Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played it for like 4 hours and it felt like borderline nonsense. Any appearance of tactical shooter was a facade for bog standard open world dicking around. Which isn't without it's own merits I guess. But the game is way more "lolol we are rolling down the mountain in a truck and hit a cow" than the elaborate base takedowns they advertised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I didn't really like MGS5 all that much, the open-world put me off, the drip-fed narrative put me off. I thought they base-building stuff was real neat, I dunno it felt a bit strange playing it on the PC as well, really would like to give that game a go again, bout time I replayed the whole series.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Weird Sandwich posted:

Having said that, I think the difficulty in Crash 1 is fairer

Crash Remastered really is the new dark souls. We are talking about fairness in difficulty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can't decide what I want to play/replay next goons:

TLOU: Grounded run
HZD: NG+
Alien Isolation: hard mode
Life is Strange (first time)
RE7 Madhouse
Fallout 4 survival

Help me make my decisions for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Until Dawn's pretty cool so far, though I got a chuckle out of all the probably useless stats for each character. I like being able to see the percentage of people who took each action as they took them, too.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

veni veni veni posted:

RE7 Madhouse
Fallout 4 survival

what have you played recently

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

RE7 Madhouse
Fallout 4 survival

Play the only game on the list you haven't played already + also its not that long

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Paladins is a shameless and disgusting attempt to cash in on overwatch.
The other two are Ok

Can someone explain this to me. Are people really willing to play a sub-par game for 200 hours for a $30 gain, even when it has pay to win aspects. I mean I get we like free poo poo, but it baffles me. Is it better in any way? Am I missing something

I remember seeing gameplay videos last year and rolling my eyes and what the hell people still talking about it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

MGSV is the best stealth-action game I've ever played and made most other third person games I've played since feel like total poo poo. It controls so so well.

This. MGSV is obviously polarizing for lots of people but the gameplay is unmatched. You could easily get 150+ hours of enjoyment from it and Ground Zeroes together if they click for you, but some people just felt it was same-y filler so your mileage may vary. It's one of my favorite games period.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Until Dawn's pretty cool so far, though I got a chuckle out of all the probably useless stats for each character. I like being able to see the percentage of people who took each action as they took them, too.

I'm such a coward. I'l play it a little bit at a time. Get half way through. And plow through it. This process will take a disappointingly long time.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
MGSV is weird because it was the exact opposite of the rest of the MGS games

They usually have slightly clunky gameplay, but with good stories and great attention to detail and lots of polish

MGSV has great gameplay, but with a garbage story and a very empty and barren open world, and it's also not even finished

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
MGSV's story is NOT garbage. It actually owns. It just is spread out over 50 hours which isn't great for pacing, and the ending is missing.

But yes, it's definitely different from previous game.

Except for Peace Walker, which it's very, very similar to.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The story in MGSV is very very not good. I'll give them a point in their favour though. Leaving out the ending was the right choice, because it was better off without the really bad Kingdom Of The Flies stuff

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
D-Walker was the true hero of MGSV.
It was like Johnny Five that you could ride like an ugly motorcycle. Its awesome when you can equip it with non-lethal poo poo. D-Walker does not build affection towards Big Boss but I got full hearts for D-Walker before I was done.

Also The Chemical Burger

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Freak Futanari posted:

The story in MGSV is very very not good. I'll give them a point in their favour though. Leaving out the ending was the right choice, because it was better off without the really bad Kingdom Of The Flies stuff

Yeah, I don't really understand the people who think that would make for a good conclusion to the fifty hours of this game. 46 serves as a decent enough tie-up to all the lore stuff while I actually really like 45 as a quiet character study that hits what I felt were the right emotional notes to walk away with -- it really earns the full credits & song close

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MGSV's story was definitely bad, and presented poorly, and front-loaded. The only good story bits aside from the opening mission are in audio recordings that you unlock after like 50 hours, and they're only cool if you're neck deep in series lore. Also -- fun fact -- it's the best game ever made

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is any of any MGS's story cool if you're not neck deep in the lore?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Snak posted:

Is any of any MGS's story cool if you're not neck deep in the lore?
The first two games can totally stand on their own

acksplode
May 17, 2004

At least 1 and 3 are cool as poo poo without needing to know prior games, 2 is a mindfuck either way but moreso if you've played 1.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I remember in some promo videos for Wildlands they talked about you being able to decide on whether you killed a target or planted evidence or something to have the cartels kill them, it was entirely up to you to decide.....

I platinumed the game, and don't recall that ever being an option. Did they remove it or did I just skip over it altogether?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess I kind of meant "lore so far", which in the case of 1 is just the lore found in that game plus a tiny bitnofnstuff from MG which is explained in the game..my point was that either you dig all the lore poo poo, or you don't. If you don't, you aren't gonna give a poo poo about any of the stories.

It thought MGSV had a great story, and most of it good parts of it stood alone. I actually thought it's ties to the stories of other games were the weakest parts of its story.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

freeranger posted:

I remember in some promo videos for Wildlands they talked about you being able to decide on whether you killed a target or planted evidence or something to have the cartels kill them, it was entirely up to you to decide.....

