Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Just milling around after FNM and the local LGS only has 34 for pre-release when it usually pushes into the high 60's/low 70's

General consensus is this set is boring and nobody is interested in playing it. Haven't seen this much of a lack of interest in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
16 here for pre-release and I opened an Invocation Omniscience. This is all I could ask for from a pre release.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I disallowed my opponents Evolving Wilds crack on turn three leaving them with just one land in play. Best feeling ever.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mezzanon posted:

Wait it costs money? I just thought it was a secret boys club where we pat eachother on the back and say the holocaust didn't happen

Edit: Goons please sponsor my membership in this elite training.

obviously we need an mtg thread patreon so we can afford to send one goon a month to travis woo wake up sheeple training

Listerine Hangover
Aug 5, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

courtesy of my lgs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Don't like the connotation

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Listerine Hangover posted:

courtesy of my lgs

:sever:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Don't like the connotation
Does it sting, claw at you, make you want to squat out a 5/4 for 2 mana then take a break, etc?

Veyrall posted:

This guy gets it
Feels like there's room in the block to do it. We don't know much about the set, really, could be more variety in the uncommons.

The next set could get back to end block sets actually being exciting pushed versions of mechanics. Be a nice chance to do some wacky wedge legends. Then again, cat tribal.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
A shaggy dog story about my local game shop, how WOTC absolutely thunderfucked them, and a Google Maps conundrum/easter egg:

TL;DR: Some cheeky loving bastard went onto google maps and labeled the old Legion Games location as "Misty Mountain" and marked it "Permanently closed" on google maps.

So the closest game store to me for the last 10 years or so started off as "Misty Mountain Games North" (in 2006) and was run by Steve Port, aka "Legion Events". June 2011, the stripmall Misty Mountain was in was scheduled for destruction to put up some fancy-schmancy rental apartments, so he relocated the store a thousand feet northwest onto the main highway and rebranded it Legion Games . He started up Legion Supplies, which you are all familiar with, in the back warehouse. Sometime in early 2015 Steve announced he decided to sell the game store to a local chain so he could concentrate on hosting GPs. After he sold the game store he did business out the back warehouse for a while, then...

Middle of 2015 WOTC said gently caress you for competing with Ultra PRO dropped Legion Events and handed the region's GPs over to Pastimes, a move exactly 0 people were publicly happy about.

Dreamers games moved next door in their strip mall and continued to use the Legion branding. Legion rented new warehouse space.

So anyways. The local chain that purchased the game store, Dreamer's Vault, has used the Legion Games branding on the store and website since 2015. They finally left the old Legion Games branded store in February 2017 and now have a Dreamer's Vault branded location a few miles away in a different strip mall.

The original Legion game shop is a Harbor Freight now. The lingerie and sex toy shop Legion Games shared an entrance (and bathroom) with got it's own entrance now that Harbor Freight moved in.

Some cheeky loving bastard went onto google maps and labeled the old Legion Games location as "Misty Mountain" and marked it "Permanently closed" on google maps.

I'm trying to suggest edits to fix the map, but I'm not sure how or if I even want to.You can't rename a place that's already marked "Permanently closed" without first making an edit that suggests it's not permanently closed. There's no "correct the name of a business that's permanently closed" button. I can't say the business moved because Legion Supplies moved just around the corner but the game shop, now owned by different people entirely, moved to a different place a few miles away.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Dehtraen posted:

I disallowed my opponents Evolving Wilds crack on turn three leaving them with just one land in play. Best feeling ever.

Used a Aven Minsdcensor to stop a Evolving Wilds trigger, top 4 cards where a bust, can't beat silly crap like that in limited.

So far we have 42 players and the format is fairly slow, tons of games going to time.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went 0-1 drop at the midnight release. Opened a bad pool and also my cat died. This is the worst pre-release ever.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Balon posted:

16 here for pre-release and I opened an Invocation Omniscience. This is all I could ask for from a pre release.

2-1 for 3rd place. Not a single mythic in our pool but did have glorybringer, neheb, and a torment of hailfire (cast off of neheb ofc).

Lost to a Bolas and mana screw. Womp womp. Still got my invocation - gonna try to offload it and build another modern deck!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mezzanon posted:

Went 0-1 drop at the midnight release. Opened a bad pool and also my cat died. This is the worst pre-release ever.

Well take it to a taxidermist, hopefully you'll get it back as a 4/4 double striker rather than a 1/1 lifelinker.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Imminent Doom is a beast in limited, that card single handedly beat me two games in a row.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rythe posted:

Imminent Doom is a beast in limited, that card single handedly beat me two games in a row.

Seriously? It seems pretty difficult to have enough one drops to consistently activate that card.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

That's what I thought but every game he is able to use the 1 cost enchantments and then after that it is machine gun damage time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Torment of Scarabs has been beating me in so many games. But I got a foil Scorpion God so I can't complain.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Took 5th out of 42 players, Glorybringer is still a beast and I have never lost a game with him out especially backed by 10 removal spells and flying angels. I Won a Ultra Pro Force of Will play mat and a bunch of packs to crack with my daughter later. Over all I love the limited environment with this block, very fun.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

went 4-0 tonight, 8-2 overall. ran WG midrange, focusing on exert and working around it with dauntless aven. splashed R for trial of zeal, emberhorn minotaur, and the R/W creature that drains when my creatures exert. that 7 drop wurm is the real deal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

3–2 with UR evasion, with Samut in it. It was okay when I got to play on curve.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Went to my second ever prerelease tonight (the first being Champions of Kamigawa way back when). Pulled Nicol-Bolas and prerelease foil Samut planewalkers from my box and Razaketh from one of my two bonus boosters. 10/10 would pay $30NZ to go 2-2 and walk away with easily double that worth of cards again. Also everyone was chill and I had fun

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 8, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

Condolences on the kitty. :(

You'll get no pity for the bad sealed pool though; I'm the master of bad sealed pools.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

MisterOblivious posted:

A shaggy dog story about my local game shop, how WOTC absolutely thunderfucked them, and a Google Maps conundrum/easter egg:

TL;DR: Some cheeky loving bastard went onto google maps and labeled the old Legion Games location as "Misty Mountain" and marked it "Permanently closed" on google maps.

