Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CJ posted:

IS there a main website where decklists get posted?

swdestinydb.com

and yeah, kylo/anakin is a relatively cheap deck to build, and there's a bunch of (slightly) different ways to build it depending on what you have available to you

Hauki fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The dumbest thing i've seen so far is jabba / portions guy from ep 7. He did some bullshit to get a poo poo load of resources round 1 then round 2 played an upgrade that insta-killed my palpatine.

That's the site i found for decklists but it seems pretty terrible from a browsing perspective. Is it not possible to filter by time period to get rid of all the vanilla decks?

CJ fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 3, 2017

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Crime Lord is pretty mean.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Anybody want to buy a Rocket Launcher off me?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
EaW spoilers make Poe/Maz even better, with no real answer to them yet. Lukas said the new set was all about aggression. Joy.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bottom Liner posted:

EaW spoilers make Poe/Maz even better, with no real answer to them yet. Lukas said the new set was all about aggression. Joy.

http://imgur.com/a/0BxIp

Yeah.

Honorable mention:

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Thermal paint is going to be bonkers on Sabine.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

Honorable mention:

Maybe I won't sell all my cards and quit after all. :rolldice:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

lol, it's already stupid aggressive

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Exactly. They want this to be a 2-3 round game I guess. They said something along the lines of wanting it to feel like a fighting game because of the dueling nature, but making an all aggro card game is a pretty drat boring design space to limit yourself to.

Raxe
Oct 8, 2004
And if we die, before the battle's through, tell your mom, tell your dad we were super rad
While I am not excited for more aggro, I am interested to see what they have in mind for vehicles/supports. Most seem a bit too slow and/or costly, so I wonder what they will do in that space. I would like to see a couple more ways to interact with an opponents supports, whether it be removing or exhausting them with them being used.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I guess a new FAQ went up on an Italian site and was immediately pulled, but here's the translation:

Fast Hands = yellow character only.
Ammo Belt = weapons only.
Shields = other effects that block damage (Force Illusion, Armor Plating, etc) can be used before OR after using shields to block damage. Not sure that wasn't already played that way, but it clarifies that shields and other blocking effects resolve simultaneously, so you can choose the order, if it matters.
When two effects trigger simultaneously, and each are controlled by opposing players, whoever controls the battlefield determines the resolution order. (Think Tusken activating, which triggers his ability and Jango simultaneously)
When an attachment is "moved" the associated die goes back to the card.
Surgical Strike = You cannot remove 0 dice to remove a support that costs 1.
Qui-Gon Jinn = When QGJ has the maximum of shields, you can still use his ability and remove 1 shield before getting new shields.
One with the Force = When it becomes a support, the die goes back to the card.
Training = When Training is discarded, the controller of that character determines which die is removed.
Carbon Freezing Chamber = you can choose a die that is not in the pool.
Force Illusion = You can use shields or FI in whichever order you want (as stated above)
My Ally is the Force = You can turn a die showing focus to another side of the same die.
Ventress = clarified to specify that she makes you discard 2 total cards, not a different, single card.
Cargo Hold = You can ignore game restrictions when move an upgrade

https://www.reddit.com/r/swdestiny/comments/6luqjv/goodbye_ammo_beltsc_loop_and_poe_with_fh_new/

Interesting clarification about how when cards move (or become supports like OWTF), the die leaves the pool and goes back onto the card.
The fast hands errata affects Poe/Maz and Vader/Raider in a pretty big way.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Errata-ing everything as a solution instead of just doing a ban/restrict list is the dumbest poo poo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

triple sulk posted:

Errata-ing everything as a solution instead of just doing a ban/restrict list is the dumbest poo poo.

A thousand times this. Instead of opening the card pool up, this tightens it even more. Jesus loving christ no wonder Lukas tanked Netrunner. Not to mention the utter fuckery this will cause with the second hand market.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Are they even playtesting this? I'm becoming more and more pessimistic for the long term health of this game, and wondering it's all going to be worthless in a few years like the Decipher CCG.
There's inability to fill demand for sealed product, really questionable cards, and half the hall of fame of top meta decks are incredibly oppressive to play against.

Jango/Veers could pretty reliably kill characters in 2-3 turns, frustratingly leaving the other player unable to manipulate dice.
Hyperloop was, well, hyperloop. Wasn't the winning-est thing, but would completely ruin your day if you're forced to play against it.
That morphed into Poe/Maz which is the most obnoxious thing ever. It makes you feel like you're being goldfished because very few of your choices matter.

