Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I should've mentioned I don't particularly like Thai curries or coconut milk curries in general, so I won't be doing those. I really liked Isaan stuff when I was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The only Isaan dish I know and cook is Larb and I make the Laos/Cambodian version with fish sauce and lime juice rather than the Thai version. Still when I have time I could post the recipe for you tomorrow if you want.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes please, I love larb in all its forms.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Tell me about it. The first time I ordered larb I vaguely knew what it was, and when I got it I was like "Oh, so it's a salad. Of mostly meat." :getin:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I have decided my summer project is to learn some Thai food. Anyone have a good list/site for the staple pantry stock ingredients I need to track down?

he's shilling his stuff but you can learn a lot from watching the importfood.com channel on youtube. Dude's wife is thai and they go there a lot and he basically visits street vendors and backyard kitchens and films how they do things, every 10 sec or so reminding you that they sell x or y on their website. Regardless of the incessant reminders, it's super informative to see the techniques and ingredients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxWHEL9hfpY

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
for thai i like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?PailinsKitchen and Leela Punyaratabandhu blog shesimmers.com and cookbook

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

She would have to eat two cups of hummus to reach her daily maximum of 40g. That's a fair bit of hummus and veggies.

I'm kind of assuming she'll be eating other things during the day that will also contain fat.

It's not a big deal, I just thought I'd mention that while Houmous is great stuff, it's not the kind of thing you want to eat regularly if you're on an ultra-low fat diet.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bagheera posted:

Thanks for the advice on pork tenderloin. I have 6 of them in the freezer. I'll try the butterfly tomorrow.

Now I have a bigger problem: I invited two people to join my wife and I for dinner. My wife invited her boss, who then invited their co-workers, who then invited all their husbands. Instead of cooking for four people, I'll be cooking for thirteen people. I've never cooked for more than eight people in my life. Any tips?

Here's the menu:

all the food

I ended up in a similar situation a few years back for Thanksgiving - what was eight guests became 15. I was not Best Pleased, but I made it work.

I think your menu looks great! Seasonal and delicious. I usually make this Serious Eats version of ratatouille. I think it's best served hot, but warm wouldn't be bad. You might also look into caponata, which is usually served on bread at room temperature IIRC and has many of the same ingredients.

Let us know how it ends up! I'll be rooting for you.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can also keep stuff hot for much longer by wrapping it in foil, then a towel, and stuffing it into a cooler. Goons in the smoking thread report keeping meat hot for several hours this way.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Gerblyn posted:

I'm kind of assuming she'll be eating other things during the day that will also contain fat.

It's not a big deal, I just thought I'd mention that while Houmous is great stuff, it's not the kind of thing you want to eat regularly if you're on an ultra-low fat diet.

Haha, yeah, true. Sorry, thought you were being sassy. As I was as well ;p

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is pork shoulder an acceptable substitute for pork butt in roasts?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They are the same thing.

In pre-revolutionary New England and into the American Revolutionary War, New England butchers tended to take less prized cuts of pork like hams and shoulders and pack them into barrels for storage and transport, known as a butt. This particular shoulder cut became known around the country as a Boston specialty, and hence it became the "Boston butt."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hams are actually the butt of the pig

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That simplifies things.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I don't think i've ever seen a pork leg cut that wasn't already further processed as a rolled joint, or cured and smoked as a ham, until I processed my own pig. And then I promptly made my own ham anyway soooo...

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Grand Fromage posted:

OK, here's the larb recipe I use. All measures are in metric. Ingredient names are Aussie.
I make it with chicken but you can use any minced meat really like beef, pork or turkey.

To start with you need to make roasted rice powder.
If you can get Thai roasted chili powder then congratulations and use that (it's not easy to find outside Thailand!) more likely you'll need to use a mix of chili powder and chili flakes.
Place 1 tbsp of uncooked white or brown rice in a dry frying pan and heat over medium heat tossing it around until white rice has gone chalky white and light brown on the edges. Brown rice will begin to smell nutty and toasted when it's ready. Should take a couple of minutes. Then add a tsp of chili powder and a tsp of chili flakes and toss in the pan for about 30 seconds.
Obviously the amount and strength of chili powder and flakes used is going to determine how hot your larb ends up, You can use less of them, so adjust to your preference.
Don't stick your head over the pan as you've just made a chili bomb!
Put the rice and chili into a mortar and pestle and grind it to powder. Takes effort, but Thai food always involves a workout with a pestle and mortar!

Next heat a dry frying pan over high heat and put 1kg of chicken mince in with 1/2 cup water. Cook it through, breaking it up and stirring until it's cooked and ALL the moisture is evaporated. You'll have soggy larb otherwise. The meat shouldn't brown either. Takes about 10 minutes usually.

