's running like crap.

i5-4590
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB RAM
1920x1080

the Steam overlay says that it's running at 144fps, but the input is lagged to hell and floaty. It feels like it's running at more like 15 fps. VSync is off and everything is set to high, but changing the settings to low does nothing for the performance. I'm just looking around the apartment that you start out in.

I was able to completely max out games like DOOM with no issues.

What's going on?

e: yeah I am watching videos of people playing with basically the same system as mine and something is seriously hosed up. It should not be running like this.

e2: okay, so, i turned on vsync and it went down to 24fps, implying that I have a refresh rate set at 24fps somewhere. But my monitor's refresh rate is 60hz on the desktop, which is what is set in the monitor properties. Confirmed by setting the game to borderless windowed mode -- instantly the game becomes responsive and the framerate shoots back up to 60. Why is the game thinking I have a 24hz refresh rate when it boots in full screen mode? Other games don't do this. Where can I change this?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 6, 2017

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within
Have they said anything about a newgame+?

double nine posted:

The nightmare's really weird. It seems to have a unique animation for squeezing through doors, but if a passageway is a neither big enough to waltz through nor a regular-sized door then it doesn't know what to do.

It would have been nice if they had given it more abilities, let it turn into a mimic or phantom and give chase. They ended up being one of the easier monsters to cheese or avoid. It's big appearance also made it clip a lot through objects which looked a bit janky.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rinkles posted:

"Oh I just needed to find the power kiosk and flip the switch. Oops too bad I already fried the computer by zapping the screen with a taser in the unlikely event that would miraculously kickstart it. What was I thinking."
Yeah for everything else the stun gun makes electronics stop working.

Ghostlight posted:

I think the reason it's inconsistent and doesn't really make sense is because it's actually a bug where you're setting a monitor that is already flagged "power off" to a state where it is marked "power off" by a timed stun gun effect that's failing to return it to the correct state when it expires.
There are computers you can't activate by any other method, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Schneider Inside Her posted:

If you had any respect at all for the medium of videogames you would keep paying Arkane to make them. I reckon they're at the top of the game at the moment

I think that this game is going to benefit from the fact that it really is very good so it should continue to sell copies even a ways out after release.

Bust Rodd posted:

I sort of assumed through different audio logs that the very first breach was likely a psychics ethereal phenomena. One of Calvino's looking glass visions or Morgan's dreams could be a strong enough psychic tether to pull a Typhon into our dimension. We have no concept of how they move through space without propulsion, but in as far as we know they seem to be life forms based off of psionic energy.

Here's a trailer that goes over the backstory of Talos 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXgarefKupc

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zereth posted:

Yeah for everything else the stun gun makes electronics stop working.

There are computers you can't activate by any other method, though.

Its a bug in the simulation, not a bug in the game :v:

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 6, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The atmosphere venting in atmosphere control can also help with a specific quest cause it won't kill in that case.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

turn off the TV posted:

I think that this game is going to benefit from the fact that it really is very good so it should continue to sell copies even a ways out after release.

Here's a trailer that goes over the backstory of Talos 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXgarefKupc

The first encounter with the Typhon is shown in-game on a video screen as an astronaut gets mauled by a passing mimic.

Also I'm still pissed that the game spoiled itself for me. Earlier on, maybe in Psychotronics, you see a note that explicitly discusses the possibility of putting human neurons into Typhon and running it through a sim until it interacted correctly with the humans. The note goes on to speculate they would need a volunteer for this, and that Morgan was particularly keen on this experiment. I immediately assumed that's what was happening for the remainder of the game and welp. Also, the game kept going back-and-forth about the status of Earth. Many characters refer to evacuations and crisis Earthside so for the majority of the game I was under the impression Earth was already hosed up and January was just flat-out wrong. Then I hear most people think Morgan went Earthside, I ended up getting the December 'ending', the constant flashes of Alex and being told they're lying to you... I feel like I would have enjoyed the ending if I wasn't expecting it literally from the very start.

Also I do think the explanation for the initial breech is in-game They do talk a shitload about telepaths mind controlling people and having them release mimics. iirc the guy that caused it is the same one you find locked up that blows up if you open the door for him.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 7, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Atoramos posted:

The first encounter with the Typhon is shown in-game on a video screen as an astronaut gets mauled by a passing mimic.