This game is really fun but man oh man the top meta tournament stuff is very un-fun.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

Power level errata sucks and Magic stopped doing it eleven years ago.

Meanwhile I've barely played any post-SoR games because everyone sold their cards in the seven month drought of Awakenings availability.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

A thousand times this. Instead of opening the card pool up, this tightens it even more. Jesus loving christ no wonder Lukas tanked Netrunner. Not to mention the utter fuckery this will cause with the second hand market.

Either Lukas is a really bad game designer or perhaps FFG just doesn't have the resources to properly playtest. Maybe it's both. You can get away with an errata like Hyperspace Jump if you're making a new zone like exile or maybe missing a critical word in the rules text, but when you just start changing the fundamental functionality of cards, it isn't really an errata so much has "we hosed up and want to change this after the fact." Say goodbye to having a functional legacy format if one was going to exist at some point because their solution is to just change how the card functions which doesn't allow for the better solution of banning and unbanning as the meta permits, which Magic does, as well as pretty much every other major TCG. It's absolutely not perfect, but it's the obvious and much better solution.

I sold just about all of my value cards a few weeks ago when I finally realized that I just hate stacking RNG on top of RNG in the form of the dice, and also because my collection was already hilariously out of control with how much space I was taking up just for dice. I still have a bunch left and selling them is basically impossible because shipping a $2-4 dice rare is essentially impossible without losing money.

canyoneer posted:

Are they even playtesting this? I'm becoming more and more pessimistic for the long term health of this game, and wondering it's all going to be worthless in a few years like the Decipher CCG.
There's inability to fill demand for sealed product, really questionable cards, and half the hall of fame of top meta decks are incredibly oppressive to play against.

Jango/Veers could pretty reliably kill characters in 2-3 turns, frustratingly leaving the other player unable to manipulate dice.
Hyperloop was, well, hyperloop. Wasn't the winning-est thing, but would completely ruin your day if you're forced to play against it.
That morphed into Poe/Maz which is the most obnoxious thing ever. It makes you feel like you're being goldfished because very few of your choices matter.

This game is really fun but man oh man the top meta tournament stuff is very un-fun.

Like I said above, I just think it's some combination of things.

Raxe
Oct 8, 2004
And if we die, before the battle's through, tell your mom, tell your dad we were super rad
While I don't have as much experience with CCGs as others do (mostly just Hearthstone and SWD) so I haven't been involved in varying flavors of this conversation over the years, but I would, in most cases, prefer smaller tweaks to how cards work rather than just having them banned outright. So far their errata has been on smaller scale, I don't recall a card functionality being fundamentally changed so far in SWD, they have all been minor changes to the card. If they take the approach that Hearthstone has taken, where they completely nerf problem cards into the ground/change their base functionality, then I can see having an issue with that. Not being able to play an archetype anymore just because that card is no longer around is no fun. Maybe it is the software developer in me, but I would rather make small changes to fix a problem area rather than just getting rid of it completely.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah I made the decision to cash out a couple days ago. I do agree that it's a mechanically interesting game and conceptually the idea of alternating actions that allow reactions and dynamic play is really cool, but they're fumbling around pretty badly with it all still. If the game has legs things should at least theoretically stabilize, and there will be product available in the future. If it sticks around while also keeping MtG level single prices then they can just keep it. At the moment though, having two decks of Vader and Jango, it seems crazy to hold onto this much cardboard money and not do a whole lot with it. I place a lot of value on healthy competitive scenes, so if that ain't there then it's a huge ding against any game for me. The high prices/unavailability of sealed product are just more wood for that fire. I'm comfortable washing my hands of it all for now and just waiting to see where it all ends up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/7/sleight-of-hand/

Looks like it's official.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Raxe posted:

While I don't have as much experience with CCGs as others do (mostly just Hearthstone and SWD) so I haven't been involved in varying flavors of this conversation over the years, but I would, in most cases, prefer smaller tweaks to how cards work rather than just having them banned outright. So far their errata has been on smaller scale, I don't recall a card functionality being fundamentally changed so far in SWD, they have all been minor changes to the card. If they take the approach that Hearthstone has taken, where they completely nerf problem cards into the ground/change their base functionality, then I can see having an issue with that. Not being able to play an archetype anymore just because that card is no longer around is no fun. Maybe it is the software developer in me, but I would rather make small changes to fix a problem area rather than just getting rid of it completely.

