Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Her name isn't Goku.

What if she has a good fight WITH Goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I still have 'Great scientist Bardock' ingrained in my head from watching the old dub on Cartoonnetwork.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
He was great at the science of planetary extermination.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Here's a question: if Gine wasn't part of the fighting force, why did she still wear armor? Saiyan culture may revolve around combat, but was there really no casualwear?

Fighting gear is totally saiyan anytime wear it comes up in Super with Vegeta and Goku. But most of these pics are amazing.

Monaghan posted:

I'm fine with Gine, but the story she's in bugs me, since I find the story of bardock ova to be way more interesting. Bardock's better when he's clearly a selfish rear end in a top hat, not some superhero that they later tried to turn him in to.

I just can't see him having a nice family life with Gine.

The thing that gets me isn't so much the Gine thing but how all the other saiyans liked him. Like if he had a small squad he was cool with I'd be like eh ok but no everyone's like hey Bardock you're the bestest

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Monaghan posted:

I know and I think whoever wrote story of bardock had a better take on bardock than toriyama did :shrug:.

Now I'm wondering if Episode of Bardock is more Toriyama or less. On one hand it's exactly the kind of "Why the hell not" thing he'd write, but on the other it's such a blatant cash grab that it doesn't feel like he'd do something so lifeless. I still love how stupid that special is though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thanks to who recommended Sword Art Online Abridged. You weren't kidding that it rivaled Team Four Star, I really enjoyed that, and I liked the angle of including broken people in a game genre I like and liked, MMOs.

If you enjoy Team Four Star's DBZ Abridged, I recommend Sword Art Online Abridged, some anime i have never heard of outside of knowing it's about an MMO, because if people who want to make a different story care about it enough, they can make an intellectual property worth looking at.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 8, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Momomo posted:

Now I'm wondering if Episode of Bardock is more Toriyama or less. On one hand it's exactly the kind of "Why the hell not" thing he'd write, but on the other it's such a blatant cash grab that it doesn't feel like he'd do something so lifeless. I still love how stupid that special is though.

There's no indication he did anything on Episode of Bardock beyond designing Chilled.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Momomo posted:

You mean that THAT isn't a "what if" DBZ scenario, like Yamcha's reincarnated "what if" screwing everything up in the japanese comics?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I got the impression it was canon

But is that anniversary special with Tarble canon?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bardock special is/was canon (Jaco kind of rewrote it a bit), but the second Bardock thing with the time travel and SSJ Bardock was made for Dragonball Heroes and is only really canon to the video game extended universe stuff. Which is not canon

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Fargin Icehole posted:

You mean that THAT isn't a "what if" DBZ scenario, like Yamcha's reincarnated "what if" screwing everything up in the japanese comics?

It still loving amazes me that that thing exists.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is a blatant piece of self insert fanfiction and has no right to be as good as it is.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TrilliontonNixon posted:

It is a blatant piece of self insert fanfiction and has no right to be as good as it is.

I know, right? The premise is the same idea a kid has when writing their fanfic in the 3rd grade. "If I were "X" character, I could do so much with my outside knowledge of the series." I'm amazed it is professionally published.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kelp Plankton posted:

Bardock special is/was canon (Jaco kind of rewrote it a bit), but the second Bardock thing with the time travel and SSJ Bardock was made for Dragonball Heroes and is only really canon to the video game extended universe stuff. Which is not canon

Honestly, the whole Bardock thing is on a weird semi-canon at this point, at least for Super. Super takes Kai as canon (keeping anime changes such as Gregory and Satan's students but overall removing filler and not counting the movies), which would make Bardock: Father of Goku canon to it (as its events are shown at the very beginning of Kai), however it also takes Jaco the Galactic Patrolman as canon (as Jaco himself appears, as does Tights), which would hint that Dragon Ball Minus is canon (as its events happen simultaneously, and in the same publication as, Jaco).

So basically...Bardock is and is not a good family man, who has and does not have psychic powers, but he never became a Super Saiyan.

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I dunno. Self-insert fanfiction would create a new protagonist that is blatantly the writer, or maybe would have them take over their favourite character. No one in their right mind would insert themselves as Yamcha. Even the protagonist points out that he could've been Goku or Vegeta, but no, he had to be Yamcha.

The manga works entirely because our protagonist is dealt a terrible hand from the beginning, and has to use the resources he does have to make his forced loss as painless as possible. Because no matter what, that's still Yamcha.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Covok posted:

I know, right? The premise is the same idea a kid has when writing their fanfic in the 3rd grade. "If I were "X" character, I could do so much with my outside knowledge of the series." I'm amazed it is professionally published.