Also I'm still pissed that the game spoiled itself for me. Earlier on, maybe in Psychotronics, you see a note that explicitly discusses the possibility of putting human neurons into Typhon and running it through a sim until it interacted correctly with the humans. The note goes on to speculate they would need a volunteer for this, and that Morgan was particularly keen on this experiment. I immediately assumed that's what was happening for the remainder of the game and welp. Also, the game kept going back-and-forth about the status of Earth. Many characters refer to evacuations and crisis Earthside so for the majority of the game I was under the impression Earth was already hosed up and January was just flat-out wrong. Then I hear most people think Morgan went Earthside, I ended up getting the December 'ending', the constant flashes of Alex and being told they're lying to you... I feel like I would have enjoyed the ending if I wasn't expecting it literally from the very start.

They play this up in other ways, too. For example, one of the books is Good Cop/Good Cop, which says in part that

quote:

It is important to note that the majority of suspects want to talk. Let them. Provide some prompts, but only to keep the words flowing. Do not attempt to direct them, but just keep them talking. My experience - and case-studies back this - has been that most people will move toward the information you want to know if you just listen to them and reaffirm their assumptions when they need it.

There's also Engineering Control Systems

quote:

There's a metaphor here, you know. Typically, the objective of control theory is to monitor the output of a system and compare it with the desired output (the reference signal). The difference between the actual and the desired outputs (the error signal) is applied as feedback to the input of the system, to bring the actual output closer to the reference. Good control systems - and good engineers - learn from the past.

The fact that I was able to figure out the gist of the ending pretty early into the game was actually one of the things I enjoyed the most about it.

Atoramos posted:

Also I do think the explanation for the initial breech is in-game They do talk a shitload about telepaths mind controlling people and having them release mimics. iirc the guy that caused it is the same one you find locked up that blows up if you open the door for him.

They confirm that this is what happened. The guy in medical forgot to put down is psychoscope. This is also the email where the writer muses about forcing Typhon to empathize with humans.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

The fact that I was able to figure out the gist of the ending pretty early into the game was actually one of the things I enjoyed the most about it.

Yea I just don't feel this way having made the same connection you did above. I noticed both books and immediately understood the context but I was hoping for the story to go somewhere else, and that the ending I had figured out was intended to be only what you think is going to happen, because it was so obvious and spelled out. This and this are fairly early in the game, and came off as sloppy writing; not because I have an objection to the "It was all a simulation" ending, but because I only realized in retrospect it was meant to be a twist at all, and a number of friends explicitly hadn't read those notes or figured things out. Even the messages between Will Yu and Dahl discuss Project Cobalt. Add in that the same was true of the status of Earth, and the entire ending really fell flat for me.

Really just remove that email and transcribe from the game and I would have been pretty happy all things considered. Great game but I don't understand why they're necessary.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 7, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Atoramos posted:

Yea I just don't feel this way having made the same connection you did above. I noticed both books and immediately understood the context but I was hoping for the story to go somewhere else, and that the ending I had figured out was intended to be only what you think is going to happen, because it was so obvious and spelled out. This and this are fairly early in the game, and came off as sloppy writing; not because I have an objection to the "It was all a simulation" ending, but because I only realized in retrospect it was meant to be a twist at all, and a number of friends explicitly hadn't read those notes or figured things out. Add in that the same was true of the status of Earth, and the entire ending really fell flat for me.

Really just remove that email and transcribe from the game and I would have been pretty happy all things considered. Great game but I don't understand why they're necessary.

I don't think that it was supposed to be a twist, you can get the bad ending and find out pretty early into the game, all things considered.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was always paranoid about January, especially after she offs December. I was anticipating that the first message you get from Morgan was not a warning to yourself, but Morgan deceiving the Typhon-imposter into killing itself (with January as the guiding hand). I was suspicious of being tricked into my own demise. But it turns out January was based on a better-hearted Morgan, and was actually a sweet person that I wish you could take on the shuttle. That was the twist for me.

And I love how you slowly unravel that mystery. There's ample scraps of information that eventually make things clear, but it's never completely, explicitly spelled out for you.

turn off the TV posted:

I don't think that it was supposed to be a twist, you can get the bad ending and find out pretty early into the game, all things considered.