You can do this in Hearthstone and in a lot of ways it doesn't matter because Hearthstone has no secondary market (in that sense it really is strictly a CCG) and is a self-contained environment due to being a digital game. When you're dealing with a paper TCG with multiple reprintings of cards that hold value because of their expected capabilities, changing the rules text so dramatically on a whim isn't a good way to win over the competitive scene (particularly in legacy formats for long-term card usage) or the secondary market.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, I'm bothered by the errata business mostly because there's no way to physically change the card text of what's already been printed to reflect whatever the gently caress it actually does now, and given their already existing supply issues I don't expect a flood of new product with updated text.

Hearthstone doesn't have to address either of those issues. Or the secondary market, they can just give you a full dust refund whenever they mess with poo poo.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Errata for balance, in 2 sets from launch.
There are 3 straight up balance errata (hyperspace jump, fast hands, ammo belt), and I'd count the Outer Rim Smuggler card errata as just poor wording to get an infinite resource loop.

Contrast that to X-Wing, which has been running for 4 years now. There are a bunch of errata'd cards, but most of them are just errata'ed from dumb wording or to be consistent with rules language from later sets.

The balance errata are pretty few, total of 10. (cluster mines, decloaking rules, red move when stressed, deadeye, Palpatine, heavy scyk title, tactician, TIE /x7, Zuckuss, Manaroo). And 8 of those happened within the last year (all but decloaking rules and tactician) due to releasing some expansions that screwed up the balance big time.

I understand there's a lot more content that comes out in a card set with 160 cards, but man, at this rate it's going to be a big mess of errata a few cycles in.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

I'd also rather they banned than errata'd. It feels like FFG has a frustrating habit of reinventing the wheel that this is pretty well in line with, sigh.

I'm not giving up on the game yet (not that I can spend any money on it right now anyway with the product shortages!) but what's more worrying to me is the dev statements than the number of erratas at this point. No one understands a CCG fully in the first few years, so most outright mistakes (as opposed to contextual mistakes) get made within that time period and it is almost unavoidable that some will exist. I don't feel like this number is egregious - look at how many flagrantly absurd cards Magic made even several years in (they didn't get it under control until after Urza's Saga).

I am discouraged by the focus on aggression though. It feels like if Jango and Poe/Maz are "we messed up the power level a little" vs "this is several steps too fast", then the card design isn't going to make the game fun for me in the long-term.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Ultiville posted:

I'd also rather they banned than errata'd. It feels like FFG has a frustrating habit of reinventing the wheel that this is pretty well in line with, sigh.

I'm not giving up on the game yet (not that I can spend any money on it right now anyway with the product shortages!) but what's more worrying to me is the dev statements than the number of erratas at this point. No one understands a CCG fully in the first few years, so most outright mistakes (as opposed to contextual mistakes) get made within that time period and it is almost unavoidable that some will exist. I don't feel like this number is egregious - look at how many flagrantly absurd cards Magic made even several years in (they didn't get it under control until after Urza's Saga).

I am discouraged by the focus on aggression though. It feels like if Jango and Poe/Maz are "we messed up the power level a little" vs "this is several steps too fast", then the card design isn't going to make the game fun for me in the long-term.

I feel pretty much the same way. I'll keep avoiding the tournament scene as long as this hyper-aggro is the only way to play, either with Poe/Maz or ePalp. The whole point of a dice and card game is trying to manipulate the dice to remove some of the variance.