Contact google. This is something they can (and should!) fix on the back end.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

destroyed my midnight prerelease due to ridiculous luck: opened Bontu, Scorpion god, god-pharaoh's gift, mystic myriarch.

That and some decent green beaters and some removal (splashing red for scorp god and open fire) made sure none of the games were even remotely closed.

First match, I turn 4 scorp god off of gift of paradise, opponent just scoops. Feels good man.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Drew in the first round of my prerelease, then me and my first round opponent both won out, screwing up the top 8 math for everyone. His 9 year old son was there at his first prerelease and took top 16. Format seems grindier, but the top tables were mostly pretty aggressive deck. I personally was on a pretty vicious RG beatdown deck featuring 7 2-drops (earthshaker kenra and rhonas last stand) 6 3-drops and a pair of open fires and that red -1/-1 counter/2-to-the-dome spell gave me some reach (2 games won off the red sac desert, too)

For the first time I'm not really super excited to draft a set, though. I don't feel like this has enough flavor and mechanic wise that really differentiates it from Amonkhet. Aether Revolt, for example, added improvise which completely changed the way you would evaluate cards; I could see that and predict that would be fun to try out. Afflict seems great, but not the sort of shenanigans-encouraging mechanic that excites me. Eternalize plays a lot like embalm (though one that discourages killing it) and desert tribal doesn't pump me up. I liked the way it plays, but nothing really grabbed me either. But we'll see on Monday how draft feels.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Yeah I'm not even worried about going to be today. Set looks boring and I already ordered every card i want.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

The next set could get back to end block sets actually being exciting pushed versions of mechanics. Be a nice chance to do some wacky wedge legends. Then again, cat tribal.
Reminder that the last two blocks saw mechanics pushed straight into the ban bin. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished my first prerelease. Lord, this set is poo poo, value wise. Went 3-1 with a B/G transform into B/W against more aggressive decks. Most expensive pull was promo stamped Bontu's Wanna-Wrath.

The white cards were kind of thin on creatures but has lots of tricks plus Dusk//Dawn AND the new reduced cost Planar Cleansing.

MVP was Nest of Scarabs. That with the new Bamut and the new 3 mana 2/2 that puts a counter on a guy is super cool. And just curving that into the 4 drop Gator that gets deathtouch and vigilance when someone has a counter made a couple people mad.

Lost against a G/U/b eternalize deck that was able to just out value me.

Note: The five drop 4/4 with vigilance and reach is better than it looks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Condolences on the kitty. :(

You'll get no pity for the bad sealed pool though; I'm the master of bad sealed pools.

I'm usually pretty good at it too but I was pretty frazzled

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Got a foil endless sands and the centre of the card art is basically just a mirror

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

AlternateNu posted:

Note: The five drop 4/4 with vigilance and reach is better than it looks.

It was really good back when it was Sentinel Spider, so I'm not surprised it's got a home. Especially with a splashier mana cost.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Wurzag posted:

Got a foil endless sands and the centre of the card art is basically just a mirror
See? Fun AND practical!

But no lie, I might order a foil endless now just to see that for myself

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My goodness, people weren't kidding about this set having gently caress-all for value. I thought $9 for The Scarab God was a little underwhelming but it's actually the second most expensive single.

Yes, that does mean Bolas is the only card in the set that breaks $10.

EDIT: Hour of Devastation preorders are narrowly beating out famously valuable BFZ block's current single prices, and that's with rotation beginning to loom on the horizon and Gideon at an all-time low.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 8, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Voyager I posted:

My goodness, people weren't kidding about this set having gently caress-all for value. I thought $9 for The Scarab God was a little underwhelming but it's actually the second most expensive single.

Yes, that does mean Bolas is the only card in the set that breaks $10.

EDIT: Hour of Devastation preorders are narrowly beating out famously valuable BFZ block's current single prices, and that's with rotation beginning to loom on the horizon and Gideon at an all-time low.

I pre-ordered all the cards I was interested in and it came out to 11.53. Some of that was the b/w zombie I was reall only partially interested in.

I think some rares and uncommons are going to creep up in value due to the how few packs are going to be opened. Abrade seems like an uncommon that is going to be 2 bucks before too long. I got a playset for .80. This set is giving me m15 vibes that anything that is going to be playable is going to end up expensive due to have few of them are going to end up in that category.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 8, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm in the middle of a game against an opponent that got Stifle and Capsize in his kit. Yes, it was verified that he opened them. No, I am not having fun.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nicol Bolas is not that good in sealed

At least I cast him twice

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Star Man posted:

I'm in the middle of a game against an opponent that got Stifle and Capsize in his kit. Yes, it was verified that he opened them. No, I am not having fun.

DQ for using electronic device during a sanctioned match

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I beat the double-Invocation deck 2-0. Yeesh.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

My sealed pool sucked and o dropped but at least I only paid $20 for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh look, now it's round two against someone that opened a Samut and Gideon.