Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think my family is Catholic solely for the support structure and community since they are immigrants. Great way to make quick friends and jobs or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Yeah, conformity to the norm is rewarded. That is the foundation of civilization.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think eating insects and plants is probably better than veganism.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Billboards and other tall signage should be banned everywhere.

Also, and this may be because I live in Texas and it's 100+ degrees three months out of the year, gently caress sign spinning too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

Billboards and other tall signage should be banned everywhere.

Also, and this may be because I live in Texas and it's 100+ degrees three months out of the year, gently caress sign spinning too.

I'm originally from hick rear end west TX and hate it, but my home city banned tall signage and sign-spinning. Small victories :) Both of those things are absolutely awful.

E: it's still kind of jarring being anywhere else and seeing some huge IHOP sign or whatever towering on the horizon like some Ozymandias poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jul 7, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
One of the major highways in my city has no advertising along about 20-30km of it, and it's really refreshing not to have all that visual noise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want Blade Runner style ads everywhere day and night. Maybe it could pay for bridge tolls.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

thanks

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not using the PHUO thread to explain to you how various religious groups see their texts, you belligerent buffoon. Let it be known however that you're wrong and a moron, as befits a proud citizen of your flyover Trump-voting wasteland of a state. Here in places with margins closer than that of Texas we actually have a lot of groups with pretty nuanced opinions. Ain't the reform jews fault that the only people near you are insane baptists.

too bad youre totally wrong. no need to lash out in anger about it, foolio. Im absolutely correct in that youre either lying (not likely) or that youre inconsistent in your assessment.

yet anothet poster owned by Jastiger.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

doverhog posted:

Lots of religious people use their "faith" mainly as a way to signal to their peers that they belong to the group and conform to its ways. It's sort of like wearing a cowboy hat or truck nuts, only more pretentious.

I think you have that backwards, or maybe the people you know are a lot less obnoxious about cowboy attire and trucks

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Complaining that something doesn't rhyme is one of the dumbest, most vapid complaints you can make about a piece of music.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

Complaining that something doesn't rhyme is one of the dumbest, most vapid complaints you can make about a piece of music.

My favorite criticism I ever got about our music was "it sounds too angry for electronic music." I used to have the review printed out and taped to my JX-305.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

My favorite criticism I ever got about our music was "it sounds too angry for electronic music." I used to have the review printed out and taped to my JX-305.

I'll have you know I just sat here and blinked at this.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

too bad youre totally wrong. no need to lash out in anger about it, foolio. Im absolutely correct in that youre either lying (not likely) or that youre inconsistent in your assessment.

yet anothet poster owned by Jastiger.

And yet is the south owned people you'd find some way to complain.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

And yet is the south owned people you'd find some way to complain.

What?!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doing something for charity, even if it's something silly like dumping water over your head or trying to play a videogame very fast, is good.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's good to have a wicked case of the farts. Not so good for anyone else, but for you, your own farts arent so bad. They can even be kinda pleasant. I've been farting up a storm all day and my house is saturated with great billowing clouds of fart fumes. I cant see more than a couple feet in front of me, so thick and dense is the fart fog. No big deal.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Doing something for charity, even if it's something silly like dumping water over your head or trying to play a videogame very fast, is good.

Charity is mostly about making you feel better, not doing good for someone else. Almost all charity is completely bullshit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Working at a soup kitchen or volunteering at a free clinic is the best way to get your "charity" fix if you actually care. Tossing $20 at a speedrunner to pay for the venue they're in, and oh maybe some of it goes to cancer is worthless. Giving a homeless guy $1 so he can buy a bottle of Night Train and fall asleep in the cold is a more substantial way of charity than most real charities.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
One time I spent the day thatching walls for houses in a downtown slum, porcupining the poo poo outta my hands in the process. Then some company up and bulldozed the whole thing two weeks later.
I just donate to Shriners now.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

starkebn posted:

Charity is mostly about making you feel better, not doing good for someone else. Almost all charity is completely bullshit.

