Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

Gurm is working on exactly one book and its title is Wild Cards.

I only know one book in the store whose name is Wild Cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Lycus posted:

If we're lucky, we'll have two crappy and unsatisfying conclusions.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Holy poo poo the Jon baby scene wasn't complicated. It's ridiculously obvious, in fact.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

100% of my show-only friends have no idea who Jon's father is.

They cast a lady who looks exactly like Emilie Clarke as the mother so they thought the scene was supposed to reveal that Jon and Dany were twins or something.

All of mine mostly had it worked out before the show made it blatantly obvious.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are we doing a GoT fantasy league this year like last year? If there's any interest I'll create one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zotix posted:

Are we doing a GoT fantasy league this year like last year? If there's any interest I'll create one.

Explain.

edit:

And if we get to like pick characters then I call....The Kettleblacks. :smug:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Can anybody explain to me why anybody is still personally invested in this show?

I'm down for a fantasy league, whatever that means. Even Gendry has the odds over the loving Jets.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Can anybody explain to me why anybody is still personally invested in this show?

I'm down for a fantasy league, whatever that means. Even Gendry has the odds over the loving Jets.

Hate watching mostly.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Hate watching mostly.

You'd be surprised, and it's a disappointing thing to have to realize about humanity.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

I just want the ending, which should be posted ITT in the next 9ish months

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

You'd be surprised, and it's a disappointing thing to have to realize about humanity.

Oh I thought you were referring to this thread.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
The show isn't that bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The show is still reasonably impressive as a production. If you'd told me even five years ago I'd ever see CG of that quality on TV, I'd have been pretty skeptical to say the least. But narratively it's middling to dogshit and has lost all respect for or faith in its audience.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

drunken officeparty posted:

Did Ned say "I am here, SISTER OF MINE THAT IS DEAD IN THE CURRENT TIMELINE" in the tower scene? If not I can see people not even knowing who she was and think Ned is just raising some random baby as his.

How am I supposed to hear those lines when I got shitposting on TVIV to do?

[quote="IRQ" post=""474140779"]
All of mine mostly had it worked out before the show made it blatantly obvious.
[/quote]

My sister spent years thinking that Robert and Lyanna were Jon's parents and easily transitioned to Rhaegar after ToJ. Lots of show people didn't have trouble with it.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 8, 2017

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

skasion posted:

The show is still reasonably impressive as a production. If you'd told me even five years ago I'd ever see CG of that quality on TV, I'd have been pretty skeptical to say the least. But narratively it's middling to dogshit and has lost all respect for or faith in its audience.

I've been watching sg-1 since a few days ago and the amount of effort that goes into a cable movie network (HBO/Showtime) show since the early 2000s is insane. The ambition is there but the financial backing isn't.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

maniacripper posted:

The show isn't that bad.

Nah it just has the same problem as the books: the beginning was so loving good and it did not stay that way (though as far as the books are concerned ADWD was genuinely Bad)

The latest season was an improvement over the previous, but the series as a whole peaked before the halfway point.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hate watching is real fun but sometimes the show does legitimately surprising things like last years man crush or the finale's twenty minute Cersei music video.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Eight years ago I read a book I liked, called A Storm of Swords. It doesn't have a definitive ending, and I'd like to see how it plays out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

Dibs on the littlest Mormont.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mkay0 posted:

Eight years ago I read a book I liked, called A Storm of Swords. It doesn't have a definitive ending, and I'd like to see how it plays out.

I gave that up around the same time I gave up the bad pussy.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Okay league is up

http://fantasora.com/league/723/join?passcode=whitewalkerswin

Draft is Monday night 6pm. Unsure of timezone, as I did it hastily on my phone. I'm sure it says on the website once you create your team.

If you need to type in the password at some point its: whitewalkerswin

Zotix fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 8, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

maniacripper posted:

The show isn't that bad.

I've watched and enjoyed far worse, but this show has the problem of following 3 books I really genuinely enjoyed, and then seventeen years of hot bullshit from its author who has managed in that time to release 1.5 bad books where nothing happens except people making GBS threads themselves.