I mean its, bud it';ike to hear it from the best microfkr talk session

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

I dunno. Self-insert fanfiction would create a new protagonist that is blatantly the writer, or maybe would have them take over their favourite character. No one in their right mind would insert themselves as Yamcha. Even the protagonist points out that he could've been Goku or Vegeta, but no, he had to be Yamcha.

The manga works entirely because our protagonist is dealt a terrible hand from the beginning, and has to use the resources he does have to make his forced loss as painless as possible. Because no matter what, that's still Yamcha.

Yeah, my favorite thing about the story so far is how he starts off with fantasies of Bulma becoming his girlfriend, but then has to give that up because he can't bring himself to kill Vegeta.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dr.acula posted:

I got the impression it was canon

But is that anniversary special with Tarble canon?

yes, its referenced in BoG to get another Saiyan.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Yeah, my favorite thing about the story so far is how he starts off with fantasies of Bulma becoming his girlfriend, but then has to give that up because he can't bring himself to kill Vegeta.

Well, the protagonist knows Lunch will dissapear from the face of the Earth at one point. If he prevents it, he got himself two waifus.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kild posted:

yes, its referenced in BoG to get another Saiyan.
IIRC this line is not in Super's adaptation of BoG though, putting Tarble in a weird gray area.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The next arc of super is going to introduce Tarble and inexplicably he's got Raditz and Nappa with him

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hot take. The 25th world martial arts tournament played straight would have been better than the Buu saga.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Hot take. The 25th world martial arts tournament played straight would have been better than the Buu saga.

So a bunch of nothing until Goku vs Vegeta which happens anyway?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kild posted:

So a bunch of nothing until Goku vs Vegeta which happens anyway?

The match I always wanted to see was Gohan/Vegeta.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is true. The Goku vs Vegeta fight was the real climax and driving force of that arc anyway.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
A lot of good fighting this episode. Goku and Vegeta actually used teamwork!

Also called it, Angels are up to something.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

VanSandman posted:

The match I always wanted to see was Gohan/Vegeta.

Narratively it probably would've been a Gohan/Goku fight where Goku also goes SSJ2 to beat Gohan which triggers Vegeta.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Since the Z Fighters blow other Earthlings out of the water, it would've been interesting if they had moved up to an intergalactic tournament between the WMAT and the Tournament of Power. Then you could use some of Babidi's henchmen.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

StrifeHira posted:

A lot of good fighting this episode. Goku and Vegeta actually used teamwork!

Also called it, Angels are up to something.

The question now is how much is Whis involved.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Trio De Dangers went full Black Tri-Stars this episode.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mojito smiling doesn't neccessarily have to do with him having a plan.

Wouldn't you smile if you didn't have to deal with Rou and Sidra anymore?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like to think that the Universe 9 angel isn't up to anything, he just hates Universe 9 so much that it being erased is a sweet release from having to tend over it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TheHan posted:

I like to think that the Universe 9 angel isn't up to anything, he just hates Universe 9 so much that it being erased is a sweet release from having to tend over it.

"I'm free."

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope it comes out in the end that Zeno is just recreating the bad universes and moving everyone to them and there is no malicious plan by the angels.

Man Universe 9, when you can describe the whole universe as a garbage dump you really do have some problems.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So they're absolutely backpedaling on the universal erasure after this tourney right?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
poo poo was hosed up! Bye bye U9

On the next episode preview 18 is using sunglasses at one point. This means Solar Flare x100.

Also Frost may be the one that knocks Krillin out. Frieza race just hates baldies

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The first time he did something it was trembling in anger about Sidra and the Trio De Dangers inability to gather fighters. Likely he just hated Sidra and Rou.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also comedy on this episode was top quality with the Old Kai getting tired of the lame skill naming and the acknowledgement of Vegeta's big forehead.

Between the comedy and the fighting they built a good contrast to the mood whiplash at the end of the episode.

Super is GOOD.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm just glad Freeza's having fun. That guy's had it rough lately so it's good to see him enjoying himself. :unsmith:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Junpei Hyde posted:

So they're absolutely backpedaling on the universal erasure after this tourney right?

Remember that Future Trunks doesn't have a universe anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I'm just glad Freeza's having fun. That guy's had it rough lately so it's good to see him enjoying himself. :unsmith:

:yeah:

Goku's death glare towards Daishinkan/the Zenos' palace may be hinting that he is still working on his deicide plan.

The way the U9 team got phased out looked a bit like teleportation. Maybe the twist will be that all loser universes get moved together into one super loser universe so that they work to get their poo poo together

• Locked thread