When your meat is ready put it in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup of fish sauce and 2tsp of caster sugar. Mix it all together and let it cool down .

When it's cool add in:
1/2 cup lime juice
1 red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
3 spring onions trimmed and finely chopped
1 cup of mint leaves, loosely torn up
2 cups of coriander (cilantro) leaves
and the roasted rice powder you made earlier.
Mix it all up and that's your Larb.

Serve it with the leaves of a baby cos lettuce, sliced Lebanese cucumber, trimmed raw green beans and sliced chillies.
I generally make some rice to go with it as well.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't think i've ever seen a pork leg cut that wasn't already further processed as a rolled joint, or cured and smoked as a ham, until I processed my own pig. And then I promptly made my own ham anyway soooo...

Huh? Fresh ham is a thing, I did one for Christmas dinner a few years back. Granted, I had to order it through the butcher, but it's not that unusual.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Helith posted:

OK, here's the larb recipe I use. All measures are in metric. Ingredient names are Aussie.
I make it with chicken but you can use any minced meat really like beef, pork or turkey.

To start with you need to make roasted rice powder.
If you can get Thai roasted chili powder then congratulations and use that (it's not easy to find outside Thailand!) more likely you'll need to use a mix of chili powder and chili flakes.
Place 1 tbsp of uncooked white or brown rice in a dry frying pan and heat over medium heat tossing it around until white rice has gone chalky white and light brown on the edges. Brown rice will begin to smell nutty and toasted when it's ready. Should take a couple of minutes. Then add a tsp of chili powder and a tsp of chili flakes and toss in the pan for about 30 seconds.
Obviously the amount and strength of chili powder and flakes used is going to determine how hot your larb ends up, You can use less of them, so adjust to your preference.
Don't stick your head over the pan as you've just made a chili bomb!
Put the rice and chili into a mortar and pestle and grind it to powder. Takes effort, but Thai food always involves a workout with a pestle and mortar!

Next heat a dry frying pan over high heat and put 1kg of chicken mince in with 1/2 cup water. Cook it through, breaking it up and stirring until it's cooked and ALL the moisture is evaporated. You'll have soggy larb otherwise. The meat shouldn't brown either. Takes about 10 minutes usually.

When your meat is ready put it in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup of fish sauce and 2tsp of caster sugar. Mix it all together and let it cool down .

When it's cool add in:
1/2 cup lime juice
1 red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
3 spring onions trimmed and finely chopped
1 cup of mint leaves, loosely torn up
2 cups of coriander (cilantro) leaves
and the roasted rice powder you made earlier.
Mix it all up and that's your Larb.

Serve it with the leaves of a baby cos lettuce, sliced Lebanese cucumber, trimmed raw green beans and sliced chillies.
I generally make some rice to go with it as well.

Good recipe. Thanks​! I didn't know about the raw green bean thing until I went to Thailand, but it's so good.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Two questions, both at least tangentally topical:

1) Between mole, thai, indian, and salsa I've decided I need a mortar and pestle in my life - but only one. Do I want a molcajete? a suribachi? the pharmaceutical sort (cheapest)? Shape? Material?

2) Speaking of larb, what about barg? I know they have nothing in common besides being weird rear end four letter words and meat dishes, but I'd like to get my persian chicken/beef kebab on and the internet's supply of Iranian mommy blogs seems lacking. Yogurt? Lemon Juice? Two days marinating? Saffron of some sort? I'd like to move on to kubideh but barg sounds like an easier place to start.

EDIT: I decided to try youtube right after posting this and the barg recipes are all in farsi. Is there another romanization of a name for persian style kebap that is more commonly used by english speakers?

EDIT2: One mommyblog is certainly a paucity.

moller fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 8, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

moller posted:

the internet's supply of Iranian mommy blogs seems lacking.

You mean apart from persianmama.com?

https://persianmama.com/kabob-koobideh-grilled-minced-meat-kabobs/

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

moller posted:

1) Between mole, thai, indian, and salsa I've decided I need a mortar and pestle in my life - but only one. Do I want a molcajete? a suribachi? the pharmaceutical sort (cheapest)? Shape? Material?

You want a mortar with a big rear end bowl, a rough surface, and a nice big pestle. The little tiny smooth ones are ok to have if you need to crush a very small amount of spices.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looking for some recipes for Bao, the big puffy kinds like these. Are they difficult to make from scratch? I've got a small steamer which I mainly use for rice so hopefully that's sufficient (even if I'd only be able to make 3-4 at a time in it).

