Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's a good book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Made in Abyss is neat. The world feels like Last Exile merged with a Team Ico project.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Cheer Fruits is Love Live but instead of idols it's toku stage shows, and it owns.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Ballroom felt like very, very by-the-book shonen with unusually high production quality. Seriously, I felt like I'd seen every single beat dozens of times before.

The main character of ballroom hasn't shown up yet and probably won't by the time the show ends.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

:worship: All Glory To Chinatsu! :worship:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Did nobody pick up Made in Abyss? How y'all watching it?
Want to simulwatch with a torrent-phobic friend.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wait, is ballroom a tournament show?

HellCopter posted:

Did nobody pick up Made in Abyss? How y'all watching it?
Want to simulwatch with a torrent-phobic friend.

anime strike has it.

quote:

1-16 of 147 results for Amazon Video : Anime Strike
Sort by

All Videos (147)
Included with Prime (0)

hah

kater fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 8, 2017

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

How would you do non-tournament sports

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

kater posted:

They do tournaments as part of their advancement in the scene but its all group floor stuff, like actual dance tournaments are.

More time is spent in their regular training than at tournies, except the tournies that have a lot of character moments in them.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

How would you do non-tournament sports

spend the entire season training for it without ever getting to it like a certain other sweaty sports show

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Ballroom felt like very, very by-the-book shonen with unusually high production quality. Seriously, I felt like I'd seen every single beat dozens of times before.

Yea but he touches girls in this one

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sharkopath posted:

The main character of ballroom hasn't shown up yet and probably won't by the time the show ends.

I think there's time to get to her

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ballroom fuckkkkking owns, I already like every character and I want to see them sports. Everyone is obnoxiously dramatic it's great!!!

I do wish that they would fully animate the dancing like it was Yuri on Ice or something but the more limited approach they took was pretty good, and the flubs were fantastic.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Coaaab posted:

I hope this anime stays great and gets a lot of seasons!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Coaaab posted:

They haven't credited any VA for them or shown any design sheets so that's why I think not.

Second season for sure.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Sharkopath posted:

They haven't credited any VA for them or shown any design sheets so that's why I think not.

Second season for sure.
I'm still hopeful that stuff will be teased for Fall

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Coaaab posted:

I'm still hopeful that stuff will be teased for Fall

Maybe the do the shot of him introducing himself to his new class as a dancer and her looking back?

That's the most you'd get.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm not sure I want to watch a sports anime that doesn't have at least 72 eps in the first season.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

Yea but he touches girls in this one

So it's not a sports anime then.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

chumbler posted:

So it's not a sports anime then.

this anime has girl touching and sports gay!! Ballroom is incredibly innovative.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Watched Saiyuki felt like I was back in the early 2000s, but with better animation and image quality. It's hard to describe, but they kept the goofiness of the other anime series and the style of exposition, but it just looks nicer. It's kind of good to have this series about angsty boys back again without the gonk looking faces (but who's to say it won't happen in future eps)

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Tsurezure Children is... good.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Wark Say posted:

Are they still making money off Evangelion? Wasn't the whole lawsuit with Anno/Studio Khara about Evangelion's IP?
gainax refuses to make money off eva tv/eoe in america. keep asking for those ludicrous licensing fees, we're gonna acquiesce!!

the lawsuit was because gainax borrowed money from anno and didnt pay it back by the agreed upon time

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I find it weird that no one mentioned that the setting of Made in Abyss is basically Etrian Odyssey.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Second season for sure.

There is a poster with her, with her face hilariously "hidden".

I think the first cour (12 eps) will be two parts: eps 1-6 will be the first training parts and presenting the characters, eps 7-12 will be the Mako arc.
In the second cour (12-24) Chinatsu will appear, though i don't know when they plan to end the season.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Manga reader here.

You know, when I read the first two volumes or so, I thought something similar. More exactly I thought:
'Why am I loving this so much??' In truth it's another shonen sport series. The MC is the typical shy, average, straight-laced protagonist with great will as redemption trait. There are training arcs and competition arcs, the usual. Hell, the first chapter with the tall guy who trains him and it's a pro reminds a lot to Hajime no Ippo start.'
It was hard to quantify why, even if clearly the series was very good.
The real reason is the author is incredibly talented. Not only the drawing is great, in a way that no anime can show (it's one of those cases like Takehiko Inue or Kentaro Miura), she also has a great talent playing with the strengths of black & white in particular, turning the limitation of manga in a virtue. Her panelling is very good, same with the flow between them, that's a feature that hard to quantify but you can feel it as it reads good and unless you have tons of experience with comic you are not sure why. Additionally she has a masterful knack for face expressions, with great range of variety, and conveying feelings and sentiments with them. They make the story feel more intense and 'hype'.
Also, while it starts in a very traditional way, later (spoilers?) it deepens in the character much more than your traditional sports series.

The problem here is that most of these virtues are strongly linked to the original author. We already know that the anime art style can't do justice to the manga, but that was expected, in exchange we will have animated dance sequences. We will have to see if Production IG is capable of doing justice to the manga, in general.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 8, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Made in Abyss is really pretty, seems like it's going to be a pretty rad adaptation. Reg's arm reeling back into place made a very satisfying clank.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hina Logi continues to be pretty great.

Ballroom was good, but I'm not the biggest fan of those character designs in motion, so I think I'll read the manga instead.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Altair. Like: gorgeous costume design, intrigue.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

I find it weird that no one mentioned that the setting of Made in Abyss is basically Etrian Odyssey.

because it isn't actually based on a game and is 100x more hosed up than etrian odyssey.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Relin posted:

gainax refuses to make money off eva tv/eoe in america. keep asking for those ludicrous licensing fees, we're gonna acquiesce!!

the lawsuit was because gainax borrowed money from anno and didnt pay it back by the agreed upon time
Oh. OK. Well that's a bummer.

chumbler posted:

But is she the best anime Subaru?
Nope.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Lemon-Lime posted:

Hina Logi continues to be pretty great.
I was skeptical but an extremely powerful dad won me over

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sindai posted:

I was skeptical but an extremely powerful dad won me over

Everything about the teachers is amazing, too.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
is the castlevania show worth watching at all

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Homura and Sickle posted:

Yes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

absolutely not

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Wark Say posted:

Oh. OK. Well that's a bummer.

Nope.

This is a Nanoha Strikers character, so she's a terrible Subaru, if not the worst.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Homura and Sickle posted:

maybe

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
im getting mixed signals here

made in abyss owns btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

because it isn't actually based on a game and is 100x more hosed up than etrian odyssey.

I didn't think it was based on a game, I just thought it was really interesting to have a story take that sort of gamey setting 100% seriously.

Although frankly Etrian Odyssey is pretty hosed up too if you ever stop to look at the details.

• Locked thread