I platinumed the game, and don't recall that ever being an option. Did they remove it or did I just skip over it altogether?
It sure sounds like the kind of feature they would consider during development but ultimately ditch because after play testing they discovered 99% of players just wanted to shoot the bad guys until they are dead.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snak posted:

I guess I kind of meant "lore so far", which in the case of 1 is just the lore found in that game plus a tiny bitnofnstuff from MG which is explained in the game..my point was that either you dig all the lore poo poo, or you don't. If you don't, you aren't gonna give a poo poo about any of the stories.
Your point is wrong, though,

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I am really curious what Death Stranding ends up being. Hope it's as mechanically intricate as his best games. The wacko stories are fun, but not when they upstage stellar gameplay.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is Knack worth buying at 75% off?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

RE7 Madhouse
Fallout 4 survival

Persona 5

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Your point is wrong, though,

Okay.

I'm just saying that MGSV gave me exactly what I want in an MGS story. I think that it had pacing problems.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So uh, I bought a new HDD for my PS4 and all but it won't take? I'm getting CE-34335-8 if that helps any.

Like, I can't tell if the HDD is even in the right plugs and all, despite it being a Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation AND the same size as the old one. What do I do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Can someone explain this to me. Are people really willing to play a sub-par game for 200 hours for a $30 gain, even when it has pay to win aspects. I mean I get we like free poo poo, but it baffles me. Is it better in any way? Am I missing something

I remember seeing gameplay videos last year and rolling my eyes and what the hell people still talking about it

it's worth the $20 thing that unlocks all of the characters and you get enough free characters to have some fun with it if you don't think you'll play it much. mechanically it's a solid game with some unique elements and a fair amount of variety. it doesn't have the level of polish that a game like overwatch is capable of because money, but it's still pretty fun to play if that kind of game is your thing. is overwatch better? yea, I think so. but I'm sure there are people that find paladins more fun and more power to them

idk what you need explained to you here. a game doesn't have to be the best one for people to like it and some people like different things from you. what more do you need to know?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RatHat posted:

Is Knack worth buying at 75% off?

Knack will be PS+ next month. It has to be

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Snak posted:

Okay.

I'm just saying that MGSV gave me exactly what I want in an MGS story. I think that it had pacing problems.

It'd require it to have a story to give you what you wanted in it though? :confused:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It'd require it to have a story to give you what you wanted in it though? :confused:

If what you want in a MGS story is a sorta funny sideplot about hamburgers, told across a few audiotapes, that has more effort put into it than the main story, then you could indeed argue that MGSV might actually be the best video game story ever written.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

poo poo, you got me there.

Less shitpost-y though, honestly I could've been left happy with MGS2 ending everything right there. Weirdly prescient postmodernism with a touch of unexplained mystery and comedy is exactly what I want out of MGS, less grimacing and torture.

Though honestly I can't say I don't love all of 1-4. And Acid. And Ghost Babel too, why not.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

widespread posted:

So uh, I bought a new HDD for my PS4 and all but it won't take? I'm getting CE-34335-8 if that helps any.

Like, I can't tell if the HDD is even in the right plugs and all, despite it being a Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation AND the same size as the old one. What do I do.

What's the make/model of the drive?

Are you trying to use it internal or external?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's pretty clear that they took the complaints about mgs4 having too many cutscenes to heart because there are like 3 of them before the epilogue in mgsv

the way the story is presented and told is abysmal. there's some cool ideas in there, such as the final twist where it turns out the whole game is just trying to fix a plot hole in how big boss isn't dead in metal gear 2 but even there the execution loving sucks. you have to play the incredibly slow intro level again with no changes as the final mission of the game? what? why? and then the twist is just a short cutscene. that whole sequence could have been so much better. also, while they fixed the dumb way codec calls were handled previously, you still have to listen to them or else the story doesn't make any sense. also some of it was cut out of the game entirely, leaving plot threads dangling forever unless you look it up. it's a mess. I'm sure they could have made it into a compelling story but that's not what they did, at least imo

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Is the PS4 version of Tropico 5 significantly inferior to the PC version? I might get it down the road but my PC is not up to the task

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DoubleCakes posted:

Is the PS4 version of Tropico 5 significantly inferior to the PC version? I might get it down the road but my PC is not up to the task

people say good things about it. it was free in the last year on plus so you may already have it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's pretty clear that they took the complaints about mgs4 having too many cutscenes to heart because there are like 3 of them before the epilogue in mgsv

the way the story is presented and told is abysmal. there's some cool ideas in there, such as the final twist where it turns out the whole game is just trying to fix a plot hole in how big boss isn't dead in metal gear 2 but even there the execution loving sucks. you have to play the incredibly slow intro level again with no changes as the final mission of the game? what? why? and then the twist is just a short cutscene. that whole sequence could have been so much better. also, while they fixed the dumb way codec calls were handled previously, you still have to listen to them or else the story doesn't make any sense. also some of it was cut out of the game entirely, leaving plot threads dangling forever unless you look it up. it's a mess. I'm sure they could have made it into a compelling story but that's not what they did, at least imo

Yeah, actually playing 46 the way you have to do it was the most monotonous thing. It did make me realize how great of a choice The Man Who Sold the World as an opening theme was, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

metal gear solid 5 is gaming ambrosia. haters get fultoned to the brig