At a local Sichuan place they have one particular kind I love listed as "Spicy Pork & Beef Steamed Bao", so something like that would be awesome. My wife also loves Azuki bean fillings. Anyone got some recipes for anything like these?

It's not that hard to make them. Just have make up the dough, knead, rest, roll out circles, fill, and seal! They freeze pretty well too, and need around 10 minutes of steaming.

Unfortunately I've lost the recipe I used to make them last time (something with tofu and kimchi? It was like 4 years ago) so I can't help you there.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I'm calculating that 1 cup of dried soybeans should translate into about 1000 calories when cooked. Is this accurate?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

CrazySalamander posted:

I'm calculating that 1 cup of dried soybeans should translate into about 1000 calories when cooked. Is this accurate?

Doesn't look like it:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4378/2

Unless you're cooking them in a way that increases the calorie load (i.e. you're adding oil)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm thinking of doing rum and lime marinaded shrimp kabobs for dinner.
Any thoughts on how long to marinade them?
I'm guessing about 2 hours? Maybe less? I want the rum flavor to infuse them, but I also don't want them to be like "Holy poo poo" or, to put them on the grill and go "Holy poo poo" when they explode into flame as a result.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
If you are using lime don't marinade for too long, the acid will quickly 'cook' them. At least that was my experience when I did that, the shrimp came out too dry and chewy. Someone else may correct me though, maybe I did something else wrong :shrug:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah, I understand the citric acid thing, I'm not looking to make ceviche.
I should have clarified that.
I want a strong rum flavor from soaking them in an otherwise relatively acid free base, I'm going to maybe use lime rinds/peels in the marinade and wedges on the side to squeeze on to them.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I'm wanting to make a bomb congee soon, and I'm thinking of doing it with a shrimp/seafood stock. Is there a tried and true recipe for this stock that goons would recommend?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Johnny Truant posted:

So I'm wanting to make a bomb congee soon, and I'm thinking of doing it with a shrimp/seafood stock. Is there a tried and true recipe for this stock that goons would recommend?

I do something close to this usually with a 1/2 a tablespoon of mustard seeds also.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2008/04/13/shrimp-stock-recipe/

Edit: although for congee you might want some ginger in there.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I don't have an alternate recipe to use but I've made that one before and the lemon flavor is overpowering, I would cut it down to a slice or two.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I make congee from mussels and snails when I've been down by the waterline, I just steam them up and use the stock to add to the congee water. A plain, strong fish stock with green onions and ginger in it plus maybe a little sprinkle of ground white pepper would be my ticket.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have two pork tenderloins I'm planning to grill tonight and serve with broccoli and rice. I need some ideas on how to prep them; they don't have long to marinate, so I'm thinking of either doing a plain salt and pepper seasoning or just rubbing them with my standard bbq rub and then grilling them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
both of those are good plans, sometimes i'll cook them with salt and pepper and serve with teriyaki sauce over rice

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
That's a good idea! I think I have some teriyaki too. Thanks!

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Mark Bittman has a curry powder and mustard paste in one of his cookbooks that has become my new favorite for pork tenderloin. I think it's online somewhere as well.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Veritek83 posted:

Mark Bittman has a curry powder and mustard paste in one of his cookbooks that has become my new favorite for pork tenderloin. I think it's online somewhere as well.

Does this sound about right:

quote:

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons curry powder, garam masala, or other spice mixture
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

From: http://www.epicureanbb.com/post/6789942546/grilled-or-broiled-pork-tenderloin-with-mustard

Which makes me think about using Berbere (an Ethiopian spice blend) instead of the garam masala... I might do one regular (salt + pep) and one masala or berbere style. Hmm.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

QuarkMartial posted:

From: http://www.epicureanbb.com/post/6789942546/grilled-or-broiled-pork-tenderloin-with-mustard

Which makes me think about using Berbere (an Ethiopian spice blend) instead of the garam masala... I might do one regular (salt + pep) and one masala or berbere style. Hmm.

Yes! That's exactly one of the things I like about it- it was the first time I saw someone doing "spice mix + mustard" and really once you think about it that way, you can experiment a ton.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

QuarkMartial posted:

Do it, pork tenderloin is great for experimenting with flavors.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So this is what's marinating now:
I took a half cup olive oil, tbsp is of garlic, and a dice onion. Sauteed them for a minute or two to soften the onion, added a tbsp of berbere (added more at the end), and a quarter cup of lemon juice. Processed to a puree in the food processor and it tastes amazing. I added more berbere because that was too much lemon juice, if I did it again, I might only use 3tbsp. Still, it's got a good citrusy spicy smokey flavor that I'm excited about.

E: Here's the results:

Delicious!

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

How do you guys do homemade chicken broth?