Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Do they pay over time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I heard an ad on the radio for Amazon warehouse jobs in Sumner, WA so I headed over to the website to check it out.

Some highlights:

I loving hate that WA temperature rules only apply to outdoor work.

EDIT: Another fun food safety lab story. The building was your standard three story commercial office building. Every fuse was overloaded powering incubators, fridges, freezers and deep freezers. If you were to guess that keeping those within their specific temperature ranges was important, you'd be correct! The power system was so slapdash that there were times when half of my cubicle would go out.

So suffice it to say that the week in the middle of the summer when the maintenance guy went on vacation and the A/C broke, everything went to hell. What, you think the owner would pony up for a repair guy to come out? No loving way, he had fine art to pay for.* Since these were closed up labs, there was now no place for the heat generated by all the equipment to go. Since it was getting warmer, those machines worked extra hard to keep their contents cold. Which generated more heat. So those poor saps inthe basement were working in 90+ degree heat, no ventilation and everything was out of calibration. Fun times.

*There was an original Dali print hanging next to my cubicle. No poo poo.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 6, 2017

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I heard an ad on the radio for Amazon warehouse jobs in Sumner, WA so I headed over to the website to check it out.

Some highlights:

So it is like most warehouse jobs, but they are honest about it?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Some highlights:

The destruction of worker protections in this country is shameful. Now companies are selling you being treated like an actual serf as a good thing.

In other news, St. Louis just lowered it's minimum wage from $10 to $7.70. gently caress this poo poo.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...4ad92cc65a.html

article posted:

ST. LOUIS • The minimum wage in St. Louis will revert to $7.70 an hour on Aug. 28, with Gov. Eric Greitens announcing on Friday that he will allow a bill blocking the city’s increase to become law without his signature. The bill in question bans local minimum wages, requiring all cities and municipalities in Missouri to stick to the statewide standard. Minimum wage workers in St. Louis are making $10 an hour after winning a two-year legal fight against business groups who challenged a 2015 city ordinance authorizing an increase. Under that city law, the wage was set to rise again in January to $11 an hour, then increase annually with inflation.

"We want decisions made by local governments, not the big scary federal government"

*city raises minimum wage*

"NO NOT LIKE THAT!"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like that amazon is like "hey it's gonna be loud and hot af in here. Wear comfy shoes and BYO ear pro lol"

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ohio passed one of those bills preemptively last year.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2016/12/gov_john_kasich_signs_bill_blo.html

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I like that amazon is like "hey it's gonna be loud and hot af in here. Wear comfy shoes and BYO ear pro lol"

I appreciate companies that are up front with you that the job will suck.

When I started consulting they flat out told the new hire group "If you get married or have a kid you'll probably quit in 6 months. Don't sweat it, this job ain't a job for people with families. Transfer to one of the branches that has a better work/life balance".

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Do they pay over time?

I bet it is some bullshit, like my job, wherein you only qualify for overtime if you've already worked 40 hours. Work a 12 hour day and you're still under 40? Tough titties.

Flex-time is awful, and I hate how prevalent it is. You already get no hours, and your ~flexible shifts~ guarantee that finding a second job will be an absolute pain in the rear end- especially since the second job will want the same.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Xae posted:

I appreciate companies that are up front with you that the job will suck.

When I started consulting they flat out told the new hire group "If you get married or have a kid you'll probably quit in 6 months. Don't sweat it, this job ain't a job for people with families. Transfer to one of the branches that has a better work/life balance".

To be fair, the alternative is the firm be strictly "up or out" which gets really silly when people ignore their families to move up the ladder only to be floored that their family hates them and their job performance reflects that. Setting that precedent early is about the best advice I ever heard a partner give here. My "least busy" client manager still logged 160 days on the road in 2016, and that was the absolute lightest amount of travel that role has, and that's with two children under 6. The only reason he even keeps the job is because he'll probably be able to retire in his 40s at his current paygrade/in our local market. The greatest irony though is that we limit travel by any analyst titles, meaning the youngest people in the company get a really inaccurate impression of what moving up entails and get outright jumped by how horrible their first year truly traveling is. Pretty sure that if it weren't for our paychecks/dirt cheap CoL, we wouldn't exist.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

160 days travel gently caress that, that's go out to sea bad.

Middle aged single/divorced male middle managers who think that's all right are poison to an organization

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Middle aged single/divorced male middle managers who think that's all right are poison to an organization

The dumb thing is that when I traveled I was just doing development.

Some middle manager paid to have my rear end flown half way around the country, put in a hotel room and given a rental car for a week and then flown back for the weekend. Rinse and Repeat for 6 months.

Just so he could see an rear end in a chair.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor Butts posted:

Why the gently caress is there a bible museum in the USA anyway? Makes no loving sense.

What doesn't make sense about that?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BrandorKP posted:

i'd love 160 days of travel, but i don't have any kids or anything and also love traveling so prob the target for such a job

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if i could have a job that was 100% get on a plane or drive somewhere far away and do whatever, i'd be all over it

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So there's a mid-year updated retail deathwatch list (listed below in order of default risk):

• The Bon-Ton Stores
  • Sears/K-Mart
  • J. Crew
  • Claire's
  • Neiman Marcus
  • Toy's R' Us
  • Men's Wearhouse
  • J.C. Penney
  • Supervalu

The top four are the ones most likely to default in the near future, while the ones below will take longer.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

if i could have a job that was 100% get on a plane or drive somewhere far away and do whatever, i'd be all over it

And that's one solution, find someone who loves it but sees that others don't. That and staff properly in the first place and get rid of the "need to see butts in chairs" crap heads. This large percentage of travel stuff is growing rapidly in logistics / supply chain jobs as companies merge and centralize.

Edit: it crosses over with increased automation, as experts get rarer because X is more automated, they end up having to travel more.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 7, 2017

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Do they pay over time?

It would, uh, be illegal if they didn't.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Noctone posted:

It would, uh, be illegal if they didn't.

Not that that has ever stopped anyone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Horseshoe theory posted:

So there's a mid-year updated retail deathwatch list (listed below in order of default risk):

• The Bon-Ton Stores
  • Sears/K-Mart
  • J. Crew
  • Claire's
  • Neiman Marcus
  • Toy's R' Us
  • Men's Wearhouse
  • J.C. Penney
  • Supervalu

The top four are the ones most likely to default in the near future, while the ones below will take longer.

ah crap J-Crew is one of the bigger employers in my hometown (Lynchburg, it's the distribution center for all the clothes), this is actually kind of a bummer to read

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
At what point do my gift cards stop having legal value? poo poo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nevvy Z posted:

At what point do my gift cards stop having legal value? poo poo.

When the matching stores no longer exist and whoever buys the brand name for a lovely website doesn't want to bother taking them.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

PT6A posted:

Yeah, here too, while arguing against a bus rapid transit expansion.

These people are so sheltered they've obviously never even tried bringing a large thing they've bought on the bus with them.

The Atlanta suburbs have been using that argument to fight against public transit expansion for as long as I can remember.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

Up in the Air is the most accurate fictional depiction of the consulting lifestyle and the absolutely emotionally broken people it produces.

It's really horrible.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

axeil posted:

Up in the Air is the most accurate fictional depiction of the consulting lifestyle and the absolutely emotionally broken people it produces.

It's really horrible.

I was lucky to finally break free of being a consultant to a full time employee at another company a year ago and my god the quality of life jumped up 1000%

Even though I stopped traveling about in say 2012 you live in constant fear that your current project may be your last and there is always downward pressure on your wages so that you can remain chargeable for client projects.

Consulting is really only something someone should do in their late twenties and stop after age 32. Also all the major consulting firms are literal corporate crooks that are out to scam their corporate clients out of money.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

axeil posted:

It's really horrible.

Up in the Air absolutely nails the emotional distance and quasi-materialism of the job (clinging to weird travel perks like miles and points more than any actual nice things most people have). It completely fails to explain that the job outright recruits people predisposed to that as well. Like, there's a reason we screen for the type of people who still remember their ACT scores. My firm is a little strange just because the local market is so effing cheap that we don't mind buying things like property, especially since the condo/townhome market in urban areas is blowing up with more construction now, so people actually buy things. Our east coast office though? Those fuckers live like college students from new hires to experienced. Like, rent a cheap studio close to the airport, have vaguely reliable, cheap car for airport dumps or just uber at this point. Acquire money in bank account like a dragon that you never spend outside of the yearly dress shirt/suit purchases. There's a reason 30 is the industry age-out right now. It's because eventually even the second-most sociopathic industry of all gets tired of everything we earn being gains on paper and nothing more.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

QVC, The Home Shopping Network, and Infusion Brands (Makers of "As Seen on TV" products) are all merging under a buyout deal from QVC.

You can buy your slapchop, overpriced jewelry, and authentic japanese katanas all in one place for another couple of years before this new company goes bankrupt.

From a little while back but...

That was the headline of the local newspaper today, "HSN gobbled up by QVC for $2.1billion." poo poo, HSN is right up the road from me, I know people that work there. Folks will spend two hours on the bus each way to work an 8 in the call center. gently caress that for the pay. From what I gleaned listening to people that work there, a lot of the lovely retail/service things we talk about in this thread and the horrible customers thread are present.

Food's good now though, I know that. The cantina failed health inspection so badly they shut it down, then hired a contractor to run it. They take care not to repeat that mistake.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

i'd love 160 days of travel, but i don't have any kids or anything and also love traveling so prob the target for such a job

Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of marine geoscience!

I probably only do ~90 days a year travel, but most of the techs are on A/B rotation and will do 4-6 months out depending on the expedition schedule.

Horseshoe theory posted:

[*]Neiman Marcus

Kinda surprised to see that one. I thought luxury retail had largely been immune to the problems the rest of the industry was experiencing.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 7, 2017

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Kinda surprised to see that one. I thought luxury retail had largely been immune to the problems the rest of the industry was experiencing.

Neiman Marcus had financial troubles around the crisis, and has been sold several times between Private Equity firms, which each did a Leveraged Buy Out. Hudson's Bay was looking to buy them out recently, but apparently the amount of debt was a big risk factor for them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of marine geoscience!

I have co-workers and class mates who sail / sailed those ships.

k stone
Aug 30, 2009

Some people do actually take really well to it, but it is probably not fun in the way you are imagining. You travel to a place solely to work in someone else's office for 12+ hours a day only to go back to the hotel, maybe do more work, and pass out to start it again the next day. My most positive travel memory from two years of this is the eerie beauty of abandoned SoHo galleries and high-fashion window displays lit only by dull winter half-light on my way to a client site in the morning or by sodium lights when I went back to the hotel in the evening after all the stores had closed. A lot of my other travel experiences were to Columbus, Ohio.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Up in the Air absolutely nails the emotional distance and quasi-materialism of the job (clinging to weird travel perks like miles and points more than any actual nice things most people have). It completely fails to explain that the job outright recruits people predisposed to that as well. Like, there's a reason we screen for the type of people who still remember their ACT scores. My firm is a little strange just because the local market is so effing cheap that we don't mind buying things like property, especially since the condo/townhome market in urban areas is blowing up with more construction now, so people actually buy things. Our east coast office though? Those fuckers live like college students from new hires to experienced. Like, rent a cheap studio close to the airport, have vaguely reliable, cheap car for airport dumps or just uber at this point. Acquire money in bank account like a dragon that you never spend outside of the yearly dress shirt/suit purchases. There's a reason 30 is the industry age-out right now. It's because eventually even the second-most sociopathic industry of all gets tired of everything we earn being gains on paper and nothing more.