Also, they needed to errata Poe to "Vehicles only" because it would be thematically consistent and mechanically appropriate, as well as evening out the power level. The fact that Lukas didn't bothers me.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I recommend selling your cards while you can still get good value for them, this game isn't getting any better

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I made a proxy set that cost me probably $4 total in paper and ink and I still feel burned. If I can figure out a fun table draft mode it can at least still be a fun game night game, but drat.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Alright, out of 30ish people tonight I think ten were running Luke Rey. I'm kind of tempted just to join them since I've got most or all of the deck already, but what else has a good matchup against it?
I might just be misplaying against it, but the constant action chaining makes it difficult to mitigate incoming damage or remove dice before they're resolved, Luke's pile of hp makes him difficult to burn through. I've been focusing Rey first since she goes down quicker and usually gets the first couple upgrades, but then Luke's plowing me for six a turn naked while I drop her and I lose in the long game since whatever character I've got left at that point generally doesn't matchup well against him plus upgrades.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

In other news, here's my updated tradelist again.
Biggest priority right now is the 2x Vibroknucklers.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/21/man-your-battlestations/

Looks like vehicles are getting a big push this go round, and there are a lot of events revealed here that seem to make slower teams more viable/mitigate action cheating a little bit. I am cautiously optimistic...!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hera is cool as hell.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Hera is cool as hell.

Hera looks really slick with a Quadjumper.
Reckless Reentry looks really great with the Millennium Falcon/Ghost/U-Wing, as they have no blank sides.

Hera with Quadjumper and either Falcon/U-Wing in hand could drop one of the latter into the game off a special for just 2 resources, nice.

With all the new vehicle stuff, I wonder if we see Veers again.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Did anyone here come visit us at SDCC and get the Luke and Vader promos?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

No but the people in my area are going super crazy over those cards but noone could get any

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...i bought a awakenings booster box because im a bad person and haven't even played the game but I had to have one...i got luke, lukes saber, jango, jabba, dooku, grievous and some other stuff, actually I think I got 3 legendaries in it so money well spent now to learn the game

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

...i bought a awakenings booster box because im a bad person and haven't even played the game but I had to have one...i got luke, lukes saber, jango, jabba, dooku, grievous and some other stuff, actually I think I got 3 legendaries in it so money well spent now to learn the game

you're guaranteed six legendaries in a box barring misprints

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I got six, I think I got decent ones atleast the ones I wanted with cool art (both jabbas luke grievous)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

If anyone cares apparently there was another wave of awakenings too. My LGS posted saying they were releasing them tomorrow, sounds like they got at least a dozen more or so.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, my FLGS just got a bunch more awakenings this week too. They must have close to 20 boxes and are still rationing packs daily. Demand seems to have died off for the set locally, and the store isn't doing much to try to bring in new players aside from hosting a poorly advertised weekly event. Wish they could offload some to people who actually need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Merauder posted:

Yeah, my FLGS just got a bunch more awakenings this week too. They must have close to 20 boxes and are still rationing packs daily. Demand seems to have died off for the set locally, and the store isn't doing much to try to bring in new players aside from hosting a poorly advertised weekly event. Wish they could offload some to people who actually need them.

Yeah, I appreciate the rationing to some extent, but the only new blood I see are like girlfriends/boyfriends of the college age crowd at my store and they're just borrowing cards & playing pretty casually. There's a weekly event at the store closest to me that is growing, but most of the crowd seems to play frequently at half a dozen different stores spread across a 120+ mile radius, so it's not like the pool of players is really getting any bigger, just more desperate I guess. Of the regulars maybe a third have giant hoards that dwarf my collection, and I'm getting reasonably close to playsets of both sets at this point. Yet, these are the people queuing up to buy boxes the moment they're released, for what purpose I don't really know.

I remember trying to trade with a couple of them when I first went to an event there pre-Awakenings reprint and one dude had literal dozens of some of the staple commons, battlefields etc. that I was trying to pick up, and it slowly became clear he wasn't actually willing to part with any of it. I think I pulled out a couple isolations from his pile of 20 odd and he promptly slipped them back in, saying he "probably needs those."

Anyway, the rest of the player pool seems to be evenly split between guys who have most of what they need, can probably field several competitive decks but just don't have a chance to play outside of a couple times a month, and high school to college age kids who just don't have the money or ability to put together a decent collection, so they play whatever they can scrape together. I was also surprised at the number of people who had shared collections there and had to make weird or suboptimal inclusions in their decks to play around whatever their friends were already using.

I guess the part that bothers me is very few of the guys with giant hoards of cards and tons of experience are willing to engage at all outside of their little cliques, and of those even fewer seem to have any interest in trying to grow the game or help new players get into it. Like now that I've got a reasonably large collection myself, you can bet I'm never going to use a dozen isolations simultaneously, so gently caress it, commons are virtually worthless anyway, might as well give a couple away if it helps some new dude stick around and stay vested in the game.

:words: