Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
In case people think edgy, tryhard poo poo like Reborn is an oddity in Pokemon Fangames

No, people still don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
In fairness, edgy, tryhard poo poo is basically the norm for fanfiction in general, so it's not surprising that "fanfiction, but a game" follows the pattern.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EclecticTastes posted:

In fairness, edgy, tryhard poo poo is basically the norm for fanfiction in general

Where's that drat fourth chaos emerald?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
For some weird reason it's really hard to take a story seriously when it contains the line "dozens of Gengars using Focus Blasts."

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I've been trying to think of how you could possibly make a "darker" Pokemon game, without going super grimdark, and I wonder if you could do like a private investigator thing. You play a private eye, you go around solving crimes (cartoony in a bunch of ways, but still things like assault, robberies, kidnappings, etc), your Pokemon are chosen less for combat, and more for their various skills at helping you examine crime scenes and such. You're an adult, maybe you have to pay upkeep for your business, you can hunt Pokemon between your cases but your goal isn't to catch them all, it's important for you to train them to aid your cases, etc etc.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Sindai posted:

For some weird reason it's really hard to take a story seriously when it contains the line "dozens of Gengars using Focus Blasts."

Just decrease their accuracy, those focus blasts won't be hitting jack poo poo

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

I've been trying to think of how you could possibly make a "darker" Pokemon game, without going super grimdark, and I wonder if you could do like a private investigator thing. You play a private eye, you go around solving crimes (cartoony in a bunch of ways, but still things like assault, robberies, kidnappings, etc), your Pokemon are chosen less for combat, and more for their various skills at helping you examine crime scenes and such. You're an adult, maybe you have to pay upkeep for your business, you can hunt Pokemon between your cases but your goal isn't to catch them all, it's important for you to train them to aid your cases, etc etc.

Apparently Nintendo had the same idea.

Anyway, I thought the Mystery Dungeon games were pretty good plot-wise - darker than regular Pokemon, but written reasonably well and not too grimdark.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
I realise that Absolute Virtue was a while ago (I've been in the country with no internet) but something that needs to be mentioned is uh, AV shares a lot of similarities with a 'raid boss' in the backstory of .Hack - you know how Balmung of the Azure Sky and Orca of the Azure Sea have those fancy titles? They got them by teaming up to take down this boss (like AV, it had a gimmick where you had to counter it cyclically, and it was best fought with two players instead of the maximum 3 in order to minimize lag time and potential mixups when executing the counter), and I'm pretty sure this thing came first.

So AV which is the punchline to basically any and all unkillable superbosses, is apparently based on a boss (there are more similarities than just the gimmick, I am massively skimming here) who is only notable because it died to two guys who are a big deal.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inadequately posted:

Anyway, I thought the Mystery Dungeon games were pretty good plot-wise - darker than regular Pokemon, but written reasonably well and not too grimdark.

Didn't the second set of Mystery Dungeon games have things like someone building up your trust the entire game, just to stab you in the back, the complete destruction of time, and someone encouraging the main character to commit suicide? I mean, just saying, if done properly, you can get dark as gently caress, and still be an entertaining story that fits in with pokemon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Detective Pokachu never got a US release, but apparently Legendary Pictures is trying to make a Live Action film based off of it.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Randalor posted:

Didn't the second set of Mystery Dungeon games have things like someone building up your trust the entire game, just to stab you in the back, the complete destruction of time, and someone encouraging the main character to commit suicide? I mean, just saying, if done properly, you can get dark as gently caress, and still be an entertaining story that fits in with pokemon.

You just need all your taskmasters, allies, popcorn grunts, and townie NPCs to be goofy and/or pathetic? :p

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Xelkelvos posted:

Detective Pokachu never got a US release, but apparently Legendary Pictures is trying to make a Live Action film based off of it.

Fantastic Pokemon and Where to Find Them?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

A few years back I found a copy of Explorers of Darkness lying around somewhere, and when I started playing it had a really good idea: pick Torchic as your starter and name it JoJo.

I called it Torchic's Bizarre Adventure and it had no right to be as hilarious as it was to go through.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 9, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ace of Aces posted:

I realise that Absolute Virtue was a while ago (I've been in the country with no internet) but something that needs to be mentioned is uh, AV shares a lot of similarities with a 'raid boss' in the backstory of .Hack - you know how Balmung of the Azure Sky and Orca of the Azure Sea have those fancy titles? They got them by teaming up to take down this boss (like AV, it had a gimmick where you had to counter it cyclically, and it was best fought with two players instead of the maximum 3 in order to minimize lag time and potential mixups when executing the counter), and I'm pretty sure this thing came first.

So AV which is the punchline to basically any and all unkillable superbosses, is apparently based on a boss (there are more similarities than just the gimmick, I am massively skimming here) who is only notable because it died to two guys who are a big deal.

AV might be somewhat similar to One Sin from .hack, but One Sin was actually killable.

For the unaware, in .hack's backstory, One Sin was a previously believed to be undefeatable boss that hanged around in Sickened Imprisoned Fallen Angel. It was a superboss with 65,536HP in a zone full of nasty high-level monsters in the first place. The One Sin would instantly counterattack any attack thrown at it, so many players never figured out its gimmick to kill it, since they'd just attack it and get their butts kicked.

In reality all it took was attacking it with the opposite element of whatever element it was currently using to deal damage. But that also meant, at least according to Balmung and Bear, and a certain Poet who was watching, you could never beat the One Sin using a conventional set-up. Three players would be too chaotic, so only two players could do it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Of course nobody could see through a mechanic that's been in every JRPG ever

Every time I hear about .Hack it sounds like none of the writers ever actually played a video game

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

That could apply to nearly every one of the anime/manga in the 'players inside an MMO' genre.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dexie posted:

That could apply to nearly every one of the anime/manga in the 'players inside an MMO' genre.

Log Horizon can be seen in opposite to that. If only from the authors own massive admission to being a giant MMO nerd

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

krisslanza posted:

AV might be somewhat similar to One Sin from .hack, but One Sin was actually killable.

For the unaware, in .hack's backstory, One Sin was a previously believed to be undefeatable boss that hanged around in Sickened Imprisoned Fallen Angel. It was a superboss with 65,536HP in a zone full of nasty high-level monsters in the first place. The One Sin would instantly counterattack any attack thrown at it, so many players never figured out its gimmick to kill it, since they'd just attack it and get their butts kicked.

In reality all it took was attacking it with the opposite element of whatever element it was currently using to deal damage. But that also meant, at least according to Balmung and Bear, and a certain Poet who was watching, you could never beat the One Sin using a conventional set-up. Three players would be too chaotic, so only two players could do it.

...How is that in any way too chaotic for three people?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eopia posted:

I've fought way, way more complicated and hectic bosses than that in FF14, routinely.

Hell one of the bosses in a dungeon in the new FF14 expansion has almost exactly that gimmick. That gimmick has been an FF series staple since the SNES days.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Eopia posted:

Just what the official novels said about it. One of the books I had has some players watch the fight, and say it'd been impossible to do it with a full party (3 people), because it'd be too chaotic. Presumably you have to perfectly time the attacks, so you could only do it with a duo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

Let's just hope they get the casting right.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh, good, we have a second chance to get Danny DeVito to voice a Pikachu.

:ninja:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Sindai posted:

Of course nobody could see through a mechanic that's been in every JRPG ever

Every time I hear about .Hack it sounds like none of the writers ever actually played a video game

That would go a long way to explaining why the developers' apparent platonic ideal for MMOs was Phantasy Star Online. No joke, The World was based directly on PSO, complete with every PC just being a generic class/gender-specific model with a color swap applied, the gameplay consisting of hub worlds and disconnected maps, and so on, and while that's not a bad setup for a console MMO, in-universe, the characters are all playing on computers. Granted, Everquest's Japanese release was a bit of a niche item, but still, you'd think they'd have done at least cursory research on western MMOs before making their overly ambitious multimedia franchise on the topic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think the intention behind One Sin is that it switches to whatever element you attack with. So two guys trading blows keep hitting the weak point, while a third is going to force the players to switch elements. Haven't read the novel though so that may work or be directly contradicted.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

though the third could go on strict healing duty - honestly as flawed as .hack's MMO premise is, it's still miles better than SAO's "Monsters don't respawn when killed" and hell everything is miles better than SAO

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Onmi posted:

In case people think edgy, tryhard poo poo like Reborn is an oddity in Pokemon Fangames

No, people still don't get it.

It's an outcropping of diehard fans wanting to make games more geared to 'adult' sensibilities.
I mean even if I don't agree with it, I get it. No 20-something wants to make a fangame for 10 year olds (unless they love kids I guess).
Unfortunately none of them seem to know where 'Adult' ends and 'Grimdark edgy bullshit' begins.
And I mean 'society where open dogfighting in the streets is not only allowed, but encouraged' is fertile ground for that sort of thing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

though the third could go on strict healing duty - honestly as flawed as .hack's MMO premise is, it's still miles better than SAO's "Monsters don't respawn when killed" and hell everything is miles better than SAO

SAO sounds like it was written by someone who only read about MMOs and never played any.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

SAO sounds like it was written by someone who only read about MMOs and never played any.

Someone actually did a video on analyzing SAO just as an actual game.
Many of its things that sound/look neat on paper... are actually really horrible for actual gameplay purposes. That's also ignoring the fact the author of SAO seems to think the single most important thing for an MMO player is their reflexes, given that is Kirito's single 'special' thing that makes him so strong.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Reminds me of some fantasy MMO that was being shilled on Imgur for a while - considers a 10+ year development cycle to be positive point, and include features such as in-game aging - including death from old age, characters persisting even when players logged off, maps only being available after someone goes out ad survey - and the most hilarious - that all 'law enforcement' in game will not be done by admins or employees but players.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Robindaybird posted:

Reminds me of some fantasy MMO that was being shilled on Imgur for a while - considers a 10+ year development cycle to be positive point, and include features such as in-game aging - including death from old age, characters persisting even when players logged off, maps only being available after someone goes out ad survey - and the most hilarious - that all 'law enforcement' in game will not be done by admins or employees but players.

That sounds like it'd go Lord of the Flies in literally seconds.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

krisslanza posted:

Someone actually did a video on analyzing SAO just as an actual game.
Many of its things that sound/look neat on paper... are actually really horrible for actual gameplay purposes. That's also ignoring the fact the author of SAO seems to think the single most important thing for an MMO player is their reflexes, given that is Kirito's single 'special' thing that makes him so strong.

Kirito was also a god-sue Self-Insert character, but that's besides the point in that Reki Kawahara can't write for poo poo. Seriously, the loving ABRIDGED SERIES by Something Witty on youtube told that anime's first arc better than the anime it's self.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The detective's romance needs to come from whoo-res.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

It's an outcropping of diehard fans wanting to make games more geared to 'adult' sensibilities.
I mean even if I don't agree with it, I get it. No 20-something wants to make a fangame for 10 year olds (unless they love kids I guess).
Unfortunately none of them seem to know where 'Adult' ends and 'Grimdark edgy bullshit' begins.
And I mean 'society where open dogfighting in the streets is not only allowed, but encouraged' is fertile ground for that sort of thing.

It's not the 20-somethings writing grimdark fanfic, it's teenagers.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ratoslov posted:

That sounds like it'd go Lord of the Flies in literally seconds.

Yeah, that's something everyone who isn't literally shilling the game or apparently are the same dumbasses who backed Star Citizen had pointed out: You cannot trust an online community of any size to self-regulate without it going to hell.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
Took a look at the thread that onmi screenshotted earlier, saw this quote -- looks like developers didn't use tripcodes so it could be an impersonator, but doesn't quite look that way:

quote:

HI Im the other guy whos working on this game. The only thing I'll say is that he has ideas for other Elemental Monkeys for EVERY type. Like Panpour Pansear and Pansage. We are also giving ALL of them evolutions, which means around 60 ish monkeys. We would love to hear what you people think of this great idea!

why are people like this

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

You 95% described the Raidou Kuzunoha games on PS2.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

tunapirate posted:

Took a look at the thread that onmi screenshotted earlier, saw this quote -- looks like developers didn't use tripcodes so it could be an impersonator, but doesn't quite look that way:

why are people like this

Nobody even likes them to begin with

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Testekill posted:

The joke being they were useful for all of one gym in White/Black 1, lovely and were to be evolved and then tossed in the box to rot away till the end of time. WHY they did that, other than to "teach" children type matchups, I will never understand. Poor, poor monkies, you suck and nobody wants you...*insert monkey brains joke here*

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Testekill posted:

that's what makes it a good joke (and an obvious troll, but still)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I like the monkeys. :(

• Locked thread