Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012

Yaws posted:

So who is ethical in Star Wars? Since contrarian readings are abound here, is it Palpatine?

SMG has always said Vader is the ethical character in Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Vader is basically Spartacus.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Vader is basically Spartacus.

I'm Darth Vader.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1SsiDSbr-o

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

homullus posted:

R2 is established as a liar entirely within ANH (claiming that he can only replay the Leia holo if Luke unchains him). Obi-Wan actually said he didn't recall owning one, though.

That's true. He is pretty old and he could be getting senile. How old is Obi-wan in ANH? 45? 50?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Super Fan posted:

Obi-Wans name has been sullied for reasons beyond his control.

You do know that Obi-Wan is a character in a movie right?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

UmOk posted:

That's true. He is pretty old and he could be getting senile. How old is Obi-wan in ANH? 45? 50?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

For real? He looks around 80. Must be that hard tatooine life.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Alec Guinness was 63 during ANH.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Seriously. Luke looks about on Obiwan's level in TFA and the span between the OT and NT is nearly double the span between the PT and OT.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Beeez posted:

SMG has always said Vader is the ethical character in Star Wars.

He ethics the poo poo out of those younglings.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Seriously. Luke looks about on Obiwan's level in TFA and the span between the OT and NT is nearly double the span between the PT and OT.

Retirement on chill Irish Viking cruise planet vs hot rear end sand Oakie planet.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Saying someone is ethical is pretty meaningless. Ethics are in the eyes of the beerholder.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

It's actually a little odd that people see the "good friend" bit as dishonest. Obi-Wan really did consider Anakin his brother, and felt betrayed by someone he loved when he fell to the Dark Side.

RBA Starblade posted:

He ethics the poo poo out of those younglings.

That's kind of the joke. Ethics and morality can come into conflict.

A quick example from pop culture is Jaime Lannister killing King Aerys; Jaime chooses to kill the King he swore to protect to prevent an atrocity, choosing moral good over ethical duty. The Kingsguard is held to an especially high ethical standard, but his peers are powerless to do more than call him "kingslayer" due to the ironic fact that they were themselves in rebellion against their king. Although Ned Stark wanted to kill him on the spot, perhaps the most telling revelation of the ultimate emptiness of Stark's pose of moral and ethical clarity.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 8, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Haha. Is that Leftovers Wars? Pretty awesome combination of some of the best things ever.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I guess this deleted scene is now canon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX0CDwZJe-s

Because of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3II-zqUe6M

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chuy got turned out by a wampa? This new Star Wars is pretty edgy.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

That's kind of the joke. Ethics and morality can come into conflict.

A quick example from pop culture is Jaime Lannister killing King Aerys; Jaime chooses to kill the King he swore to protect to prevent an atrocity, choosing moral good over ethical duty. The Kingsguard is held to an especially high ethical standard, but his peers are powerless to do more than call him "kingslayer" due to the ironic fact that they were themselves in rebellion against their king. Although Ned Stark wanted to kill him on the spot, perhaps the most telling revelation of the ultimate emptiness of Stark's pose of moral and ethical clarity.

Anakin kills a bunch of children to stanch the risk of future civil war (which totally worked, obviously). That makes a certain amount of practical sense, but it's obviously a moral atrocity. There's no excuse for doing that. Only a monster would claim it was justified. You could argue it's some sort of "ethical", from the philosophical standpoint of the Sith, but what right-thinking person would ever promote such a system of ethics as being "good"?

That's the issue that's being dealt with in the movie. From Anakin's point of view he's doing the right thing, but that doesn't matter, because he isn't right. You can do all sorts of fancy ends-justify-the-means logical gymnastics to try to justify what he's doing, but the instinctive feeling of shock and repulsion you feel seeing this

is all you need to know that it's wrong. Anakin knows it's wrong too, on some level, but he makes a choice to ignore his better instincts in favor of cold, machine-like logic which the Sith philosophy systematically conflates with liberating human passion.

That's something that doesn't get talked about a lot. Darth Vader is an unfeeling robot, but he's also an emblem of unrestrained passion and rage. The paradox is that failing to exercise any sort of control over our passions actually makes us emotionally numb in the long run. Darth Vader doesn't actually get any gratification from his anger, like he was promised. He's just going through the motions, going to greater and greater lengths in his monstrosity and continually chasing after that elusive high like the addict that he is, in a misguided attempt to experience some sort of real human feeling again.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even the script for ANH says

A New Hope script posted:

His ancient leathery face, cracked and
weathered by exotic climates is set off by dark, penetrating
eyes and a scraggly white beard.

so even back then it mentioned the "exotic climates" of the various worlds he's been on as part of the reason he looks the way he looks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh I'm not saying it isn't wrong, I'm marveling at how lovely Obiwan's life turned out.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

Anakin kills a bunch of children to stanch the risk of future civil war (which totally worked, obviously). That makes a certain amount of practical sense, but it's obviously a moral atrocity.

I thought it was more to get rid of any competition. Those little kids could have also been taken and trained to be dark jedi, or whatever. But Vader is a selfish bastard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

spacetoaster posted:

I thought it was more to get rid of any competition. Those little kids could have also been taken and trained to be dark jedi, or whatever. But Vader is a selfish bastard.

Anakin killed the kid's on Palpatine's orders.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's same way they perceive Star Wars as a simulation where the laws of an alternate universe are set to make slavery objectively, canonically pleasurable - and racism is objectively correct because the droids were made (by God Lucas) to suffer (it's their lot in life).