This is completely dead-on. On one project, the other consultant at my level had decided to do a 6-month rotation in the United States (she was based in Canada) in hopes of accelerating her promotions. She lost a long-term boyfriend over this, and also the company continued paying her in Canadian dollars while she was living on a massively overpriced short-term lease in the US, so she was actually losing money. She was actually really great to talk to outside of work, but previous projects conditioned her to engage in the pettiest sort of pedantic one-upmanship that's often endemic at the lower levels of consulting because you're often actually doing super mundane grunt work, so if you're ambitious, you try to show off by, say, finding minor punctuation errors in someone else's slides and saving the chance to loudly call them out for when a partner is in the room. She had also previously been on a project where she was traveling 6-7 days a week for 6 months, so she had achieved in a single year the super-ultimate-platinum hotel status where you're literally assigned a personal assistant to take care of stuff for you during your stay, which had to stand in for having a functional apartment that cost less than her salary. I was impressed and, moreso, terrified by her ability to completely shut out all the personal poo poo piling up in her life as long as she kept moving up the promotion ladder as fast as possible. I guess I also didn't fully realize the personal toll it was taking on me until I left before entering the managerial level to get a PhD and my partner kept telling me I seemed like a totally different person now that I was happy for the first time in a couple years.

e: To be less whiny about it, the pay is crazy for a job that hires a lot of people at the beginning of their careers, and if you're interested in switching to something with better quality of life after a few years, you'll be well-prepared for it. It does produce a lot of pretty emotionally broken people though.

k stone fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 7, 2017

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-is-closing-more-stores-2017-7

Sears has announced another round of store closures. 35 Kmart stores and 8 Sears stores.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thank you all for steering me away from a field I was considering. gently caress that sounds insufferable.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

I don't see much discussion in this thread about all of the state sales tax avoidance many big e-retailers take advantage of to add extra salt in the wound. While Amazon collects sales tax in all of the states that impose it, a number of other big retailers pretty much don't collect it due to a Supreme Court decision from the early 90's that held that if you don't have physical presence in a state, you don't have to collect sales tax there. The result is that big box stores take an extra competitive hit while state and local communities lose as much at 17.2 billion each year. http://www.efairness.org/files/Updated%20Sales%20Tax%20Loss%20Report.pdf. Some states are trying to challenge this, but in this dumb political environment where nothing matters, who the heck knows if it'll be successful.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Work/life balance doesn't seem like a big deal until you wake up one day and realize you haven't seen your best friend since their kid was born... and they're walking.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

MooselanderII posted:

I don't see much discussion in this thread about all of the state sales tax avoidance many big e-retailers take advantage of to add extra salt in the wound. While Amazon collects sales tax in all of the states that impose it, a number of other big retailers pretty much don't collect it due to a Supreme Court decision from the early 90's that held that if you don't have physical presence in a state, you don't have to collect sales tax there. The result is that big box stores take an extra competitive hit while state and local communities lose as much at 17.2 billion each year. http://www.efairness.org/files/Updated%20Sales%20Tax%20Loss%20Report.pdf. Some states are trying to challenge this, but in this dumb political environment where nothing matters, who the heck knows if it'll be successful.

I'm actually a state and local tax guy, and many states are actually passing New York-style Amazon sales tax nexus laws and enforcing them (of course, the states that have gone into the deep end with government austerity don't have the manpower to enforce it like New York or California do). And given that the Supreme Court has only heard one state and local tax case since Quill Corp v. North Dakota (the case you're referencing, which in turn reemphasized, in part, and modified, in part, an older case called National Bella Hess v. Department of Revenue), which is Comptroller of the Treasury of Maryland v. Wynne, the decision of the state Supreme Courts effectively is de jure legal, so there's now a crazy patchwork of varying rules about tax nexus, etc.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Horseshoe theory posted:

I'm actually a state and local tax guy, and many states are actually passing New York-style Amazon sales tax nexus laws and enforcing them (of course, the states that have gone into the deep end with government austerity don't have the manpower to enforce it like New York or California do). And given that the Supreme Court has only heard one state and local tax case since Quill Corp v. North Dakota (the case you're referencing, which in turn reemphasized, in part, and modified, in part, an older case called National Bella Hess v. Department of Revenue), which is Comptroller of the Treasury of Maryland v. Wynne, the decision of the state Supreme Courts effectively is de jure legal, so there's now a crazy patchwork of varying rules about tax nexus, etc.