I've seen people (and an LP) completely miss what that ending pretty much spells out.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 7, 2017

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Atoramos posted:

'The Evacuation' Doesn't refer to anything about the Typhon invasion of earth, it refers to a grey-goo like recycler incident in the middle east prior to the game's events. People think Morgan went Earthside, because this was the lie Alex told as a cover while she was trapped in the neuromod testing cycle. I'll grant you though the biggest spoiler for the ending was the December escape pod sequence. Even noted youtube moron DSP figured it out at that point. Still, I like how they handled it, the ending still had a lot of weight to me even with all the hints laying around.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Sardonik posted:

'The Evacuation' Doesn't refer to anything about the Typhon invasion of earth, it refers to a grey-goo like recycler incident in the middle east prior to the game's events. People think Morgan went Earthside, because this was the lie Alex told as a cover while she was trapped in the neuromod testing cycle.

These make a lot of sense. I'm not sure where the Evacuation is spelled out but enough NPCs discuss it that I got the complete wrong impression. I understand that's the truth behind Morgan, but to someone who was already expecting that I was playing a Typhon-Morgan and not Real-Morgan, it only served to reinforce that impression (along with the Earth thing, and getting the December ending early, and noticing the Transcribe and Emails above...

Another thought I just had: Alex and Morgan are presumably the ones who decided to turn prisoners into neuromods, but Alex considers saving the prisoner a point in your favor at the end. Just thought that was sort of odd, the Yu's never really do face the horrors of what they've done, or express any regrets to the humans they've harmed (other than Alex over the PA when he knows Dahl's trying to take things over).

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I just reactivated the main elevator thing, what percentage of the game is left from here?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

I just reactivated the main elevator thing, what percentage of the game is left from here?

50%? Depends on if you bee-lined the main elevator after entering arboretum or if you did other stuff first.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Atoramos posted:

Another thought I just had: Alex and Morgan are presumably the ones who decided to turn prisoners into neuromods, but Alex considers saving the prisoner a point in your favor at the end. Just thought that was sort of odd, the Yu's never really do face the horrors of what they've done, or express any regrets to the humans they've harmed (other than Alex over the PA when he knows Dahl's trying to take things over).

Not that it's absolving, but Alex admits to being a dick during the post credits ending, iirc.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Not that it's absolving, but Alex admits to being a dick during the post credits ending, iirc.

Yeah, considering the ending is in the context of an empathy test, it's important to acknowledge empathic behavior even if Alex or Morgan hadn't displayed it at the time. All of the game's events are ultimately their fault.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I was always paranoid about January, [spoiler]especially after she offs December. I was anticipating that the first message you get from Morgan was not a warning to yourself, but Morgan deceiving the Typhon-imposter into killing itself (with January as the guiding hand). I was suspicious of being tricked into my own demise. But it turns out January was based on a better-hearted Morgan, and was actually a sweet person that I wish you could take on the shuttle. That was the twist for me.

Huh, I didn't know about that. I've played through it twice and both times I've found his remains with nothing around him. I just assumed he'd been killed by the Typhon hanging out in that room and I was always too late.

EDIT - Spoiler code not working for me at the moment..

Octy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 7, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really hope the new System Shock isn't art deco, because then we'll have had a solid 10 year runs of art deco submarines/spaceships hybrid shooters.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I really hope the new System Shock isn't art deco, because then we'll have had a solid 10 year runs of art deco submarines/spaceships hybrid shooters.

i rolled my eyes a bit when i first saw the talos lobby, to be honest

or maybe it was at the tape decks before that. either way.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not sure why they went with Art Deco, the station should have been brutalist, given the timeline.

Rinkles posted:

Morgan had already wanted to stop any further experiments with the Typhon before they started the neuromod removal tests, but that got veto'd.

Prav posted:

i rolled my eyes a bit when i first saw the talos lobby, to be honest

or maybe it was at the tape decks before that. either way.

The tape decks at least make sense, the station itself was laid down in the 60's so it would make sense for them to still have a lot of pretty ancient systems laying around.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 7, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

turn off the TV posted:

The tape decks at least make sense, the station itself was laid down in the 60's so it would make sense for them to still have a lot of pretty ancient systems laying around.
I think also the idea is that a lot of the formative technological development in the world of Prey was different from ours, because the space race became a collaborative thing between the USA and the USSR very early on after the Typhon were discovered. So, a lot of the stuff they were using around then probably became very advanced very quickly and thus stuck around for a while rather than getting phased out when more revolutionary stuff was developed. Similar to how right now we have super advanced gasoline combustion engines but if you went back in time and said "let's all make electric cars instead," someone from that timeline who came to our timeline would be like "how come all these internal gasoline combustion engine cars are driving around? That's Model T poo poo!"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure why they went with Art Deco, the station should have been brutalist, given the timeline.