You offer the liberal, centrist flipside where Luke is canonically a nice liberal humanist good guy who treats his "servants" (chained slaves) well. He's just naturally ethical because he's the protagonist and you're not supposed to question anything he does. That's his lot in life.

You use 'actually' incorrectly in your post, ignoring Luke's actions (the enslavement) in favour of his intentions or his nature or whatever.

Ironically, your conclusion circles back to the idea that droids aren't people: Luke isn't enslaving anyone; in this instance he simply has 'a human relationship with technology.'

The difference is that droid racism is not strictly ideological. In human racism, I do not recognize myself in another, so strange thoughts arise internally, which in turn structure reality. Droid racism as an ideology is needed to even (initially) conceive/create droids, thereby only reaching actualization in reality itself.

Even though an intelligent life form creating another intelligent life form for forced labor is inherently wrong, this particular relation (What you dismiss as purely ideological: the human relationship with technology) still only reaches actualization externally and is the gap to be overcome. Droids are both people like us (Made in our image) and not people like us.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 9, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

spacetoaster posted:

Go back and watch the flick--Palpatine specifically indicates Vader has to do bad things to raise his Dark Side Power Level (DSPL) in order to unlock top tier abilities, one of which is Saving The One You Love (STOYL). I'm not kidding!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
More "dark jedi" running around is the last thing anyone needs, which is part of the reason Sheev had everyone killed in the first place.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

porfiria posted:

Go back and watch the flick--Palpatine specifically indicates Vader has to do bad things to raise his Dark Side Power Level (DSPL) in order to unlock top tier abilities, one of which is Saving The One You Love (STOYL). I'm not kidding!

Could you give me the time stamp at the point he does this specifically?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

These are from the script. I don't recall if the lines in the finished product differed, and I don't feel like checking right now.

quote:

PALPATINE: We must move quickly. The Jedi are relentless; if they are not all destroyed, it will be civil war without end. First, I want you to go to the Jedi Temple. We will catch them off balance. Do what must be done, Lord Vader. Do not hesitate. Show no mercy. Only then will you be strong enough with the dark side to save Padme.

quote:

ANAKIN: The traitors have been taken care of, Lord Sidious.

DARTH SlDIOUS: Good . . . good . . . You have done well, my new apprentice. Do you feel your power growing?

ANAKIN: Yes, My Master.

DARTH SlDIOUS: Now, Lord Vader, now go and bring peace to the Empire.

Of course, this is the same Palpatine who would later, in 1983, say things like "Your hate has made you powerful." It's not that doing evil deeds makes him stronger - it's the emotional component that he considers important. In that sense he had other Jedi are in agreement.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Twenty years of living in the desert, drinking your rear end off, thinking about how everything and everyone you knew has been destroyed, and shouldering the guilt that your failure allowed darkness to overtake the galaxy will age you a decade or two extra, who knew.

Naturally, the old EU had to awkwardly explain the aging. Something to do with Ben overhearing about a famous actor who got his good looks obliterated by life in the desert. lol

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Bongo Bill posted:

These are from the script. I don't recall if the lines in the finished product differed, and I don't feel like checking right now.

Of course, this is the same Palpatine who would later, in 1983, say things like "Your hate has made you powerful." It's not that doing evil deeds makes him stronger - it's the emotional component that he considers important. In that sense he had other Jedi are in agreement.

It's weird, but those younglings give a ton of exp :shrug:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

It's the Sith equivalent of the tutorial adventure where you kill the rats in the tavern cellar.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Its a purposeful catch-up mechanic, when you reclass from jedi to sith you keep all your stat points but your level gets reset to 1 so you can quickly grind out levels for points to spend on your new powers.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Younglings give almost nil XP, but as completely innocent and cherubic NPCs, killing them gives mundo Darkside Points, which you need to unlock...Lay on Hands? I guess because it's going against God's order or whatever in Lucas's cosmology.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
PRANK GONE WRONG Politician convinces soldier to join insane mystic cult

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

porfiria posted:

Younglings give almost nil XP, but as completely innocent and cherubic NPCs, killing them gives mundo Darkside Points, which you need to unlock...Lay on Hands? I guess because it's going against God's order or whatever in Lucas's cosmology.

It's kind of like eating those baby chicks in Fable, no one actually expects you to and you're just going to gross everyone else out if you do but you can if you really want to.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Set photos from the Han Solo film show off Han, Chewie, Woody Harrelson's character, and...some lady.

But more importantly, in the video near the end, is that an Ewok in a glass cage? On the left.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 9, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Perhaps our heroes encounter an entirely original "Collector" character who very subtly reflects the vile consumerism at the heart of its primary audience?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
new han is like 5,5 feet tall

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Beeez posted:

Even the script for ANH says

so even back then it mentioned the "exotic climates" of the various worlds he's been on as part of the reason he looks the way he looks.

It's possible he was intended to be older--ancient, even, like Yoda is eventually established to be. There must be some reason Tarkin just plain assumes he "must be dead by now."

But that was before Anakin and Vader were the same person. Going back and making Episode I, Obi-Wan had to be a young man but not too young to start training Anakin at the end of the movie, and Anakin had to be of an age so that he would be "a young Jedi" (as Ben describes Darth Vader in ANH) by Episode III, which had to take place at the most nineteen or so years before Episode IV. That necessitated a little bit of fudging of Obi-Wan's age in the originals. Of course in reality the fudging just ended up making Obi-Wan only seven years younger in Episode IV than Alec Guinness actually was, so it's not like there's some insurmountable visual discrepancy.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 10, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6Kpab-lqI

I'm screaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I can safely say that that has literally never crossed my mind even momentarily.

• Locked thread