People still think Dany's name is khaleesi, it's no wonder they're still fully on board with this show. I have a friend, who has read the books even, that will argue with literally any criticism of the show or the books. It's amazing.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

IRQ posted:

People still think Dany's name is Kelly C, it's no wonder they're still fully on board with this show.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Zotix posted:

Okay league is up

http://fantasora.com/league/723/join?passcode=whitewalkerswin

Draft is Monday night 6pm. Unsure of timezone, as I did it hastily on my phone.

It's 6:00pm eastern.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

probably the best game of thrones bar trivia I ever played was when it had a match the tits round.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

I've watched and enjoyed far worse, but this show has the problem of following 3 books I really genuinely enjoyed, and then seventeen years of hot bullshit from its author who has managed in that time to release 1.5 bad books where nothing happens except people making GBS threads themselves.

Well it's always good to draw on your own life experiences to give your writing some grounding.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In a vacuum the show isn't awful but its sad to see how far its fallen from how great it was from Seasons 1-4.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In a vacuum the show isn't awful but its sad to see how far its fallen from how great it was from Seasons 1-4.

It sure is. I completely forgot what happened in season 6 so I started rewatching from the beginning.

I'm up to the Red Wedding and watching those 3 seasons reminded me why I liked the show

E: \/ I disagree. The scene where Dany fucks the Masters in Astapor is absolutely fantastic. Jaime/Brienne and Hound/Arya are good arcs in the show.

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 8, 2017

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Season 1 is great but the rest of the run is basically "we know we're not gonna hit the same heights anymore so we're just going to kill protagonists every few episodes".

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I try to argue with friends about how lovely the show has gotten, and they ask me for examples. I give them plenty and they fall back on the "you're dumb for thinking a show can follow the books in entirety," despite the fact I concede that that is impossible, that the show has periodically done things better, and that the changes they institute would cost literally nothing to keep the same as the books.

It's maddening.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm almost positive GRRM promised HBO that he'd be wrapping up the books right about now and instead he's loving around and doing literally anything but that. Maybe it's just me but if even Winds of Winter had been released in a reasonable timeframe I think seasons 4 & 5 might not have felt so meandering as they would have had a better idea on what storylines were most important, but I suppose that's on HBO for making a show about a book series that wasn't finished. I haven't rewatched it but I remember enjoying season 6 more than 5 and I'm hopeful that being free of waiting for the actual text to drop means the last 2 seasons will be much improved. I guess we'll find out starting in a week :shrug:

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Trivia posted:

I try to argue with friends about how lovely the show has gotten, and they ask me for examples. I give them plenty and they fall back on the "you're dumb for thinking a show can follow the books in entirety," despite the fact I concede that that is impossible, that the show has periodically done things better, and that the changes they institute would cost literally nothing to keep the same as the books.

It's maddening.

Almost as maddening as complaining about every little thing the show does. Right?

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I watch this show cuz everybody who works on it outside the writers room is really good at what they do and it makes for entertaining tv

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Maybe 1/4 to a half of the actors suck just as much as the writers.

Can't complain about like the set designers and cgi guys though they gucci

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Maybe 1/4 to a half of the actors suck just as much as the writers.

Can't complain about like the set designers and cgi guys though they gucci

Also whoever is the tits scout for the show is doing a top notch job

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah whoever is in charge of the tits is doing an A+ job.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harton posted:

Yeah whoever is in charge of the tits is doing an A+ job.

I'm sure the same talent team worked on Westworld.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I swear I've seen an interview where someone said there's an HBO executive who writes requests for tits into the scripts.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I swear I've seen an interview where someone said there's an HBO executive who writes requests for tits into the scripts.

There's a gimmick AV Club commenter called "HBO CEO of Tits" who posts on every game of thrones review they've done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Super Deuce posted:

Almost as maddening as complaining about every little thing the show does. Right?

Yes, if I did that.

• Locked thread