I don't know about ice cube challenges and speed runs, but charity does not just mean giving to a corporation that files its taxes as a non-profit. Caritas is the expression of love you have for someone without expecting a return. Caritas can be like you standing by a friend when they're dying. Your with them in their last moments, even if it's frightening and unpleasant. You're not going to see them after that day, but you're still there when they asked you to be, and you didn't have to.

Performing charity for friends and family is easier to do than it is for strangers. That's reasonable, you're not expected to sacrifice yourself. But you can practice no-strings-attached kindness even in small ways: by looking your server in the eye and smiling, by driving with respect and courtesy, by saying please and thank you.

And if performing acts of friendships with all makes you feel better or increases your human capital, that's all fine. We are the social primates of apex complexity. We need to conceive of harmony so that we can survive mundanely.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Caufman posted:

I don't know about ice cube challenges and speed runs, but charity does not just mean giving to a corporation that files its taxes as a non-profit. Caritas is the expression of love you have for someone without expecting a return. Caritas can be like you standing by a friend when they're dying. Your with them in their last moments, even if it's frightening and unpleasant. You're not going to see them after that day, but you're still there when they asked you to be, and you didn't have to.

Performing charity for friends and family is easier to do than it is for strangers. That's reasonable, you're not expected to sacrifice yourself. But you can practice no-strings-attached kindness even in small ways: by looking your server in the eye and smiling, by driving with respect and courtesy, by saying please and thank you.
That is pretty clearly not what starkebn was talking about at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you want to make a difference,You could always get a job serving underprivileged/underserved people and barely make enough to survive yourself :911:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Tiggum posted:

That is pretty clearly not what starkebn was talking about at all.

Yeah, personal "being a good person" is not what I'd call charity in this sense

starkebn
May 18, 2004

revolution is the only moral form of charity

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Caufman posted:

But you can practice no-strings-attached kindness even in small ways: by looking your server in the eye and smiling,

Don't do this if you are ugly though, that's creepy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

starkebn posted:

This is a purely semantic question but I since charity is so seldom* used to mean the character trait nowadays it would be better to refer to that as altruism.

*) Well, pretty much never.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
happily married adult Peter Parker is a way better character than teenage nerd Peter Parker.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I'm politically far left of the American "left" but I pretty much hate my peers and think they're childish and myopic.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I assume by your peers you mean people you make up in your head while reading internet posts

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i consider myself to be not on the political spectrum, because i have no faith in any political candidates, or the people that know nothing about the ideals they claim to support. elton john for president 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

i consider myself to be not on the political spectrum, because i have no faith in any political candidates, or the people that know nothing about the ideals they claim to support. elton john for president 2020

"I'm sure this rich white fat gently caress willing to pay anything to cover up his bald head will make a great president."

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jerry Cotton posted:

"I'm sure this rich white fat gently caress willing to pay anything to cover up his bald head will make a great president."

bill sure was a good president

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

hawowanlawow posted:

I assume by your peers you mean people you make up in your head while reading internet posts

I assume you have steered clear of leftbook

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I agree with you. Facebook has shown me that most of my far left leaning friends are about as dumb and irritating as your racist uncle, just on the other end of the spectrum. Just the whining and the constant need to be offended over everything gets grating as all hell. Even if I agree with most of it. Pick your battles.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cis women are inferior to trans women. Weaker, dumber, and soon to become obsolete. For there is nothing the cis woman can do that the trans woman cannot do. We also take it up the butt whereas the cis woman is all like "ewwwww I poop from there!" We are the future.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Normal men are better still.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I exist above gender, normies. REEEEEEEE!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star posted:

Cis women are inferior to trans women. Weaker, dumber, and soon to become obsolete. For there is nothing the cis woman can do that the trans woman cannot do. We also take it up the butt whereas the cis woman is all like "ewwwww I poop from there!" We are the future.

Dang thats a pretty strong argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Dang thats a pretty strong argument.

I guess once we figure out a way to make a mechanical uterus we'll be all set in just abolishing cis women altogether. The only downside I can think of would be all the extra expense it will cause business owners since they won't be able to pay one gender less anymore. Oh well, the times will keep marching forward!