Much as I adore some good Brutalism, it comes from béton brut, French for bare concrete; and I'm inclined to agree with the namer that concrete or at least breezeblock is necessary for the look to really work. Would be a bit strange to have a space station made of concrete, given its heavy, porous nature.

Realistically I think they went with deco because it looks nice and isn't that hard to make, and tends to already be associated with retrofuturism thanks to properties like Bioshock, Fallout, etc. I think a different look might have been better suited to the game, but with that said I think the environment was very nicely executed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

aniviron posted:

Much as I adore some good Brutalism, it comes from béton brut, French for bare concrete; and I'm inclined to agree with the namer that concrete or at least breezeblock is necessary for the look to really work. Would be a bit strange to have a space station made of concrete, given its heavy, porous nature.

you could use lunar regolith. "heavy" isn't a huge concern when you're lifting from the moon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Atoramos posted:

Just the first bit of coral was enough to give the game away for me. Every one will have a different level of "ah hah!" and the twist isn't even really necessary anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Just the first bit of coral was enough to give the game away for me. Every one will have a different level of "ah hah!" and the twist isn't even really necessary anyway.

What do you mean?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

Realistically I think they went with deco because it looks nice and isn't that hard to make, and tends to already be associated with retrofuturism thanks to properties like Bioshock, Fallout, etc. I think a different look might have been better suited to the game, but with that said I think the environment was very nicely executed.

I mean they were willing to install marble floors in the lobby, I don't think that concrete would have been much of an issue.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think there's a lot of possible interpretations to run towards the ending and while it's inevitable some people will see it coming, I don't think that makes it a bad ending.
Me personally, I had a different theory going forward. I too was thinking we might not be the "real" Morgan for a long time, especially with the pre-recorded messages and January being so insistent to remind you to blow the station at every turn. But the direction I was going was that we were a robot experiencing this in the present, not a typhon in a simulation. Early on there were several books about mimicking speech patterns (as January does, and as we do with Sho to get into Deep Storage), and the aforementioned book about feedback systems to correct data and behavior. Like other posters I assumed they'd given the game away early, but I thought it was to a different end. When they mentioned that robot some rich old guy was replacing himself with and giving his power of attorney to, who had his voice and behavior, I thought for sure it was heavy foreshadowing. For a long time you don't even meet with anyone in person who'd be able to recognize you, until around the time you save Rani at the Arboretum greenhouse. That coupled with no working mirrors made me think we were some android to replace Morgan.
I also suspected that the entire "video message to self" in the Looking Glass could have been fabricated -- I don't know the CG effect limitations of this world so how would I know if that was real and not a voice-synthesized "me" going "no yeah totally trust January it's cool"? There were more "hints" to suggest I was on the right track, like with the cover story of Morgan being earthside. The initial and obvious conclusion is that this is just a coverup to excuse Morgan being trapped in the simulation, but what it made me wonder if maybe the twist was that Alex was actually telling the truth, and at some point the real Morgan would come back to the station and confront me. I was pretty excited for that possibility.

I guess my point is that there are a lot of clues to the ending, but there's also a lot of things that people might falsely assume are clues and go off in the wrong direction. Not quite red herrings, but still, it's easy to assume the game spells it all out when the one theory you caught onto was the right one. Now obviously maybe I'm just dumb and unobservant, but I was pretty convinced of my theory right up until I wasn't.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol if you are mad at the game "spoiling itself" because the opening is designed to make you suspicious. The weird tests, the way the game shows you an inkblot that looks like a mimic right before the first one appears, and the whole sim lab area are inviting you to question whether you ever escaped the test cycle. It's suggested its twist in the first ten minutes, and the really impressive thing is that when the twist arrives it's not the obvious one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

"Eradicator auto turrets. Transtar's last ditch defense against an outbreak. [...] Shouldn't be a problem for you. [ PREGNANT PAUSE ] Since you're not an alien."

Sometimes I got the impression January and some of the people you meet were knowing actors in the simulation.