Hasn't Justice Kennedy been on record suggesting that he would welcome revisiting Quill? I suppose the devil is in the details for each state law, but it seems to me that until Quill is revisited, poo poo loads of sales tax revenue is being ducked out on based on a decision based on mail order vendors.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

MooselanderII posted:

Hasn't Justice Kennedy been on record suggesting that he would welcome revisiting Quill? I suppose the devil is in the details for each state law, but it seems to me that until Quill is revisited, poo poo loads of sales tax revenue is being ducked out on based on a decision based on mail order vendors.

Kennedy wrote a concurrence in Direct Marketing Association to specifically call for a test case to challenge Quill. This has resulted in multiple states creating economic presence laws that basically say you have presence if you make more than a certain threshold of sales into the state each year (commonly 200 individual sales and $100,000 in revenue). South Dakota was the first and all the ones that have followed (Indiana, Alabama, Vermont through laws, Alabama and Tennessee through regulations) - note that this is not the states you'd necessarily expect) look remarkably similar right down to provisions where the state basically says "If we're challenged on this by a taxpayer it goes straight to court and we're required to be prevented from enforcing it until the case is final"). It's anyone's guess what the supreme court will actually do when these finally filter all the way up.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Yeah, the affiliate nexus laws have really taken off and as far as I know nobody has really even challenged them. I think with the DMA case finalized you're also going to see more aggressive notification laws. I'm interested to see how they're going to go after individual taxpayers for the use tax now that they have the records. That's honestly been one of the biggest challenges to getting the US Congress to move in this area. States don't audit individuals for use tax like they do businesses, so individuals totally believe that online/out-of-state sales are not sales taxed. So whenever you have something like the MFA come up it's easy to swing as "Congress wants to create a sales tax on online sales!"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

quote:

Yeah, the affiliate nexus laws have really taken off and as far as I know nobody has really even challenged them. I think with the DMA case finalized you're also going to see more aggressive notification laws. I'm interested to see how they're going to go after individual taxpayers for the use tax now that they have the records. That's honestly been one of the biggest challenges to getting the US Congress to move in this area. States don't audit individuals for use tax like they do businesses, so individuals totally believe that online/out-of-state sales are not sales taxed. So whenever you have something like the MFA come up it's easy to swing as "Congress wants to create a sales tax on online sales!"

States like New York have sent proposed assessments to people for years saying "We have reviewed a manifest and noticed that you brought in something valued in the manifest valued at $x - here's a proposed bill for use tax, interest and penalty. If you disagree or already paid use tax, please respond to us in writing."

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

States like New York have sent proposed assessments to people for years saying "We have reviewed a manifest and noticed that you brought in something valued in the manifest valued at $x - here's a proposed bill for use tax, interest and penalty. If you disagree or already paid use tax, please respond to us in writing."

Right. But if the Colorado law works out the way I think it will the state's actually going to have indisputable records from the retailer saying "Joe Citizen bought this thing at this price and no tax was collected." I haven't paid much attention (my employer has presence in Colorado anyway so it's mostly academic for us) but I'm wondering if DOR will be using it more for record keeping/data collection or actually sending out mass assessment notices. If you know more I'd actually be interested to hear your thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

Right. But if the Colorado law works out the way I think it will the state's actually going to have indisputable records from the retailer saying "Joe Citizen bought this thing at this price and no tax was collected." I haven't paid much attention (my employer has presence in Colorado anyway so it's mostly academic for us) but I'm wondering if DOR will be using it more for record keeping/data collection or actually sending out mass assessment notices. If you know more I'd actually be interested to hear your thoughts.

It's almost certainly for the latter.